PDA

View Full Version : Is Tigeraptor armor worth the price for a Ranger?

Loadsamoney
06-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Looking to gear another Ranger in the future, the choice is between buying for an 8-piece showing set of Tigeraptor armor (helm, chest, gloves, legs, boots, arms, and one bracer), or just saving the money and questing for a full set of Ivy Etched (one bracer with a Hero's Bracer as the second).

Though the stats on Tigeraptor seem nice, as does the weight, the raw AC on it seems a bit low for a Ranger set (not unexpected for Leather, but still). Ivy Etched has much better AC and would cost significantly less to quest out, albeit would take a bit of time and running around. I'd likely have my JBoots by then, so my Paladin could probably tough it out.

There are no good Cultural armor sets for a Ranger it seems, so these are my two realistic choices (if I want to use a Ranger's only set, at least).

gherron
06-10-2020, 09:17 PM
My first time seriously playing a ranger is on green so understand that I might be way off . I plan on getting tiger-raptor armor simply for the sake of it/collecting. I think it's better to just get ivy etched and save your money for better pieces.

One thing I do imagine is that since rangers will probably be using panic animal to solo, you don't need to stack as much AC. Stats like str/dex/wis might be more valuable in that scenario.

loramin
06-10-2020, 09:51 PM
I'd likely have my JBoots by then

Wait ... not to derail, but ... why bother with JBoots on a Ranger? You get SoW.

CheopisIV
06-10-2020, 10:51 PM
... I'd likely have my JBoots by then, so my Paladin could probably tough it out. ...

;)

Loadsamoney
06-11-2020, 12:42 AM
Wait ... not to derail, but ... why bother with JBoots on a Ranger? You get SoW.

I'll likely have my JBoots on my Paladin by then, so I can tough out all the running around required for Ivy Etched.

I'm just trying to figure out if the stats on Tigeraptor justify its cost (and its lack of AC).

loramin
06-11-2020, 01:14 AM
I'll likely have my JBoots on my Paladin by then, so I can tough out all the running around required for Ivy Etched.

I'm just trying to figure out if the stats on Tigeraptor justify its cost (and its lack of AC).

That makes significantly more sense :)

Loadsamoney
06-11-2020, 02:29 PM
That makes significantly more sense :)

Yeah, my gut is telling me Tigeraptor isn't worth the price for a Ranger. Black Pantherskin is excellent for a Monk, but a Ranger really wants more AC than what Tigeraptor offers, stats be damned.

I think I'll save the money and just quest for a set of Ivy Etched, and maybe Lambent as well for later.

Lartanin63
06-11-2020, 02:41 PM
I mean what's the reasoning on your wanting full suits? Apart from the arm and bp peices on ivy I wouldn't even consider wearing any of it on blue. With the money you are looking to spend on a set of tiger raptor, you could buy all kinds of decent peices. Hell crystal chitin armor would be better off if it's fashion based, more ac than ivy as well. Some of the tiger raptor peices are good tho, bp-boots-cloak. The stats on those are really hard to beat, and the AC doesn't even seem like a huge factor if you aren't tanking. Just my thought on the whole thing.

Loadsamoney
06-11-2020, 03:21 PM
I mean what's the reasoning on your wanting full suits? Apart from the arm and bp peices on ivy I wouldn't even consider wearing any of it on blue. With the money you are looking to spend on a set of tiger raptor, you could buy all kinds of decent peices. Hell crystal chitin armor would be better off if it's fashion based, more ac than ivy as well. Some of the tiger raptor peices are good tho, bp-boots-cloak. The stats on those are really hard to beat, and the AC doesn't even seem like a huge factor if you aren't tanking. Just my thought on the whole thing.

For fashion and roleplaying, mostly. If I'm going to wear a class-specific armor, I want the full set just to make it feel complete. I.E full Ivy Etched for a Ranger, full Armor of Ro for a Paladin, full Lambent for a Bard, etc. Same thing applies with raid armor, full Valorium, full Thorny Vine, etc.

I don't like mixing and match a silly mishmash of items unless they're just filler slots with no graphical influence, like shoulders, neck, waist, etc.

Ideally, when I eventually start my Ranger again, it'll have the following items, give or take:

Full Ivy Etched Armor (2 Bracers)
Obulus Death Shroud
Crystal Spider Eyes
Sash of the Dragonborn
Dire Wolf-Hide Cloak
Chipped Velium Amulet
Orc Fang Earring x2
Velium Fire Wedding Ring x2
Lamentation x2
Rain Caller

I don't know if that would be considered "twinked" but it should see me through to 60 at least.

Jimjam
06-11-2020, 03:35 PM
(visible slot, single bracer)
Ivy etched | Tigeraptor
AC 83 | 63
Str 7 | 28
Hp 30 | 15
Weight 26.1 | 14.6

I'm a massive fan of AC so if I had to pick one set it would be Ivy Etched, especially as that is the quintessential ranger armour for me (my ranger wore it for a long time).

BUT the str-weight of the tigeraptor is really tempting. Unlike ivy etched it actually increases your loot capacity (i.e. it works towards making it's cost back!)

Fashionwise I think Ivy Etched better advertises your class, and you seem to strongly weight fashion decisions so it may be worth doing that. IMHO Tigeraptor is a thing for bored 60s that already maxed tailoring might decide farm for an alt / to pass the time.

May I suggest an alternate armour?

http://wiki.project1999.com/Ry%60Gorr_Chain_Armor

A single bracer visible set gives 76 AC, 15 str and 25 hp (note the set lacks boots), only weighting 16.7, making it a decent compromise between the armours you are already considering. It also shares a graphic (though not necessarily tint), with kael and thurg quest armour, means you can plan a cohesive appearance for your characters progression.

Kirdan
06-11-2020, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't touch tigeraptor armor personally, but if you like the fashion then go for it.

Loadsamoney
06-11-2020, 03:57 PM
It's partially because of fashion that I'm torn between a Human Ranger and a Wood Elf Ranger this time around. I was a Wood Elf last time, and from what I can see the Human Ranger seemingly has the best spread of stats for the job, with more Strength and Stamina. A bit less Agility, but that stat really doesn't do much above 75 anyway. The lack of night sight is made up for with a spell later on too (and there's always Greater Lightstone).

Wood Elf armor looks cooler though, not just with the tree emblem on their chest, but Wood Elf plate helmets look sweet in general. Human plate helmets are dumb looking, like an inverted trash can more or less. Human Chain doesn't look awful, which is mostly what a Ranger wears, not as good as Wood Elf Chain, but I'm still leaning more towards Human this time (with all 20 bonus points going into Stamina), especially since I get the eyepatch with it.

Why hasn't Hide Helmet been enabled yet?

Kirdan
06-11-2020, 07:20 PM
Oh, my friend, I think you are wrong about the helms. When you get a Helm of the Tracker in Velious, I suspect that you will prefer human fashion.

Loadsamoney
06-11-2020, 10:10 PM
Oh, my friend, I think you are wrong about the helms. When you get a Helm of the Tracker in Velious, I suspect that you will prefer human fashion.

It's not winged like this is it?

https://wiki.project1999.com/Golden_Leaf_Armor

That doesn't look too good either, IMO.

But maybe I'll find a good Ranger helm with no graphic.

Snaggles
06-11-2020, 11:50 PM
How to gear a ranger:
1.) look cool
2.) be able to max str from self buffs. Have other stat gear for when a shaman is avail.
3.) Try to maintain respectable hps/svs (especially Sv magic)
4.) Try to maintain respectable AC
5.) Pack resist gear for raids plus some swappable junk
6.) top tier quest and drop gear has all of that. Aim for the stars.

I’ve personally yet to hit #6 on p99. Anything that has a surplus of strength (even at a lack of hps) I usually wear. That lets me have some no-str slots (earring of essence, imbued granite spaulders, Etc).

But yea, looking cool is a serious goal. Weapons, haste, attk power (str) and some general play skill are most important. Unless you’re pulling for raids, that’s a different situation.

