PDA

View Full Version : EQ Newbie here!

wayne62682
06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Afternoon everyone,

I've only ever really played WoW and gotten fed up with the direction Retail WoW is going, and I'm getting a bit bored with Classic WoW. I've always wondered what EQ was like since I had always heard about it but I never was able to play it back in the early 2000s.

I've been watching a ton of videos on Youtube about P99 to get an idea of what it's like, and I guess my first question is should I pick Blue or Green? Green as I understand it was a brand new server and is closer to the original 1999-era version while Blue is an expansion or two in and Green I guess has adjustments to make it closer to what originally was (I'm familiar with that from Classic WoW and having some features disabled because it didn't exist in Classic)? Would Green be a better starting point since it's newer?

The next question is something I'm sure that gets asked a ton, what class would be good to start out brand new with? I've played Warlock, Mage and Death Knight in WoW mostly. I've read a guide linked from the P99 Wiki called something like EQ for WoW Refugees to get an idea of things and it mentioned to melee classes. I'd like something that can solo decently if necessary since my time will be limited to maybe a few hours a week and I may not always be able to find a group depending on when I can log on.

The EQ Necromancer seems to be the ancestor of the WoW Warlock from what I've read (DoTs, Fear, a Siphon health ability) but running an evil character sounds like a bad idea since in EQ you can be killed by NPCs for being evil if you aren't careful? So like I would not be able to go into certain cities or the guards would know I'm a Necromancer and attack me?

I've seen it mentioned a lot that druid Druid is a good beginner class but I've also read that they are not really desired in groups because they don't do anything really well. I haven't read too much on Magician but it seems like somewhere in between a WoW Mage and a Hunter in that you do damage but have a pet that can tank for you?

I think it might be between Necromancer, Druid or Mage. Any suggestions? I'm eager to give it a shot and see one of the precursors to WoW and the former "king" of the MMORPG genre.

Tunabros
06-02-2020, 06:29 PM
The first thing you want to do is read the beginner guides on the wiki. Great help there for new players.
Things to know:
Everquest is a lot different than other mmos. You will have to depend on other players. You will die and get frustrated. But believe me, we are still playing this game.

Classes for newbies (in my opnion):
(if you want to dps)
-rogue
-monk
(if you want to tank (preferably not a good newbie choice since most tanks are gear dependent)
-paladin
(If you want to heal)
-cleric
-druid
(if you want to be support/kind of everything)
-druid
-bard
(if you want mainly cast spells and have a pet! :D)(both have pets are good for soloing)
-enchanter
-magician
-necromancer

Its all up to you tho. Tbh just pick a class you like and just roll with it. There are plenty of guides on the wiki and players are extremely helpful with new players.
You should definitely be playing on green if you want to be able to group with other players at a low level. The green server is currently on vanilla states and on November, the kunark expansion will go live. So, now's the perfect chance to start playing!
If you ever need help, send me a tell in game (Knifeman)
Good luck and see in Norrath!

Exard3k
06-03-2020, 03:50 AM
I recommend Shaman as a beginner class. You get familiar with melee and spells and shaman has pretty much any spell category available so you can see what you like and you can either fit into the damage or healing role in a group. Barbarian shaman is solid and barbarians aren't evil. And you don't have to bother with pet macros until later levels. Everfrost is a great starting zone.

Tunabros
06-03-2020, 03:47 PM
I second this. Shamans are really decent if your looking for a class who can use spells and melee. They are pretty good soloers and valued in groups. As a new player, you should roll barbarian. But they lack night vision and have no regen bonus like the trolls and ogres have.

Near everfrost is black burrow and you can do gnoll fang quest turn in for some exp early on

wayne62682
06-03-2020, 03:55 PM
I might try a Barbarian, they seem interesting!

Snortles Chortles
06-03-2020, 07:09 PM
i support necromancer choice for EQ beginners with the warlock mindset

you can solo to 50 with minimal gear
feign death, to avoid death
invis
invis vs undead
fear
skeleton pet
turn into a skeleton (increased mana generation)

**be warned though, EverQuest is substantially more unforgiving than WoW in terms of grinding and dying

good luck

sacman08
06-03-2020, 07:23 PM
None of the classes match, less quest exp compared to WoW (way less). No PvP unless you play Red server. It's best to make friends and get a guild so that you can help them and they can help you with gear and what not. Grinding will be monotonous but necessary. Good luck.

