PDA

View Full Version : Outward - A survival RPG

Jibartik
06-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Hey folks! last week I discovered a new (to me) game called Outward! It came out in 2019 so its actually kinda new altogether.

It reminds me so much of EQ so I thought I'd make a post about it here incase any of you would like to try it out.

Its harsh like eq, with severe death penalties, the maps dont have markers, at night it's pitch black, and it doesn't tell you how to do anything. (Thank god for the internet though eh? The game has many loramins working hard on its wiki if you want a hardcore mmo pixel gains min max p99 experience.)

Check out this video, see if you'll like it and dont want to read my stupid reasons why I do (hint I think you will like it):

https://youtu.be/UvwIWOFRfG8

But here's my stupid reasons why I like it! The game is kind of like a few games in one.

1. (Its not an MMO but) It plays like an MMO and uses MMO/RPG style play control and combat skill & class systems. You can be rogues, shamans, necromancers, whatever you want by combining different types of magical skill tree's. Even a Cabal Hermit, I guess, whatever that is.

https://i.imgur.com/Mg61i3Z.png

2. Its a survival game, if you dont prepare for travel or the elements, you will die to them. Imagine trying to travel through the Karanas, to Freeport, and all while you're doing that if you dont stop and setup camp next to a campfire and cook up some dinner a couple of times along the way, you'll really start to notice it and maybe pass out, or get sick. If you're hunting in Everfrost? You'll quite literally freeze to death if you dont bring warm clothes or meditate next to a campfire.

https://i.imgur.com/TSjo7IU.jpg

3. It's an Open world RPG so while traveling you have creatures to watch out for not just the elements! You'll need to hide, avoid, consider and use all your class's skills and abilities you've trained traveling through the world when traveling and encountering magical beasts in the wild.

Check out the combat, its like, dark-souls meets ever-quest kinda? https://youtu.be/yF_CW5V4CIE

https://i.imgur.com/zoNB9V7.png

Im not going to lie, I think I really want to enjoy this game and for it to be the modern update to EQ that I really wish it was. So there are some flaws:

1. its small team and a very ambitious game, they hit it out of the park but it coudl always use more content
2. combat is fun, deep and awesome, but a little unbalanced and easily exploitable
3. the characters faces are worse than Luclin and there are no darkelves.

I had a great first weekend trying to do some MMO style exploiting, you know where you do the delivery quests that net the most EXP and loop some merchant rewards for the best items, etc, I mean that's what I love about MMO gaming so I was having a blast doing that. But throwing in all the survival stuff just got me so immersed in my adventure!

If you play, or end up playing post about it if you liked it! There is a new expansion coming out soon I think but I am not too sure, I'm still a noob. :o

Baler
06-16-2020, 06:24 PM
here is another review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnSJjnrcQs

Jibartik
06-16-2020, 06:48 PM
here is another review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUnSJjnrcQs

This is fantastic, such a better review than mine :p

edit: ooh campfire trick to get in and out of complex dungeons, see, thats the type of silly crap I love about exploiting MMO's!

https://i.imgur.com/KIobkc0.png

Evia
06-16-2020, 07:07 PM
I posted a thread about this game a few months back.

in theory this game is great. the amount of 'twitch' it expects for the player for how well the game responds, horrible. i ended up rage quitting.

my two younger brothers still rave about it tho. overall I think its a great game if the combat got a touch more polished.

Jibartik
06-16-2020, 07:28 PM
I posted a thread about this game a few months back.

in theory this game is great. the amount of 'twitch' it expects for the player for how well the game responds, horrible. i ended up rage quitting.

my two younger brothers still rave about it tho. overall I think its a great game if the combat got a touch more polished.

Good point, Im curious to see how I like the twitch aspect of combat. I like how much it feels like EQ melee combat, but a bit more physical... Like I think face tanking is the way to go and relying on stats for the tanky melee builds, but you can dodge and weave if you want, which adds some fun and lets you beat harder enemies I guess if you're very good.

It reminds me of playing melee PVP in EQ, but it definitely feels better actually hitting each other in outward than trying to just get your invisible hitboxes to in eq.. but that said, I wouldn't want that to be the core way to interact with melee PVE in EQ so I was wondering if it would get old.

Evia
06-16-2020, 07:55 PM
Good point, Im curious to see how I like the twitch aspect of combat. I like how much it feels like EQ melee combat, but a bit more physical... Like I think face tanking is the way to go and relying on stats for the tanky melee builds, but you can dodge and weave if you want, which adds some fun and lets you beat harder enemies I guess if you're very good.

It reminds me of playing melee PVP in EQ, but it definitely feels better actually hitting each other in outward than trying to just get your invisible hitboxes to in eq.. but that said, I wouldn't want that to be the core way to interact with melee PVE in EQ so I was wondering if it would get old.

its honestly a great concept. it's just I died so many times because the game expected me to respond to something (that I did!) but the client or game was way too laggy to respond correctly. if you're going to expect the player to respond quickly youve gotta have the game respond as well. so many times I was waiting on the game to respond.

still a good game. im hoping they update the combat to be a bit more fluid and responsive. tbh its the closest thing to an EQ rpg ive played in a while. lots of good about the game if you can get over the clunky combat. I just couldnt get passed it.

