PDA

View Full Version : laptop suggestion for work

Topgunben
08-07-2020, 02:07 PM
I need a laptop for work. No Macs

I will spend 90% of my time checking emails, using google docs and sheets, google maps and looking at PDFs

I dont intend on gaming on this as it will be almost strictly for work. I would like to be able to run a 2nd monitor off the laptop though.

I want something that wont overheat, has a good battery life and wont break

Any suggestions would be great. Id like to stay around $1000 or less.

Gwaihir
08-07-2020, 02:17 PM
1000$ for a work-only laptop?

Literally any of the multitude of the 300$ laptops on sale for back to remote-schooling will work for this.

Torrent a cracked version of MS office to avoid microsoft 360 subs and you're golden.

Blingy
08-07-2020, 02:33 PM

Literally any of the multitude of the 300$ laptops on sale for back to remote-schooling will work for this.

Torrent a cracked version of MS office to avoid microsoft 360 subs and you're golden.

I'll second this.

Head to Costco and grab nearly any machine. No need for a dedicated video card. If Costco isn't an option then head to Best Buy or basically any big box store.

I prefer Lenovo but that's just me. Dell Latitude makes good systems with nice battery life. Here's a place to start:

https://www.costco.com/dell-17%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-1065g7.product.100673161.html

https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-17-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-1065g7---geforce-mx230---1080p.product.100517984.html

https://www.costco.com/lenovo-flex-5-series-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-1065g7---1080p.product.100568245.html

Topgunben
08-07-2020, 02:42 PM
thanks. I havent bought a laptop since 2007. Back then battery life was horrible, seemed like i was lucky to get an hour and a half out of my laptop.

Ive been spoiled working with triple 27 inch screens, but I need something portable now.

If i could get 5 working battery hours out of a laptop, I would be happy.

Snortles Chortles
08-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Small Latitudes have had 5hr+ battery life since 2015
Why doesn’t “work” give you one? 🤨

Topgunben
08-07-2020, 03:12 PM
Small Latitudes have had 5hr+ battery life since 2015
Why doesn’t “work” give you one? 🤨

I'm the boss.

Snortles Chortles
08-07-2020, 03:15 PM
my consulting fee will be $575
thank you

Bigsham
08-07-2020, 08:08 PM

This is what a dirt poor poster looks like, if you dont get a gaming laptop the display will be garbagio and as soon as you open microsoft word it will go into turbo mode and the fans will heat up and it will get hot and annoying

I purchased an alienware Area 51 Laptop last year and loved it so much i bought another, they were a bit above 1k

Another alternative is toshiba satellite, one of the best displays money can buy and its almost always around 800$ and nothing will come close

Dont buy anything from dell

Snortles Chortles
08-07-2020, 11:21 PM
hurr durr alienware is owned by dell (LOL)
XPS's are decent gaming laptops, not that i would ever buy one (SiP)

Kich867
08-07-2020, 11:31 PM
This is what a dirt poor poster looks like, if you dont get a gaming laptop the display will be garbagio and as soon as you open microsoft word it will go into turbo mode and the fans will heat up and it will get hot and annoying

I purchased an alienware Area 51 Laptop last year and loved it so much i bought another, they were a bit above 1k

Another alternative is toshiba satellite, one of the best displays money can buy and its almost always around 800$ and nothing will come close

Dont buy anything from dell

Are alienwares any thinner? The last one I saw looked like a fucking brick that overheated constantly. Why would you bother? So far every laptop I've had that wasn't a mac felt like flimsy plastic and poverty. Also MacOS being basically Linux makes my job about 50x easier.

Izmael
08-08-2020, 05:34 AM
Check out Clevo computers.

These are barebone laptops that can be tailored exactly to your needs. It's perfect for a work laptop, if you don't need a GPU, for example.

I have one, I'm very happy with it. I was looking for a laptop WITHOUT a GPU, just with the integratel intel graphics. Turns out it's really hard to find these days, if you want it to have a reasonable powerful CPU, as well.

