PDA

View Full Version : Why you like Blue server over Green?

pivo
05-10-2020, 06:38 AM
Lately I saw several players made a statement, that Blue server is better.

As someone, new to this game, new to P99, I'm just curious, why? I saw more players logged on Green, so I created my 3 toons there. But before I invest too much time on it, if Blue is better, I may check it out also.

All I know so far is, Blue is more liberal with UI's and you can load player's custom made UI. This is appealing. Any other reason? I heard a lot that Blue is only testing server for Green.

Expansions (Velious, Luclin...) if that is the reason, in my case is not important.

Will/could number of players on Blue keep decreasing? This wouldn't be appealing to me.

I have read, since server is old some 10 years, economy is of course different, but don't quite understand implications of this. Items are cheaper and easier to get?

And last but maybe the most important question for me: is Blue better only for seasoned players, because they already have all the gear or would it be beneficial for fresh new players also?

Tl;Dr - Why is Blue better?

Jimjam
05-10-2020, 07:14 AM
Much more diverse raid content.

More zones to explore.

Some appreciable class fixes.

Better twinks to group with.

Better twink items for sale.

Less crowded levelling.

Server scum are better sumped away from general play.

Static server at the end of timeline -everything is already ‘unlocked’.

saftbudet
05-10-2020, 07:33 AM
Community is much more toxic on green. Thats kinda what turned me off about green. I have a 50 mage there tho. But no longer play it.

twill86
05-10-2020, 08:22 AM
No Dark men of Odus on blue.

Fammaden
05-10-2020, 09:09 AM
I spend time on both servers, have a nice stable of characters on both.

The biggest difference and problem is that on blue the ability to get pick-up-groups at low through mid levels has been severely impacted by the launch of green. If you want to play a group centered class, or are just the kind of person who likes to go to the hot leveling zones and say "LFG" rather than solo, then you will have more options on green from 1 to 50.

But if you want to solo mostly then there are real benefits to blue. Lower population and two expansions means more possibility to get a solo camp for yourself. And then you have a thriving end game population to hang out with at 51 to 60.

Blue's current population is very top heavy with higher level characters and many people here just spend a ton of money twinking the hell out of any class they want as an alt and solo to 50, even rogues and warriors. The economy can look imposing but there's great gear for a newbie which is much much cheaper than on green and some stuff that is dirt cheap on blue would blow away any gear you can find on green.

jolanar
05-10-2020, 09:25 AM
Better itemization is a big one for me. Gear in classic is boring especially for melees.

More to explore.

Less crowded

Less toxicity.

Better UI options.

Characters I'm attached to after 6 years of playing them.

I actually played classic and remember what it was like having 70+ people in Lower Guk.

deathusurper
05-10-2020, 09:52 AM

Because who wants to restart/level another character after 7+ years of playing, not knowing what will happen to their Green character once the Green timeline is finished?

ldgo86
05-10-2020, 10:14 AM

Because who wants to restart/level another character after 7+ years of playing, not knowing what will happen to their Green character once the Green timeline is finished?

Your Green character will turn Blue

ldgo86
05-10-2020, 10:19 AM
I am really considering just going back to Blue. I’ve had some fun getting to the mid levels on Green, but it feels claustrophobic. Will my character get an Epic? Hell no. Only the neckbeardiest will before Green recycles. So why not go back to hanging out with pals on Blue..

branamil
05-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Almost every camp I want on blue is open. I don't want to argue with some raging nerd over who has the right to kill gnolls 5 through 9

pivo
05-10-2020, 10:49 AM
OK, thanks for the responses, you all convinced me, will create the same 3 toons on Blue also. I don't mind to solo. Actually, I like it, since I don't need to worry about being the reason for group wipe.

Which one is the most popular UI?
Does Blue has the same naming policy or it is a little bit more relaxed?
Any other Blue specific tips new player should know?

Videri
05-10-2020, 12:00 PM

/raise

I have never played pre-Kunark EQ before. I had never had a chance at legacy items before (scooped some up). I had never had a chance to use some of the pre-Kunark gear before because once Kunark comes out, certain classic gear sucks by comparison. I'm having fun!

And we know what will happen to the Green characters when the Green timeline finishes. They get copied over to Blue so we can continue playing them; and the Green server is wiped and starts anew. It's amazing some people don't understand this plan yet. Some people will keep playing their characters from Green 1.0 on Blue; some will roll again on Green 2.0. Eternal classic EQ as long as you feel like playing it.

