PDA

View Full Version : Question about P99 server ruleset possibilities

fzzzt
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi,

I introduced my gf to MMOs through P99 and WoW and she actually prefers EQ, even with the old graphics. Unfortunately, we both work full-time jobs and don't have the time to sink into it anymore (ah, college). That got me thinking about a possible custom server for us, and people like us.

I have the hardware and Unix knowledge, even some C/C++ (mostly Java), but I don't have the EQemu knowledge, so I'm here asking if a server with some or all of these is even possible:

XP bonus based on level (e.g. +(100*L)%, more likely some log(n))
Kunark or Velious zones (Kunark was my fave, but Velious was fun too)
Beastmaster class (she likes pets)

I'm guessing it's significantly more complex than boolean makeVeliousWork = TRUE; and int xpModifier = player.getLevel(); :) Is some or all of this possible? How difficult would it be? Anyone know how to do it or where to start for these specific mods?

Thanks!

Kika Maslyaka
05-08-2011, 12:05 AM
first of all you should know, that there are plenty of other Emu servers out there besides P99, some of which have exactly what you looking for

if you plan to run your own server, you can choose yourself which zone to go to, and set XP to anything you like. You can also do weird things like make yourself Ogre Bard or Froglock Beastlord =)
Once you get your own server actually running, modifying things like XP is pretty easy.
But you better post question in regards to this at www.eqemulator.net

stormlord
05-08-2011, 01:16 AM
For people with less time I usually recommend necromancer or a class able to solo. Necro is hte best for convenience and ease, but they're also a very complex class that gives you the opportunity to be at your best. They're more limited in grouping situations since they have so many dots. Their versatility is really meant for the solo environment, but I'd say they're fine for groups just don't complain when their pet isn't a good tank or they run out of mana casting dots or they can't heal anybody else in the group or something like that.

But you're different. People like you just want to experience everything in EQ without having to stop to smell every single rose. I see nothing wrong with this. I myself play on projectEQ for this exact same reason. There're many places in EQ (there're tons of expansions and raids) I just will never ever see unless I see them on projectEQ or an easier server. How do you go about doing it if you're wanting to change the ruleset?

I honestly don't think increasing the experience rate will have the desired effect. IMHO, the path to go is to increase the power of the player. Why do I feel this way? Because when you're max level you'll still need a raid force to kill the raid mobs. You'll still need to all show up at the same time to do it. It'll still be painful organizing all of that. It's better just to bump up offense/defense markedly. Then when you're max level, you can do the raid with less people and less strain. Besides, battling a yellow/red con is so much more fun whne you've grown up in fear of them, never able to fight them until they're pushovers and useless to you.

No matter what you do, make sure that players don't feel restricted too much. You want them to feel like anything is possible. Nurse that feeling. If players rush through everything too quick and get the gold then there's nothing more to achieve, nothing more to dream of. So be careful about how you do it. Keep in mind that this is really just an issue of time. If a player has things to do and dream of, they'll keep playing. If they keep doing the same thing over and over and don't make much measurable progress, they'll quit.

A lot of this is just burnout from playing EQ for the past 12 years too. I mean, no matter how easy EQ gets for me, it'll always be EQ and play similarly and look similarly. Only answer is to play something else, ultimately.

Shizzam
05-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Classic exp for the most part (exp bonus going on) so its not a game where you can level up fast as fuck. With recent kunark expansion you have several leveling options open to you. If your looking to solo mage or necromancer would be your best bet but if your looking to group i'd go with a tank or a cleric class. This is CLASSIC EQ bitches deal with it