PDA

View Full Version : What are the most cost-effective coin purses on the market?

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Looking for a coin purse to reduce coin weight, doesn't have to be very good, but whatever I can get that is reasonable and doesn't cost a bloody fortune, and can maybe hold a bit of equipment like food/drink, or small loot like gems.

What are my options?

loramin
06-13-2020, 04:40 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=coin+purse (or http://wiki.project1999.com/Weight-reducing_Bags to see them together in a table)

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 04:42 PM
http://wiki.project1999.com/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=coin+purse (or http://wiki.project1999.com/Weight-reducing_Bags to see them together in a table)

I don't think studded coin purse counts as a container or reduces coin weight.

it says the small coin purse sells for 4,000pp on average, is that accurate? How much would a medium go for in that case?

Tiny would probably be enough, just to hold food/drink and cut down on gold/silver weight.

Trazic
06-13-2020, 05:08 PM
Good luck finding someone selling a small coin purse. Searching the forums shows only 3 people have ever listed them here. I am sure more have been sold in game but it is going to be hard to find.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 05:13 PM
Good luck finding someone selling a small coin purse. Searching the forums shows only 3 people have ever listed them here. I am sure more have been sold in game but it is going to be hard to find.

What are my options then for a coin purse that's actively on the market and doesn't cost a gold bar from fort knox?

loramin
06-13-2020, 05:14 PM
What are my options then for a coin purse that's actively on the market and doesn't cost a gold bar from fort knox?

Don't carry coin :) Also see "vendor banking" (ie. carry a gem of significant value, find a vendor with free space in their inventory, then sell and rebuy your gem over and over; you lose a small amount on each sale, but you convert your lesser coin into plat without a bank).

Trazic
06-13-2020, 05:17 PM
You can definitely find tiny coin purses for sale occasionally. And they are really cheap I think... 300p? I know I had one on my monk that I bought in ec.

Out of curiosity I decided to search "small coin purse" on my EC mule's massive log file. Zero hits with years of data.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 05:18 PM
You can definitely find tiny coin purses for sale occasionally. And they are really cheap I think... 300p? I know I had one on my monk that I bought in ec.

Tiny would be sufficient. I could store my food/drink in it even.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 05:30 PM
I'm also going to need some Shralok packs for both my Pally and future Ranger. How bad/time consuming is it farming those in Highpass on Blue?

loramin
06-13-2020, 05:59 PM
I'm also going to need some Shralok packs for both my Pally and future Ranger. How bad/time consuming is it farming those in Highpass on Blue?

I farmed them in Nektulos on Green, and in a few hours I had enough to fill all my bag slots (5 or 6, I forget). YMMV.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 06:22 PM
I farmed them in Nektulos on Green, and in a few hours I had enough to fill all my bag slots (5 or 6, I forget). YMMV.

Nektulos? According to the wiki, the mob that drops them is only in High Pass and Kithicor.

loramin
06-13-2020, 07:09 PM
Nektulos? According to the wiki, the mob that drops them is only in High Pass and Kithicor.

Gah, I meant Kithicor, sorry (Nek and Kith are both forests I don't go to often and somehow they merged in my head).

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 11:48 AM
I have a Tiny Coin Purse on one of my caster characters. I stopped using it. It isn't worth the loss of 6-8 bag slots, IMO. It only saves a few stone on coin, if you have a LOT of coin. The problem is by the time you see any decent weight reduction on coin with the Tiny Coin Purse, you are already well overweight from the coin. The reduction at that point is not enough to increase your run speed.

Here is some math: If you have 100 stone in coin, you are only saving 10 stone. A cloth caster will probably have around 80 strength, and carry 40 stone in items and bags at least. This is before they loot anything from the mobs they are killing. This means you are at 140/80 stone without the tiny coin purse. Saving 10 stone at that point will mean very little in terms of speed/AGI increase. As you get even more coin, the problem becomes worse for people with lower STR.

