PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get IP Exemption

NoCatharsis
06-08-2020, 08:36 PM
This is on behalf of my father. He is trying to play with his girlfriend, submitted an IP Exemption, so that they can play from his house on 2 separate computers. The exemption request was sent 24 hours ago, and they are still not able to log on both accounts on the same IP.

How long does this take to resolve?

Thanks!

Nitholias01
06-08-2020, 08:42 PM
they usually do them in batches, probably end of the month

NoCatharsis
06-08-2020, 08:45 PM
What?!? That's crazy! That's 3 weeks away!!!

Skarne
06-08-2020, 08:50 PM
And yet Everquest is forever! Fair trade if you ask me

Blingy
06-08-2020, 08:57 PM
OMG!!! Three weeks you say? How can this be true! ANSWERS!!! All must be done for her highness is called Karen and respect is demanded!

Seriously though; this project is ran by volunteers. They're some really awesome people. The server is kept going financially by a couple of really cool guys that do this because they simply want to.

So..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwUlkKfR_NI

Kich867
06-08-2020, 08:58 PM
I dont think its typically 3+ weeks, I've done it several times over the years and its only ever taken a few days tops.

To be clear though, the exemptions are done by hand by staff who are volunteers and have lives outside of GM'ing this server. So if it takes a bit, that's why.

NoCatharsis
06-08-2020, 10:11 PM
Not trying to come off as a Karen. And I will donate to the project because I like it a lot.

However, the system is not allowing my dad and his gf to log on at the same time, effectively accusing them of boxing. If there is going to be a limitation like this, it seems there should be a quicker legitimate way to get on the IP exemption list.

So phone tethering or VPN is the way to go? Or is that considered playing the system?

bluntfang
06-08-2020, 10:16 PM
Not trying to come off as a Karen. And I will donate to the project because I like it a lot.

However, the system is not allowing my dad and his gf to log on at the same time, effectively accusing them of boxing. If there is going to be a limitation like this, it seems there should be a quicker legitimate way to get on the IP exemption list.

So phone tethering or VPN is the way to go? Or is that considered playing the system?

your dad and gf can pay to play on official servers if they NEED THEIR EQ

Baler
06-08-2020, 10:42 PM
NoCatharsis Don't let them get discouraged once you get the exemption you'll have it.
If you provide all the information they request it will go quicker.

In the past bad eggs have abused this privilege so the staff go over the requests carefully.
Just remind your dad and his gf that if both their accounts are logged in they must both be playing those separate characters. no logging in to transfer, no porting yourself, no buffing yourself, etc. P99's anti boxxing core tenants are part of what makes this server superb, every character in game is a real life person irl.

And they do have an automated way to check up on people with ip exemptions. aswell as staff will from time to time check on people if they notice anything off.
If there was no ip limit, people would box and not socialize outsize large raids. It would drain every zone of life.

Sinistria
06-09-2020, 04:56 AM
I had to wait 9 days until i got my exemption.

So just a little bit of patience is needed.

MrFiggy
06-09-2020, 11:07 AM
I put in a request as well for me, my children and my daughter's boyfriend over the weekend. I'm still waiting and hoping sooner rather than later. Gotta introduce my kiddos to the game I grew up on.

Bardolap
06-10-2020, 10:34 AM
I've requested a few exemptions over the years.

My first request, in 2014 for my girlfriend, took about 7 hours to get an initial response, and then about 5 minutes, once I provided the proper information.

My second request, in 2017 for my older son, took about 5 hours.

My third request, in 2018 for my younger son, took about 6 hours to get a response, but once again, I failed to read the complete instructions. After I created a character on the new account and responded, it was processed in less than 2 hours.

My fourth request, for a second account for me, as I had now run out of character slots, took a little longer. After 29 days, I submitted my fifth request (for my fiance's daughter). Both of those were approved 59 days later.

I remember wondering if my last couple of requests were ever going to be processed, as I'd had great luck in getting near immediate response on my first few.

Just be patient. It will happen eventually. And don't misuse it. The accounts are IP exempt forever, so you won't have to ask for it again.

MrFiggy
06-10-2020, 11:04 AM
I am patient, the kids on the other hand are not. ��

Blingy
06-10-2020, 11:23 AM
I am patient, the kids on the other hand are not. ��

I've been a stay at home dad since 2004. This is a great teaching opportunity in patience; both for you and your kids. Sometimes in life immediate gratification is awesome but other times waiting things out is better. :)

MrFiggy
06-10-2020, 11:44 AM
That is one of the reasons we are going to play EQ, I explained to them that you really get a sense of earning a reward unlike modern day games that hand them out like candy. You feel way more accomplished when you get something and it means more.

RecondoJoe
06-28-2020, 06:13 PM
I see people 2-boxing 24/7. Feel like the odds of someone getting in trouble for using a VPN to play are literally zilch since it likely wouldn’t draw attention and you would pass the in-game test anyways since you’re not actually cheating. But IDK.

pivo
06-28-2020, 07:23 PM
I see people 2-boxing 24/7. Feel like the odds of someone getting in trouble for using a VPN to play are literally zilch since it likely wouldn’t draw attention and you would pass the in-game test anyways since you’re not actually cheating. But IDK.

1 - how do you know, they are 2-boxing?
2 - are you reporting this?

Menden
06-29-2020, 01:40 AM
Our average turnaround time is about a week. The Guides stay on top of it.

immortalis88
07-09-2020, 11:36 AM
Im glad to see this post because I requested an exemption last night so that I can share this experience with my kids. Im playing on green now for about a week and it's my first p99 experience and I'm absolutely loving it. However when I submitted, the screen refreshed twice pretty quick and I couldn't read what it said - and now I have no way of verifying that the request was even received. No confirmation email, no post I can view, nothing in my control panel etc.

I didn't want to submit another one obviously, but can you guys tell me if this is to be expected when submitting the request?

Menden
07-12-2020, 03:07 AM
Im glad to see this post because I requested an exemption last night so that I can share this experience with my kids. Im playing on green now for about a week and it's my first p99 experience and I'm absolutely loving it. However when I submitted, the screen refreshed twice pretty quick and I couldn't read what it said - and now I have no way of verifying that the request was even received. No confirmation email, no post I can view, nothing in my control panel etc.

I didn't want to submit another one obviously, but can you guys tell me if this is to be expected when submitting the request?

New posts from new accounts get stuck in the spam filter, we release them manually. You should see it within 24 hours. Once your exemption is approved we'll comment on the thread.

immortalis88
07-12-2020, 11:12 AM
New posts from new accounts get stuck in the spam filter, we release them manually. You should see it within 24 hours. Once your exemption is approved we'll comment on the thread.

Thanks for the clarification Menden, I appreciate it.

Once I actually made the post you replied to, I saw the message more clearly that said it wouldn't be visible until moderator approval. I now see the thread with my exemption request.

Thanks again.

Tethler
07-13-2020, 11:28 PM

To be clear, 2-boxing (1 person playing 2 characters) with a VPN IS against the rules, so I'm not sure what you mean by "they aren't actually cheating". VPNs aren't against the rules, it's the 2-boxing part that is. If you see 2-boxers, report them. It's better for the overall health of the server.

mdogornone
07-14-2020, 05:26 PM
go play on takproject instead.

It's significantly better, and will allow them to play together without having to apply for the stupid ip exemption. The people there are also amazingly helpful