Jibartik
06-16-2020, 08:21 PM
its honestly a great concept. it's just I died so many times because the game expected me to respond to something (that I did!) but the client or game was way too laggy to respond correctly. if you're going to expect the player to respond quickly youve gotta have the game respond as well. so many times I was waiting on the game to respond.

still a good game. im hoping they update the combat to be a bit more fluid and responsive. tbh its the closest thing to an EQ rpg ive played in a while. lots of good about the game if you can get over the clunky combat. I just couldnt get passed it.

Im excite to see where it evolves with the new expansion, I'm going to try to log some hours in this game as much as I can to figure it out, I think I've got the hang of it, now I'm going to use my horror bow to exploit my way through the first tier dungeons that Im currently on lol

We should try to do online coop with the expac! :cool:

Evia
06-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Im excite to see where it evolves with the new expansion, I'm going to try to log some hours in this game as much as I can to figure it out, I think I've got the hang of it, now I'm going to use my horror bow to exploit my way through the first tier dungeons that Im currently on lol

We should try to do online coop with the expac! :cool:

im down to try it again when the expac drops. hit me up on PM and we can maybe arrange a time. i'll see if I can get my brothers to join up. whens the xpac?

eadric
06-16-2020, 08:30 PM
looks promising, but man the characters are
fugly

Evia
06-16-2020, 08:32 PM
looks promising, but man the characters are
fugly

yeah its not the greatest if you compare it to modern games. compared to EQ though everyones beautiful lol.

Baler
06-16-2020, 08:42 PM
New DLC and patch came out today for this... $20 oof that's a lot of money
The Soroboreans (https://outward.gamepedia.com/The_Soroboreans)
June 16th 2020: The Soroboreans Patch (https://outward.gamepedia.com/Version_History/June_16th_2020)

https://i.imgur.com/ilYVRpo.gif

There is also 121 mods on Nexus (https://www.nexusmods.com/outward) for it, but I hear mods break after patches.

Jibartik
06-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Yeah Im so far behind still Im learning how to get into the bandit prison that I accidentally opened the cell to that had a level 50 creature in it, now it's guarding the entrance. Its a level 1 dungeon :(

Remind anyone of any games? haha

Baller do you play? do either of you want to log into my game and help me beat this creature? :o

Topgunben
06-17-2020, 12:36 AM
kind of reminds me of Wizard 101. ill give it a shot

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 12:50 AM
I like how they pulled off the detailed yet nostalgic feeling (for me) environments with more modern seeming graphics. At a glance. Also a bit like morrowind and oblivion with some good survival mods too.

The grind in EQ gets me down. I wouldn't mind a quicker pace at gaining skills. Or combat.

Is it possible to use 1st person at all or is it too action rpg?

Cecily
06-17-2020, 01:02 AM
I didn't like something about this the 2 or 3 times I was thinking of buying it. Maybe that it's indie Gothic or something. I forgot. I want something polished. You pretty happy with it?

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 01:05 AM
I'd wait a bit and see if you can get a deal on the dlcs in a bundle, because that's how that works. Gothic was pretty good btw.

I've never played or heard of this outside of this thread. $20 is a lot of soymilk so...

Cecily
06-17-2020, 01:09 AM
Gothic was a janky German game with dysphoria inducing protagonist body proportions and overall pretty fun, yes. I just couldn't play it again.

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 01:21 AM
Gothic was a janky German game with dysphoria inducing protagonist body proportions and overall pretty fun, yes. I just couldn't play it again.

Did you play it on steam or when it released? The bugs where terrible but only if you tried to quest it. Or complete it. Not just run around stabbing like a pretend viking. I'm thinking of the original forever ago. I was one of those cool silicon valley Cylons. So I got to play it like around or before puberty or whatever.

You may not be demon-god, or the chosen one from some long lost forgotten prophecy. But what you lack in divine powers you more than make up for with cunningness, determination and intestinal fortitude, and as such you must forge your path in the wilds as you explore the land. Eating, sleeping, hunting, resting and healing, and of course fighting! All skills you will need to live the adventurer’s life!

From outwards website. Intestinal fortitude is a big deal to me as a character trait or stat.

$39.99 on steam. Guessing that includes the DLC. I'll watch a YouTube of it. I love the idea of playing a janky human peasant girl who needs to knit her own socks so her feet don't freeze off ruining her charisma. Among other potentially fatal girl things we could simulate in a grotesquely amusing way.

Alllll of the dev's appear to be boys but I thought I saw two eggs in the group. That or an outright transphobic developer isn't extraordinarily odd though in this verse. Wouldn't be a hard no.

https://i.imgur.com/zI0OZVo.jpg
This imagine is pretty cool. Is hair braiding a skill?

Afaikt it seems heavily combat oriented and less simulation.

One of only a few non combat active skills at a chance.
https://i.imgur.com/a6EYqUi.jpg
I have no idea how the game works yet and need to dig deeper. It could have really in depth arts and crafts. It does have an interesting plethora of fighting skills however.

Jibartik
06-17-2020, 02:29 AM
I like how they pulled off the detailed yet nostalgic feeling (for me) environments with more modern seeming graphics.