OP, I think one of the reason you see people posting about how great Blue is is that they want a bigger population there. They're trying to positively affect the server on which they play. I can relate.

And some people might post about Blue even more than others do about Green, since the popularity of Green speaks for itself. It seems to be about 125-150% of Blue's population most of the time; there were over 2k players at certain points; and I suspect the population will be above 2k again during early Kunark. Green doesn't really need more players...it's a bit snug already. XD

Ghost of Starman
05-10-2020, 12:13 PM
/raise

And we know what will happen to the Green characters when the Green timeline finishes. They get copied over to Blue so we can continue playing them; and the Green server is wiped and starts anew. It's amazing some people don't understand this plan yet.

You're wrong. This was the ORIGINAL idea, but apparently enough people complained that Rogen posted that this might not happen, so it is NOT guaranteed that toons will roll to blue as was original stated.

Ghost of Starman
05-10-2020, 12:24 PM
Actually you're wrong. This was the ORIGINAL idea, but apparently enough people complained that Rogen posted that this might not happen, so it is NOT guaranteed that toons will roll to blue as was original stated.

Actually it was a quote from Nilbog, which I pasted below. This is the latest info I've seen regarding a potential merge

Server Merge - The staff has had considerable discussion internally regarding the merging of Green into Blue at the end of the timeline. We've heard your concerns. At this time, we haven't made a final decision, but we have also decided that we will leave the door open. A lot can change in 3 years, and we may chose to leave Green running independently as we open additional servers in the future.

Videri
05-10-2020, 12:51 PM
Either way is cool with me.

ldgo86
05-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Actually it was a quote from Nilbog, which I pasted below. This is the latest info I've seen regarding a potential merge

Server Merge - The staff has had considerable discussion internally regarding the merging of Green into Blue at the end of the timeline. We've heard your concerns. At this time, we haven't made a final decision, but we have also decided that we will leave the door open. A lot can change in 3 years, and we may chose to leave Green running independently as we open additional servers in the future.

Can you link that thread?

Evia
05-10-2020, 01:07 PM
I’ve spent 7 years on blue...So I’m kinda attached to my characters.

Green was fun at release, but I quickly became turned off by the community. Blue has a more laid back feel for me and resembles the Everquest I remember a little better. The competitiveness in Everquest is fine, but it feels overboard on new servers and I don’t enjoy the overwhelming amount of aggression that stems from it all. I play eq to chill out not compete over pixels and blue is more that vibe.

deathusurper
05-10-2020, 01:15 PM
I just came back from a few months break; the last I saw was the nilbog quote you gave. And what I was getting at, was this inparticular:

"At this time, we haven't made a final decision"

Dithien
05-10-2020, 07:34 PM
Because, at the end of the day Green is just Beta for Green 2.

GnomeCaptain
05-10-2020, 08:19 PM
People saying 'green is toxic' are probably the toxic ones.

Green is great, teal was even better. I started on Green on day one and I've encountered approximately zero toxicity.

If you want toxicity, head into the raid scene or simply browse this forum.

sydbarrett25
05-10-2020, 08:30 PM
No one is trying to raise the blue population either. They are just stating their opinion. Green was too crowded, blue isnt. This is why I like blue.

sydbarrett25
05-10-2020, 11:43 PM
Ah, another reason. Blue has a stable economy. Seeing FBSS for 17k on green? Yikes. What a waste.

kaev
05-11-2020, 03:57 AM
I don't. After years on blue I was bored with the raiding, bored with obsessives minmaxing every little nigh meaningless detail they can come up with, bored with boasts about gear, bored with boasts about low number kills, just... bored. I quit playing p99 a couple months before green launched, and probably wouldn't have started again if not for the plague. Green's fun, will probably get boring eventually, but not yet.

pivo
05-11-2020, 02:33 PM
Ah, another reason. Blue has a stable economy. Seeing FBSS for 17k on green? Yikes. What a waste.

Well, economy may be stable for older accounts, but after first few levels, it seems, it may not be favorable for new players... Will see, I'm only lvl4, but I couldn't sell two stacks of bone chips. Which makes me wonder, how I'm going to pay for my next set of spells. This is the biggest difference from Green so far. All my 3 toons on Green had no problem getting platina from selling bone chips or Crushbone belts. I have Druid lvl9 with all the spells and over 70 platina extra, probably enough for next set of spells.