Loadsamoney
06-12-2020, 12:21 AM
Just to get more clarification, how much of a difference does going above 75 Agility make in terms of AC, mitigation and avoidance? Agility is a primary stat for Rangers, and Wood Elves have significantly more than Humans (not to mention more total stat points, 565 vs the 555 that Humans/Half Elves have).

How much of a difference will having 105 Agility make over having the 85 that Humans get, or being above 75 in general? Are the returns you get for higher Agility worth raising it?

Kirdan
06-12-2020, 12:32 AM
It's not winged like this is it?

That doesn't look too good either, IMO.

But maybe I'll find a good Ranger helm with no graphic.

Well, maybe I misunderstood, but you said you prefer the look of wood elf helms, and when you get a Helm of the Tracker (https://wiki.project1999.com/Helm_of_the_Tracker) it will use the custom velious graphic. The dragon helm you see on that picture of Golden Leaf Armor is indeed what a Helm of the Tracker looks like on a human ranger. I am assuming you would go Tunare as a human, if you would go Karana then you won't have such easy access to a custom velious helm graphic so maybe that's not important to you.

You can see all the velious armor here (https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Fashion#Velious_Armor_Sets_by_Race). I think the male wood elf custom helm looks terrible, but the female version looks good. However I think the human one is the best. To each their own. And there are many good helms with no graphic as well, most crowns/circlets are like that. In fact, the Golden Leaf Helm on that page you link has no graphic, it's just the the picture doesn't show the Golden Leaf Helm.

Kirdan
06-12-2020, 12:34 AM
Just to get more clarification, how much of a difference does going above 75 Agility make in terms of AC, mitigation and avoidance? Agility is a primary stat for Rangers, and Wood Elves have significantly more than Humans (not to mention more total stat points, 565 vs the 555 that Humans/Half Elves have).

How much of a difference will having 105 Agility make over having the 85 that Humans get, or being above 75 in general? Are the returns you get for higher Agility worth raising it?

AGI is not a primary stat of rangers (or anyone). As a ranger you want STR/STA/DEX/WIS.

Loadsamoney
06-12-2020, 01:00 AM
AGI is not a primary stat of rangers (or anyone). As a ranger you want STR/STA/DEX/WIS.

I mean it's a Primary in the sense that it's Green on the character creation page.

If Golden leaf, Runed Scout and Forest Stalker have no graphic for the helmet, then I'm more inclined to go Human for that smexy eyepatch. Especially if more starting Str/Sta beats more starting Agi. Dex is whatever, not gonna spend starting points on that.

I just typically don't like playing Human for any class because I'm a human every day in real life, so why would I want to play one in a fantasy game?

loramin
06-12-2020, 12:16 PM
I mean it's a Primary in the sense that it's Green on the character creation page.

Yeah ... Verant didn't understand their own game :) Don't trust the green numbers, trust your class's wiki page.

I just typically don't like playing Human for any class because I'm a human every day in real life, so why would I want to play one in a fantasy game?

I feel you there. My only human character is a Monk, and that's only because I already have an Iksar and am trying to make one character of each race/clas. Also I made my half-elf my EC mule character, because half-elves are almost as bad as Humans ;)

Loadsamoney
06-12-2020, 12:56 PM
Iksar Necromancer
Iksar Monk
Barbarian Shaman
Barbarian Rogue
Dark Elf Wizard
Gnome Magician
Erudite Enchanter
High Elf Cleric
Half Elf Bard
Ogre Warrior
Troll Shadowknight
Dwarf Paladin
Halfling Druid
Wood Elf Ranger

In this case though, even though the Wood Elf Ranger has 10 more stat points overall than a Human/Half Elf Ranger, the Human Rangers stat spread seems to fit the class just a bit better. So it's a tough decision.

If I were Human, I'd go all Stamina, bringing it to 105, and if I were Wood Elf like last time, I'd put 5 into Strength and 15 into Stamina, bringing them to 75 and 90 respectively.

I honestly think I'd still prefer to go Wood Elf not just for the overall higher total stats, but also because it'll have (very marginally) the best mana pool, access to two different armor sizes, and having higher Agility, according to the way it works, means more enemy hits will miss, which probably isn't a bad thing for a class that's largely melee based and expected to do some tanking at times. And Wood Elf just fits the class lore better, IMO.

And no, I'd never play Ogre as a Shadowknight, one because I'd prefer a race that has innate regen to shorten their downtime since they lack the heals that other Hybrids have, and two because I don't feel like Ogres are a truly "evil" race, more that they're just big, stupid, and feared by others out of misunderstanding. They're certainly not on the level of malevolent as Dark Elves or Trolls. Trolls are evil incarnate.

Kirdan
06-12-2020, 01:10 PM
Iksar Necromancer
Iksar Monk
Barbarian Shaman
Barbarian Rogue
Dark Elf Wizard
Gnome Magician
Erudite Enchanter
High Elf Cleric
Half Elf Bard
Ogre Warrior
Troll Shadowknight
Dwarf Paladin
Halfling Druid
Wood Elf Ranger

I can only get behind like 2 of those lol. To each their own, this is why fashion is the true endgame in EQ.

loramin
06-12-2020, 01:50 PM
In this case though, even though the Wood Elf Ranger has 10 more stat points overall than a Human/Half Elf Ranger, the Human Rangers stat spread seems to fit the class just a bit better. So it's a tough decision.

If I were Human, I'd go all Stamina, bringing it to 105, and if I were Wood Elf like last time, I'd put 5 into Strength and 15 into Stamina, bringing them to 75 and 90 respectively.

I honestly think I'd still prefer to go Wood Elf not just for the overall higher total stats, but also because it'll have (very marginally) the best mana pool, access to two different armor sizes, and having higher Agility, according to the way it works, means more enemy hits will miss, which probably isn't a bad thing for a class that's largely melee based and expected to do some tanking at times. And Wood Elf just fits the class lore better, IMO.

Look, usually I make this argument with regards to gear, but it applies just as much to starting stats by race: STATS (almost) DON'T MATTER.

If you're a soloer, your soloing efficiency is almost completely unaffected by your stats, because your rate of XP is based on regeneration rates, not maximums. The only exception is with certain specific types of soloing (eg. to quad you need a "minimum max mana" ... but above that amount stats are again meaningless).

If you're in a group then technically stats do matter (eg. a Warrior with 10 more strength will do slightly more damage, and thus will increase the group's overall kill speed by a tiny amount) ... but you will never, as a human being, ever notice the difference. Don't believe me? I challenge you to play a non-melee in a group and determine whether your melee party members have ten more or less Strength ;)

Fashion, gear restrictions, and racial abilities: those all really matter. Starting stats? Not much.

And no, I'd never play Ogre as a Shadowknight, one because I'd prefer a race that has innate regen to shorten their downtime since they lack the heals that other Hybrids have, and two because I don't feel like Ogres are a truly "evil" race, more that they're just big, stupid, and feared by others out of misunderstanding. They're certainly not on the level of malevolent as Dark Elves or Trolls. Trolls are evil incarnate.

They eat other races! Isn't there like a dwarf on a spit in Oggok or something? Or at least in some Ogre zone?

Loadsamoney
06-12-2020, 02:11 PM
That's wrong though! They don't give that much benefit until you reach the higher levels, sure, but to say that it makes almost no difference whatesoeverin combat parsing, overall kill speed and downtime between kills is an outright lie.

That's why my preferred Ranger weapons are two Lamentations. The ratio is not only decent at 9/19, but it has +6 Str/Sta and +20 HP. That's more important to me than the 9/19 ratio. If I had to choose between a 9/19 Lamentation with 6/6/20 Str/Sta/HP and a 14/24 Guardian's Mace with no stats, I'm taking the Lamentation, especially once bonus damage starts coming into play.

kaev
06-12-2020, 04:25 PM
If you're a soloer, your soloing efficiency is almost completely unaffected by your stats, because your rate of XP is based on regeneration rates, not maximums. The only exception is with certain specific types of soloing (eg. to quad you need a "minimum max mana" ... but above that amount stats are again meaningless).