Sinistria
06-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Grinding will be monotonous but necessary. Good luck.

Sometimes it can be very boring, yes, but:

This is something i realy enjoy.
Difference from WoW i don't need to run around to much just to talk to one questgiver.
The grind is a great time to meet people and have fun chatting in the group.

But yes: sometimes it can be very boring.

Just don't take levelling up as the main reason to play, enjoy the way in levelling up and meeting nice (wich is the majority here) people.

Exard3k
06-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Grinding will be monotonous but necessary.

The fact that you have an actual long downtime you don't have on more modern MMOs is also a great opportunity for communication. Other players in /ooc, selling stuff, buying stuff, asking stuff, grouping up....whatever. I never had time in wow grinds for much chatting...was busy running around, beating mobs down.

atm I often port to EC when my mana bar is empty and buy/sell for 10-15min and then get back to mobs. Privilege of wizards/druids, but not boring at all :)

unleashedd
06-04-2020, 09:55 AM
level 1 is the only level when you get to kill even mobs efficiently. heed my advice; aim for lower levels to grind on

wayne62682
06-04-2020, 05:20 PM
level 1 is the only level when you get to kill even mobs efficiently. heed my advice; aim for lower levels to grind on

Haha thanks for that tip!

Mackinz
06-04-2020, 06:00 PM
I did Najena with a group of people and it was the most enjoyment I have had in an MMO except for one time in FFXI. We wiped like 5 times but we got what we wanted in the end.

This is a game for leveling a toon of course, but its also a game for COMMUNITY. You have to interact with players and that is a very good thing. It makes the game feel alive and there's nothing cooler than a higher level toon running up to you as a low level and giving you buffs/plat. I do the same now that I'm lvl 24. Level 24 doesn't feel like halfway there. I feel like I earned this lvl 24 and its a high level. WoW was not like this.

You play EQ for the experience of traveling the world and working together with people for the greater good. The grinding is frustrating, but rewarding. I'd play this any day over modern wow with all its bells and whistles that give you "rewards" but its all participation trophies. You have to earn what you get on here.

Dorrel
06-04-2020, 06:44 PM
I'm going to suggest playing a necromancer. I've played one on live, blue, and have a level 21 on green. They were all gnomes. Any race you pick you'll have to "con" NPCs from a distance at first to see if you're KOS (Kill On Sight). Once you're level 16 you'll have invisibility, invisibility against undead, and feign death. Those 3 spells will go a long way to keeping you alive in case you wonder into somewhere you're KOS. There are plenty of quests you can do to improve your faction with others, which can be fun.

Necro's are excellent solo'ers and if your play style/time. You can log in, cast a pet, and be killing right away.

Necro's can be valuable in groups as well. Pet DPS and taps help out with fast dying enemies. Rooting mobs away from others, snare and fearing off mobs (when safe), or Pet tanking adds will be welcomed.

wayne62682
06-06-2020, 09:00 AM
I definitely will have to try a Necro. I'm trying a Druid right now to avoid being evil. Rough going but I expected that! I think I just hit level 4 haha.

pivo
06-06-2020, 09:43 AM
I definitely will have to try a Necro. I'm trying a Druid right now to avoid being evil. Rough going but I expected that! I think I just hit level 4 haha.

Don't forget to buy spell 'Gate' at lvl4! Your: 'O Chit' escape spell.

What zone did you start? Or what is your race?

As a beginner (and bad, slow & clumsy player) I was suggested Hafling Druid. Druids get meditate (faster mana regen when sittting) at lvl8. Before that is a huge grind. 10 seconds attack, NPC killed, mana bar empty, then sitting few minutes to replenish mana bar. Booooooooring!~ At lvl 7 I could not get to lvl 8. I was dying enough often, that my XP bar was not moving higher. Actually I dropped several times from lvl7 back to 6. If I would duo would be OK but I was soloing.

