PDA

View Full Version : A New Set of Norrath Maps

Lune
07-11-2020, 10:40 PM
Ranger is by far my favorite class to play, but they can spend a lot of time LFG because people can be a little uninformed about their capabilities as pullers, tanks, and dps (and because they are outclassed by other classes). So while I was LFG, I engaged in a bit of cartography.

As nostalgic as I am for the old cloth maps, I personally never felt as though they adequately represented the game world spatially or thematically, with a classic example being Faydwer in general. Using Inkarnate, I've tried to make more detailed maps that roughly preserve the layout and orientation of zones while portraying the continent as a whole and avoiding some of the blockiness inherent in EQ zones.

Anyway, Ranger Skyris of Faydark's Champions presents:

Antonica

https://i.imgur.com/rKOnVHH.jpg

Faydwer

https://i.imgur.com/AzdBCBS.jpg

Odus

https://i.imgur.com/9tTws3B.jpg

Kunark

https://i.imgur.com/fduP2GL.jpg

(Kunark, by far my favorite continent, was made a while back in an older version of the mapping software.) I'm not sure whether Velious is really worth mapping and I think that's one where I like the cloth map's representation.

Please let me know if there's something that's incorrect or you think I should change!

Hisamori
07-11-2020, 11:01 PM
I really enjoy seeing the world represented like this. Gives another sense of space vs. running through in-game.

Just curious what Ghalp in Warsliks Woods is? I remember Veksar launch in LOIO but do not remember anything being added to WW?

alsa
07-11-2020, 11:06 PM
These look amazing. Thank you so much for sharing.

Lune
07-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Fixed version of Antonica map with Neriak text visible: (https://imgur.com/Bl6Ogqj)

I really enjoy seeing the world represented like this. Gives another sense of space vs. running through in-game.

Just curious what Ghalp in Warsliks Woods is? I remember Veksar launch in LOIO but do not remember anything being added to WW?

That's Chalp, which is what the forest giant fort in WW is called. This is learned during the iksar SK khukri quest line.

Philistine
07-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Those look great! If one were to print them, is there a particular type of paper or print method you'd recommend using to keep them looking so good?

Lune
07-11-2020, 11:18 PM
Those look great! If one were to print them, is there a particular type of paper or print method you'd recommend using to keep them looking so good?

Hah, you've got me, I know nothing about printing-- but I made Antonica and Kunark at a somewhat lower resolution because I think with this specific software it looks a little better (or in the case of Kunark, because that was all that was supported at the time), which means if you try to blow them up it'll be kinda grainy. I'll ask my artsy wife when she wakes up and she might know.

Smotr
07-11-2020, 11:18 PM
These are awesome! Great job and thanks for sharing. I really like the Kunark one, although you forgot to label Nurga. I had no idea about the name of the giant fort in WW. If you are stuck LFG some more, you could try to add in some of those Iksar statues =)

Muggens
07-12-2020, 12:44 AM
Awesome stuff, very well done! Great detail and very accurate, thanks for sharing indeed. They gonna be popular here and I wouldnt mind seeing em used on the wiki fex

Convict
07-12-2020, 12:54 AM
i like it and based off your map they really should have put in a zoneline between misty thicket and everfrost

Pint
07-12-2020, 01:15 AM
I would buy a set of your maps if you ever figured out a good way to get them on cloth like the original, pm me if you ever follow through

Philistine
07-12-2020, 02:12 AM
Hah, you've got me, I know nothing about printing-- but I made Antonica and Kunark at a somewhat lower resolution because I think with this specific software it looks a little better (or in the case of Kunark, because that was all that was supported at the time), which means if you try to blow them up it'll be kinda grainy. I'll ask my artsy wife when she wakes up and she might know.

Haha, fair enough! Yeah please holler if the missus has any tips!

Lune
07-12-2020, 02:52 AM
i like it and based off your map they really should have put in a zoneline between misty thicket and everfrost

For sure, would have made Halas so much more accessible, and even on the cloth map they are close together

fzzzt
07-12-2020, 07:16 AM
What software did you use? This looks like it would be useful for D&D campaigns.

