PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Green server is up...?

Tynan
07-29-2020, 11:12 AM
...would it be possible to take the Blue server to Shadows of Luclin? I have a couple of friends whose first experience with EQ was Luclin, and they are most familiar with Luclin Maps.
I just figured since we have a true EQClassic Green server up and running, we might as well add the last decent Expansion (to the Blue server) just before it all went downhill?
Interested in opinions, thoughts etc?

Allishia
07-29-2020, 11:17 AM
Maps was loy expansion I'm pretty sure. But I'm fine with adding the ability points from Lucan, just /veto the moon and cats :p

Videri
07-29-2020, 11:26 AM
Every couple of months, someone asks about Luclin on P99, and the answer is always no. Basically the staff here don't want to.

Blue Beyond: The Scars of Velious (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=342192)

Could Green go to Luclin? (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341230)

Jimjam
07-29-2020, 11:33 AM
LoY was amazing! The best part of Everquest!

I was playing a shaman in his 40s. I did the stoicism quest with my crew and we did a crawl to get a soulsipper (seemed hugely op to me)!

There were also mounts that didn’t obscure your 1st person view and an option to customise your characters paint job. Cartography!

Oh and illusion potions!

Yes, zombie pirate cove was fun times for me.

Danth
07-29-2020, 11:49 AM
Blue's not even finished yet, there are still missing era-appropriate features.

Also, Luclin as it existed was and remains garbage. If you wanted to build a custom expansion with the notion of fixing Luclin there might be some good there.

Danth

Videri
07-29-2020, 11:50 AM
One more thing: if you like Luclin, there is The Al'Kabor Project. I'm sure you can find it if you search.

Croco
07-29-2020, 11:57 AM
Blue's not even finished yet, there are still missing era-appropriate features.

Also, Luclin as it existed was and remains garbage. If you wanted to build a custom expansion with the notion of fixing Luclin there might be some good there.

Danth

<insert Lebowski "that's just like, your opinion man" meme here>

I've always loved luclin. Then and now and plenty feel the same way. Sadly as has already been stated it seems staff don't want it even though a majority of players probably do. It's only a very (VERY) vocal minority of people on the forums here that push back against luclin but I'd be very interested to know how many of those people even still actively play p99.

Sabin76
07-29-2020, 12:17 PM
<insert Lebowski "that's just like, your opinion man" meme here>

I've always loved luclin. Then and now and plenty feel the same way. Sadly as has already been stated it seems staff don't want it even though a majority of players probably do. It's only a very (VERY) vocal minority of people on the forums here that push back against luclin but I'd be very interested to know how many of those people even still actively play p99.

I mean, it won't matter if 100% of the player base thought Luclin was the best expansion out there... this is the Devs playground and they didn't/don't like it, so it isn't going to happen.

That said, it's far more likely that those people that really enjoy Luclin move on rather than stay here (making up a majority) and just keep quiet about it.

Allishia
07-29-2020, 12:44 PM
I just want weapon affinity and to see what max hp would be with nd3 + pe! Mwahahaha...all the crit would be fun to.. bring ability points to p99 so people can have fun on their main instead of alt army boredom! :)

mr_jon3s
07-29-2020, 01:29 PM
I just want weapon affinity and to see what max hp would be with nd3 + pe! Mwahahaha...all the crit would be fun to.. bring ability points to p99 so people can have fun on their main instead of alt army boredom! :)

Weapon affinity isnt till GoD.

Allishia
07-29-2020, 01:50 PM
Weapon affinity isnt till GoD.

Noooo

Tynan
07-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Personally I'm fine with Blue capping out at the SoV expansion. Plane of Growth was and still is probably my favorite Plane and I'm almost certain it released during SoV.
I'll tell my friends about the Al'kabor Project though.

Lune
07-29-2020, 06:50 PM
I loved Luclin, but then I was just a kid who didn't raid and had a very superficial understanding of the game. I loved my beastlord and I loved the Luclin zones. Grimling forest grimling wars where you could help a faction take over the zone for specific rewards, acrylia caverns farming for acrylia. AA's were pretty sweet, as was the crafting in Luclin. Also enjoyed the bazaar, that feeling of leaving your merch up while you went on a day trip or something and coming home to see what sold. Bored of the tunnel nowadays, just a bunch of tunnel rats anyway.