If your soloer is using weapons to kill things this is simply false. STR affects damage per hit of any weapon (including bows on p99). Dex affects crit frequency for Warriors (admittedly soloing a warrior sucks, especially now that rootnets are nigh useless) and bow crit frequency for Rangers. Your other stats won't affect solo combat meaningfully (well, AGI has a tiny effect on defense in melee), but STR & DEX matter because they affect avg dmg per attack.

loramin
06-12-2020, 04:54 PM
That's wrong though! They don't give that much benefit until you reach the higher levels, sure, but to say that it makes almost no difference whatesoeverin combat parsing, overall kill speed and downtime between kills is an outright lie.

That's why my preferred Ranger weapons are two Lamentations. The ratio is not only decent at 9/19, but it has +6 Str/Sta and +20 HP. That's more important to me than the 9/19 ratio. If I had to choose between a 9/19 Lamentation with 6/6/20 Str/Sta/HP and a 14/24 Guardian's Mace with no stats, I'm taking the Lamentation, especially once bonus damage starts coming into play.

If your soloer is using weapons to kill things this is simply false. STR affects damage per hit of any weapon (including bows on p99). Dex affects crit frequency for Warriors (admittedly soloing a warrior sucks, especially now that rootnets are nigh useless) and bow crit frequency for Rangers. Your other stats won't affect solo combat meaningfully (well, AGI has a tiny effect on defense in melee), but STR & DEX matter because they affect avg dmg per attack.

To be clear: I'm not saying gear doesn't matter! I'm also not disputing that STR and DEX matter ... in the sense that they add to the damage calculations, and thus matter for your overall XP rate.

What I'm saying is ... does the difference a haste item makes matter in the sense that you will notice it? 100% yes! Heck your fellow group members may even notice the difference between an FBSS and no FBSS.

Does the difference between a crappy weapon and just a decent (not even an especially good) weapon matter? Yes! If there's any significant change in ratio compared to your old weapon, you'll likely notice it.

But if you get those cool new shoulder pads with +3 Dex or Str more than your old ones, will you, the human player ever notice it? I know the calculations in the computer will change, but will it matter in a way you can actually detect? Will you perceive yourself or your group killing faster in any way?

I submit no. Now starting stats can have more dramatic number differences, and they matter for the life of your character (or at least until you hit caps), so they matter more than those shoulderpads ... but still the core principle is the same. You won't really care in the long run if your melee character starts with 15 more strength or whatever, but if you pick a race you (say) hate looking at, or hate looking through (because of poor eyesight) ... basically if you put stats over anything that "really matters", I think you'll regret it.

I say base your racial decision on stats ... if you've narrowed your choices down based on everything else, and now you're trying to pick between your favorites :)

Loadsamoney
06-12-2020, 08:21 PM
You've technically already narrowed it down for me. Humans have no racials at all. Wood Elves get Infravision, Hide and Forage, all minor since all Rangers learn these at some point in their lives (though having them earlier is nifty I suppose, saves time on skilling up as well), but can also wear small and medium armor, which is more significant as it opens up their equipment options quite a bit.

Wood Elf it is. No smelly racist Humans for me.

loramin
06-12-2020, 09:02 PM
You've technically already narrowed it down for me. Humans have no racials at all. Wood Elves get Infravision, Hide and Forage, all minor since all Rangers learn these at some point in their lives (though having them earlier is nifty I suppose, saves time on skilling up as well), but can also wear small and medium armor, which is more significant as it opens up their equipment options quite a bit.

:)

To be fair, despite their lack of abilities or night sight, if you were into the Human look I'd 100% say go Human ... but it sounds like Wood Elf is the correct choice here.

kaev
06-13-2020, 09:32 AM

Human can start with 100str base. NBD on blue, but helpful on green.

Sicc
06-13-2020, 12:30 PM
I did this on my ranger. In mid 30s now, no regrets. Full set of Tigeraptor except face (crafted) and belt (fbss).

I have upgraded to cocw so unfortunately not wearing that really nice cloak, and have tbb on waist. Will faction for Velious chain later.

Non issue soloing with snare fear, for pulling I slap on ikky BP to help counter chip damage, and when dpsing I usually over aggro but don't drop like a rock. Self healing will ease stress on your healers.

Went wood elf wisdom on creation. So not optimal but still effective enough.

That's cool that people are still trying to bleed a turnip but if you're considering decking out in Velious gear you're already going to smash bears and cats until the 50s. This game is easy, look good and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to fletch.

Sicc
06-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Excuse the double post but for shoulders I have ODS.

Lmk what you name your ranger, I'll come buff you for the early level grind if I see you online if you'd like.

Wallicker
06-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Ranger fashion = what makes your corpse look good and which race/sex combo you like looking at naked, after all you will be eating DT after DT and normally be dead.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 01:03 PM
I did this on my ranger. In mid 30s now, no regrets. Full set of Tigeraptor except face (crafted) and belt (fbss).

I have upgraded to cocw so unfortunately not wearing that really nice cloak, and have tbb on waist. Will faction for Velious chain later.

Non issue soloing with snare fear, for pulling I slap on ikky BP to help counter chip damage, and when dpsing I usually over aggro but don't drop like a rock. Self healing will ease stress on your healers.

Went wood elf wisdom on creation. So not optimal but still effective enough.

That's cool that people are still trying to bleed a turnip but if you're considering decking out in Velious gear you're already going to smash bears and cats until the 50s. This game is easy, look good and enjoy yourself. Don't forget to fletch.

Actually, I don't fear-kite animals as a Ranger, just like I don't swarm kite as a Bard. I go where the money is. That means Nybright Sisters to Paineel Guards to High Keep Guards to Geodes, etc.

loramin
06-13-2020, 01:47 PM
I go where the money is.

Name checks out ;)

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 02:08 PM
Name checks out ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULeDlxa3gyc

Sicc
06-13-2020, 02:51 PM
Actually, I don't fear-kite animals as a Ranger, just like I don't swarm kite as a Bard. I go where the money is. That means Nybright Sisters to Paineel Guards to High Keep Guards to Geodes, etc.

I understand. The last things I face tanked were ww brutes from mid 20s to 31 I believe. Instant engage, zero downtime, all of them down. Although with the regen on bp, haste, and decent weapons might skew my results, my ranger wasn't even really getting crushed. Not sure if that helps.

I've never taken the leveling path you laid out, but if face tanking plus root/dot/heal etc I don't think I would suggest the leather set, however I'm only guessing.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Safe journeys.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 03:32 PM
I understand. The last things I face tanked were ww brutes from mid 20s to 31 I believe. Instant engage, zero downtime, all of them down. Although with the regen on bp, haste, and decent weapons might skew my results, my ranger wasn't even really getting crushed. Not sure if that helps.

I've never taken the leveling path you laid out, but if face tanking plus root/dot/heal etc I don't think I would suggest the leather set, however I'm only guessing.

Sorry if that doesn't help. Safe journeys.

No, I'm definitely going for Ivy Etched for the AC and the chain fashion. I just need to raise about 10k to afford the remaining items, the Sash of the Dragonborn, the Crystal Spider Eyes, the Obulus Death Shroud, Rain Caller, another Dire Wolf-Hide Cloak, and another pair of Orc Fang Earrings and 65HP Rings. I have two Lamentations put away already.

Making around 400pp per level on my 21 Pally right now, killing Paineel Guards. So I should have everything by the time I can start reasonably doing all the Ivy Etched quests.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 04:07 PM
I do kind of wonder though if a two-hander would be better for soloing as a Ranger. Dual-wielding will have a lot less variance and more consistency with overall DPS (and more procs with Call of Sky), but I'm wondering if enemy riposting will be a bigger concern with dual-wielding.

I'm weighing my options for a two-hander that isn't Woodsman's Staff. Jade Inlaid Crescent Axe seems like a good deal with its nice 0.80 ratio, good stats, and I could pass it on to a Shadowknight or a Warrior later.

loramin
06-13-2020, 04:17 PM
I do kind of wonder though if a two-hander would be better for soloing as a Ranger. Dual-wielding will have a lot less variance and more consistency with overall DPS (and more procs with Call of Sky), but I'm wondering if enemy riposting will be a bigger concern with dual-wielding.