Medium coin purses are probably the best bet for most people. I doubt they ever sell, but when you get higher level, you can probably farm them. Some of the Skyshrine mobs that can drop it are not super tough. 40% weight reduction, 4 slots, and medium capacity is pretty good. In the caster scenario above, you would be at 100/80 stone, which is much more reasonable. Even at 200 stone of coin you would be saving 80 stone, which is good for a tank class. My 56 SK runs around with 115 stone, and has 213 strength. This is before coin and looted items. With 200 stone of coin, I would be at 315/213 stone without the medium coin purse. With the medium coin purse, that would take me down to 235/213 stone, which is only a very small reduction in AGI, and probably no reduction in move speed at that strength.

Obviously large coin purse is awesome, but that never sells, and requires you to be in a raid guild that kills Yelinak. If it does sell, it would be for 100k at least I am sure. Probably hundreds of thousands of pp.

Pyrocat
06-16-2020, 02:53 PM
Has anyone ever seen a medium coin purse drop or for sale?

Also I think your math is off, Tiny Coin Purse is 20% WR for coin, not 10%

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 03:16 PM
Has anyone ever seen a medium coin purse drop or for sale?

Also I think your math is off, Tiny Coin Purse is 20% WR for coin, not 10%

Ah. You are correct, it is 20% reduction. My bad. I believe my previous point still stands, however. 20 stone reduction per 100 stone of coin is not a great reduction for anyone. On a cloth caster, 120/80 is still 50% over your total STR, which is still a massive reduction in Speed/AGI. I stopped using the coin purse on my cloth caster for this very reason. You simply need too much coin to get decent weight reduction, and by the time you get that much coin, you are already sorely overweight. Having 6-8 additional bag slots is more useful, especially with the gems being a great form of alternate currency.

40% and higher is where things seem to start getting good, from a math perspective. I have never had a medium coin purse, however, or seen one. I would assume they drop, if no one has corrected the Wiki by now, but who knows. Wiki corrections are definitely not a common occurrence sadly.

It would make sense that they do not get sold, or seen often. Killing mobs in Skyshrine isn't a very common endeavor, due to most people going for Thurgadin/Claws of Veeshan faction. People who do tend to kill in Skyshrine usually want the mythical https://wiki.project1999.com/Guardian_Robe for ultimate fashion.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 03:19 PM
I was also going to use the coin purse to hold my Rations and Water Flasks. Or better if I start buying better food eventually.

My Ranger ideally is going to have the Tiny Coin Purse, a Fleeting Quiver (IF the Bow Haste on that quiver stacks with Worn Haste like Sash of the Dragonborn), and four Shralok Packs. The remaining two slots will be taken up by a Fire Beetle Eye and Tolan's Darkwood Bracer.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 03:30 PM
I was also going to use the coin purse to hold my Rations and Water Flasks. Or better if I start buying better food eventually.

My Ranger ideally is going to have the Tiny Coin Purse, a Fleeting Quiver (IF the Bow Haste on that quiver stacks with Worn Haste like Sash of the Dragonborn), and four Shralok Packs. The remaining two slots will be taken up by a Fire Beetle Eye and Tolan's Darkwood Bracer.

I am not saying a tiny coin purse is worthless. But from my experience, Inventory space is more important than 20% coin reduction. If you have a Tiny Coin Purse and a Fleeting Quiver, you have already lost 12 out of the possible 80 inventory slots you can have (8 bags, 10 slots at best). That is a large chunk of slots lost. Most of the time, you can just destroy copper/silver to gain most of your weight back, with a very low cost.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Destroying 1000 silver and 1000 copper is 11pp. Carrying 6-8 more items is a lot more money in most cases.

loramin
06-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Destroying 1000 silver and 1000 copper is 11pp. Carrying 6-8 more items is a lot more money in most cases.