It looks exactly like what I'd want an update to EQ to look like :D

I didn't like something about this the 2 or 3 times I was thinking of buying it. Maybe that it's indie Gothic or something. I forgot. I want something polished. You pretty happy with it?

Yeah, Im really happy with it, I made the mistake of looking up strategy guides and now the game is a little easymode and that kinda bums me out, like, I pretty much got all the gear I want till end game now, its time to go slay orcs in crushbone lol.. they made the mistake of not putting all the good gear at the bottom of dungeons. But if you played through it blind, you wouldnt figure that stuff out so easily hehe and it'd feel a lot like EQ offline mode!

Im thinking its a great game for the price at the very least but the care they put into it, it just def makes it worth it. They just need to learn how to make balance and AI work right for PVE, but as far as a survival game goes this is as close as it gets for good pve combat so far that I've played!

The ai uses line of sight to stay agro on you, so you can do some tricky things to hide behind trees and rocks and then jump back out at the enemy, and they seem to track you too, but maybe I am just excited and immersed and they just wander around erratically like most of these indi survival games lol

Afaikt it seems heavily combat oriented and less simulation.

acording to steam it was 17 hours in before i got in my first fight lol It was with a bird.

But then 24 hours later I slayed a bandit fort and a magical creature! But it did have a heavy survival start!

As for braiding hair, no not yet, maybe in the future? If rust is where it is today, then this game certainly will be EQ big 7 years from now if they keep this up :)

Im excited to try the expansion pack, as soon as I get my horror bow, which is the BIS bow (lmao, keep in mind I havent completed crushbone :facepalm: ) Im going to look into getting the expac

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 02:48 AM
Heavy combat focus is cool. I am just digging a bit there. I like in depth combat stuff.

I like the atmospherics in the other screenshots. Could be fun to explore without BIS gear ;p :p

Are there any interesting dialogues? Short stories? Secret guilds? No need for spoilers.

It seems like a game that also doesn't want to be completed. And to be replayed on alts. Is that viable?

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 09:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6YWChCcuzI ok you do the voice changer and do teeeheee (what is kinda scary is I know I could mimick her laughter, but I wont) while i rage and queue you with my get fucked line, which the female should say while the guy giggles like a deep baritone. I feel bad that is seems like those youtubers first exposer to online gaming was wow. I totally digress.

I think the game has a lot of potential. There is a tiny bit of wow going on there. And "achievment" quest. Do you have to maintain a balanced diet in order to stay healthy and not get fat and die? Can your teeth fall out so you have to boil soup for 3 days to get any nutrition at all??? I don't think so. You can poison yourself and make yourself sick though. That looks fun.

I have some high standards with survival games. I think it's definitely survival light. Monster heavy.

Also it looks like after you lose your house you can't sneak back in and re-steal your own goods back. That is kind of iffy for me. Can you kill the guard and get back in?

These are things I would like to find out. I'm not 100% sure if I can do 39.99 for it though.

It's kind of got a modded mincraft approach to food.

There's a few really golden minecraft mods that really enhance hunger, and give insanity, cold and heat effects, and exhaustion, make you suffocate if you start fires underground. They are all super fun and will kill you very quickly, but the world is alas, procedural gobblyguk unless you are an artist.

----

So far the big pros it seems are - easily accessible. Nice lovingly hand crafted graphics. A story is buried in there somewhere, I think. Fills a foid.

--- Cons

it's not really hard core enough, I want to get septic and die 5 days after getting scratched by a bandits rusty weapon, or get a flesh eating bacteria that starts devouring my arm if one of those cute chocobo things bite me.

The monsters seem kinda dumb. Some of the progression is in fact very linear almost.

Anyone here played oscuros oblivin overahaul with tons of mods? or original morowind with hunger, and starvation and stuff, those games where terrible, but they got some stuff right.

---- If it supports my modern graphics card or the vulkan API and doesn't shit a brick as soon as it's downloaded i'll call that a pro. The skybox is dreamy.

---------------------

I would say it is definately pretty polished. Doesn't look at all too buggy, no worse than wow at launch or like conan MMO was. And the developers certainly deserve a few bucks if you can shower them with money for pixels. Some A+ effort involved there making something cool. With heart.

----

I really want to make friends with the secret cave mushroom guys. We all know there's no allegory there.

OP I think, feel, and believe all at once, simultaneously you have some good, if not great taste in games. I'm very impressed with this one so far. Despite it's obvious shortcomings.

39.99 + 19.99 for the expansion. That is a total of 59.98, half a years subscription to live wow or EQ. ish. Seems like a decent deal. Especially if you like the game.

The game is designed with re-playablity in mind, the legacy system is neat, and it's highly reminicent of ascherons's call, for that alone it kind of deserves notice also.

*probably chomps outwards*

Mblake81
06-17-2020, 09:38 AM
1. Lack of streamlined skill trees.
2. Lack of customization, namely good John Wick skins.
3. Lack of e-sports pro league.
4. Lack of in game stores.
5. Lack of ability to buy XP boosters.
6. Lack of resemblance to Minecraft or Overwatch.
7. Lack of standard survival crafting.
8. Lack of zombies.
9. Lack of big explosions and hot console action.
10. Lack of GTA style mechanics.
11. Lack of my keyboard and mouse vibrating when I am hit.