I'm weighing my options for a two-hander that isn't Woodsman's Staff. Jade Inlaid Crescent Axe seems like a good deal with its nice 0.80 ratio, good stats, and I could pass it on to a Shadowknight or a Warrior later.

FWIW my Ranger basically did 1-46 (his current level) with Woodsman's. Obviously you just said that's not an option, but I'm just saying that you absolutely can level up with a two-hander.

As to whether that's the most optimal choice? That's a question for a number cruncher, not me :)

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 04:26 PM
FWIW my Ranger basically did 1-46 (his current level) with Woodsman's. Obviously you just said that's not an option, but I'm just saying that you absolutely can level up with a two-hander.

It would be more for soloing than group play, to cut down on damage from Parry Hasting (the fancy term I use for an enemy riposting you), as I would always be attacking from behind as a group Ranger when not tanking. So my dual Lammies would be peachy there.

I don't want a Woodsman's Staff because one, it has no stats on it, and two, it's Ranger only, so when I'm done using it I'll either have to resell it or just let it collect dust. If I'm going to take up a two-hander, I want it to be one I can give to another alt later, say a Troll Shadowknight.

That's why Jade Inlaid Crescent Axe (https://wiki.project1999.com/Jade_Inlaid_Crescent_Axe) looks like a nice option, and even a little less pricy to boot.

Sicc
06-13-2020, 04:47 PM
The weapons I've been alternating and parsing from level 20-33 are: Woodman's Staff vs. Fayguard Parrying Dagger mh and Lupine Dagger oh. The tree branch is like 30% more dps on blue cons iirc, it's a large difference.

Jade mace, silver swiftblade, Crystalline Short Sword in bags for skill ups but they can't compete.

I would suggest the axe level 20+ if you're determined to pass it into an alt. Dual lammy until then.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 05:22 PM
The weapons I've been alternating and parsing from level 20-33 are: Woodman's Staff vs. Fayguard Parrying Dagger mh and Lupine Dagger oh. The tree branch is like 30% more dps on blue cons iirc, it's a large difference.

Jade mace, silver swiftblade, Crystalline Short Sword in bags for skill ups but they can't compete.

I would suggest the axe level 20+ if you're determined to pass it into an alt. Dual lammy until then.

How did you get a Fayguard Parrying Dagger at such a low level? Has the proc ever caused you problems? I thought it was an AoE proc.

I wouldn't even consider using the 2-hander until enemies started riposting. I think that's either 25 or 30?

Sicc
06-13-2020, 05:52 PM
I'm no melee master but I think the lift of the damage cap at level 20 is when the 2 handers really take off. And then at some higher level is when adding the bonus damage to a faster swinging 1 hander overcomes that. Too much crunching for me so I just watch the parse. Again, I'm not trying to bleed a turnip.

As far as howling stones, easiest way is to get double invis and make sure no goos are in the path to north boss room and just farm boss until it drops. I didn't find someone to invis me so I made levi, ivu, and fob gate pots on my shaman, and dropped candle key for ranger.

Cleared to north safe spot with necro, ran ranger in, cleared hallway, moved ranger to north boss door and left him there at level 20 for a while.

Then whenever I felt like leveling my necro (I alternate between alts, don't really have a main), I'd be sure to check boss room for dagger and when I saw it I yoinked it and swapped for the loot then teleport pot out then started playing my ranger again. It's not procing at level 33 so non issue atm.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 06:10 PM
I'm no melee master but I think the lift of the damage cap at level 20 is when the 2 handers really take off. And then at some higher level is when adding the bonus damage to a faster swinging 1 hander overcomes that. Too much crunching for me so I just watch the parse. Again, I'm not trying to bleed a turnip.

As far as howling stones, easiest way is to get double invis and make sure no goos are in the path to north boss room and just farm boss until it drops. I didn't find someone to invis me so I made levi, ivu, and fob gate pots on my shaman, and dropped candle key for ranger.

Cleared to north safe spot with necro, ran ranger in, cleared hallway, moved ranger to north boss door and left him there at level 20 for a while.

Then whenever I felt like leveling my necro (I alternate between alts, don't really have a main), I'd be sure to check boss room for dagger and when I saw it I yoinked it and swapped for the loot then teleport pot out then started playing my ranger again. It's not procing at level 33 so non issue atm.

I'll just check on the bonus damage numbers then and do some crunching myself. That's kinda what I should be doing rather than relying on others for knowledge, and I apologize if that is annoying to anyone, but I'm very much a student of the game and trying to learn.

Anyway Lamentation (https://wiki.project1999.com/Lamentation) is a fine Ranger 1her, IMO. Should make a decent placeholder until Epics.

Sicc
06-13-2020, 07:07 PM
I just saw you mention the weapons thing and wanted to share my experience where 2h takes it away at level 20. These same questions have been asked for 20 years and I still don't have the answers. I'm way more of a caster type but I'm gonna play every class in this great game. Wish I had more to share, you're not annoying imo.

Anyways back to the op, if you're not gonna face tank, I will vouch for the tigeraptor for the reasons mentioned earlier in the thread: good str, light weight, fashion.

Snaggles summed it nicely as well on page 2. Fashion is rule 1. Don't forget a gem refresher.

Have fun and embrace death.

Kirdan
06-13-2020, 09:39 PM
I definitely recommend using a 2h at lower levels. Your DW skill won't be high enough to make up for the better ratios on 2h weapons until you're higher. I was going to suggest something cheap like BABS, but you've already got your sights on better.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 09:47 PM
I definitely recommend using a 2h at lower levels. Your DW skill won't be high enough to make up for the better ratios on 2h weapons until you're higher. I was going to suggest something cheap like BABS, but you've already got your sights on better.

Does the offhand get bonus damage as well, or main hand only?

Kirdan
06-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Damage bonus is only for main hand.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 09:49 PM
Damage bonus is only for main hand.

So I guess that means, if I get two different weapons, say a Sarnak Backstabber and a Jagged Blade of Mourning, then the faster one should go in the main hand and the harder hitting one in the offhand?

(if I chose to replace my Lammies, of course)

Kirdan
06-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Yes you usually want the faster weapon main hand, unless the slower weapon has a significant ratio advantage.

For off hand, ratio is all that really matters. It doesn't matter how hard it hits or how fast it swings, ratio is king.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 09:59 PM
Yes you usually want the faster weapon main hand, unless the slower weapon has a significant ratio advantage.

For off hand, ratio is all that really matters. It doesn't matter how hard it hits or how fast it swings, ratio is king.

So Earthcaller (0.583) should probably be in the main hand (especially for its proc), and Swiftwind (0.619) in the off hand.

Kirdan
06-13-2020, 10:00 PM
Well, you don't get to choose: Earthcaller is primary only and Swiftwind is secondary only.

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 10:07 PM
Well, you don't get to choose: Earthcaller is primary only and Swiftwind is secondary only.

Heh, wow. All this time I thought Swiftwind was the one meant for the main hand.

Loadsamoney
06-14-2020, 04:02 PM
What does Tigeraptor armor look like anyway? I haven't seen a picture of it on the wiki, I assume it's just basic leather with some tinted color.

loramin
06-14-2020, 04:15 PM
What does Tigeraptor armor look like anyway? I haven't seen a picture of it on the wiki, I assume it's just basic leather with some tinted color.

The wiki shows you :)

http://wiki.project1999.com/Tigeraptor_Tunic

If you look at the Fashion/Appearance section at the bottom you can get the overall look (but with other, blue, armor). You can then click the Category:Fashion:_Burnt_Orange (http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Fashion:_Burnt_Orange) link to see the correct tint.

Unfortunately no one has uploaded any exact screenshots of Tigeraptor armor, so that's as close as we have.