I literally just delete all copper and silver the moment I get encumbered on any character. Sometimes (depending on the camp, and how badly I do or don't to leave it) I'll even delete gold! :eek:

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 03:46 PM
If you guys are looting so much crap that you actually need all 80 slots...because I don't think that happens in Planar raids. Or Kael or Skyshrine.

But what do I know. I have yet to raid.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 03:51 PM
If you guys are looting so much crap that you actually need all 80 slots...because I don't think that happens in Planar raids. Or Kael or Skyshrine.

But what do I know. I have yet to raid.

Even when you dont raid, you build up a nice collection of clickies, keys, and resist gear. This is especially true for non gate classes. I use 40 slots on my SK for clickies, food, keys, and resist gear.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 04:11 PM
Even when you dont raid, you build up a nice collection of clickies, keys, and resist gear. This is especially true for non gate classes. I use 40 slots on my SK for clickies, food, keys, and resist gear.

Personally I would just keep most of that stuff banked until needed. I honestly don't get why there's such an emphasis on resist gear for raiding too. Wouldn't it be more important to cap the damage stats like Str, Dex, and max HP via Sta? You can't do that with buffs alone.

If anything, I would try to build a universal gear set that has both stats and resists.

loramin
06-16-2020, 04:37 PM
I honestly don't get why there's such an emphasis on resist gear for raiding too. Wouldn't it be more important to cap the damage stats like Str, Dex, and max HP via Sta?

No matter what your stats are, you do zero damage (or healing) when feared ... or dead.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Personally I would just keep most of that stuff banked until needed. I honestly don't get why there's such an emphasis on resist gear for raiding too. Wouldn't it be more important to cap the damage stats like Str, Dex, and max HP via Sta? You can't do that with buffs alone.

If anything, I would try to build a universal gear set that has both stats and resists.

Most characters use 8 slot bags, because most 10 slot bags are either expensive (Tink Bags), or have low weight reduction (hand crafted backpacks). Everything else that is good is lore. This means most characters have mostly 8 slot bags. This means a normal character has 64 slots, by default. Lets say that character has a Box of Nil Space, and a Large Soiled bag, for a total of 68 slots. This would be the most common scenario.

If you are a Ranger with a Tiny Coin Purse, and a Fleeting quiver, you have lost potentially 12 slots a worst, 8 slots at best. So you go down to 60 slots at best. If you use the quiver for it's purpose (holding arrows), you lose an additional 6 slots. This brings you down to 54 slots total, with just arrows.

Bringing resistance gear while soloing is important on Melees. It allows you to fight casters you would otherwise be unable to fight. Clickies are nice, for extra buffs and saving spell gems. They save mana, and can sometimes even give you a spell you don't normally have.

It is convenient to bring keys with you, so you don't have to run to the bank every time you want to group in a specific dungeon. This is especially true if a bank is far away from the zone you want to visit.

You can easily use up 40 slots for this kind of gear even when soloing, as my SK does. Even if you get that down to 30, you only have 24-20 slots left over after the calculations above. I am constantly running out of bag space when fighting monsters that drop gems and jewelry, for example. When I kill Goos in Wakening Land on my SK, I need to go sell every few hours, with 24 slots available.

loramin
06-16-2020, 04:46 PM
This means most characters have mostly 8 slot bags.

Maybe you shouldn't go quite that far with assumptions. I have some Shralok Packs on my Green toon, and some regular backpacks on like level 3 alts ... and literally every other bag I own, on every other alt and on Loramin, is a 10-slot one. I imagine I'm not the only one.

I agree with all the rest though: Loadsamoney just needs to "grow up" (in EQ, not IRL! :)) and he'll start understanding how easy it is for bag slots to disappear.

