PDA

View Full Version : Ranger worth playing?

Worry
07-18-2020, 08:52 PM
Serious question.

Snaggles
07-18-2020, 09:57 PM
It depends. Serious answer.

For all the things a ranger can lack in other situations they can provide. The toughest part about the class is the constant justification (mostly to yourself that you aren’t crazy). A class that nobody worships is fun from the underdog aspect but also frustrating.

A good hybrid is a marvel work watch. Always casting, buffing, and pulling off fun tricks. A lazy/bad player is just a lackluster rogue. At 60 you can provide serious attack buffs to a raid and they are sometimes not present to offer those.

Do you want to play one or want a reason not to? We can give you a couple dozen reasons to push you either way. If you want to top damage charts that’s a tough one to pull for with a ranger. Your competing with a class who can get near 100dps with a 35k plat MQ.

Worry
07-18-2020, 10:07 PM
It depends. Serious answer.

For all the things a ranger can lack in other situations they can provide. The toughest part about the class is the constant justification (mostly to yourself that you aren’t crazy). A class that nobody worships is fun from the underdog aspect but also frustrating.

A good hybrid is a marvel work watch. Always casting, buffing, and pulling off fun tricks. A lazy/bad player is just a lackluster rogue. At 60 you can provide serious attack buffs to a raid and they are sometimes not present to offer those.

Do you want to play one or want a reason not to? We can give you a couple dozen reasons to push you either way. If you want to top damage charts that’s a tough one to pull for with a ranger. Your competing with a class who can get near 100dps with a 35k plat MQ.

I appreciate the serious response, a good post! You're totally right pretty much on every point.

Snaggles
07-18-2020, 10:20 PM
I appreciate the serious response, a good post! You're totally right pretty much on every point.

Thanks. Autocorrect mucked up some of my sentences but I hope the content made sense.

bricke75
07-18-2020, 11:10 PM
I prefer my ranger over anything else, all day long. SoW, Tracking, good melee, heals, buffs. Way more fun for me. Get your OT hammer, and Tolan's BP and you can port all over the place!

White_knight
07-18-2020, 11:46 PM
Yah I want to play a ranger some day simply because they offer nice leveling options. Also with Velly spells you can apparently snare fear quite a bit.

Fairly cheap weapon options to start out with.

But as Snaggles said, Meta gamers only see in Clrs, Warriors and Rogues.

bricke75
07-18-2020, 11:48 PM
But as Snaggles said, Meta gamers only see in Clrs, Warriors and Rogues.

In my experience, all raids love Strength Like Nature and Call of the Predator. Plus we make good speed bumps :D

Trexller
07-19-2020, 12:17 AM
Absolutely play a ranger. Get some real gear and git gud

Snaggles
07-19-2020, 12:56 AM
Besides a nice array of buffs the amount of control a ranger has (if the player is trying) is insane. 3 roots, 2 snares, harmony and bind sight. Flame lick for snap aggro and weapon shield for 15 seconds while the raid comes up with plan #2 quick.

When I’m playing the pally I miss the ranger and visa versa. If you have a mild case of OCD these melee classes are the antidote.

All this said, I’m not saying other classes don’t have more flexibility/power moves than a ranger. I’m just saying it’s a class that’s quickly counted out but has some real sneaky tricks hidden in that spell book.

Jimjam
07-19-2020, 03:59 AM
Very cheap to gear to hit the 40s quickly. Skip the thurg quest armour, but the HoT stuff isn't too bad. The secondary epic is pretty easy. You’ll need to be patient for your dark cloak of the sky and earthcaller.

The twin epics, haste click and HoT+ armour really makes a ranger feel ‘complete’. I think some completionists would argue you need the bfg too.

Visual
07-19-2020, 06:02 AM
Ranger if you got friends and the best gear. Otherwise it is kinda painful. Harmony rules though

Lune
07-19-2020, 09:56 AM
It's a little dated but I'd say it mostly still applies. There are better DW options now for sure~

https://i.imgur.com/6HC0BrS.jpg

It's an RPG not a spreadsheet, play what you enjoy. If you enjoy being maximum strong and desired dont play a ranger. It's my favorite class by far and I've had a blast playing one. They are underrated and you have the opportunity to win hearts and minds.

questever
07-19-2020, 09:57 AM
No.

Pretzelle
07-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Ranger is the most fun class to raid with.

