PDA

View Full Version : Advice for doing JBoots quest without having to MQ it?

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 01:20 AM
What's the best way to hunt down an Ancient Cyclops without access to Track? I'd really rather get these on my own when I'm strong enough and not have to sink 5kpp into it just because I can't get a Ring of the Ancients.

Looking to do it around 39 or so.

Katran
06-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Camp AC in Ocean of Tears. No need for track there, just kill placeholder mob.

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 01:45 AM
Camp AC in Ocean of Tears. No need for track there, just kill placeholder mob.

Oh, sweet. I'll do that then. Thank you.

Oh wow, that one is supposedly Level 41. I'll have to wait until later for him, maybe 49 or so when new spells come.

Fireblade7
06-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Yeah, SRo was ridiculous to try and camp as a monk. Only time I ever even got to run around and see if something was up was at like 2-5am CST and even occasionally
I’d still see someone checking on their Druid.. I decided to farm the plat instead of waiting till I could solo the AC in OoT. Week well spent :) I love my clicky jboots!

loramin
06-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Oh, sweet. I'll do that then. Thank you.

Oh wow, that one is supposedly Level 41. I'll have to wait until later for him, maybe 49 or so when new spells come.

There tends to be a long line there. If it was me, I'd bring a little plat, wait until someone was behind me in line, and then offer to bribe them (IDK, maybe 500p? less might work?) to help me.

Now they have a choice: be a nice person and make 500p while they're already stuck there waiting ... or say no in the hopes that you won't be able to kill it on your own and they'll get their turn faster. If that happens, I'd wait for the next person in line after them to show up, and make the same offer.

If you can't get anyone on the island to help you, that plat should be enough to entice someone else in OOT (eg. someone farming Seafuries) to come over and help, and if not then I'd send random tells offering it to people in Butcherblock and Freeport.

The point being, AC is not a hard fight for many people: the hard part is getting out to OOT and waiting. I think most people ... who have to sit there waiting for their turn anyway ... will be happy to help you fight, if you sweeten the deal for them ... and even if not there are enough nice people on the server that you should be able to find help somewhere.

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 12:38 PM
There tends to be a long line there. If it was me, I'd bring a little plat, wait until someone was behind me in line, and then offer to bribe them (IDK, maybe 500p? less might work?) to help me.

Now they have a choice: be a nice person and make 500p while they're already stuck there waiting ... or say no in the hopes that you won't be able to kill it on your own and they'll get their turn faster. If that happens, I'd wait for the next person in line after them to show up, and make the same offer.

If you can't get anyone on the island to help you, that plat should be enough to entice someone else in OOT (eg. someone farming Seafuries) to come over and help, and if not then I'd send random tells offering it to people in Butcherblock and Freeport.

The point being, AC is not a hard fight for many people: the hard part is getting out to OOT and waiting. I think most people ... who have to sit there waiting for their turn anyway ... will be happy to help you fight if you sweeten the pot, and even if not there are enough nice people on the server that you should be able to find help somewhere.

Even on blue there's a line for that? How big of a wait is it usually? Is this people actually wanting the JBoots for themselves, or just greedy people trying to sell the MQ?

loramin
06-09-2020, 12:43 PM
I did it last month, showed up just before noon ... and there were six people ahead of me in line at that point.

For reference, I looted my ring at 8:28 PM that night, but this is definitely a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation, as there is a huge random difference as to how long it will take between each AC. While I was waiting we got a rare "two ACs in a row" case ... but then we also got tons of placeholders in a row. To be safe, I'd recommend getting there earlier than I did, unless you are willing to play late.

P.S. It seemed mostly people who want it for themselves, but I'm sure some were re-selling. I don't consider them any "greedier" than anyone doing any other cash camp though.

loramin
06-09-2020, 12:46 PM
P.S. I did it on a Thursday: obviously on weekends you can expect much more interest :)

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 12:47 PM
P.S. I did it on a Thursday: obviously on weekends you can expect much more interest :)

I can only imagine there must be a LOT of people trying to sell this thing then. I was thinking OoT activity would be fairly low during the 500 hours.

loramin
06-09-2020, 12:50 PM
I can only imagine there must be a LOT of people trying to sell this thing then. I was thinking OoT activity would be fairly low during the 500 hours.