This lvl4 magician, couldn't afford to buy spell Gate at first since I never run into skeleton that would wear cracked staff. So I had to run back from Kaladim (bone chip quest) to Seamfont.

Since I don't have much free time, I decided I will play only 1 toon on Blue and those 3 on Green. I will have those 3 at different levels, to give me a better freedom at choosing what area to level/camp/harvest...

And Magician on Blue will be sort of 'plan B', exploring Blue server and for times when camps on Green will be full.

Unless I can't sell stuff to players and get to platina, if I will not be able to sustain myself, then I will stop playing on Blue.

jolanar
05-11-2020, 06:06 PM
Well, economy may be stable for older accounts, but after first few levels, it seems, it may not be favorable for new players... Will see, I'm only lvl4, but I couldn't sell two stacks of bone chips. Which makes me wonder, how I'm going to pay for my next set of spells. This is the biggest difference from Green so far. All my 3 toons on Green had no problem getting platina from selling bone chips or Crushbone belts. I have Druid lvl9 with all the spells and over 70 platina extra, probably enough for next set of spells.

This lvl4 magician, couldn't afford to buy spell Gate at first since I never run into skeleton that would wear cracked staff. So I had to run back from Kaladim (bone chip quest) to Seamfont.

Since I don't have much free time, I decided I will play only 1 toon on Blue and those 3 on Green. I will have those 3 at different levels, to give me a better freedom at choosing what area to level/camp/harvest...

And Magician on Blue will be sort of 'plan B', exploring Blue server and for times when camps on Green will be full.

Unless I can't sell stuff to players and get to platina, if I will not be able to sustain myself, then I will stop playing on Blue.

Hate to break it to you but the economy doesn't revolve around bone chips. ;)

Fine steel and gems sell for the same on both servers. You can then buy more with that plat on the blue server than you can on green. Some people will like that fact, and some people won't.

Mota
05-11-2020, 06:35 PM
Well, economy may be stable for older accounts, but after first few levels, it seems, it may not be favorable for new players... Will see, I'm only lvl4, but I couldn't sell two stacks of bone chips. Which makes me wonder, how I'm going to pay for my next set of spells.

Yeah I member on live when nobody purchased spells past lvl 4 until people started buying bone chips.

The fuck are you on about? Kill skellies and pray for cracked staves duh.

sydbarrett25
05-11-2020, 06:52 PM

Ya, the benefit of blue is, you can go camp the sisters in lfay, go to OOT and camp sisters there or gargoyles in OoT or MM, will have pp soon enough. Go find someone wanting some errands done like selling some guard loot for an evil character. Kill every skeleton you find and vendor the loot. Use the CB belts for xp and vendor the items given to you by dwarf dude.

sydbarrett25
05-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Even the mail quests give gold, do it enough times you will get pp for spells and xp. Ask some random person in EC, hey I need 10pp for spells, cant afford yet.

pivo
05-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Fine steel and gems sell for the same on both servers. You can then buy more with that plat on the blue server than you can on green. Some people will like that fact, and some people won't.

Good to know. Since I'm new to this game, at what level you start farming gems and fine steel? Btw, what is fine steel?

pivo
05-11-2020, 08:25 PM
Ya, the benefit of blue is, you can go camp the sisters in lfay, go to OOT and camp sisters there or gargoyles in OoT or MM, will have pp soon enough. Go find someone wanting some errands done like selling some guard loot for an evil character. Kill every skeleton you find and vendor the loot. Use the CB belts for xp and vendor the items given to you by dwarf dude.

Hey, that is a good idea, never though of this, but I did read how evil characters have harder time selling stuff. If I use /ooc this goes only through the zone, right? Would this be a good channel or better /shout? How far /shout reach, server wide?

I remember reading about mail quest, from Elf city Kelethin to Felwthide or to Kaladim, i can run few times, and train my sensing direction, thanks for reminder.

As for your suggestion from other post, asking for pp, will rather try not to. As far as I know, it does not increase begging skill lol ;)

Lfay(sisters) this starts somewhere at level 12+ correct? Yeah, once I get to level 12 and i can start binding and exploring it will get easier.

sydbarrett25
05-11-2020, 08:28 PM
Just logged into ec and saw wtb bone chips

pivo
05-11-2020, 08:33 PM
Kill skellies and pray for cracked staves duh.