Snaggles
07-12-2020, 11:01 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Lune
07-12-2020, 12:47 PM
What software did you use? This looks like it would be useful for D&D campaigns.

It's called Inkarnate, and it is excellent for D&D campaigns.

SpinFin
07-12-2020, 08:14 PM
This is incredible. A nice taste of immersive adventure perspective.

Briq
07-12-2020, 11:16 PM
These are awesome!!! You definitely should do Velious and beyond!!

Crede
07-13-2020, 01:36 AM
Looks like you missed kedge keep

Cthru2k
07-13-2020, 11:27 AM
These maps are amazing, are there higher resolution versions? Good work!

Snortles Chortles
07-13-2020, 01:52 PM
https://i.imgur.com/TKKty9S.jpg

Lune
07-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Looks like you missed kedge keep

Indeed I did, or at least when I made that map I elected not to include it because fuck Kedge.

Fixed version (https://imgur.com/52qcJIG)

Izmael
07-13-2020, 05:20 PM
I love how Everfrost area is connected to the Neriak area, totally makes sense when you think of it but it never crossed my mind before.

paronga
07-16-2020, 12:36 AM
beautiful!

are there high resolution versions available?

deezy
07-17-2020, 10:00 PM
this is pretty sweet

Dulian
07-24-2020, 10:52 PM
I would buy a set of your maps if you ever figured out a good way to get them on cloth like the original, pm me if you ever follow through

^

ScottBerta
07-25-2020, 12:49 AM
Amazing. Much better then the old ones.

Tarjan
07-28-2020, 04:05 AM
superb work, thanks a lot for those maps

Xulia
07-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Fantastic work on these!!

Molitoth
07-28-2020, 07:43 AM
nice work!

Jimjam
07-28-2020, 09:24 AM
So amazing, i have to keep going back to look some more!

It’s so good, I feel bad offering any type of criticism, but if I had to suggest one change it would be to add the giant waterfall in east karana.

casperinmd
07-28-2020, 04:06 PM
Ranger is by far my favorite class to play, but they can spend a lot of time LFG because people can be a little uninformed about their capabilities as pullers, tanks, and dps (and because they are outclassed by other classes). So while I was LFG, I engaged in a bit of cartography.

As nostalgic as I am for the old cloth maps, I personally never felt as though they adequately represented the game world spatially or thematically, with a classic example being Faydwer in general. Using Inkarnate, I've tried to make more detailed maps that roughly preserve the layout and orientation of zones while portraying the continent as a whole and avoiding some of the blockiness inherent in EQ zones.

Anyway, Ranger Skyris of Faydark's Champions presents:

Antonica

https://i.imgur.com/rKOnVHH.jpg

Faydwer

https://i.imgur.com/AzdBCBS.jpg

Odus

https://i.imgur.com/9tTws3B.jpg

Kunark

https://i.imgur.com/fduP2GL.jpg

(Kunark, by far my favorite continent, was made a while back in an older version of the mapping software.) I'm not sure whether Velious is really worth mapping and I think that's one where I like the cloth map's representation.

Please let me know if there's something that's incorrect or you think I should change!

Awesome work. I assume your intent is to allow us to print these out? I'm going to find an online cloth or canvas printer and hang one up!

Do you know how big they are designed to print at? 20x24?

Lune
07-28-2020, 04:27 PM
So amazing, i have to keep going back to look some more!

It’s so good, I feel bad offering any type of criticism, but if I had to suggest one change it would be to add the giant waterfall in east karana.

For sure, if I ever do Antonica again in a higher resolution I'll add that.

Awesome work. I assume your intent is to allow us to print these out? I'm going to find an online cloth or canvas printer and hang one up!

Do you know how big they are designed to print at? 20x24?

You can do whatever you like with it. Antonica is 896 x 1024, Faydwer and Odus 2048 x 1536, Kunark 1024 x 768.

Don't know much about printing, especially to cloth or canvas, but whatever is closest to those resolutions I imagine. They aren't HD (yet) so don't blow them up too big.

gkmarino
07-28-2020, 04:35 PM
Indeed I did, or at least when I made that map I elected not to include it because fuck Kedge.