Well again, I'm sure plenty are trying to sell, but don't discount alts either: Blue has lots of those, and every last one (that isn't a Bard/Shaman/Druid/Ranger) will eventually want this item. In fact, that's why I was there: I actually would have preferred to buy an MQ, but no one was selling, and I wanted JBoots for my Necro alt, so ...

Even if you somehow could ban resellers, I'm sure there'd still be huge interest in that camp (and long lines). But if you get there early, and are prepared to AFK wait awhile, you'll likely get your ring at some point later that day. Then you just have to murder some shadow men, chase a gnome while carrying a bunch of gold, and you're set ;)

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Well again, I'm sure plenty are trying to sell, but don't discount alts either: Blue has lots of those, and every last one (that isn't a Bard/Shaman/Druid/Ranger) will eventually want this item. In fact, that's why I was there: I actually would have preferred to buy an MQ, but no one was selling, and I wanted JBoots for my Necro alt, so ...

Even if you somehow could ban resellers, I'm sure there'd still be huge interest in that camp (and long lines). But if you get there early, and are prepared to AFK wait awhile, you'll likely get your ring at some point later that day. Then you just have to murder some shadow men, chase a gnome while carrying a bunch of gold, and you're set ;)

Or camp at night until 2 in the morning. I usually can't play without interruptions until 8PM onward. If six hours isn't enough to get one of these things after peak hours are over, then I'm probably screwed.

loramin
06-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Or camp at night until 2 in the morning. I usually can't play without interruptions until 8PM onward. If six hours isn't enough to get one of these things after peak hours are over, then I'm probably screwed.

Well, whenever you're dealing with a mob that has a rare chance of appearing, you're always going to be at the mercy of RNJesus ;) But that said, as long as you aren't super unlucky, I think six hours, in the middle of the night (on Blue) sounds like a realistic goal to me.

Also, there's another option, which is to camp out there, and just check in at various times. As popular as the camp is, there are also periods where no one shows up to join the line, so if you keep checking in, eventually you'll catch the list when it has very few people ahead of you (possibly even just one or zero, with some luck ... and of course your chances will be better later).

Loadsamoney
06-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Well, whenever you're dealing with a mob that has a rare chance of appearing, you're always going to be at the mercy of RNJesus ;) But that said, as long as you aren't super unlucky, I think six hours, in the middle of the night, on Blue, sounds like a realistic goal to me.

Also, there's another option, which is to camp out there, and just check in at various times. As popular as the camp is, there are also periods where no one shows up to join the line, so if you keep checking in eventually you'll catch the list when it has very few people ahead of you.

Well, I'll just do what I can when the time comes. It's quite a ways off at the moment, I'm only Level 15 on this Paladin and the AC in OoT is Level 41 or so, so I'll need at least 46 to take it on, preferably 49 when I get my last big batch of new spells.

Izmael
06-09-2020, 03:55 PM
I think the AC camp is too boring and could use some spicing up.

For example, instead of 100%, make the ring drop rate the same as the Rubi BP's drop rate was off AoF.

Think of the epic stories and drama we'll hear here on the forum! /drool

Trazic
06-09-2020, 04:08 PM
I can get on board spicing up this camp. But I propose we add a new spawn to the table instead. It will be an army of 57 Hasten Bootstrutters who immediately take off running in all directions. The next mob in the cycle cannot spawn until each and every one is chased down and killed.

Tnair
06-10-2020, 01:31 PM
I can get on board spicing up this camp. But I propose we add a new spawn to the table instead. It will be an army of 57 Hasten Bootstrutters who immediately take off running in all directions. The next mob in the cycle cannot spawn until each and every one is chased down and killed.

+1 for this community-building idea