Crede
07-19-2020, 11:14 AM
I posted a thread awhile back, asking what the most fun class in the game was at 60. Ranger got the most votes. But with that being said, it takes a lot of time and gear to get to that point. Most people just quit by then and want that immediate easy power like a monk can give you. The payoff is definitely there in the end, but the journey maybe not so much. Especially thanks to the very difficult to obtain but game changing items like the Earthcaller and dark cloak.

Fammaden
07-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Ranger was my second class to 60 and of all the classes I've leveled to 45+ it was by far the most fun. HOWEVER, this was before green and I almost exclusively grouped to level and pulled for pick up XP groups. The entire hot xp zone highway was outdoor zones through the early 50's, and then I just stayed in KC for quite some time anyway and made basement groups since that was nice XP well into the high 50s if you are chain pulling .

A ranger in an outdoor zone making use of harmony/snares/roots is by far the best pull class for XP grouping. And to me chain pulling for a group is super enjoyable and makes the grind feel better. If you are decent groups will love you and always want to invite you again in the future.

I know a lot of people just twink and solo on ranger especially so now post-green, but I can't speak to that side as much. As for raiding, if you are the kind of player who is motivated to be part of pulling/ripping/FTE team side of the raid game the class has a lot in its toolkit to help with those aspects. And raid guilds always like 60 rangers for CotP and weaponshield disc for tank swaps.

YendorLootmonkey
07-19-2020, 02:00 PM
So, my usual response to this having played only a ranger in EQ for 20+ years is: The ranger class is odd in that it is a lot of fun to play, but only from the ranger's perspective, not anyone else's.

As others have said, and this is completely true... if you aren't seamlessly transitioning when needed between:

DPS
rootparking or kiting adds if no other CC is available
pulling
harmony-splitting
harmonying/invising your way to a named on track and bringing back solo to the group or with minimal adds
staggering the timing of incoming mobs with root and snare if you're indoors or your group has an enchanter so they don't want one harmony-pulled mob at a time
snap aggroing shit off the caster that just overnuked
yanking a mob off an enchanter that just had mez/charm resisted
rooting a mezzed mob before the tank attacks it in case the enchanter still has aggro
topping casters with ranger heals so the healer can focus on the tank; and
avoiding aggro otherwise so you don't become a mana drain for others

then you're just a low-DPS rogue with some spells. Not to mention you're making it more difficult for every other ranger to get invited to a group when you don't play one to its fullest potential. That takes a lot of focus and stamina to keep that level of play up for hours while grouping, but I guarantee you are having more fun than the tank or the rogue.

It's a lot like the difference between a bard who just stands there and plays manasong, and a bard who is twisting multiple songs and is using the full potential of their class -- you all have played with each kind of bard, and you know which kind you want in your group.

Same with rangers.

elwing
07-19-2020, 02:02 PM
It feels we are always short on speedbumpers

GinnasP99
07-19-2020, 03:23 PM
If you're gonna get a bfg tolan's bracer is a must. You fire off a stack in like 4 seconds max hasted.

questever
07-19-2020, 04:04 PM
Duel wield a Smoldering Brand and Jade Mace to 60

kjs86z
07-20-2020, 12:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/6HC0BrS.jpg

haha 10/10

and also accurate

Atmas
07-20-2020, 12:15 PM
The better question is will you enjoy playing a ranger? If you want to play a ranger and someone else just suggests to play a class you don't enjoy would you do that? Why play a game if you aren't having fun doing it?

Allishia
07-20-2020, 02:32 PM
Ranger is very very fun, almost as fun as my war. can't wait to get to 60 so I can speed bump dragons /nod

7thGate
07-20-2020, 05:09 PM
I'm always surprised at people that underrate rangers. Harmony, Track, Trueshot, Weaponshield, CotP/SoN are all best in class abilities at their particular niche, and they come with acceptable standard melee DPS as a fallback contribution to pretty much every situation. You can do very silly things with a sufficient pile of rangers.

Also, I'll just leave this here:
https://wiki.project1999.com/File:Ranger_bazzt_zzzt.png

questever
07-20-2020, 06:23 PM
I'm always surprised at people that underrate rangers. Harmony, Track, Trueshot, Weaponshield, CotP/SoN are all best in class abilities at their particular niche, and they come with acceptable standard melee DPS as a fallback contribution to pretty much every situation. You can do very silly things with a sufficient pile of rangers.