Fixed version (https://imgur.com/52qcJIG)AMAZING!

gkmarino
07-28-2020, 04:40 PM
Hey Lune, is Neriak marker a secret on Antonica or was that not marked intentionally? I really love the work you've done here.

Also, noticed Nurga marker is not on the Kunark - Frontier Mountains.

I don't mean these observations negatively this work is amazing, the feeling of nostalgia these maps produce is amazingly tangible. Thank you!

Lune
07-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Hey Lune, is Neriak marker a secret on Antonica or was that not marked intentionally? I really love the work you've done here.

Also, noticed Nurga marker is not on the Kunark - Frontier Mountains.

I don't mean these observations negatively this work is amazing, the feeling of nostalgia these maps produce is amazingly tangible. Thank you!

Neriak's text was left out by mistake although there is a Neriak graphic on the map. I posted a fixed version with Neriak in this thread somewhere.

I did Kunark mostly from memory and simply forgot Nurga I think, seeing as how I don't think I've stepped foot in Nurga during all my time on P99.

Fixed. (https://i.imgur.com/IjCJhIY.jpg) Thank you

LHK
08-02-2020, 04:51 PM
These are absolutely incredible. Great job.

zanderklocke
08-02-2020, 09:47 PM
There’s definitely some websites you could turn these into board game mats if you Google search Board Game Mat Printing.

zanderklocke
08-02-2020, 09:49 PM
By the way, thanks for doing these. The Kunark one you put out awhile back has been on my desktop computer wallpaper circulation for awhile.

Zuranthium
08-03-2020, 07:16 PM
Antonica is tricky to map while staying close to the cloth map representation, because the Everfrost area in game isn't wide enough across, and the Karana plains in game are far wider across than the Southern part of the continent; it doesn't scale properly. Overall good job with the map but I wish you made Karana wider, even on the cloth map it's still wider than this, and the Everfrost area could be pushed more towards the west. You could move the southern part of the continent a little more eastward and make Rathe Mountains wider to compensate for the Karanas expanding.

Lune
08-04-2020, 12:32 AM
Antonica is tricky to map while staying close to the cloth map representation, because the Everfrost area in game isn't wide enough across, and the Karana plains in game are far wider across than the Southern part of the continent; it doesn't scale properly. Overall good job with the map but I wish you made Karana wider, even on the cloth map it's still wider than this, and the Everfrost area could be pushed more towards the west. You could move the southern part of the continent a little more eastward and make Rathe Mountains wider to compensate for the Karanas expanding.

Antonica is indeed tricky. I actually have an early iteration or two where the karanas are wider, but it always resulted in the entire eastern half of the continent being very squished together-- that is, unless antonica becomes wider than it is tall, at which point it starts looking nothing like the cloth map's representation. I took the liberty of a condensed karanas to keep that rough sense of a similar shape to the cloth map. Everfrost is hard too because the entire north of Antonica is shown to be snowy, but Everfrost is somewhat small... Everfrost can't go all the way west because Jaggedpine forest is there.

I definitely found it interesting that in-game, Antonica is clearly wider than it is tall, based on the distance you have to travel from Freeport to Qeynos... as opposed to the map. I'm sure I'll make another attempt at some point configuring Antonica incorporating some of these suggestions.

paronga
08-06-2020, 05:26 AM
I definitely found it interesting that in-game, Antonica is clearly wider than it is tall, based on the distance you have to travel from Freeport to Qeynos... as opposed to the map. I'm sure I'll make another attempt at some point configuring Antonica incorporating some of these suggestions.

that's a really interesting insight

Zuranthium
08-06-2020, 02:31 PM
Going by widest/tallest zone connections from one end of the continent to another, Antonica is about 50 blocks of space in width (a block being 1,000 units in /loc) and about 32 blocks in height.

It should basically look like the mainland United States, which is what I've always felt like the designers were taking some cues from. The other continents have somewhat similar real-world allusions. Faydwer is supposed to be mainland Europe, Odus is Japan, Kunark is Africa, Velious is Antarctica.