Loadsamoney
06-14-2020, 04:40 PM
The wiki shows you :)

http://wiki.project1999.com/Tigeraptor_Tunic

If you look at the Fashion/Appearance section at the bottom you can get the overall look (but with other, blue, armor). You can then click the Category:Fashion:_Burnt_Orange (http://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Fashion:_Burnt_Orange) link to see the correct tint.

Unfortunately no one has uploaded any exact screenshots of Tigeraptor armor, so that's as close as we have.

Eww...not sure about burnt orange. I like the dark blue that Black Pantherskin has.

The only consideration I have for the Tigeraptor set is if I buy the entire 13-piece set with two bracers. I'd use everything except the belt, replaced with Sash of the Dragonborn, until I eventually get my Epic, and swap the belt back in. But by then I'd probably have Thurgadin armor anyway.

Snaggles
06-14-2020, 09:27 PM
If I recall the BP is orange as is the boots. Not sure on bracers or Helm. Legs and arms are black velious leather.

The set looks really good. Main problem is it doesn’t give you much ac or hps, just a splatter of random melee skills. Agility and dex? Thanks a lot...

Really though it’s midrange stuff. By the time you have a Swiftwind you will be likely past it. Dragon armor, thurg quest, etc. But the time you have an Earthcaller (I mean, if since they are like 200k) you will be far past it.

You could get to 60 in banded with good weapons and haste. The only Bp that matters unless your picking from NTOV or have a set of SS/Kael quest armor is a fungi. With chloro and Skin like Nature that’s 27hps/tick extra standing regen. Arguably a fungi is still better for most things than quested Velious armor but it looks marginal to stupid depending on race (green trees on a wood elf, lol).

Note: the only dark blue is on a half elf. Crystal chitin armor has the default velious plate look. Dark Scale greaves and arms are dark green/gunmetal classic plate. A full set of Paineel Steel is stat-less but is classic grey plate. Not a bad route if you have decent weapons, haste, and stats in the non-visible areas. Again, looking cool is the ranger prime objective.

Kirdan
06-14-2020, 11:13 PM
I mean, tigeraptors are orange, what did you expect lol

How much are you expecting to spend here? Is thurg armor that much more expensive? Tigeraptor looks (statwise) like druid armor to me, I'd never wear it on my ranger.

Loadsamoney
06-14-2020, 11:22 PM
I'll farm Thurg armor myself, so likely it won't cost much, unless I can't farm the gems solo.

Does Venril Sathirs Pulsing Stone really cost 200k still?

Kirdan
06-14-2020, 11:44 PM
I don't follow blue MQ prices, but I'm quite certain the most expensive part of the ranger epic is Shattered Emerald of Corruption from Plane of Hate.

Snaggles
06-15-2020, 12:04 AM
Yea dude. Wrong rocks...VSR daily respawn vs a mini in hate.
I’d spend a bit more time on the wiki. Get the levels and worry about the gear later.

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 12:06 AM
Well, if Earthcaller MQ is 200k, how much is Swiftwind MQ?

Says Shattered Emerald is roughly 40-70k on Blue these days.

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 02:02 AM
Well, if Earthcaller MQ is 200k, how much is Swiftwind MQ?

Says Shattered Emerald is roughly 40-70k on Blue these days.

Yeah, Shattered Emerald is 40-70k and Pulsing Green Stone is roughly 20k, so the MQ for the entire Ranger Epic sounds like it'd be around 100k or so, which isn't unreasonable, especially considering the kind of money I'm making just leveling in Paineel.

What do you guys recommend for a bow? I was considering Rain Caller at first, but Talisen, Bow of the Trailblazer looks really nice too. I'm not seeing a lot of bow options in EC trade though.

Jimjam
06-15-2020, 05:35 AM
I think you can get bow of the huntsman through kite/quest (sneak hand in if not factioned) or spectral bow on rot from people doing hunter/forager in trakanon’s teeth (if you are brave you can help out on track).

Snaggles
06-15-2020, 09:45 AM
Yeah, Shattered Emerald is 40-70k and Pulsing Green Stone is roughly 20k, so the MQ for the entire Ranger Epic sounds like it'd be around 100k or so, which isn't unreasonable, especially considering the kind of money I'm making just leveling in Paineel.

I’m sure your right. I was turned down for 120k A few months ago and this was posted on Blue Trading Discord. Times have changed tho.

Sun Apr 12 13:34:50 2020] Boadley auctions, 'WTS Shattered Emerald of Corruption MQ 200k'

Just buy any velium now.

Jimjam
06-15-2020, 11:55 AM
I’ve done a not insignificant amount of hate across the years and seen, I think, 3 stones drop.

There are more people with a ranger alt and a mountain of plat hitting 50 than there are stones entering the market. Sellers can charge almost anything they want for the earthcaller. It’s the perfect item for a vanity twink, and consider myself very lucky to have been given one by AG at lvl 59.

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 12:11 PM
I wanted Rain Caller or Talisen, Bow of the Trailblazer simply because they have stats on them. Until I can afford a Tolan's Darkwood Bracer, I wouldn't be using a bow for just DPS, so maybe I'll just stick with Idol of the Thorned for the time being.

Speaking of which, does the 20% Bow Haste on Fleeting Quiver stack with other sources, like Sash of the Dragonborn?

I'm possibly interested in a suit of Truesilver Mail (https://wiki.project1999.com/Truesilver_Mail) to bury the armor issue, as though it has no stats, it's light, has good AC, is inexpensive and can be passed to my Bard, or even a Warrior or Shadowknight later. But I need someone to confirm for me that it actually uses the Plate graphic when equipped and not the Mail graphic (someone hinted that it looks like Mail despite showing as Plate on the equipment sheet), as the wiki says it's a Plate set, one that Iksar's can use.

loramin
06-15-2020, 12:46 PM
I wanted Rain Caller or Talisen, Bow of the Trailblazer simply because they have stats on them. Until I can afford a Tolan's Darkwood Bracer, I wouldn't be using a bow for just DPS, so maybe I'll just stick with Idol of the Thorned for the time being.

Speaking of which, does the 20% Bow Haste on Fleeting Quiver stack with other sources, like Sash of the Dragonborn?

I'm possibly interested in a suit of Truesilver Mail (https://wiki.project1999.com/Truesilver_Mail) to bury the armor issue, as though it has no stats, it's light, has good AC, is inexpensive and can be passed to my Bard, or even a Warrior or Shadowknight later. But I need someone to confirm for me that it actually uses the Plate graphic when equipped and not the Mail graphic (someone hinted that it looks like Mail despite showing as Plate on the equipment sheet), as the wiki says it's a Plate set, one that Iksar's can use.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Truesilver_Mail_Shirt answers your question :)

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 12:49 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Truesilver_Mail_Shirt answers your question :)

Bah, it's mail then. No thanks.

Weird that it has the plate graphic when it's in your inventory, but isn't actually plate.

loramin
06-15-2020, 01:54 PM
Bah, it's mail then. No thanks.

Weird that it has the plate graphic when it's in your inventory, but isn't actually plate.

Yeah, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be perfect correlation between icons and fashion.

All those wiki fashion categories couldn't be inferred from the icon, I had to "steal" the data from Lucy (the Allakhazam database, which must have parsed .dat files or something).

Jimjam
06-15-2020, 02:01 PM
It is ‘kunark chain’ which means it shows up as plate on iksar (and i think on hats on luclin non iksar models - irrelevant to p99) but just chain on all the other races. It’s a nice set but would take forever to get a suit.

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 03:02 PM
It is ‘kunark chain’ which means it shows up as plate on iksar (and i think on hats on luclin non iksar models - irrelevant to p99) but just chain on all the other races. It’s a nice set but would take forever to get a suit.

I was going to buy it as a full suit if anything, maybe for 1kpp or so. But not if it has a chain look. I don't mind that on a Ranger, but on a Bard, Warrior or SK I'm gonna want a Plate look.

I actually had the crazy idea to go the dirt cheap route and just get a full set of Burynai Hide Armor for my ranger, and just use that to 40 or 50 if it were able to get me there.