Also, I'd add to what you wrote that on pretty much all of my characters I have JBoots/SoW boots taking up one inventory slot, and usually another inventory slot is used up on another right-click item (Quillmane cloak, mage focus item, etc.), or possibly a soulbound key (eg. if you keep your Seb key in the first inventory slot, it doesn't screw up your bag order when you loot your corpse)). It's really nice to be able to instantly SoW/JBoots myself, or convert my pet into mana, or whatever, so I find it's worth giving up those slots ... but that just makes other bag slots all the more precious.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 04:55 PM
Maybe you shouldn't go quite that far with assumptions. I have some Shralok Packs on my Green toon, and some regular backpacks on like level 3 alts ... and literally every other bag I own, on every other alt and on Loramin, is a 10-slot one. I imagine I'm not the only one.

I agree with all the rest though: Loadsamoney just needs to "grow up" (in EQ, not IRL! :)) and he'll start understanding how easy it is for bag slots to disappear.

Of course, I also tend to have more 10 slot bags myself. Since I have a Troll and an Ogre, hand made backpacks are quite appealing, due to my high strength offsetting the weight reduction of Shraloks. By "most characters", I assume the 3rd-4th alts people haven't bothered to fully gear, new players, etc. Obviously veteran p99 players know the ins and outs of bags:D

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 04:57 PM

Well, either that, or how crucial resistances are in raid fights. :cool:

I am very much a student of the game, after all.

loramin
06-16-2020, 04:59 PM
Well, either that, or how crucial resistances are in raid fights. :cool:

I am very much a student of the game, after all.

Well I very much didn't meant that in a dismissive way. I just meant, I felt the same way as you for a long time ... and then I actually started raiding (and acquiring soulbound keys, and right-click items, etc.) and I changed my mind.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 05:02 PM
Well I very much didn't meant that in a dismissive way. I just meant, I felt the same way as you for a long time ... and then I actually started raiding (and acquiring soulbound keys, and right-click items, etc.) and I changed my mind.

I'll learn, one day. I'm inquiring about joining Kittens Who Say Meow when I hit 31, as I'll feel committed to my character by then (getting past the first hell level and all). The other guild that caught my eye is Azure Guard, but they're only taking 46+ right now, so that's a ways off. I know they have a pretty solid reputation on Blue as well.

As I understand it, the Hell levels are at 30, 35, 40, 45, and then 50 onward, with 53 and 58 supposedly being "Super" Hell levels?

7thGate
06-16-2020, 05:49 PM
Resists matter in a bunch of cases. There's a very noticeable difference between 180 and 255 resists in a number of situations, and on some fights you basically have to be capped to resist much of anything. Halls of testing, going from 200 to 255 resist probably goes from resisting 20%ish to 40-50% of the damage you take from a Red Wurm. In Siren's Grotto, for example, nothing can land anything on you if you're over 230 MR, while you can still get unlucky and get Charmed or Slowed at 180 or lower, and its a nightmare if you're sub-60 and under 100 MR.

Jayya is a Rogue, so is around 170 STR unbuffed and will be at the STR cap whenever there's a 60 shaman (or a lower level shaman/druid if she's wearing her tanking gear). She doesn't really have the weight problem, its mostly a question of slots for her, so she's using mostly 10 slot bags (Tinker Bag, Large Soiled Bag, Two Hand Made Backpacks and a Deluxe Toolbox)

Her normal bag slots contain:

1) Food
2) Drink
3) Light Velium Bow (for pulling or bow kiting)
4-9) Fire Resist Set: Reinforced Dragonskin Mask, Dragon Tooth Choker, White Stain Gloves, Black Ice Boots, Drakescale Belt (+59 FR over base)
10) Cold Resist Gear: Seahorse Scale Cloak (+30 CR over base)
11-12) Magic Resist Gear: Sarnak Emblazoned Tabard, Jagged Blade of Mourning
13-18) Tanking/Solo/No Shaman Str Gear: Crystal Chitin Gauntlets, Ancient Seahorse Hide Cloak, Idol of the Thorned, Thornstinger, Ivandyr's Hoop, Coldain Ring 8 (+49 worn AC/+25 STR)

