PDA

View Full Version : Was multiquesting intentional or a bug? An answer from an original EQ dev.

Psyborg
06-10-2020, 01:51 PM
This answer. I like this answer.

https://clips.twitch.tv/KathishAthleticQueleaWTRuck

Psyborg
06-10-2020, 01:55 PM
For those that don't want to view the clip:

Shawn:

That to me sounds like a bug and it was one of those bugs where it's like, "hey this is a bug" and then somebody was like, "well do we fix it? No, I need it for my character as well. Okay let's not fix that then." I'm not joking, that conversation happened. "If we fix this that sucks for us too right? Well let's just ignore that."

loramin
06-10-2020, 01:59 PM
Heh, some of the absolute worst decisions made in EQ design were made by people using their play experience to justify things (without realizing how limited that perspective was).

It was a major factor (for instance) in why classes were so out of balance: certain devs played certain classes, and as a result were blind to how overly powerful they'd made those classes.

Erati
06-10-2020, 02:11 PM
Im shocked.

JK that makes logical sense and why MQ is a classic unintended feature that improved the game :)

Psyborg
06-10-2020, 02:19 PM
Heh, some of the absolute worst decisions made in EQ design were made by people using their play experience to justify things (without realizing how limited that perspective was).

It was a major factor (for instance) in why classes were so out of balance: certain devs played certain classes, and as a result were blind to how overly powerful they'd made those classes.

He gave an answer to things being poorly thought out. Basically, "We had no reason to believe the game was going to be around in 6-9 months. It's why the best pre-Kunark secondary item dropped from a level 13 in Qeynos Hills. We didn't think it would ever matter."

Trexller
06-10-2020, 03:44 PM
this thread has some good potential

I wanna know what else the original Devs did that was a mistake, but they left it because it had some benefit they liked...

Im also intersted in what devs played what classes. We all know Aradune, but did Brad have other classes? what about smedley?

Or anything else that devs talked about or leaked that was unintentional, but never fixed.

Might shed some interesting light on things like the boats from Live, which were never completed properly, so they added the "teleportation gnomes" at every boat dock.

stormlord
06-10-2020, 03:46 PM
on live i mq'd my ranger 1.0 for 20k. don't reget it really. i spent a couple weeks farming in hate and couldn't get it. frankly, i've always like "free economy" type things (like raid items being tradeable in FV), as long as it's not too mudflated. i've always liked repair/damage mechanics so that items degrade longterm, but that's me.

Psyborg
06-10-2020, 04:27 PM
on live i mq'd my ranger 1.0 for 20k. don't reget it really. i spent a couple weeks farming in hate and couldn't get it. frankly, i've always like "free economy" type things (like raid items being tradeable in FV), as long as it's not too mudflated. i've always liked repair/damage mechanics so that items degrade longterm, but that's me.

Do you like permanent damage over time or will the durability hits always be repairable such as they are in WoW?

White_knight
06-10-2020, 05:37 PM
If Dev's were biased to their classes why was the Paladin so mehish in classic/kunark considering the lead designer (Brad) was a Paladin.

Class needed some niceties that werent added till Luclin onward. (243 pt undead proc spell, 25% self haste buff in the 40s, fast cast root 1.0 second (shackle of tunare), better heals, better stuns (8-12 second durations)

I mean 75 Archery skill as an example of the over all weakening of the class vrs PvE in classic. They should have been given better damage vrs Undead as per their DnD lore mechanics.

kaev
06-10-2020, 05:48 PM
If Dev's were biased to their classes why was the Paladin so mehish in classic/kunark considering the lead designer (Brad) was a Paladin.

Um, Aradune was a Ranger. With a flaming sword.

Pint
06-10-2020, 07:47 PM

Heh his point stands

Kirdan
06-11-2020, 01:10 AM
Ahem, he was a War Wizard.

Kaellaven
06-11-2020, 01:19 AM
Heh his point stands

Lol damn you beat me to it!! Haha.

White_knight
06-11-2020, 03:56 AM

Wasn't he a Paladin and that's why the first epic was Paladin? Pretty sure he was Paladin luv'er.

We need a lore/eq historian in here pronto

White_knight
06-11-2020, 03:58 AM
"He's a Ranger but wore Paladin-like armor in EQ.didn't make sense. In VG and now Pantheon its green chain"

From Brad's twitter account.

Well color me impressed.

Pootle
06-11-2020, 04:15 AM
I can recall that a Dev once stated that they didn't even think of kiting as a playing tactic, until the players started doing it.

(really cant remember where i read that, or if its just an EQ urban legend)