PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Races

ShadyNapster
08-03-2020, 08:24 PM
Hey guys, I’m looking to create a wizard. I’ve never played one, and generally play as evil races but am open to others. With that said, what are race suggestions and advantages that I may or may not have thought of or considered? I will be semi-twinking it out from the start.

Thanks !

Ps if your quitting or retired your wizard on green and are interested in selling your gear for plat such me a message. A one stop shop would be awesome compared to sitting in EC or farming for hours.

Muggens
08-03-2020, 09:09 PM
Erudite

Or dark elf

(Some make a gnome, dunno why)

DMN
08-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Best stats including bonus magic resist is found on erudite.

Two good racial abilities on gnomes(looking through walls)and dark elves, who can hide.

The way most wizards solo, the hide ability will be far more useful make it safer to AFK between kills. Wizards rarely try soloing in dungeons where looking through walls is more useful. They also lack any lull abilities which you don't need line of sight for.

You will be night blind on an erudite for awhile, so that is something to keep in mind.

I think they are all about equally good depending on the criteria you want to include.

Kirdan
08-03-2020, 10:02 PM
FashionQuest is the endgame, therefore human wins.

Oddbaal
08-03-2020, 10:09 PM
I would think, based on your post, dark elf is the way to go. You start with ultra vision so no need to keep that on a spell gem. And hide will be super useful for safe meds. You said you like evil, embrace it! However, if you don’t want to be evil ... erudite is the way to go stat wise. That huge mana pool feels real nice early. Even more so if you’re thinking. Guess it comes down to which one you like more! Gl

Philistine
08-03-2020, 10:22 PM
I don't know what I'm talking about, but I always figured when I made a wizard it'd be a DE for hide and those long med breaks

Saaxir Asimatenya
08-04-2020, 02:02 AM
The descendants of Erud are the masters of the arcane. If you wish to be most adept at the art of wizardry, follow the path of the Crimson Hand beginning in Erudin. (Erudites have the highest base int, which leaves more room for +hp, +mp, +resist gear while still having maximum int. Plus, you get a hood which is essential for a wizard.)

ShadyNapster
08-04-2020, 05:36 AM
Awesome, reads like it comes down to DE or Eru. With that said, does religion matter much to a wizzy?

drackgon
08-04-2020, 06:31 AM
Sol Ro gives access to nice rings later on. High elf Tunare gives access to PoG only item quest. And Bert gives access to nice earring/neck(better version then Black sapphire).
Just know Bert will make you KoS to some areas, just like Tunare. Sol Ro seems to be more neutral.

Jimjam
08-04-2020, 07:56 AM
Human best in slot.

ShadyNapster
08-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Never played an Erudite, but is it considered large in the sense that some areas you can not cast where others can? De sk can cast in many locations a troll sk is stuck crouched If not shrunk. ( just using as comparison )

Saaxir Asimatenya
08-04-2020, 12:25 PM
I have had no issues with height when it comes to casting.

Samoht
08-04-2020, 12:59 PM
DE, Sol Ro, put starting points in STR (INT is super easy to cap out)

sajbert
08-04-2020, 03:52 PM
DE, no doubt. Erudites have more int but it makes no diff since it’s so easy to max out INT. Even in Classic you can easily get past 200 int.

Hide has its uses for AFK but ultravision is INSANELY good, erudites are bloody blind at night.

Faction makes zero difference. You can port to Gfay and bank in Felwithe as an Erudite I guess but Nek isn’t too bad either.

I can’t recommend the wizard class though.

- You pretty much need Jboots for quadding.
- Quadding is hard to do in Classic when few locations work and are ever free and besides, druids even do it better for now.
- You suck in groups even if you can find one
- You can’t solo dungeons for shit
- Poor open world plat farmer and ports bring in poor money for most portions of the day
- Epic is hard to get
- Monotonous gameplay with almost no interesting abilities

+ Great AFK leveler, just look at your computer every 7-12 min.
+ Ports are convenient
+ Braindead no think-gameplay for max chillax

Gorster
08-04-2020, 07:18 PM
DE, Sol Ro, put starting points in STR (INT is super easy to cap out)

Pretty much this; it is what I did with my Wiz I think I spent 15/15 Str/Int on creation. Casual slow leveling so gear is gonna be, and still is trash, so carry weight has been nice. Hide is nice for afking when out bummin around the world.

Muggens
08-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Why not play the friggin character model you enjoy the most, its an rpg after all

Wiz is a great raider

rbprosser1
08-05-2020, 08:41 AM
DE, no doubt. Erudites have more int but it makes no diff since it’s so easy to max out INT. Even in Classic you can easily get past 200 int.

Hide has its uses for AFK but ultravision is INSANELY good, erudites are bloody blind at night.

Faction makes zero difference. You can port to Gfay and bank in Felwithe as an Erudite I guess but Nek isn’t too bad either.

I can’t recommend the wizard class though.

- You pretty much need Jboots for quadding.
- Quadding is hard to do in Classic when few locations work and are ever free and besides, druids even do it better for now.
- You suck in groups even if you can find one
- You can’t solo dungeons for shit
- Poor open world plat farmer and ports bring in poor money for most portions of the day
- Epic is hard to get
- Monotonous gameplay with almost no interesting abilities

+ Great AFK leveler, just look at your computer every 7-12 min.
+ Ports are convenient
+ Braindead no think-gameplay for max chillax

-Can easily do SoW pots, either way, just MQ it for 5-7k
-Depends on your timezone I think, but yes Kunark will open up more opportunities
-I enjoy group play - am I highly replaceable? yes. However, rooting/stunning/snaring/debuffing/evaccing can definitely make a difference in a group.
-Won't debate that one lol
-I see wizzys doing HGs, not to mention a lot of guards are good dough
-Yes
-Monotonous gameplay, refer to previous posts about how to contribute to a group effectively - however, if you do go the monotonous route, it does lend to it being a very casual/low key/little stress gameplay. Even with being an active contributor, i enjoy the flexibility to micro-AFK because well... real life happens.

It's far from being the most OP class in the P99 timeline - however, with a little creativity, like other underplayed classes - it can be fun and provide group (and especially raid) value.

ShadyNapster
08-05-2020, 09:52 AM
DE Wizard here I come !

Thanks for the comments and insight all, I appreciate it.

Mil
08-23-2020, 08:42 PM
Good choice. Dark Elf gets purple chain eventually and Hide is probably the best tool for when you want to solo Quad.

isoka
08-24-2020, 01:57 PM
I made a gnome cause i liked the idea of being tiny and dealing huge amount of damage.
I then gladly discovered that gnome wizards are liked at OT outpost opening then iksar berzerkers quest for factionning OT Hammer. They are also liked in neriak, making them able to buy both PoH and PoH stones without needing mules