19-27) Clickies: WC Cap, Kromzek Surveyor Scope, Black Flower of Functionality, 10 Dose Greater Potion of Heat, 10 Dose Greater Potion of Cold, 10 Dose Greater Null Potion, Journeyman's Boots, Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, Frozen Turban

28-29) Convenience Proc Weapons: Embalmer's Skinning Knife, Overthere Hammer

30-33) Keys: Tooth of the Cobalt Scar, Shrine Key, Key to Charassis, Trakanon Idol

34-37) Root/Slow Poison: Constrict Suspension, Delphinium, Thorny Ergot, Lined Poison Vial

38) EB Item: Ornately Runed Shell Necklace
39) Lockpicks

She carries a Mortar and Pestle for Poison, a Fletching Kit for Archery, and Bag of Sewn Evil-Eye. The other 5 slots are all 10 slot bags, for a total of 72 slots. When I need to apply clickies, I either equip them (if I'm trying to block glimmer drake dispel and need easy access to spam 3+) or put it on my cursor, swap it with a bag, right click, then put the bag back.

I can, of course, leave some of this in the bank if need be. Recently I needed ~30 free bag slots to make Blinding Poison III for an experiment, so I banked most of my tanking gear and the Howling Stones key.

There's some clickies I don't have that I would like; Green and White flowers of Functionality, for example. There's also Sleeper's Tomb and VP keys I don't have. On the other hand, some equipment upgrades could remove the need to carry some of these by making it less attractive to swap over on a situational basis.

In terms of other stuff, I do like carrying snare poison materials too, but don't have any on me right now and don't always dedicate the bag space, but that takes another 4 slots. I'm currently still holding 6 Blinding Poison III doses, waiting for another opportunity to do some stuff with that. I have two quest drops, a blue diamond and some extraneous poison making materials I need to get banked at some point but haven't had a good opportunity to do yet.

Also, she used to carry Greater Potions of Purity/Greater Potion of Adroitness; Adroitness+Heat Potions would get her almost to STA cap, since she's at about 150 unbuffed. Those ran out though and I've been too lazy to replace them, but that's another two slots. Kilva's Skin of Flame also took up a slot while soloing.

She used to have 8 root nets and 5 golem metal wands, but the great clicky nerf at least freed up the root net bag space. She still have the golem metal wands, but they're currently banked. I do miss them sometimes though, I should go get one out for when you absolutely need someone uncharmed right now or there's a damage shield people are being too slow dispelling.

loramin
06-16-2020, 06:16 PM
As I understand it, the Hell levels are at 30, 35, 40, 45, and then 50 onward, with 53 and 58 supposedly being "Super" Hell levels?

Sounds right.

7thGate
06-16-2020, 06:20 PM
I'll learn, one day. I'm inquiring about joining Kittens Who Say Meow when I hit 31, as I'll feel committed to my character by then (getting past the first hell level and all). The other guild that caught my eye is Azure Guard, but they're only taking 46+ right now, so that's a ways off. I know they have a pretty solid reputation on Blue as well.

Hell levels are 30, 35, 40, 45, 51+ with 54 and 59 being double hell levels. I spent almost a year at 59 since I stopped XPing since it was so slow it was depressing. I just kind of meandered my way there slowly by being in XP groups on raids with lots of trash mobs (fear, hate, kael, ring wars, etc) and helping people do things.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 07:06 PM
How bad will it be when I hit 60? Does the EXP roll over to nothing if you ding again at 60? Do you automatically go back to 59 if you die at 60? What's the deal?

loramin
06-16-2020, 07:15 PM
How bad will it be when I hit 60? Does the EXP roll over to nothing if you ding again at 60? Do you automatically go back to 59 if you die at 60? What's the deal?

It's a normal level, and you can fill it up ... but of course you'll never get 61, so it's only good as "safety experience" to prevent deaths from taking you down to 59.

