PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Custom Content for Blue in the future?

LazyHydras
06-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Hi! I know this idea has been kicked around for a while and everyone is wondering: What will happen to Blue in the future? Will it merge with Green? Or will it remain separate and have custom content?

Well, I advocate the latter route. And, what "custom content" can you possibly add and still retain some semblance of the feel of classic EQ? Well, I'm glad you asked! In 2017, a number of new quests were added (https://www.everquest.com/news/restored-kunark-quests-eq-february-2017) that utilized a number of "pointless" Kunark items that dropped but did not, as of then, have a quest attached to them.

You can find some of them on Allakhazam by browsing Cabilis quests and looking for items that may not recognize (https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/qsearch.html?zone=96&order=min_level), though, of course, this is not an exhaustive list of all of the 2017 Kunark quests. This is just one idea, and I think it is an easy way to add "custom" content to Classic EQ while maintaining the feel of the server.

Titanas
06-02-2020, 09:31 AM
It would be nice to see some liberty taken with "Broken/Unfinished Quests" But I think its best to leave blue as it is. Let people come and experience EQ as it was during velious. I wouldn't mind seeing boxing on blue. But I think if you want custom content you should check out a server Like Shards of Dalaya

Fammaden
06-02-2020, 10:38 AM
Customize the quest "Leuz's Task" to require level 54+

LazyHydras
06-02-2020, 10:47 AM
Customize the quest "Leuz's Task" to require level 54+

Like a Warcraft 3 Dryad: I'm game!

Baler
06-02-2020, 11:07 AM
AA's
Veksar

Blingy
06-02-2020, 12:47 PM
Planes of Power minus PoK. Yes, there are faction issues to be dealt with (which is part of the quest)

Make a long quest to get access for Plane of Tranquility. Something similar to the VP key quest. Here's an example of what I'm thinking of:

Talk to Terblyn Zelbus in Temple of Solusek Ro. He needs a "Token of the Planes", "Symbol of Power" and a "Scroll of Enlightenment". Hand him these three items and recieve a "Discourse of the Planes".

Token of the Planes
Sirran the Lunatic in Plane of Sky requires:
A Glarelord Eyestalk (averages 6 per plane of fear clear)
An Ashenbone spine (average 6 per plane of hate clear)
A Rabbit Foot from Stomples
A Forest Spirit Ectoplasm (3 minute ground spawn around Forest Spirits in Plane of Growth)

Symbol of Power
Emperor Ganak in Trakanon's Teeth asks for:
Scale of Phara Dar (Four drop everytime)
Fusible Earthen Ore from Master Yael
Scale of Veeshan (average one per four dragons in NtoV)

Scroll of Enlightenment
Ostorm in Temple of Solusek Ro requests:
Kejekan Tribal Headband (from Heretic Heads quest in Stonebrunt)
Shield of Nife (from Putrid Skeletons quest in North Qeynos)
Shackle of Rock (from Monk guild in Cabilis)

Smotr
06-02-2020, 05:16 PM
AA's
Veksar

They could do a trial run on Blue until it merges with Green. Then they could be reset to zero and either be reintroduced or left out depending how they were received.

On blue they'd help out some of the smaller guilds in the mean time.

Baler
06-02-2020, 05:26 PM
They could do a trial run on Blue until it merges with Green. Then they could be reset to zero and either be reintroduced or left out depending how they were received.

On blue they'd help out some of the smaller guilds in the mean time.

MY hope is green merges into blue then resets and green is even more accurate to a classic launch.

Tobius
06-02-2020, 05:27 PM
Veksar, SolC, Jaggedpine
we NEED the scale dye quest badly.

Less confidently:

Playable Frogloks, but the old models, either in the city in Kunark or a spin off of Guk. Maybe even have them take the swamp.

Maybe even LDONS but with incredibly nerfed items/items that only work in Ldon zones. Like augs that just give tiny stat boosts.

Why skip ahead to Ldon? Because at least those zones span off geograhically and lorewise from classic zones.

The elf illusion froglok crown should be in cuz everyone loves clickies.

EDIT:
Hotzones, it's not classic but in classic people did hunt in most of the zones, if only because they didn't know any better, this is a non classic mechanic just to make a more classic environment.
Make the exp bonuses small if you want. Like 5-10%

kaizersoze
06-02-2020, 07:21 PM
Once a month sleeper repop. That is all.

Baler
06-02-2020, 07:44 PM
Once a month sleeper repop. That is all.

NEVER GUUNA HAPPPEENN

Consider Green if you want a shot at the sleeper.

LazyHydras
06-03-2020, 07:44 AM
I would, admittedly, like to see some LIMITED AAs to make life a bit easier and more exciting for 60s.

Muggens
06-03-2020, 11:17 AM
Shared bank slots and a mailing system were you could mail items between accounts you own(some sort of system to flag your accounts). QoL stuff like that would give more time to actually playing instead of logistics

loramin
06-03-2020, 11:29 AM
Well, I'm glad you asked! In 2017, a number of new quests were added (https://www.everquest.com/news/restored-kunark-quests-eq-february-2017)

Here's the thing: the staff has already said that they're not interested in using custom content to re-create more Verant/SOE stuff, or at least not exactly (eg. they might use a live zone, but fill it with non-live mobs). They've been re-creating stuff for over a decade, and custom content is finally their chance to have some fun and not be constrained by classic research (and they've explicitly said that making new content is easier for them than re-creating Verant/SOE stuff).

I can't rule out them re-creating quests ... and personally one thing I'm truly hoping for is a Shawl #8 quest that involves Blacksmithing somehow ... but based on what they've said in the past, I'd expect that if one gets added it will be custom-made, not the Luclin-era one.

(P.S. But of course I'm just referencing out of context posts from years ago, and the staff could certainly change their minds even if I'm correct.)

Polixa
06-03-2020, 01:04 PM
My Custom Content Pipe Dream

If I could wave a magic wand to have custom content appear, it would be to have more "chain" quests, like the shawl, ring, badge, but for every gear slot....gear you can upgrade by quest as you go along. With quest rewards useful on a per character basis, like the Benevolence reward for example.

The quests would be interesting, lore-filled, and for extra coolness would be devised such that if you repeated the questline with another character, you would get a slightly different experience/adventure. Meaning, the Troll SK quests for the "Cloak of Customness" would be somewhat different (in flavour text and/or mechanics) to the Woodelf druid quests but for a similar quality of item.

And finally, my pipedream custom quest scales with level, so that you can start these quests at very low level, and hunt orc pawns for the first step of the quest, but if you start the quest at level 50, you get the drops you need somewhere level appropriate instead. The point being - a benefit for starting the questlines with a new character, and stopping level 50s disrupting lower levels by farming green mobs for their version of the quest.

kaizersoze
06-03-2020, 01:05 PM
a horror construct in Cazic Thule. Its a ykesha mob, but you can totally kill it in velious gear and would be fun.

Ripqozko
06-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Sorry you don’t got warder loot.

sacman08
06-03-2020, 04:45 PM
I think I have said it before but the only custom content I would like to see on P99 Blue is shared bank slots and the improved tradeskill interface.