PDA

View Full Version : 1hand VS 2hand.

Ben-Jammin
05-18-2020, 02:33 PM
I’m very new to EQ. I play on the Green Server and have a 11 Necro but I want to start a Barbarian Warrior as well. Can someone explain to me the difference between 1 handed and 2 handed weapons and why I would want one over the other. Strictly talking about DPS. I understand a shield is great for when I’m in groups and tanking. Also, how do I go about getting a decent lower level starter weapon? I’ve manage to come across a rusty bastard sword, and rusty 2 handed sword and a hand full or large leather armor to give my warrior. Thanks! In game necro name is Shoopuf.

Broor
05-18-2020, 10:14 PM
The answer to your question may ultimately come from the weapons that are available to you. If for instance a high level player gives you a decent magical 2HS weapon, you're going to use that. If you're left to your own devices, the best magical 1H weapons near your starting area are the Langseax/Gnoll Slayer, so you may wind up focusing on DW 1HS.
The deeper answer to your question is that you will be accruing a damage bonus as you level past 28, and players that know a lot more than I do have deduced that fast 1H weapons best utilize this static damage bonus, rather than slow 2H weapons with big damage numbers. My limited understanding is that a level 49-50 warrior will have a primary damage bonus of 8, and thereby an Electrum Bladed Wakizashi with a 7/21 ratio would turn into a 15/21 in the primary hand? An axe of the slayers would turn from a 23/48 into a 31/48? That may not be right, and I would appreciate the correction if an expert is reading, but the gist is that faster weapons give you more opportunities to capitalize on that damage bonus, hope that helps-
As far as your warrior's weapon goes, level to 13 or so, ask a mage to make you a magical weapon and kill as many wisps as you can, and then sell those greater lightstones to players for 15p until you have enough money (40-60) to invest in a magical weapon.

Kich867
05-18-2020, 10:55 PM
My limited understanding is that a level 49-50 warrior will have a primary damage bonus of 8, and thereby an Electrum Bladed Wakizashi with a 7/21 ratio would turn into a 15/21 in the primary hand?

To be clear, it does not turn into a 15/21 weapon, it turns into a 7/21 + 8 damage, which is different. The damage bonus is added at the end, it is not scaled.

To explain the difference--if the damage was added to the base damage of your weapon, a 6/20 weapon at level 31 would be an 8/20, so you'd expect to regularly hit for 16 since you hit for twice that. You don't, you hit for 14.

Broor
05-18-2020, 11:00 PM
Appreciate the correction, thanks! Leveling with a warrior and I had wondered about that-

Kich867
05-18-2020, 11:03 PM
Appreciate the correction, thanks! Leveling with a warrior and I had wondered about that-

No worries, the sentiment is correct though regardless, fast weapons benefit from the flat damage more than slow weapons do.

Ideally you have a high ratio fast weapon in main hand and a high ratio slow weapon in offhand to help reduce damage from ripostes and damage shields.

Baler
05-19-2020, 12:43 AM
dual wield with proc weapons and +dex gear to hold agro