With Clevo I just ordered a 32 GB / i7-9750H / 2 TB barebones with an IPS 4k display and it's as perfect as it gets for my needs:

- it's quite powerful. I do a lot of development and it often requires a lot of CPU power.
- it's not thin. I don't understand why a laptop needs to be thin. I'm not a 3 y/o girl, I can carry 1 kg around.
- it's cheap - I didn't have to dish out $3k for a Dell with equivalent power. It cost me like $700. If it breaks too badly I can just buy a new one, problem solved. Don't have to worry about sending it back, getting replacement while it's being repaired, arguing/worrying/etc.
- it's generic - no weird drivers, no weird bugs, it's just some RAM with an SSD and an Intel CPU.
- it has a ton of ports: fuck this "all you need is 1 thunderbolt port" stuff that makes you hate life unless all you do with your laptop is to check how many likes your latest duck face selfie on instagram received. I can plug an ethernet cable in it without worrying. HDMI, Displayport, no problem. USB? Sure, a few. SD card, no problem. I'm pretty sure you can even request a floppy drive built in, if that is your thing.
- it has a great, power-user oriented keyboard, not some bad imitation of already bad Apple keyboards that are good only if your typing speed is of 6 wpm on a good day (but look cool).

I use it as my main computer - move quite often between our main place and country house, have docking setups with 2 external monitors in both places. Works like a charm.

One downside: No GPU means that playing P99 will suck on it nowadays, since the dyn light "fixes". You need a dedicated GPU for it. It will be annoyingly choppy otherwise. If you don't game, it's a non-issue.

Mead
08-08-2020, 08:41 AM
I bought an MSI GP65 Leopard off of newegg Dec 2019 and I love this thing. MSI is a solid product. I had an Alienware before that which got fried by lightening through the ethernet port. I wasn't really impressed with it but I wouldn't have bought another one if it wasn't for that unfortunate event. I will definitely go MSI again.

My PC is custom from newegg as well. I've been ordering from them since 2008. I've never had any issues.

Jimjam
08-08-2020, 11:23 AM
I sent my laptop into repair as it has a plan.

While that happens I’m using a bricked NB500 that I fixed by replacing the hdd to ssd and a fresh install of 32bit win10. Didn’t think it would work as its specs are awful (atom processor and 2GB of ddr3) but it runs google mail, sheets, docs, hang outs fine while also running helpscout and database enquiry stuff for cs/logistics stuff. I think my wife originally got the machine for thirty quid and the new ssd was another 15.

I’m not suggesting investing in such an archaic machine or such low specs, merely providing evidence that for the use case you suggest most of your 1k is spent better elsewhere, unless you are simply laundering. What do you really want to do with it?

Topgunben
08-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Check out Clevo computers.

These are barebone laptops that can be tailored exactly to your needs. It's perfect for a work laptop, if you don't need a GPU, for example.

I have one, I'm very happy with it. I was looking for a laptop WITHOUT a GPU, just with the integratel intel graphics. Turns out it's really hard to find these days, if you want it to have a reasonable powerful CPU, as well.

With Clevo I just ordered a 32 GB / i7-9750H / 2 TB barebones with an IPS 4k display and it's as perfect as it gets for my needs:

- it's quite powerful. I do a lot of development and it often requires a lot of CPU power.
- it's not thin. I don't understand why a laptop needs to be thin. I'm not a 3 y/o girl, I can carry 1 kg around.
- it's cheap - I didn't have to dish out $3k for a Dell with equivalent power. It cost me like $700. If it breaks too badly I can just buy a new one, problem solved. Don't have to worry about sending it back, getting replacement while it's being repaired, arguing/worrying/etc.
- it's generic - no weird drivers, no weird bugs, it's just some RAM with an SSD and an Intel CPU.
- it has a ton of ports: fuck this "all you need is 1 thunderbolt port" stuff that makes you hate life unless all you do with your laptop is to check how many likes your latest duck face selfie on instagram received. I can plug an ethernet cable in it without worrying. HDMI, Displayport, no problem. USB? Sure, a few. SD card, no problem. I'm pretty sure you can even request a floppy drive built in, if that is your thing.
- it has a great, power-user oriented keyboard, not some bad imitation of already bad Apple keyboards that are good only if your typing speed is of 6 wpm on a good day (but look cool).

I use it as my main computer - move quite often between our main place and country house, have docking setups with 2 external monitors in both places. Works like a charm.

One downside: No GPU means that playing P99 will suck on it nowadays, since the dyn light "fixes". You need a dedicated GPU for it. It will be annoyingly choppy otherwise. If you don't game, it's a non-issue.

Ill check it out. Very insightful post.

Do Americans use Clevo? Seems everything is in Euros.

Bigsham
08-08-2020, 04:32 PM
I bought an MSI GP65 Leopard off of newegg Dec 2019 and I love this thing. MSI is a solid product. I had an Alienware before that which got fried by lightening through the ethernet port. I wasn't really impressed with it but I wouldn't have bought another one if it wasn't for that unfortunate event. I will definitely go MSI again.