Also, I'll just leave this here:
https://wiki.project1999.com/File:Ranger_bazzt_zzzt.png

LOL, good one

kaizersoze
07-20-2020, 07:53 PM
Rangers are useful. They cast COTP and SON, which is great, they can bind sight for FTEing, they can be used to engage mobs with DA and weaponshield or as speed bumps until the next tank takes agro and they can hold agro easily if they want o tank group content

LazyHydras
07-21-2020, 09:39 AM
Never played a Ranger, so I can't give you insight from that perspective. But, having been in a couple guilds doing higher-tier content, I can say that they have some niche uses which make them valuable. They are good at getting FTE, they are the typical tracking character (usually de-leveled and parked permanently at a location), at level 60 they are prized for giving groups Call of the Predator, and, as others have said, they make very good speed bumps because they usually generate lots of aggro and have weapon shield to hold a hard-hiting mob on them until C Heals are landing on the next tank in the lineup.

Gozuk
07-21-2020, 12:44 PM
Ranger is really fun even if you never plan to get near 60 or raid

MikeXG
07-23-2020, 09:32 AM
In the old EverQuest prima players guide there is a blurb about each class, granted the blurb is more lore than actual class mechanics - it describes the BARD as a jack of all trades master of none. I think that is false, that title should go to a ranger. They CAN (not necessarily well) tank, heal, dps, buff, CC, pull, among other things. There are a few things they do better than anyone else, like class specific buffs they have and track for example. At the end of the day Ranger is a very fun versatile class that can fill a hole in a small group or a PUG. I doub't ranger would be the first choice for any role, but I've been in groups where the ranger adapted as we gained and lost members of the group. The ranger was able to keep the group from falling apart as a spot healer, tank, and CC all at different times.

It has been said earlier, play what makes you happy and you have fun playing. For me and many others that is Ranger. "best class" isn't always "most fun class"

Snaggles
07-23-2020, 10:25 AM
I’ve had more fun at 60 grinding and raiding than the path to 60. CotP and Weaponshield make it a different class. Aggro tanks are a huge deal on P99 and while a ranger is not ideal it’s certainly passable.

Hell, it didn’t turn around until 55 with chloro but even then finding groups was a chore. Why I soloed to 60.

Arkanjil
07-23-2020, 02:42 PM
Get to 46, buy a tolan's bracer....profit.

Asteria
07-25-2020, 09:52 AM
I pretty much agree with all the excellent advice the others gave here. I think it's a really fun class - I leveled one to 51 on Blue with some friends. :)

Swarmcaller slow sword def has it's occasional uses for soloing or odd groups without a slower until you get the Earthcaller/epic slow sword.

Baler
07-25-2020, 04:52 PM
Something unique about ranger on blue/velious is that 51-60 they get +4 ATK per level, I think it's 4.

Which means they get a direct damage buff in velious. even 36 ATK is enough to notice.
Seems like people don't talk about this much.

Then they stack wolf form and Call of the Predator for even more ATK damage buffage.

Jibartik
07-25-2020, 05:04 PM
A ranger is my favorite class for farming greens. It's great cus you can just farm greens all day long all over the world by yourself without having to manage any annoying pets or spells just harm shield up and slay.

Crede
07-26-2020, 01:46 PM
Unless you have some intense desire to use trueshot/cotp in raids, Just make a SK imo. More useful spellset, better races, actual tank, and similarish dps since final melee patch.

Keebz
07-26-2020, 03:20 PM
Unless you have some intense desire to use trueshot/cotp in raids, Just make a SK imo. More useful spellset, better races, actual tank, and similarish dps since final melee patch.

Tracking is pretty cool too.

unleashedd
07-27-2020, 07:33 AM
tracking is fantastic, but ... why not bard?

Keebz
07-27-2020, 03:09 PM
tracking is fantastic, but ... why not bard?

Ranger track is far and away the best (greatest range, different sort orders), while bard tracking is mostly useless, unfortunately.

Snaggles
07-27-2020, 04:39 PM
Rangers and bards are only similar in offering utility and track. Anyone who’s thinking bard should be weighing against an enchanter and visa versa. Rangers should we weighed against other dps and with some pulling tricks (outdoors).

Molitoth
07-27-2020, 08:35 PM

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK?

lol

Pretzelle
07-27-2020, 08:45 PM

:confused::confused::confused:

This guy does not raid.

Furorr
07-27-2020, 09:31 PM
Plinki's got it.