Lamentation x2
Idol of the Thorned
Velium Fire Wedding Ring x2
Orc Fang Earring x2
Sash of the Dragonborn

The other 12 pieces would just be full Burynai Hide set. I doubt it would get me very far, but it was just a dumb thought.

loramin
06-15-2020, 03:12 PM
I actually had the crazy idea to go the dirt cheap route and just get a full set of Burynai Hide Armor for my ranger, and just use that to 40 or 50 if it were able to get me there.

As someone who twinked their Ranger with a Fungi, I'd be a hypocrite to say gear doesn't matter at all, but ... I strongly suspect that you will be way better off XPing in a cheap suit of armor you can afford now, than spending even an hour farming plat for better armor. Especially in a group, stats don't matter much.

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 03:18 PM
As someone who twinked their Ranger with a Fungi, I'd be a hypocrite to say gear doesn't matter at all, but ... I strongly suspect that you will be way better off XPing in a cheap suit of armor you can afford now, than spending even an hour farming plat for better armor. Especially in a group, stats don't matter much.

Well, I like pre-planning and theorycrafting in general, but I'm not planning to make this Ranger until my Paladin is at least Level 49. And he's 27 at the moment.

Jimjam
06-15-2020, 06:28 PM
Did you get a chance to check out Ry gor armor? It's not long now until you could maybe form a crew for the fort or mines...

Loadsamoney
06-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Did you get a chance to check out Ry gor armor? It's not long now until you could maybe form a crew for the fort or mines...

Does it even drop in Crystal Caverns? I wasn't aware that it did.

Ideally I can see Paineel lasting until my late 30s, possibly even my 40s. And it's nearly 1kpp a level at the moment.

Jimjam
06-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Hmm maybe it is just fort, perhaps i’m misremembering it dropping from the cc orcs.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 03:21 PM
Hmm maybe it is just fort, perhaps i’m misremembering it dropping from the cc orcs.

Can someone confirm whether or not the Bow Haste on Fleeting Quiver stacks with Worn Haste on other gear, like Sash of the Dragonborn or Silver Chitin Hand Wraps?

loramin
06-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Can someone confirm whether or not the Bow Haste on Fleeting Quiver stacks with Worn Haste on other gear, like Sash of the Dragonborn or Silver Chitin Hand Wraps?

Emphasis added:

Haste affects bow delay the same way it effects melee.

But archery uses one more kind of haste, stacking with the others : quiver haste (QH). It follows the same rules than all the other kinds of haste : only the best QH is used if more than one apply. To have a QH, you just need to have a Weight Reducing quiver in your inventory.

QH = WR of the quiver / 3. Quiver haste (and their weight reduction) activate with the release of Scars of Velious expansion.

As a side note, this same info really belongs in the http://wiki.project1999.com/Haste_Guide ... if anyone feels like adding it :)

Jimjam
06-16-2020, 03:41 PM
Great find Loramin…. can quiver force haste over the cap too tho? I'm guessing no...

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Means Fleeting Quiver is a must have then. Sweet.

bricke75
06-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Helm of Tracker looks idiotic on Wood Elves.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Helm of Tracker looks idiotic on Wood Elves.

If that's what the Helm of the Tracker looks like on Humans, that's dumb as hell, IMO.

Kirdan
06-16-2020, 07:09 PM

If that's what the Helm of the Tracker looks like on Humans, that's dumb as hell, IMO.

bricke75 is correct, and I think you have terrible taste :o

Human custom helm (aka the dragon helm) is widely considered to be one of the best looking helmets in the game.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 07:28 PM
bricke75 is correct, and I think you have terrible taste :o

Human custom helm (aka the dragon helm) is widely considered to be one of the best looking helmets in the game.

I'll give it to Half Elf and Wood Elf plate helmets for that award. Dark Elf and Troll plate helmets are nice too. Even Iksar plate helmet is nice.

But someone show me what the Wood Elf custom helm looks like so I can judge for myself.

Kirdan
06-16-2020, 08:08 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/File:Fashion_velious_woodelf.jpg

The plate one shows a custom helm.

The female wood elf custom helm is decent, the male one is terrible.

Loadsamoney
06-16-2020, 08:22 PM
...okay, yeah, that is terrible. I may have to go female instead.

But I also may opt not to use Helm of the Tracker, find something else for that slot that doesn't have a helmet graphic.

What gives with the Hide Helmet option not working? I thought that was enabled in Velious...

loramin
06-16-2020, 08:46 PM
What gives with the Hide Helmet option not working? I thought that was enabled in Velious...

Find proof, post in the bug forum, get it back (on Blue at least) :)

Loadsamoney
06-20-2020, 01:56 AM
I think I'm going to reconsider the Crystal Chitin Armor Set. It's a little pricy, but I would get good mileage out of it as my Ranger would eventually pass it onto a Bard, then a Shadowknight once those classes get their Thurg armor. And until Thurgadin armor does come along, it would be an excellent placeholder for those classes. Hell, even the shield would be useful for a priest class at some poin, all three of which could use the armor as well. So I could get a LOT of long-term use out of this set.

Hopefully 5kpp or so should be enough to cover a full set. I think I can afford it now.

Loadsamoney
06-20-2020, 11:34 PM
Of course, none of it means anything unless I can find people willing to sell the items I need. >.>

That seems to be a bit more of an issue on blue these days, not as much of an economy anymore. EC still has decent activity during peak hours but it seems like it's a lot harder to shop for the items you want these days. Either people don't have them, or they're just not willing to sell them.

Cecily
06-21-2020, 12:54 AM
I was one of the first Velious GM tailors on Blue, and I never made much Tiger Raptor at all. I feel like, as a ranger, I liked maybe the cloak and I wanna say arms? I can't be bothered to look the stats, but it was overall a trash set of gear. I wouldn't waste time on it unless it's necessary for skill ups or you have a commission.

If you're the end user, get crystal chitin stuff. It's the some of the best mid-level gear for the price*

*I quit a long time ago and I'm not fully aware of the available alternatives or current market prices

Jimjam
06-21-2020, 01:54 AM
I was one of the first Velious GM tailors on Blue, and I never made much Tiger Raptor at all. I feel like, as a ranger, I liked maybe the cloak and I wanna say arms? I can't be bothered to look the stats, but it was overall a trash set of gear. I wouldn't waste time on it unless it's necessary for skill ups or you have a commission.

If you're the end user, get crystal chitin stuff. It's the some of the best mid-level gear for the price*

*I quit a long time ago and I'm not fully aware of the available alternatives or current market pricesCrystal chitin is great, I'd take it in preference to Thurg armour, generally.

Fashionwise it seems to be missing wristbands, which might be a problem for Loadsamoney?

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 02:02 AM
Crystal chitin is great, I'd take it in preference to Thurg armour, generally.

Fashionwise it seems to be missing wristbands, which might be a problem for Loadsamoney?

That's why I was going for Sentry Bracers; they seem like they provide a decent general boost all around. And they're Velious plate, if a bit tinted. Also considered Dragon Bone Bracelets, but I don't know what kind of graphic they have.

Silver Chitin Wristbands are a bit out of my price range for now, but they'd be my first pick.

Jimjam
06-21-2020, 03:47 AM
if you go on an item's wiki page, at the bottom that item's worn appearance will be listed in the 'Categories' row as something along the lines of 'Fashion: Cloth' or 'Fashion: Velious Plate 2'.

You can search for items you might like using the

Special:MultiCategorySearch (http://wiki.project1999.com/Special:MultiCategorySearch).

e.g. 'Fashion Velious Plate 2', 'Ranger Equipment' and 'Wrist' yield the following results:

Bracelet of the Deep Sea (http://wiki.project1999.com/Bracelet_of_the_Deep_Sea)
Bracer of Hammerfal (http://wiki.project1999.com/Bracer_of_Hammerfal)
Bracer of Scale (http://wiki.project1999.com/Bracer_of_Scale)

(note these search results aren't necessarily extensive as they rely on wiki users correctly tagging items with the right categories)

Out of those options the Bracer of Hammerfal doesn't have a tint and is reasonably easy to acquire.