My PC is custom from newegg as well. I've been ordering from them since 2008. I've never had any issues.

i Love msi but they advertise a super long battery life high quality screen but it looks weird, go see it in person before you bite on it

Insomnia
08-08-2020, 07:09 PM
Look on your local facebook marketplace. Around me theres a guy who cleans out and factory restores laptops from companies who upgrade. Bought a i5 thinkpad with 6gb of ram and a 500gb ssd for only $150. He has a few i7 with 8gb of ram right now for only $200 i might consider buying one.

Izmael
08-08-2020, 07:38 PM
Ill check it out. Very insightful post.

Do Americans use Clevo? Seems everything is in Euros.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/SuggestALaptop/comments/l1xbj/sagerclevo_where_to_buy_sticky/

Clevo is a barebones manufacturer. Lots of small or medium sized companies buy the parts from them, build laptops (with or without offering customization on a per-user basis), then sell them as their own brand with a different name.

So you have to find these companies then do the research, it can take a while.

It was worth the effort for me because I had a lot of requirements for my laptop and I gave up on finding one that would meet them all on the regular market.

But if you don't have that many requirements, it might be a better idea to just go with something more standard like MSI, Acer, Dell... etc, for the support quality (you don't buy a Clevo for the support).

At any rate, do your research and compare a ton. It sucks to be stuck with a laptop you don't like.

Hathapasse
08-08-2020, 09:27 PM
You should check out HP Spectra. I think you might need to extend your budget a bit for that, but it will surely be worth it.

Bigsham
08-09-2020, 01:22 PM
hurr durr alienware is owned by dell (LOL)
XPS's are decent gaming laptops, not that i would ever buy one (SiP)

Owned by yes but company still operating independently and they still doing things the way they did before

basically nothing like how dell does things

Cecily
08-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Thanks for this post. I have a 17" 5.5 lbs laptop that's way too heavy to carry around for school, especially with the power cord which is probably another 2 or 3 lbs.

I'm looking for a 13" light weight non-gaming laptop with a little bit of power for nursing school, if anyone has suggestions in addition to what's been posted.

Topgunben
08-10-2020, 02:30 PM
just FYI, so far Costco seems to have the best deals on Laptops.

Bigsham
08-10-2020, 09:02 PM
The last thing you want is "A deal" when shopping for something you will use hours a day

but you should rename this thread to the dirt poor kids thread

or better yet

the transgender healthcare professional thread

Cecily
08-11-2020, 12:10 AM
I'm good with that. What would you recommend I get?

Jimjam
08-11-2020, 03:47 AM
The last thing you want is "A deal" when shopping for something you will use hours a day

but you should rename this thread to the dirt poor kids thread

or better yet

the transgender healthcare professional thread

This is true, it flabbergasts me how many people skimp on things like mattresses; an item where you spend literal years of your life using.

On the other hand, you need to make sure you are putting money into the right places. Like do you really need a 3D infrared cam and double GPU on a word processor? It’s just more shit to go wrong.

I always recommend a good bed.

Cecily
08-11-2020, 04:35 AM
I do want to get a futon again... I had one like this when I lived in Baltimore and it was the best thing ever. You see, it's a couch and a bed.

https://imgur.com/dxu2REB.jpg

Bigsham
08-11-2020, 06:33 PM

A Job

and stop saying your a healthcare professional when you havent even gone to nursing school yet

( They probably wont let you in anyway )

Jimjam
08-12-2020, 08:12 AM
Mantras are an effective psychological tool to help you bring about the reality you want.

Ceci didn’t even mention it in that post and it’s already in your head!

I’m a really useful poster!

BlackBellamy
08-12-2020, 09:03 AM
You also convinced me to be your friend. Probably the first one to use words alone and typed ones at that! Some kind of Continental Hypnotism, not sure, but yeah anyway I agree we are both useful posters.

Also both extremely wealthy and handsome.

I just said that to attract more friends. I'm hooked on this shit now. If you get any spillover send them my way.

Bigsham
08-12-2020, 09:57 AM
Wealthy people definitley drive 20 year old jeep wranglers

BlackBellamy
08-12-2020, 03:40 PM
Well yeah by definition no? I am wealthy. I drive a 21 year old Wrangler. Therefore wealthy people drive 21 year old Wranglers.

If you need me to explain or show what people at various income levels typically do, I'm right there for you.