PDA

View Full Version : 50+ Mage Pets

Aaron
05-21-2020, 09:18 AM
I'm just coming back after a long hiatus and wondered if there was a consensus on the best all around pet at level 55.

I've been using mainly fire or water, but none has stood out to me. They all seem a bit more under-powered than I remember. Did anything change?

Obviously some are better in certain situations, but I want the one I'll use the majority of the time, soloing.

Thanks. Also, I welcome any other pointers. It's been a long time.

Nycon43
05-21-2020, 09:25 AM
Post 50 mage pets are broken into distinct "classes"

Earth -- Still the tank pet

Fire -- wizard pet, casts shitty nukes and loses it's OP damage shield, don't use.

Water -- Rogue pet, will backstab. Use for grouping.

Air -- Monk pet, has a higher damage kick attack. Alternate grouping pet if you don't want to worry about positioning the water pet.

Scoojitsu
05-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Isn't that the flavor of playing a mage? Having the choice between different pets depending on the situation?
I always thought it was sad this is lost when you get your epic. Should have been something that enhances each of the pets. So you can still use them all.

kjs86z
05-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Don't knock the idea of grouping. The Hole just got an insane XP buff and is perfect for 55. Any decent group there will yield more xp / hour than solo.

Adron
05-21-2020, 11:32 AM
post-50 pets do not increase in power like pets 4-49 do. the 2nd round of earth/air/fire are slightly higher level with slightly (5%?) higher dps and health. nowhere close to keeping up with xp-giving mobs in the post 50 world (the 49 earth pet could solo 4 hill giants in a row if you sat on your butt, or the entiretly of feerott specs)

The consensus is that against level 60+ mobs, the epic pet's dps is less than the 60 water pet, no personal experience on my part though.
And, no doubt, the backstab of the water pet gives it better dps than earth or air, if you can be bothered with positioning and have a good facetanker. once you have water mastery staff from phinny it is quite close to as durable as earth.

the 49 focused fire pet is still quite useful for non-epic mages, probably up to DDD at 56. Sometimes that dang dmg shield does more dmg than the melee of the pet, and in my personal experience, makes getting full xp much easier on a 6 min med timer than other pets, due to the dmg shield shaving off the mob's health without sourcing the dmg to the pet. on a scary target, you're gonna manually dmg shield up your pet right before the fight starts, so there's 120 mana/fight saved on fire pet too.

The root of the earth pet is still insanely useful when soloing, even though the consensus is that it is not a root machine like on live. I'm sure we all have the earth elemental mastery staff for focusing it too...right?

So..some choices..or scenarios, with pet choices. not much though in reality. would be more if half the mobs 50+ weren't immune to stun, making the air pet a joke.

Grouping with a mage sounds like a joke, because everyone puts a mage in the solo category, but the pets are close to about a paladin in dps in the 50's, with the 10000 dmg nuke battery available as needed, and dmg shields are still the most efficient way to do dmg with mana not named jabartik.

Aaron
05-21-2020, 11:51 AM
Thanks, guys.

Also, did they nerf chain-casting pets? I used to be able to being casting a pet, and right before it was finished, tell the current pet to go away. Now it seems I can't do that. Is that something that's changed or am I doing something wrong?

Adron
05-21-2020, 11:56 AM
They got rid of the pet interactive window, then readded it, but /pet go away doesn't work while you're casting from that window. It DOES work when you create a button for it in the socials tab of the action window during the summon.

Aaron
05-21-2020, 01:50 PM
They got rid of the pet interactive window, then readded it, but /pet go away doesn't work while you're casting from that window. It DOES work when you create a button for it in the socials tab of the action window during the summon.

Awesome to know. Thanks!

Darkyle
05-22-2020, 12:59 PM

must be doing something wrong, I made a macro of this and it still wont dismiss pet mid casting?

Nycon43
05-22-2020, 01:02 PM
must be doing something wrong, I made a macro of this and it still wont dismiss pet mid casting?

You have to click the macro from the socials window itself; if you drag the macro to the button windows and click it won't work. I know it's kinda weird but that's how it is.

Darkyle
05-22-2020, 01:04 PM
You have to click the macro from the socials window itself; if you drag the macro to the button windows and click it won't work. I know it's kinda weird but that's how it is.

yeah I tried that it still doesn't do anything while im casting :(

Nycon43
05-22-2020, 01:12 PM

Just logged on my mage and it worked. I had a pet out, started casting a new pet and before the cast finished I clicked my /pet get lost macro from the social window and the old pet died.

Darkyle
05-22-2020, 01:15 PM
Ha, seems I had /pet go away maybe that was the issue I will try now :) thankyou!

Jimjam
05-22-2020, 01:19 PM

Have you tried loading a different ui?

Vaarsuvius
05-22-2020, 01:27 PM

if your default channel is /say, you can just type /pet get lost while casting and hit Enter before your pet summoning spell ends

It should work

Darkyle
05-22-2020, 01:28 PM
thanks for the advice guys, it was actually a case of wrong command.

For some reason I thought it was /pet go away and it's actually /pet get lost :D