I should have liked this game but I refunded it before the 2 hour mark. I ran around, killed a couple bandits for some of that sweet dark souls-like combat action (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jKumsQs158).

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 09:49 AM
I said survival lite so darksouls like, lol. The combat did look very easy. (sorry stuttering here i have not really slepped in awhile)

Can we jump or swim?
No.

and no to little information on which version of unity or whatever graphics API it uses. meh. I want to like it. But it is a real tough call

I mean I guess it's better than morrowind.

They claim you can get 40-80 hrs out of it.

And no, you can't kill all npcs.

Gheeyom [developer] Feb 4, 2019 @ 11:51am
First person view will not be an option in Outward.

Mblake81
06-17-2020, 10:14 AM
I mean I guess it's better than morrowind.

I mainly wanted to see a better story. Like if two guys meet a goblin and they drink his potion, yea! you know, they grow boobs and their wee-wee's fall off. Depth and intrigue. A love story of vulnerability, betrayal and insanity fit for a forum squabble. Later they can add a DLC quest to get revenge on the dwarves who refused to call them Ma'am.

I ain't a callin ye a Ma'am, bub!

but really though, you could fly in Morrowind. I am no fan of Todd but at least that was a fantasy game with wizard hats.

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 11:18 AM
I mainly wanted to see a better story. Like if two guys meet a goblin and they drink his potion, yea! you know, they grow boobs and their wee-wee's fall off. Depth and intrigue. A love story of vulnerability, betrayal and insanity fit for a forum squabble. Later they can add a DLC quest to get revenge on the dwarves who refused to call them Ma'am.

I ain't a callin ye a Ma'am, bub!

but really though, you could fly in Morrowind. I am no fan of Todd but at least that was a fantasy game with wizard hats.

I think I've seen this before already with a better vid, source, butt reposting: Is this the game you are looking for? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixGr8l_ovVs)

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 01:46 PM
So far I don't see much compitition in Outwards 'niche' asside from kinda Everquest, Skyrim, WoW. And Skyrim isn't competition. Anymore.

I did play elderscrolls online for a bit but it was a bit to much 'on the rails' for me like wow is in kinda stifling the way I like to randomly explore where I shouldn't. Or just kick over rocks in the forests. (yes I know about IRL snakes)

Dwarf fortress is cool but suffers from procedural generation and repetition where there could be a few hand crafted worlds to plug dwarf fortress rules into )

Gothic Three was terrible, and Two Worlds scared me. Dues Ex:Human Revolution was good, I don't feel like playing its sequal though, the dark themes are kind of stifling.

Quake 3 had awesome environments to explore, and learning all the trick jumps and power ups was kinda fun to.

Mblake81
06-17-2020, 01:53 PM
I think I've seen this before already with a better vid, source, butt reposting: Is this the game you are looking for? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixGr8l_ovVs)

Is it the one you are looking for because I was co-playing as you. Since you post it, must be.

No, I don't personally like any of that stuff.

So far I don't see much compitition in Outwards 'niche' asside from kinda Everquest, Skyrim, WoW. And Skyrim isn't competition. Anymore.

I did play elderscrolls online for a bit but it was a bit to much 'on the rails' for me like wow is in kinda stifling the way I like to randomly explore where I shouldn't. Or just kick over rocks in the forests. (yes I know about IRL snakes)

Dwarf fortress is cool but suffers from procedural generation and repetition where there could be a few hand crafted worlds to plug dwarf fortress rules into )

2 of those are MMORPGs and the other is a let-me-down rpg that has been out for 8 years with no sequel as studios milk things now, inspired by MMORPGs. Failure to recognize them as their own thing and only see the $$$, they are rewarded as players on console dig that. PC players now as well since they are the same now.

No on ESO, the genre is a joke these days aimed at a different audience. There are no games aimed at 30 somethings like there was when I was 18, and that audience had different tastes than these guys.

Never played DF nor do I care to.

magnetaress
06-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Is it the one you are looking for because I was co-playing as you. Since you post it, must be.

No, I don't personally like any of that stuff.

I was kinda confused by what you were doing, I think you did a fair job mocking me at my finest, but it was kind of extreme and I missed it. In the past I sorta enjoyed quick romps around stuff like team fortress which the dwarf in space game is kind of a rip off of. Not what I am looking for. The potty humar is funny for 30 secs or so every 5 minutes but I can't watch those videos really.

2 of those are MMORPGs and the other is a let-me-down rpg that has been out for 8 years with no sequel as studios milk things now, inspired by MMORPGs. Failure to recognize them as their own thing and only see the $$$, they are rewarded as players on console dig that. PC players now as well since they are the same now.

No on ESO, the genre is a joke these days aimed at a different audience. There are no games aimed at 30 somethings like there was when I was 18, and that audience had different tastes than these guys.

Yeah I absolutely agree. I don't think Outwards or even new games coming out in the next 15 years at least will carry any kind of real deep connection with adults or mature themes that haven't been watered down to be PG or PG13 or some kind of polotik (skyrim nords vs imperials) with some extra ketchup. I wonder if there's some government influence there. A lot of themes are 'too dark to explore' (not the crazy stuff you were mocking me about earlier). There's still the survival horror genre, but that for me is kind of almost the opposite direction to far. Like Zombies. Everywhere. For almost no reason. And terrible AI on purpose so people dont get fustrated and quit.