Jimjam
06-16-2020, 07:20 PM
59 being a double hell level means the xp hit for dieing at 60 is pretty huge.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 07:27 PM
It's a normal level, and you can fill it up ... but of course you'll never get 61, so it's only good as "safety experience" to prevent deaths from taking you down to 59.

But does it start over once it fills up or does it just max out and stop?

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 08:03 PM
But does it start over once it fills up or does it just max out and stop?

It stops at 5 gold bubbles. You do not get "over experience". At level 60, experience is just a buffer to maintain level 60. I sometimes just loot my corpse without getting a resurrection, because I will get the XP back, and I am not able to level higher.

I only get concerned if I start getting low, like less than two golds. That can start to cause issues in a raid. You could lose your level after dying a few times, and lose access to your 60 spells. You can't always get resurrected right away, so you may die a few times before you get resurrections.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 08:17 PM
It stops at 5 gold bubbles. You do not get "over experience". At level 60, experience is just a buffer to maintain level 60. I sometimes just loot my corpse without getting a resurrection, because I will get the XP back, and I am not able to level higher.

I only get concerned if I start getting low, like less than two golds. That can start to cause issues in a raid. You could lose your level after dying a few times, and lose access to your 60 spells. You can't always get resurrected right away, so you may die a few times before you get resurrections.

How much do you lose at 60 if you die? I'll have a 90% res by then.

DeathsSilkyMist
06-16-2020, 08:20 PM

As a 60 Ogre Shaman, I tend to lose about 4 blues per death. So I can die roughly 6 or 7 times before I de-level to 59, at max XP. As a Shaman, I can get XP back wicked fast at level 60. Classes that do not solo well can have more problems with this, due to less kills per hour, and what camps they can do.

loramin
06-16-2020, 08:47 PM

EDIT: NM, Loramin's dumb.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Correction: you'll have a 96% rez ... https://wiki.project1999.com/Reviviscence

Sure, if I can find a Cleric willing to give it. Otherwise I'll just have my own 90%:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Resurrection

loramin
06-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Sure, if I can find a Cleric willing to give it. Otherwise I'll just have my own 90%:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Resurrection

Oh yeah :o (I honestly forget Paladins get a 90% rez).

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 09:12 PM
Oh yeah :o (I honestly forget Paladins get a 90% rez).

Hell, people would probably be willing to pay for a 90. Most probably wouldn't complain about losing 6%.

loramin
06-16-2020, 09:15 PM
Hell, people would probably be willing to pay for a 90. Most probably wouldn't complain about losing 6%.

Oh totally: when I need a rez I'll happily take a 90% unless there's a Cleric with a 96% around!

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 10:21 PM
If I weren't grinding in Paineel right now I'd ask someone here to come kill Sir Lucan in Freeport for me so I could get a placeholder 2her: Brilliant Sword of Faith. Then I could finish the SoulFire quest.

Hell, I'd even pay for someone to do it.

elwing
06-16-2020, 11:45 PM
You are wrong on skyshrine, I actually looted two rotting coin purse... The fed'ars are frequently camped for exp and chance at wls + random crap

Pyrocat
06-17-2020, 03:41 AM
still haven't seen anyone claim to have seen or buy the 40% WR coin purse. Does it even drop?

elwing
06-17-2020, 04:19 AM
The two rot I saw were the tiny coin purse

DeathsSilkyMist
06-17-2020, 12:08 PM
You are wrong on skyshrine, I actually looted two rotting coin purse... The fed'ars are frequently camped for exp and chance at wls + random crap

Good to know. Would love to see some of these people chime in, see if they ever saw a medium coin purse drop. If it doesn't drop from them, maybe it still can from other mobs on the list?

I have never seen one myself, I just assumed they existed, since the item hasn't been corrected on the wiki. Good Skyshrine stuff tends to be rare too, so it wouldn't surprise me if most people who get one keep it for themselves and their alts, rather than sell it.