PDA

View Full Version : Quests in EQ

Chris1479
05-13-2020, 05:54 AM
Do most people in EQ just focus on grinding and levelling? Do people still try to do NPC quests? I'm guilty of focusing mostly on the grind and ignoring most quests... feelsbadman.exe

Played EQ on and off for years but after going through the P99 Wiki, some of these quests look genuinely pretty engaging and interesting. Is it worth getting more into the questing side of things and focusing less on the grind/plat/loot aspect?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

Indecisive
05-13-2020, 07:05 AM
I think it's fair to say that most grind. I used to be that way exclusively, but having a couple ALS characters on Blue changed my perspective a bit. There's a lot of quests in the game that just really aren't worth the time or effort, but there's some really valuable or cool stuff you can find if you're willing to look.

Mblake81
05-13-2020, 07:11 AM
Some are interesting, like the visiting priestess. (https://wiki.project1999.com/The_Visiting_Priestess) You find out about the blue flame forge inside the Neriak armor shop, otherwise its another thing in the dark elf city. Some of the lore is found in the quests of the old world but the rewards are sometimes not worth it when you can TunnelQuest for a few and get a better item.

You say, 'I have not heard of this relic.'

a visiting priestess says, 'No? Why am I not surprised? You look too weak and frail to be of any use. You probably could not even best one of those intoxicated, weak-minded goblins controlled by that pathetic eye called Xxorb. Away with you, useless creature!'

You say, 'I have heard of this relic.'

a visiting priestess says, 'Long ago, there existed a race known as the Ankexfen, after thair progenitor Hazeg Ankexfen, who were created by Rallos Zek during the Elder Age. This race was quite intelligent and cunning. They quickly expanded their knowledge of magic and the other planes, yet constantly yearned for more power. So, along with their ogre counterparts, they set out to master the Plane of Earth. Alas, their attempts proved futile and the combined might of the other gods forced Rallos Zek back to the Planes of Power, leaving his creations to the whims of the other gods.'

edit: Drow and their attitude for evil eyes (Xxorb)

https://i.imgur.com/YVXQmAK.png

Founding of Menzobarranzan (inspiration for Neriak)

After battling several of the Underdark's natives, including a conflict with a clan of dwarves to whom they lost half their number, they slew a bindip (evil eye) in −3917 DR that claimed a huge natural cave as its lair. The surviving drow took up residence in this cave, naming it after their leader

Yeuo
05-13-2020, 07:12 AM
It's up to you :), grinding mobs is probably the fastest way to exp, quest will also requires some mob killing, it kind of all comes together
And you can loot the quest items without speaking to most npcs also, which is nice :D
There is plenty of time left for this server so if you aren't in a hurry do whatever you feel like doing, don't have to rush it =)

BlackBellamy
05-13-2020, 09:00 AM
Is it worth getting more into the questing side of things and focusing less on the grind/plat/loot aspect?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

The vast majority of quests provide you with a reward that is not commensurate to the work and time involved. If you're into lore and a little bit of light roleplaying you will enjoy these. Many will take you across the world and you will see places and learn stuff that you would not ordinarily encounter during straight-out leveling.

Some quests though are very popular because they provide you with BiS-or-close items or needed faction or great loads of experience (Hi Edvard Tommels!).

Broor
05-13-2020, 04:38 PM
The way I look at it, the quests are there to break the monotony of the grind and also direct you towards zones you may otherwise have missed out on. Using a human warrior starting in Qeynos as an example, you could quest for bone chips 1-4, quest for gnoll fangs 5-11, quest for bandit sashes 12-16, and then slowly start to acquire pieces for your crafted armor in various zones from 17-30, where you could begin collecting gnoll scrolls from 30-39, and then start doing quests like the Electrum Bladed Wakizashi; the net result being great armor, great weapons and a ton of experience gleaned from quest exp in conjunction with grind exp. It's a way to frame your grind time, and also invest a bit in the lore of the game, super fun in my opinion.
That being said, I main a druid and other than the paw of opalla and the testament of vanear I don't have a whole lot of gear questing to do...why did the devs shit on druids when the Temple of Sol came out? Who knows haha

aspomwell
05-13-2020, 06:03 PM
The Qeynos Badge quests (http://wiki.project1999.com/Qeynos_Badge_Quests) are pretty awesome and not your typical 'kill x mobs' quest...

Naxy
05-13-2020, 06:34 PM
The Qeynos Badge quests (http://wiki.project1999.com/Qeynos_Badge_Quests) are pretty awesome and not your typical 'kill x mobs' quest...

This is one of the best Quests in the game really.

crazycarl737
05-16-2020, 03:48 PM
Most definitely grind, but I actually met a dwarf Paladin the other day that was trying to do every quest in the game... seems a bit masochistic, but at the same time admirable. In coming back to EQ I decided to try to do more quests and explore more zones and play classes that I haven’t played, and it’s been a lot of fun. Definitely lots of grinding involved too, but I enjoy trying random quests that are sort of on the way and/or grinding in zones that are new to me

jolanar
05-17-2020, 07:50 AM

Qeynos area in general is basically the mecca for quests to begin with. Wish other cities had as many interesting quests as Qeynos does.

Videri
05-17-2020, 08:30 AM
My first time around, I played an enchanter so I could do as many quests as possible. It is a big part of EQ for sure. It's still true that many quests have pretty useless or disappointing rewards, but you can check the rewards on the wiki first.

Qeynos area in general is basically the mecca for quests to begin with. Wish other cities had as many interesting quests as Qeynos does.

Quite true. There are many factions and schemes at play in the Qeynos area. Quests are one of the ways the stories in the game are told (and re-told). Sometimes I feel like doing a quest just to see the storyline play out and be a part of it.

gherron
05-17-2020, 09:22 PM
My first time around, I played an enchanter so I could do as many quests as possible. It is a big part of EQ for sure. It's still true that many quests have pretty useless or disappointing rewards, but you can check the rewards on the wiki first.

I think this is the reason that most people on here, and probably progression servers too, just grind out exp on mob kills. Quests can be fun and interesting, but most of the time the rewards aren't worth the trouble. That being said, fun is subjective and I usually keep the rewards of a quest even after I've outgrown them just as a memento.

Budder
05-20-2020, 09:17 AM
Repeatable quests are low lvl for fast XP’s, then grind out levels so you can easily solo the harder quests for the easy money/loot! That’s what I’ve found to work.

Nocht
05-20-2020, 09:25 PM
The real questing starts with kunark and the epics imo. Finishing my shaman's epic quest and getting his Sky Iron Cudgel or finishing Greenmist on my Iksar Sk were some of the most satisfying moments in gaming for me.