Luclin models were... bad then and they're bad now though

Never understood the "Cats on the moon!" crowd. Lizards in Africa! Dwarves in Antarctica!

MaCtastic
07-29-2020, 08:28 PM
Luclin would be ultimate Nostalgia. I don’t get the kitten hate. Maybe, just give every tagged char in KWSM a kitten illusion clicky mask?

DMN
07-29-2020, 11:53 PM
I loved Luclin, but then I was just a kid who didn't raid and had a very superficial understanding of the game. I loved my beastlord and I loved the Luclin zones. Grimling forest grimling wars where you could help a faction take over the zone for specific rewards, acrylia caverns farming for acrylia. AA's were pretty sweet, as was the crafting in Luclin. Also enjoyed the bazaar, that feeling of leaving your merch up while you went on a day trip or something and coming home to see what sold. Bored of the tunnel nowadays, just a bunch of tunnel rats anyway.

Luclin models were... bad then and they're bad now though

Never understood the "Cats on the moon!" crowd. Lizards in Africa! Dwarves in Antarctica!

"Not classic". But I certainly wouldn't mind just the bazaar though. EC can lick my balls.

I think Kunark was much more based on central/southern america. Geography, art styles, and the whole Quetzalcoatl mythos. if it were africa it wouldn't feature large inland bodies of water and there'd prolly be at least one desert zone. Outside of eqypt, africa has very little megalithic structures/ruins around i, too, so the ruins peaking through the forest is a much more americas vibe.

Danth
07-30-2020, 08:53 AM
"Not classic". But I certainly wouldn't mind just the bazaar though. EC can lick my balls.

I hate EC as much as you but wouldn't necessarily want the Bazaar. Bazaar was an early effort, and badly-designed. It has been improved upon. No sense in repeating it if the admins here ever decide to go the route of automated item sales. Just program in an auction system like most every other modern MMORPG uses and be done with it. In practice we're unlikely to see either so we're stuck with having to deal with socially-stunted EC dwellers who're so timid they can barely communicate coherently. I like this game well enough overall, but it's definitely a "take the bad with the good" sort of game.

I maintain my opinion that Luclin as it existed was terrible. A "fixed" luclin with only classic graphics and no alt. advance and some other alterations might have potential as custom content if P99 had any remaining devs who had the hours/motivation to do so much additional work. Otherwise we can say it's beyond the scope of the project. Velious-era is a nice enough stopping point and I'm okay with that.

Danth

Croco
07-30-2020, 10:49 AM
That's a perfectly viable opinion to have from someone who probably hasn't played a ton of time on the handful of classes they did an incredibly poor job itemizing in classic thru velious and only really did a decent job once Luclin rolled around.

AA's were a really fun addition to the game for people who would rather work on one character instead of having a horde of alts.

zodium
07-30-2020, 11:19 AM
get out

Danth
07-30-2020, 11:49 AM
That's a perfectly viable opinion to have from someone who probably hasn't played a ton of time on the handful of classes they did an incredibly poor job itemizing in classic thru velious and only really did a decent job once Luclin rolled around.

AA's were a really fun addition to the game for people who would rather work on one character instead of having a horde of alts.

You're right that luclin itemization helps some folks out.

As for AA....I mostly play one character. It's my only level 60. I dislike AA for a different reason, because I see it as something of a trap--you end up doing a lot of grinding just to get back to the level of (relative) power you already have because monsters will be tuned against the expectation of characters having alt. advance. I prefer being able to ignore the experience bar, but there's definitely space there for other preferences and I don't feel too strongly about AA. It isn't something I'd quit over.

Danth

Neno
07-30-2020, 08:58 PM
I don’t get the kitten hate.

Because SoL launched shortly after the internet first found out about furries. Prior to that there wasn't much hate towards the idea of anthropomorphic races in video games and media. Anything prior to 2001 (ThunderCats etc) got grandfathered in but anything that got made for at least several years past that was too similar to furries for people to enjoy. While Kerrans did exist in vanilla EQ they were never really a big part of it for any one and were mostly forgotten about. Had they not been part of SoL it would probably be regarded as a much better expansion, sans the graphical update they pushed through as well. I know this because I also fell into the same trap and hated them for being "lol furries" and quit the game because it was going to shit. Years later when I played through SoL on a TLP server I realized that the expansion was actually pretty good and I liked it a lot more than SoV.