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 03:54 AM
if you go on an item's wiki page, at the bottom that item's worn appearance will be listed in the 'Categories' row as something along the lines of 'Fashion: Cloth' or 'Fashion: Velious Plate 2'.

Ah, cool. Thank you. So Silver Chitin Wristbands are Velious Chain 1. Sentry Bracer are Velious Chain 2. Dragon Bone Bracer is Leather.

Jimjam
06-21-2020, 04:18 AM
Yea, and as a note, anything marked as velious monk will show up as cloth on non-monk characters (even if that character is a race that can be monk).

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 12:08 PM
Well, if I have the money to spare by the time my Paladin hits 50 I'll consider the Silver Chitin Wristbands, but the Sentry Bracers I could also use on a Cleric or a Shaman, so I still want those regardless.

loramin
06-21-2020, 12:31 PM
(note these search results aren't necessarily extensive as they rely on wiki users correctly tagging items with the right categories)

Just a quick note about this. This is always true, because the wiki does have some hand-entered items.

However, for 99+% of the items in the wiki, the way they got there was through an automated process. Ravhin wrote a "scraper" which took all the details from Allakhazam originally, and that's how we got all the basic details. Then, much later on, I wrote a script to add all the fashion categories (again, using data from Lucy, Allakhazam's database).

So while the wiki is never 100% accurate ... when it comes to items and their fashion categories, both are very close to 99.9% accurate ... or at least as accurate as Allakhazam itself is.

Danth
06-21-2020, 12:36 PM

Understand what the green numbers on character creation indicate: Every character has its base racial statistics plus receives 50 additional points for allocation. Some of that 50--exactly how many varies by class--will be allocated automatically by the game and cannot be changed by the players. That is what the green numbers are for, they indicate where the game raised some attributes above racial default. Automatically-allocated stats may be important to the character and usually are, but in some cases exist more for roleplay or flavor reasons. Rogue (which has an automatic focus on DEX/AGI) is a notorious example of the latter.

For example, from Paladin's 50 bonus points, 10 are automatically placed into each of Strength and Charisma, and 5 each into Stamina and Wisdom. The remaining 20 are the player's points to allocate as he sees fit. A Cleric automatically has 5 each in Strength and Stamina, 10 in Wisdom, and the remaining 30 are available for a player to place where he likes. I forget a Ranger's automatic allocation off the top of my head, but it works the same way as any other class.

Danth

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 12:41 PM
So what are you saying, the Humans starting stat spread is better overall for a Ranger and the Wood Elf's higher Agility is more or less wasted points?

I'm still considering Human anyway just so I can get the eyepatch.

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/HeroBracers.png

I wish Barbarians could be Rangers.

Kirdan
06-21-2020, 12:55 PM
I'm fairly certain that Dragon Bone Bracelet is classic chain fashion, they look like banded on my green monk, not leather.

Danth
06-21-2020, 01:10 PM
So what are you saying, the Humans starting stat spread is better overall for a Ranger and the Wood Elf's higher Agility is more or less wasted points?

In this case the human's generally better for Ranger, but by a small enough amount that it's almost unnoticeable in practice. 10 points higher strength and stamina isn't a large difference. The wood elf's agility doesn't go wholly to waste since it increases rate of defense skill-ups and adds a slight chance for enemies to miss in melee combat, but that's definitely a secondary statistic. Don't fret the racial choice too much for this class. There isn't that big a difference between any of them in this case--nothing like the gulf between, say, a dark elf or ogre Warrior. Be sure you follow Tunare if you eventually want the Plane of Growth helm otherwise religion doesn't matter much either.

I looked up the Ranger. Of its 50 bonus points, 10 are automatically placed in stamina and agility, and 5 each into strength and wisdom. Those are the "green" attributes. 20 remain for the player to place freely.

Danth

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 01:15 PM
I'd say that's true for Wood Elf and Human, but not so for Half Elf. Their starting Wisdom is in the toilet, that's enough of a reason for me not to play a Half Elf for any Wis-based caster or hybrid (though they make the best Bards by far, IMO).

Why Half Elves have such poor Wisdom in general, I'll never know.

Danth
06-21-2020, 01:23 PM
I read someplace that half-elves are supposedly prone to rash or impulsive behavior, reflected by their low wisdom score in-game.

loramin
06-21-2020, 01:25 PM
I'm fairly certain that Dragon Bone Bracelet is classic chain fashion, they look like banded on my green monk, not leather.

Good catch! I checked Lucy to see what happend, and it turns out that item does have a chain fashion ...

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=11606

... but not in every incarnation; there's a "newer version" of it on live with a leather fashion:

https://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=54772

I've fixed it, but now I have to revise my earlier "99.9%" number. There probably aren't a ton, but there must be a decent number of similar items where A) SOE made a new item with the exact same name, B) the new item had a different fashion category, C) my script took the wrong one.

So now I'd guess only 98ish% accurate? :(

Loadsamoney
06-21-2020, 02:56 PM
Well, whatever, I kinda like the wrists to mismatch a bit to make the arms/weapons stand out a bit more. Sentry Bracers seem to have a nice cobalt-blue tint to them, they should go well with Velious Plate on a Wood Elf.

Unless I decide to go for Silver Chitin Wristbands at some point. Looks like they have a golden tint to them, which would still look nice:

https://wiki.project1999.com/images/Iksar_spirit_weaver.png

Loadsamoney
06-26-2020, 09:32 PM
I know many will disagree with me, but I really think that Barbarians should have been a potential race for Rangers. It fits them perfectly. Higher on the Wisdom than the Int, good Str/Sta, two armor sizes, Slam for spell interrupting, and Barbarians tend to have a deep affinity with nature as part of their lore (ala Shaman and Beastlord), so IMO they should have been a potential race for Rangers and possibly even Druids too.

loramin
06-26-2020, 09:38 PM
I know many will disagree with me, but I really think that Barbarians should have been a potential race for Rangers. It fits them perfectly. Higher on the Wisdom than the Int, good Str/Sta, two armor sizes, Slam for spell interrupting, and Barbarians tend to have a deep affinity with nature as part of their lore (ala Shaman and Beastlord), so IMO they should have been a potential race for Rangers and possibly even Druids too.

IDK: Barbarians are like vikings ... they might be good at dealing with nature (eg. murdering a polar bear), but they're not defenders of nature.

Loadsamoney
06-26-2020, 09:46 PM
IDK: Barbarians are like vikings ... they might be good at dealing with nature (eg. murdering a polar bear), but they're not defenders of nature.

You can always make an exception based on religion. I can see the odd Barbarian being a worshipper of Tunare.

Nobody will stand by the argument that an Ogre would make a good Int caster, but prior to being cursed after their siege on the Plane of Earth, they were probably the most intelligent (and ruthlessly warmongering) race in the known realms. The potential is there.

kaev
06-27-2020, 02:21 AM

:shrug: Half Elfs should be able to be SKs, shit stats, shit attitude from NPCs, perfect fit. Instead they get Druid & Paladin with gimped wis? Suspect an RP half elf paladin with a severe case of broomstick up the ass on some MUD touched Brad in a nono place.

Loadsamoney
06-27-2020, 03:07 AM
:shrug: Half Elfs should be able to be SKs, shit stats, shit attitude from NPCs, perfect fit. Instead they get Druid & Paladin with gimped wis? Suspect an RP half elf paladin with a severe case of broomstick up the ass on some MUD touched Brad in a nono place.

I agree with this, Half Elves are the consummate representatives of Black Lives Matter in the world of Everquest, and the only class I can justify playing a Half Elf for is Bard. They'd make decent Shadowknights though, I think, from the lore if not the stats. Take all that hatred and abuse they've suffered from their peers over their lives, let it fuel them like some kind of photosynthesis, and project it outward to the world around them.

Snaggles
06-28-2020, 10:56 AM
I agree with this, Half Elves are the consummate representatives of Black Lives Matter in the world of Everquest, and the only class I can justify playing a Half Elf for is Bard. They'd make decent Shadowknights though, I think, from the lore if not the stats. Take all that hatred and abuse they've suffered from their peers over their lives, let it fuel them like some kind of photosynthesis, and project it outward to the world around them.