Never played DF nor do I care to.
I don't blame you it burns my eyes out, even with tile sets, I almost prefer without, still you have to become an autistic computer and then do a fair bit of imagination and writing to really get into it, not saying you can't but it requires an immense effort to enjoy rather than be an academic dive into an absolute marvel of engineering and options and meta-gaming -emergent- quirks.

Even Skyrim kind of ruined ES and Vampires for me. It's more of an arcade game with a bit of story and a few unique art assets, the dungeons require an overmind, mazelike kind of perception to really appreciate, the wall textures are the same everywhere. And to find the truly unique and special stuff requires 80+ hrs of digging around in the dark boring sameness of a very quick production cycle designed to create $$$, it's definately a kids game in many regards.

I once drew back a 60lb composite bow string, so I know what I am missing if I run around chasing deer in skyrim to make leather armor.

-----

Yep, I know dark souls. Dark souls hard, is there arts and crafts in dark souls even sorta kinda a little bit?

----------

I should probably pick up a good book instead or start coloring in this color in the lines thing for mindfulness etc. I'm not going to dig at the people who really get a lot out of these coloring books.

----

I read Contact by Carl Sagan, and that was a pure trip of delicious golden age thought programming. Felt amazing. I almost converted completely.

----

eq in some ways is just a digital form of morphine for me, perhaps it's better to stick with it rather than look for another fix, or get some perspective. U know how I feel about morphine et al tho. In some cases it's kind of a necessary evil.

See I didn't mean to have an existential crisis, I should give outwards a try and just report back.

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 12:47 AM
So, I'm like 5 mins into the tutorial and I think this game is great. I'm impressed with what they did with the unity engine (which I actually played around with trying to create something horribly basic), so I kinda grep how hard that is.

It's no dark souls. There are a few nuisances like when I was trying to dodge with the backpack the game said I was kinda dumb with an iconic emote.

It was clearly designed by someone who's familiar with how people set up MMO controls.

It's definitely reminiscent of Gothic as far as 'melee'.

But like, it's polished enough to consider pretty stable and pretty looking. I mustly want to run around and look at flowers in it, hopefully I can pick some, we'll see :D

Going to probably not return it! <3

Cecily if you have a beast of a computer it is pretty and atmospheric, I don't know what it looks like on a 'potato'.

I'll get over not having first person, I can still look up at the sky and ceilings.

Bardp1999
06-19-2020, 12:53 AM
Think i'll purchase this in the morning and give it a whirl. Seems kind of shitty but those are usually the games I get drawn in to

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 12:59 AM
My tutorial character may be a but uggly hobbit that looks like solleks

but check out dat ass!!
https://i.imgur.com/W4IxhXI.png
actually there's some cool art already. that doesn't trigger my feministdar I mean don't expect 'world of warcraft' level coolness, but it's better than the Orc starting zone.

hell it's just the tutorial which probably came way later after the fact, but this artist seems to take pride in their game and bothered to toss this up there incase someone like me came along and was like hurrr durr

https://i.imgur.com/zu2V2by.png

yes I look at cielings cuz i am not a dumb fuck

that came way before the porn, noticed the cooridors off the rails are shortcuts thru the tutorial, highly impressed again :D

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 01:31 AM
Well mblake you'll be happy to know I threw myself down an elevator shaft.....

.... in game and it didn't stop me. :D

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 02:39 AM
Beat the tutorial. Probably won't refund. Looks like I am in for an epic journey of deploying campfire tents and cooking pots.

I heard the footsteps of an enemy at least 10 seconds before it had attacked me, I was transfixed by my inventory and didn't really try to kill it when I noticed I was in danger.

I died.

I like this.

One would think the AI would have been smart enough to equip the uber armor tease at the end though before attacking me )

Admittedly a few things are a tiny bit shiny, but that can be forgiven in this day and age if one is not VIRGIN ULTRA MEGA GIGA GRUMPY LAD CHAD

Baler
06-19-2020, 02:40 AM
stop double posting

Cecily
06-19-2020, 02:41 AM
Survival games aren't fun for me. Think I'm just gonna play DS3 some more if I feel like video gaming. That's the perfect game for me. It kills me until im disgusted with it and then I quit for a few months. Code Vein might be fun, too.

Baler
06-19-2020, 02:41 AM
New Path of Exile League today. :)

Cecily
06-19-2020, 02:46 AM
That shoulda been fun for me, but I hit a point in my life where anything Diablo-esque just got boring as hell.

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 02:47 AM
I didn't double post. There was literally a 30 minute window in which I could not edit my old post and I was an hour outside of thank you very much.

Cecily I think probably a good idea if you don't like the tedium of feeding urself and cooking food for stats.

