PDA

View Full Version : WOW, got hacked with- Cursor hackers

redghosthunter
05-09-2011, 10:53 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6526851.stm

World of Warcraft players are being targeted by hackers exploiting flaws in how Windows handles animated cursors.

Should make ya wonder.... What are Animated Cursors ?

Ennoia
05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6526851.stm

World of Warcraft players are being targeted by hackers exploiting flaws in how Windows handles animated cursors.

Should make ya wonder.... What are Animated Cursors ?

It's...a cursor that has an animation...

Hourglass, custom cursors that have a moving picture (like some WoW cursors), etc.

The whole thing is just another case of people clicking shit they shouldn't have been clicking.

Anyway, since it doesn't say anywhere in the article how this works...

The invading virus is set to wait for your cursor to change to the WoW cursor at the login screen. I'm not getting into how it does that, it just happens. Keylogger activates, you put in your account info, they take your account info, yay someone has reason to get a Core Hound pup! This is why smart people use on-screen keyboards to log in (it's under Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibility for Windows XP...no clue for anything else).

Edit: Authenticators are far from 100% safe.

naez
05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Keyloggers designed specifically to steal WoW accounts aren't going to just log every input you type in. It's going to track whatever goes into the login fields, including copypasta or your pos onscreen keyboard.

Seaweedpimp
05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Lol this happened to my brother 5 days ago if that.

Ledzepp02
05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
If you aren't spending 7 bucks for this:

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/Ledzepp_wow/authenticator1.jpg

then you deserve to be hacked..

Taryth
05-09-2011, 03:20 PM

If Blizzard can't provide authenticators, or otherwise ACCOUNT SECURITY, as paid for by a customer's subscription and purchase of the original client, then Blizzard isn't worth giving money to in the first place.

It's not about how much it costs. Although I don't, and never have, played WoW, I would view it as an insult and poor customer service if, say, SOE were to institute these things (I can't give up my dying Vanguard.)
Better to unsub and let an inferior company learn what they should and shouldn't do.

Taryth
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Though, maybe SOE should do something about it's own horrendous customer service and network security ;)

Harrison
05-09-2011, 07:42 PM
In the past year:

Best Buy
PSN
SoE
Gmail

All of my personal information from those 4 sources has been hacked. Awesome.

Harrison
05-09-2011, 07:43 PM
My Gmail was accessed from China. (Furthering my hate for Asians since 2000.)

Knuckle
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr107/Ledzepp_wow/authenticator1.jpg

yeah because you are a scrub getting owned by blizzard,

"So what's the next way to milk this cow?"

"Have some dudes start hacking WoW accounts, force players to pay for an authenticator or run the risk of losing their account"
100million x 7 dollars = 700 million

Ledzepp02
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Do you honestly think they're trying to purposely hack their own customers just to get people to buy this piece of shit authenticator?

They get $15/month from these people, a one time $7 buy weighed against the risk of being caught and being class-action lawsuited, is not worth $700 million, Knuckle.

moklianne
05-11-2011, 10:00 PM
LOL, pretty sad that Blizzard needs to use RSA tokens.

bman8810
05-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Or you can download an app for your phone. That is what I did and it cost me $0.

Ennoia
05-12-2011, 04:01 AM
Keyloggers designed specifically to steal WoW accounts aren't going to just log every input you type in. It's going to track whatever goes into the login fields, including copypasta or your pos onscreen keyboard.

On-screen keyboard has yet to fail me, but everyone else I know has been hacked at one point or another, even with authenticators.

Feronex
05-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I was curious so... I tested it.
On-screen Keyboard won't help you if you have a keylogger.
Using something like. (VB6: Just an example. ~_~)
If GetAsyncKeyState(vbKeyA) Then
MsgBox "You fail."
End If
Works just fine.
Triggers on press of both keyboard and on-screen keyboard. It's the same thing, same input type.

Just makin' sure you know you aren't really safe. At least using windows. *nod*
Yeah like naez said, keyloggers for WoW... You are doomed! :p

Kuriin
05-12-2011, 07:20 PM
On-screen keyboard has yet to fail me, but everyone else I know has been hacked at one point or another, even with authenticators.

So, do explain how you get hacked when your account is linked to an authenticator? Don't say, "omg my friends got haxed." Proof. Please. :)