So I started again and choose Druid in different starting zone: Greater Faydark (Keleith city) - Wood Elf. Why? Because there are quests that helps you level up. (or/also selling drop to other players, who want to level up, making good starting money)

There are 3 typically suggested beginner classes: Mage, Necro and Druid. I started Mage and Necro also as a Gnome. (Steamfont Mountains starting area). Nice thing is, these two starting areas are close, separated only by Lesser Faydark, that can be traveled from/to easy, just stay on the wall when traveling in LF.

Then there is third starting area, in front of city Kaladim. (Kaladim is, where you turn in your bone chips for fast leveling) So you can use all three by easy traveling from one to another. Where I was stuck with Hafling Druid at lvl7, this time I leveled him up very easy with the bone chips turn in quest. And later with CB belts. (turn in quest is also in Kaladim city) If you don't care to level up with CB Belts, they sell for 2pp a piece! Easy money for soloing lvl7-8 and up.

For that reason I choose Mage and Necro as Gnome, for these easy starting areas close to each other, and easy early levels money.

For now, Mage is the easiest, most fun class to play for me. Next is Necro. For now, Druid is the least fun to me of the three, since I'm sitting (meditating) a lot, waiting to be able to attack again. With Mage/Necro, pet is attacking while you are meditating, so there is less waiting. Once I hit 19 and be free to travel with Druid where I want, it may become more interesting. Plus then you get some charming animal techniques to try, it may gets more fun, attacking 2 animals at the same time, 2 x xp.

Note, if you decide to try pet class, if pet does over 50% damage you only get 50% XP.
What I'm doing is, when mana bar is full, mage does most of damage, so no XP penalty.
When mana is low, pet does most damage, I take 50% xp penalty while meditating to get mana higher. (but instead of just sitting and waiting, I'm still playing!)

Someone in high teens was leveling much faster than me, by having pet do all the damage, then disband the pet (reclaim energy), kill NPC himself, get full XP, cast new (fire) pet & repeat. That way, you don't need to meditate much at all, basically constant action, and keep getting full XP. I need to try this out :)

p.s.
Just recalled - I could not level Necro with those Bone Chips turn in in Kaladim, it was KoS to the guards. For this reason, Magician Gnome is probably preferred beginner class. The really hard grinding is first 3 levels. You get pet at lvl4. After that is easy! Necro gets pet at lvl1 - probably the easiest class for levels 1-3 (once you can buy pet, since you start with 0 gold)

wayne62682
06-06-2020, 09:48 AM
I went Half-Elf Druid of Tunare, so I am in GFay.

I suspect I should look for an Orc Hill group soon, but I was waiting until level 5 so I got some of the better spells that can help out. The blue con mobs near Kelethin though I'm not sure how good those are since they don't give a lot of XP but are easy kills and I haven't really found anything more worthwhile to kill without heading towards Crushbone where they are a bit too tough right now (IIRC Orc Centurions are yellow at least to me)

Exard3k
06-06-2020, 10:17 AM
There are 3 typically suggested beginner classes: Mage, Necro and Druid.

Although they are quite capable solo, I don't think pet classes are very beginner friendly on green because the box isn't there yet and you have to do macros and keybinds and shit.

If that is less complicated for beginners than asking for a group in chat, then yes. Otherwise classes like wizard, paladin, sk, cleric are more straight forward. My recommended class/race is barbarian shaman. You get a bit of everything, no pet,decent solo as well and you can fit into multiple roles in groups.

pivo
06-06-2020, 10:20 AM
I went Half-Elf Druid of Tunare, so I am in GFay.

I suspect I should look for an Orc Hill group soon, but I was waiting until level 5 so I got some of the better spells that can help out. The blue con mobs near Kelethin though I'm not sure how good those are since they don't give a lot of XP but are easy kills and I haven't really found anything more worthwhile to kill without heading towards Crushbone where they are a bit too tough right now (IIRC Orc Centurions are yellow at least to me)

Good start! :-)

Yes orc hill at lvl5 with a group. I haven't doing any killing in GF with my Druid beside those Orcs. What I did at first few levels, I went in front of Kaladim (north part of Butcheblock Mountains - beginner zone), I got several stacks of bone chips and with them I leveled up to lvl 8.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Bone_Chips_(Kaladim)

Then, with new spells and meditate I went after the Orcs, mostly solo. :)

wayne62682
06-06-2020, 10:40 AM
I'll have to try Kaladim, I did once try a Dwarf Paladin and that area wasn't too bad for that, but figured Paladin was not a good solo class and didn't continue.