Baler
06-19-2020, 02:49 AM
I didn't double post. There was literally a 30 minute window in which I could not edit my old post and I was an hour outside of thank you very much.

https://i.imgur.com/NCL5yNQ.gif

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 02:54 AM
https://i.imgur.com/NCL5yNQ.gif

thx for the chuckle

forcing myself to go to bed so i sound less crazy with my shrink tommorow

Baler
06-19-2020, 03:02 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zu7ESt7.jpg
final fantasy outfits in outward

Jibartik
06-19-2020, 03:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/zu7ESt7.jpg
final fantasy outfits in outward

buy stock in this game folks! :cool:

Jibartik
06-19-2020, 03:40 AM
Think i'll purchase this in the morning and give it a whirl. Seems kind of shitty but those are usually the games I get drawn in to

yeah haha I brought a friend into the game tonight, you can do coop, he literally said "I dont know why you love these shitty games" lol you guys will get it, he's wrong! :mad::o

DMN
06-19-2020, 07:48 AM

Fuck Pile of Excrement. Can't believe anyone ever who played EQ would ever want anything to do with that stinking piece of derivative shit.

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 09:06 AM
It's not shitty. It's got some low production value and shortcuts happened.

It hides it well.

It's Star Trek: TOS as it is to Star Trek: The Next Generation.

BlackBellamy
06-19-2020, 10:02 AM
Fuck Pile of Excrement. Can't believe anyone ever who played EQ would ever want anything to do with that stinking piece of derivative shit.

Well it's two completely different games. One of them depends on APM to keep you focused and the other depends on your ability to stay focused while doing absolutely nothing.

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 01:06 PM
I think the final fantasy stuff is likely mods, also that cheerleader outfit is kind of out of character for the game and sexist. I'm open to some co-op. Going to play a bit, see if I want to go ahead and get soroboreans before beating it once.

The initial bit of music for the game is pretty good too. It's mellow and non intrusive, but ambient, and has some movement and emotion to it.

https://i.imgur.com/M1Z0BEl.png

And Mae is reborn unto a new world with no memory save what has been passed on to her through her lineage and heritage. She'll probably permadie, because she's hardcore, not a hero. May her legacy be a good one.

Jibartik
06-19-2020, 02:56 PM
I really like the music, its like, very dramatic for picking berries but like it makes me feel like I'm in an anime movie or something.

When you get to Berg its like the music there is so rad, you're just shopping at street vender stands, but you feel like such an amazing warrior adventurer.

edit:

Haha! So, fuck this pile of excrement this is basically what my IRL friend said when I convinced him to join me coop, but he also added "idk why you like shitty games like this and everquest..."

So from the unbiased eye, I would argue it seems as though the games are similar :o

magnetaress
06-19-2020, 03:13 PM
The music is pretty good so far, I'm about 5 minutes into a blind play through, but I spent 1 day running around and talking to people:

Voidess: cheers i'm in outward trying to mentally disconnect from reality some so my brain can rest or get stimulated in new and different ways. :wink:
Ukwn: I read some of the thread on that, yours and others' descriptions - sounds fun! :smile:
Ukwn: are thete pretty good variables in the combat and choices?
Ukwn: What about in dialogue options?
Ukwn: I always liked the versatility of dislogue options in the old fallout games
Ukwn: and how it changed and your reactions based on different variables
Voidess: there's some pretty severe concequences for choices on which faction to join etc.. you can't do it all in one game, you can build an interesting character, but some are more optimal than others, i mean it's way more freeform than EQ, but there are sorta 'classes', I think if you want to play a ninja, or paladin, or cleric, or rogue, or archer, or survivalist, or vampire there's something there for everyone )
Voidess: its a little less freeform and open ended than skyrim or like oblivion
Voidess: but not much
Voidess: i never liked the witcher games, i'll let you know
Voidess: i already really appreciate just standing on the beach with the sunset )
Voidess: and purple hair!
Voidess: i think there's definately some queer love in the game
Voidess: but maybe not like overt stuff
Voidess: its more like morrowind in polish
Voidess: you know the limitations are kind of purposeful
Voidess: not a hotbar with a million slots and hotkeys
Voidess: having to utilize your inventory some for deeper gameplay instead of just having a potion key
Voidess: etc
Voidess: so far :D, i'll let you know!
Ukwn: Sounds impressive!
Ukwn: Thanks for the insider infos
Ukwn: :smile:
Voidess: it's not tho
Voidess: but it is
Voidess: but it's not
Ukwn: like it doesn't try to be?
Ukwn: like oldschool eq?
Voidess: it's got humility
Voidess: however that translates for a video game
Voidess: i feel love infront of it
Voidess: i'm a weird psychic tho
Voidess: so i stumbled around, found some horrible voice acting, and then died, i could have won but you know that killer instinct is just not that strong when i'm not angry and the wolf thing got me, I was rescued, and found out the society is lead by a matriarch who is pretty cool and has a decent voice, the writing is a pleasure!

an interesting thing is that, i can pause, or quit the game and come back to it kind of at will, though it's there in the back of my head :D I want to see where this goes, I think I'm going to try and find the stash and get the mushroom and see if I can get close to that 150 silver, I was succesfully sneaky once :D I can do it again!

Tann
06-20-2020, 11:44 AM

I tried hard to like this game but after about 1300 hours I gave up. I just can't get into the end game, which apparently is the main selling point of it. Soon as I get a character to map level I lose interest immediately and start a new toon.