Way to take a dumb post and make it dumber.

Good luck getting out of 40, figuring out who should practice bind wound, and if tigerraptor armor is good.

Loadsamoney
06-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Way to take a dumb post and make it dumber.

Good luck getting out of 40, figuring out who should practice bind wound, and if tigerraptor armor is good.

Wow, buddy. Who rammed a broomstick up your ass and snapped it off at the base?

NegaStoat
06-29-2020, 02:19 AM
My ranger has Crystal Chitin boots, gauntlets, legs, arms, circlet, and chest, with an ice forged shackle and hero bracer for the visible pieces. It looks sweet and most of it can be used by other character alts I have. While the circlet offers no graphic, that's a good thing that motivates me to continue leveling the character to do (read: purchase) a Helm of the Tracker quest to complete the full chrome plate look. Fem wood elf ranger alts go this route for a reason - the fashionquest is top notch.

Edit - I threw down for a Silvery Belt of Contention for my haste item as it's amazing to put on any alt that's clawing their way up to the 20's, even with cloth casters. Frees up room for the superior Gauntlets over the crystal chitin handwraps.

MikeXG
06-30-2020, 08:19 AM
Wow, buddy. Who rammed a broomstick up your ass and snapped it off at the base?

Pretty sure it was you, comparing the strife of the half elf race in a video game to the seemingly endless oppression of Black People. Poor taste my friend. Black Lives matter, period! and comparing that movement to any facet of this game is just sad and wrong.

Loadsamoney
06-30-2020, 12:54 PM
Pretty sure it was you, comparing the strife of the half elf race in a video game to the seemingly endless oppression of Black People. Poor taste my friend. Black Lives matter, period! and comparing that movement to any facet of this game is just sad and wrong.

Fair enough. I can admit when I was in the wrong.

But I still think Half Elves, from a lore perspective, make a good potential candidate for Shadow Knights.

Skarne
06-30-2020, 01:40 PM
...it would be a nightmare trying to pick a place to eat with this guy.

Loadsamoney
06-30-2020, 01:49 PM
...it would be a nightmare trying to pick a place to eat with this guy.

Okay, I don't know where I'm getting all this controversy all of a sudden, but please stop. This was not my intention.

Skarne
06-30-2020, 01:59 PM
I was only jokin man, apologies.

MikeXG
06-30-2020, 03:01 PM
Fair enough. I can admit when I was in the wrong.

But I still think Half Elves, from a lore perspective, make a good potential candidate for Shadow Knights.

I respect that you can admit this and thank you for doing so instead of trying to start a forum flame war with me (which I would not have engaged).

As far as your thoughts on Half-elf being a good SK from a lore standpoint: I always thought Half elves could be half human and high elf, wood elf, or dark elf. So why not, sadly this game ain't getting patched with new adjustments anytime soon.

Cheers.

N0tClassic
06-30-2020, 03:19 PM

BAYDA!

Loadsamoney
07-13-2020, 09:00 PM
Are Silver Chitin Wristbands worth the price for a Ranger/Bard? I can afford two of them, but I have Hero's Bracer and Hardened Clay Bracelet to transfer already, and these will eventually be replaced with Thurgadin bracers on both characters.

Snaggles
07-13-2020, 10:32 PM
They are great and usually better than Thurg (for rangers and knights). A nice bracer until/if you can get beno bracers.

Problem is two of them are a good part of the way to an upgrade for weapon or haste. Ice Forged Shackles are a free alternative that looks cool.

Loadsamoney
07-14-2020, 12:03 AM
They are great and usually better than Thurg (for rangers and knights). A nice bracer until/if you can get beno bracers.

Problem is two of them are a good part of the way to an upgrade for weapon or haste. Ice Forged Shackles are a free alternative that looks cool.

If you're talking about Swiftwind, I'm more interested in Earthcaller. Swiftwind would be a second consideration.

MikeXG
07-14-2020, 12:03 PM
If you're talking about Swiftwind, I'm more interested in Earthcaller. Swiftwind would be a second consideration.

To get the earthcaller you need to do swiftwind. Basically the second to last step of the Ranger epic is a turn in that yields you swiftwind and something else. then you take that something else and another final item to get earthcaller. To my knowledge there is no way to get earthcaller without getting swiftwind first... unless you destroy it or something i guess.....

Kaellaven
07-14-2020, 09:26 PM
That’s correct. You have an ancient sword forged and get swiftwind, the young dwarven Smith makes you a replica of the ancient sword and that becomes Earth Caller when you turn in the shattered emerald of corruption. To get to the point for earthcaller you would have no reason not to have swiftwind made.

Loadsamoney
07-14-2020, 10:07 PM
What I'm saying is, if I'm going to put in the work/money to get Swiftwind, I'm going all the way for Earthcaller too. I'm not just gonna stop at Swiftwind.

Snaggles
07-15-2020, 10:42 AM
You asked if those if they were “worth the price”.

It depends. Most gear decisions are subjective. Supply and demand dictates that they are indeed “worth it”. People buy them all the time.

The real question is “should you buy them”.

Qualifying factors:
* Do you have the means?
* Are resources best spent elsewhere (hence my weapon question)?
* Are the alternatives even an option? (Non raiders don’t get raid loot, if you aren’t level 46 you can’t get epics even if you have the 200,000 plat)
* Even if you provide us specifics (level, current gear, goals, etc) are you looking for advice or just support of what you have already decided on?

A ranger will rarely be a tank; it’s not ideal. They are a dps with utility buffs who often pulls. Once you meet those goals you should worry about the secondary ones.

As for a bard that’s a bit different. They are a caster who wears plate, they don’t dps but they do CC and pull. Hit points are great but going back to the top of this response: It depends. What instruments do you have? What are your resists like? Most bards would be better served with blue diamond bracelets. Bards (like rangers) who get rooted die. Bards that get feared stop singing songs. So pump that MR...

Note: In efforts to offer feedback On a multi-faceted question in less than 2000 words some of these are assumptions or generalizations. I don’t intend to get in a bard debate and certainly won’t put up much of a fight :). SCW’s are great for everyone, it just depends what you have and what you are trying to accomplish.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2020, 11:58 AM
I do have the means, I can make about 3kpp a day if I push for it. They would only be temporary if I do get them though, Thurgadin Bracers and Ice Forged Shackles would eventually replace them, and then they'd go to the next alt for twinking purposes.

Snaggles
07-15-2020, 01:50 PM
If you get 3k a day farming paineel guards it won’t matter. You will be in the high 40’s forever and sanity will have crept from your psyche. As a howling insane banshee the pixels will barely satiate you.

I’ve leveled two toons to 60 in HK, without the dopamine drip of exp it’s the slowest pace in the game.

Level up and don’t fixate on this crap. Make good decisions and practice your skills. Also if you want to farm with a melee weapons, haste and regen will actively speed up the farm. Better yet reroll a necro or enchanter.

Loadsamoney
07-15-2020, 03:00 PM
If you get 3k a day farming paineel guards it won’t matter. You will be in the high 40’s forever and sanity will have crept from your psyche. As a howling insane banshee the pixels will barely satiate you.

I’ve leveled two toons to 60 in HK, without the dopamine drip of exp it’s the slowest pace in the game.

Level up and don’t fixate on this crap. Make good decisions and practice your skills. Also if you want to farm with a melee weapons, haste and regen will actively speed up the farm. Better yet reroll a necro or enchanter.

I can get good exp if I have access to the full Palace camp, with 5-6 mobs every 24 minutes. My intention now is to take Paineel to 50, do JBoots and then transfer and start my Ranger. I can still do Paineel leveling after that when I don't feel like playing my alt, mixing the Captain into the rotation.

Plat outweighs exp for me. I want both, obviously, but I have to choose between a great camp that gets me a level every 8 hours but no money, and a camp that gets me a level every 40 hours but good money, I'll take the latter.

Snaggles
07-15-2020, 03:56 PM
Hey, you do you :). Whatever makes you happy.