Although they are quite capable solo, I don't think pet classes are very beginner friendly on green because the box isn't there yet and you have to do macros and keybinds and shit.

If that is less complicated for beginners than asking for a group in chat, then yes. Otherwise classes like wizard, paladin, sk, cleric are more straight forward. My recommended class/race is barbarian shaman. You get a bit of everything, no pet,decent solo as well and you can fit into multiple roles in groups.

Yeah I was going to do a Magician but the lack of the pet UI made me feel it would actually be harder rather than easier. I haven't tried Barb Shaman but might see how that is. I think once before I tried an Ogre but that area was... ugh.

pivo
06-06-2020, 11:08 AM
I'll have to try Kaladim, I did once try a Dwarf Paladin and that area wasn't too bad for that, but figured Paladin was not a good solo class and didn't continue.

Beginner area in front of Kaladim is full of skeletons. Bone chips turn in quest is inside Kaladim. Perfect match. I was leveling up so fast i couldn't believe. Compared with my other Druid that got stuck at lvl7.

wayne62682
06-06-2020, 11:09 AM
Beginner area in front of Kaladim is full of skeletons. Bone chips turn in quest is inside Kaladim. Perfect match. I was leveling up so fast i couldn't believe. Compared with my other Druid that got stuck at lvl7.

If only I could use the gear from it lol

pivo
06-06-2020, 11:28 AM

If that is less complicated for beginners than asking for a group in chat, then yes. My recommended class/race is barbarian shaman.

I'm planning for my next toon to be Barbarian Shaman. (but this game is huge time sink and not much free time... although, no rush, I have years & I don't care for slow progress....)

Speaking of pet/macros vs groups and easiest. Depend of player of course. I'm bad, very very bad player, as Druid I nuke myself, heal and give shield to enemy all the time. I have /loc button but mostly when dying, in that moment of panic, trying gate, don't work, trying to flee but stunned.... I forget to click on it. Bad, slow, clumsy player in senior years.

I'm lost in the groups, everything is going so fast, I can't follow. Can't learn my role and frankly, I don't care. I'm slow.

So I slowly solo and enjoy the game. Mage is perfect for me. I don't have macros. I have my Q key (melle attack) binded to /pet attack. Simple to send pet into the fight. There is one more button I have on hotbar: /pet back off

Haven't need anything else yet at lvl 21 now. Sometimes we both attack, sometimes only pet attack, sometimes I get full XP, sometimes half XP, I don't care. Game is that way as simplest as it can be.

Ahh, I remapped my key (left of number 1) for retargeting or whatever is called. Cycling through. I click on NPC and I click on my pet. Now with that 'tilda' key I can cycle between NPC and pet and watch both HP. If pet is getting too low, I just come close, NPC attacks me and I help pet survive this way. Or I help with nukes if I have plenty of mana.

Necro I'm confused at lvl15, don't quite understand the spells how they work. LOL! But still much more fun class to play, than non pet class so far for me.

Maybe those Magician pet macros are important in the groups. Or raids. I'm avoiding groups, (and will never ever enter the raid) it is too stressful to me. I'm keep making mistakes, not sure what to do, there is simple no joy for me in the groups. Plus players are cheating with looting. Why aggravate myself with this nonsense. I just want to have fun. ;) Magician is the simplest and most fun class so far. I'm not sure what are those complicated macros you are talking about, this clumsy, slow, bad player have no problems with them ;)

p.s.
tried to set up twice assist button, I never got it to work, just to show you how bad player I am... took me over 10 levels to figure out, how to first time successfully use bandages. Yet mage is still the easiest for me.

pivo
06-06-2020, 11:40 AM
If only I could use the gear from it lol

My Wood Elf could. Well it is source of good gold by selling those pieces back to vendor. Skelies should drop cloth armor for you :)