Outward though, gonna give that a whirl soon. But I'm stuck on Gunfire Reborn currently.

Snortles Chortles
06-20-2020, 12:56 PM
"I dont know why you love these shitty games"

Jibartik
06-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Ah this reminds me, I should play some outward right now, gotta go deliver a letter to Berg.

magnetaress
06-20-2020, 01:46 PM
Well I just saved the tribe guy, trogs can see me coming a mile a way lol. I ran. Have only died the 1st time. Got my first trog kill and am looking for the stash...

magnetaress
06-20-2020, 03:19 PM
Well I just saved the tribe guy, trogs can see me coming a mile a way lol. I ran. Have only died the 1st time. Got my first trog kill and am looking for the stash...

Since this post is locked and I cannot edit or update it, oh well I am posting again.

I'm about 5 hrs in. I've made a circle around Cziero. Explored some. Killed two trogs. Fell in love with my simple bow. Stayed far away from threatening bandits and birds. I don't play to lose peoples.

I like how the game isn't super grindy.

It's a bit easy to get lost. And it's a bit on the rails in some regards. There's no sneaking around stealing loot from peoples houses and getting rich, but it's a lot less exploitable in that regard.

The stealth mechanics are hard, and I haven't gotten it to work on troglodytes, but the trogs are also crazy good listeners, so I have heard. It's dark and it's hard to see.

I am about to go adventure and make money so I can afford some better stuff. The game is charming it sucks me in. I enjoy the slow pace. It's kind of hard to 'be a class' or create a character at the early stages, my options are to be a crazed axe wielding maniac, a nomad with a quarterstaff, or a big sword and machete wielding maniac. All of the daggers I found are offhand, so the game seems to kind of discourage the classic rogue archetype. That said, I am finding other ways to be sneaky and clever.

I want to go to the trog cave and sneak around naked with low weight and no noisy armor on and see if that makes a difference lol, but that will probably just get me killed. Wish me luck! By the way, it wasn't super hard to get the mushroom without a fight. From there anyway.

Granted its a game, but in a survival situation a person with some fat on them could survive a long time without eating :D

--- oh clever, the water level changes with the tide in the cave XD

magnetaress
06-20-2020, 04:38 PM
https://i.imgur.com/RnefgOZ.png

The purple haired starkind stalks the depths of Aurai!!! With a poisoned bow.

Secrets
06-20-2020, 10:58 PM
The concept of this game makes me expand Outward.

Jibartik
06-21-2020, 12:56 AM
I be creeping in my roost!

https://i.imgur.com/4KctcH2.png

cus Ill blast you with my firepistol cus I enforce the birdlaw round here now!

https://i.imgur.com/yBCHXdF.png

Caw-POW

https://i.imgur.com/sMvl51O.png

Cecily
06-21-2020, 01:00 AM
Who's the man in the suit? Who's the cat with the beak?

magnetaress
06-21-2020, 02:39 AM
I died, but not in the trog cave. The mages under Levant got me. I probably should not have gone down there... R.I.P. The game is very combat oriented. I have only found a few rare scenarios were sneak kinda is an option out of 10 hrs of gameplay, it's not for the majority of cases. It's not EQ really... it does let people gather up items and horde stuff and learn where stuff is though. It's not morrowind. Some things are garanteed to be there. So it would be possible to start a new game and B-line to a few gems. If thats your thing?

There's mystery and story and lore, and some campy humor yet to be discovered, and I only kind of rushed through to Abassar. Falling over from heatstroke in the desert was nice lol. It's definitely 'hard enough' to be played through on normal mode without resorting to hardcore. Perma death is brutal when it takes a few hours to run out somewhere. I think the real money maker will be running the merchent delivery quests, from like Czierzo to Berg, Berg to Monsoon, etc...

Great for something different. I do like the overall art feel, even if some of it is a bit rough out in the wilderness, or sparse. That score will probably go up once I get a little further in some skill trees. It'll probably be an 8/10. Right now it feels 6.5/10 ish.

I like the Kazite cat masks, I'll probably get one for a 'assasiny' character. Seeing as I now know were the merchent is that sells them )

Jibartik
06-21-2020, 03:06 AM
Perma death is brutal when it takes a few hours to run out somewhere.

Id play a permadeath EQ server, but this game is just not good enough for me to put myself through permadeath haha, its fun but not that fun!

I dont even think Id like to play it again as a second class, or even the expansion, maybe, idk, we'll see how I feel after I play through the full story. That's cool that you're in levant, apparently if you join a guild and get the main quest storyline going, you have 20 in game days to complete a few things or else like, idk you lose or something, so be careful! I haven't joined one yet, I'm still iddling on the first quest. Now Im just starting to get going now that I'm pretty much fully geared out with all the skills. I just killed one of those spooky creatures wit the cow skull heads that have the blue butterflies flying around them. And a Manticore I killed one of those!

I like to make NPCs fight, I kited like 9 bandits to a giant and they got whooped, but it was awesome to see. It had this huge halbread that was just knocking em all down with WOOSH! WOOSH! they'd all go flying haha. Then I shot arrows in the giants head as the fight finished and the last two fell at the same time. NPCs hate each other more in this game than they do in EQ lol

Pistols are very fun, I think 1h sword and pistol in the offhand would be a very fun character to try a second time maybe. There's a rogue sweep kick that knocks people down if they are confused, so maybe a 1h sword attack that causes confusion, sweep kick, then shoot them in the face while they lay there with you standing over them like a gangster.

There are some really cool quests, one where you have to put a skeleton together and he's pretty funny.

Another one where you have to solve an elevator puzzle, with all these leavers. I kept thinking, if this quest was in EQ Snortles would sit at the leavers for 10hrs a day so people couldn't complete it, and how I would enjoy reading post after post about that.

Its a good solo (duo) rpg with a lot of good EQ vibes, if you're looking for a game to play through with a partner or something that is into games like EQ, but not into eq. I recommend this one for 39$ but yeah, Mag is very right, its far from EQ, but its also weirdly close if you imagine hard enough :cool: but either way it is certainly a fun single playthrough at least.

I like the Kazite cat masks, I'll probably get one for a 'assasiny' character. Seeing as I now know were the merchent is that sells them )

I found the rogue trainer, if you go around the wall of lavant to the right, around the back is a door to the slums and it takes you right there! FYI

BTW bleeding is super OP in this game, I use this Elk Bow that gives Pain, (that's a 25% bonus to Dots), I use Bleed shot with it (that I got in Berg) Which is a Dot, so thats' a big dot right off the bat with a double debuff/dot for the first shot, then I hot swap to my horror bow and hit them to apply poison, an effect of the bow (which gets the bonus as well), then I run up and shot them in the face with my fire pistol, that sets them on fire putting the 3rd dot on them, at that point if they're not dead, I just run around in circles until they are, that's how I beat the big baddy cow face thing and the manticore, if you're having trouble with combat, seek the bleeds!

Also in outdoor zones, making NPCs fight is an extremely OP strat fyi even if you do zero damage you get the loot lol wtf! But just make sure you don't get caught in the middle with no stam.

magnetaress
06-21-2020, 04:11 AM
Id play a permadeath EQ server, but this game is just not good enough for me to put myself through permadeath haha, its fun but not that fun!

I dont even think Id like to play it again as a second class, or even the expansion, maybe, idk, we'll see how I feel after I play through the full story. That's cool that you're in levant, apparently if you join a guild and get the main quest storyline going, you have 20 in game days to complete a few things or else like, idk you lose or something, so be careful! I haven't joined one yet, I'm still iddling on the first quest. Now Im just starting to get going now that I'm pretty much fully geared out with all the skills. I just killed one of those spooky creatures wit the cow skull heads that have the blue butterflies flying around them. And a Manticore I killed one of those!

I like to make NPCs fight, I kited like 9 bandits to a giant and they got whooped, but it was awesome to see. It had this huge halbread that was just knocking em all down with WOOSH! WOOSH! they'd all go flying haha. Then I shot arrows in the giants head as the fight finished and the last two fell at the same time. NPCs hate each other more in this game than they do in EQ lol

Pistols are very fun, I think 1h sword and pistol in the offhand would be a very fun character to try a second time maybe. There's a rogue sweep kick that knocks people down if they are confused, so maybe a 1h sword attack that causes confusion, sweep kick, then shoot them in the face while they lay there with you standing over them like a gangster.

There are some really cool quests, one where you have to put a skeleton together and he's pretty funny.

Another one where you have to solve an elevator puzzle, with all these leavers. I kept thinking, if this quest was in EQ Snortles would sit at the leavers for 10hrs a day so people couldn't complete it, and how I would enjoy reading post after post about that.

Its a good solo (duo) rpg with a lot of good EQ vibes, if you're looking for a game to play through with a partner or something that is into games like EQ, but not into eq. I recommend this one for 39$ but yeah, Mag is very right, its far from EQ, but its also weirdly close if you imagine hard enough :cool: but either way it is certainly a fun single playthrough at least.

I found the rogue trainer, if you go around the wall of lavant to the right, around the back is a door to the slums and it takes you right there! FYI

BTW bleeding is super OP in this game, I use this Elk Bow that gives Pain, (that's a 25% bonus to Dots), I use Bleed shot with it (that I got in Berg) Which is a Dot, so thats' a big dot right off the bat with a double debuff/dot for the first shot, then I hot swap to my horror bow and hit them to apply poison, an effect of the bow (which gets the bonus as well), then I run up and shot them in the face with my fire pistol, that sets them on fire putting the 3rd dot on them, at that point if they're not dead, I just run around in circles until they are, that's how I beat the big baddy cow face thing and the manticore, if you're having trouble with combat, seek the bleeds!

Also in outdoor zones, making NPCs fight is an extremely OP strat fyi even if you do zero damage you get the loot lol wtf! But just make sure you don't get caught in the middle with no stam.

Don't forget the game is full of traps to. :eek: Lol. ;)

When I was running around the little area by Styx, I kinda got a deus ex vibe too.

There's just so much charm sprinkled around. I wish they had 100 million for a budget and could escape from the Unity engine. It is fun. The combat is fine. The varied skill builds add lots of flavor. Normally, I couldn't look past a few things, but they don't detract from my enjoyment in this game.