Tried, not working, killed 3 stacks of bone chips worth skellies and no cracked staff. I probably shouldn't picked 'agnostic' at start lol

pivo
05-11-2020, 08:37 PM
Just logged into ec and saw wtb bone chips

So it does happen, cool ;-)
I'm not logged in and right now don't have any, I spent them on leveling. At least I have pet now ;) Will keep my eyes on /auction /ooc & /shout when i restock them again, thanks!

Fammaden
05-11-2020, 10:40 PM
When you're under level 12 you are broke all the time, that's the way things are. Money comes with levels. Tons of the rich level 50's you see on green started out being broke as hell and not being able to afford all their spells back in November, with no one out there paying plat for bone chips. It can be done. Yes there's a bigger market for certain lowbie things on green, but the path to money has always just been leveling up. Get to 40+ and you'll see all that fine steel to vendor for plat.

ScottBerta
05-11-2020, 11:49 PM
Why I choose blue is because I’ve invested so much time into this server to leave it for another... plus so many memories.

Premaximum
05-12-2020, 06:12 AM
People saying 'green is toxic' are probably the toxic ones.

Green is great, teal was even better. I started on Green on day one and I've encountered approximately zero toxicity.

If you want toxicity, head into the raid scene or simply browse this forum.

Ah, yes. Blue is toxic if you do one completely optional thing after you hit 60. Very cool.

If you think Green won't have the same toxic raid scene once there's actually something worth fighting over, I've got bad news for you.

pivo
05-12-2020, 11:46 AM
When you're under level 12 you are broke all the time, that's the way things are.

Get to 40+ and you'll see all that fine steel to vendor for plat.

Hey don't scare me, I'm playing slow and enjoying the trip, not rushing toward latest levels, with 4 toons and limited time, I will be in 40 in several years. Or later ;)

No it is all good, I will find some one to unload bone chips to, nice way or with force LMAO!

And I started to see some life too, two lvl3 players, nice, and Elvma (from Kitties) come by and buffed us all up. Thank you, Elvma! She offered money too, but I was not going to be greedy, so I politely refused it. Crushbone on green is constantly crowded. I will probably have easiest harvesting time on Blue. (in a month or three lol)

Visual
05-12-2020, 11:48 AM
All the quality of life improvements like ducking spells

kjs86z
05-12-2020, 12:00 PM
Blue is like going to the pool early in the morning. The regulars are there and the lanes are all free.

Green is like going to the pool on a hot Saturday afternoon. Everyone and their dog is there. Kids are peeing in the pool and the lifeguards whistle is always blowing.

I play both, but they’re different atmospheres.

pivo
05-12-2020, 01:16 PM
All the quality of life improvements like ducking spells

No sure I understand you ;)

tpgramlich
05-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Hey don't scare me, I'm playing slow and enjoying the trip, not rushing toward latest levels, with 4 toons and limited time, I will be in 40 in several years. Or later ;)

No it is all good, I will find some one to unload bone chips to, nice way or with force LMAO!

And I started to see some life too, two lvl3 players, nice, and Elvma (from Kitties) come by and buffed us all up. Thank you, Elvma! She offered money too, but I was not going to be greedy, so I politely refused it. Crushbone on green is constantly crowded. I will probably have easiest harvesting time on Blue. (in a month or three lol)

If I could give you one bit of advice, take the money or any other items/assistance offered by high level players. It's not being greedy (as long as you thank them). Like everyone has basically said, at low levels on your first character, it's hard to get money. We all know that and that's likely why they offered.

I remember when i first started out, a kind person giving me a Black Alloy Longsword and 50 plat was game changing. To that person giving you the gift, it's generally nothing. It may seem like a large sum of money to you but when folks are out there paying tens or hundreds of thousands of plat for high end items, that 30 or 50 plat they may be offering you is insignificant to them.

It's like giving a couple bucks to a kid in an undeveloped country, nothing to you but big to them. It's all about perspective. :)

pivo
05-13-2020, 08:04 AM
If I could give you one bit of advice, take the money or any other items/assistance offered by high level players. It's not being greedy (as long as you thank them).

OK will do.

But I think I'm good now. I sold 1 stack of bone chips and from Kobolds I got lots of vendor trash that I have now over 20 platina and about to ding 8. So I probably have for most important spells for playing 8-11 harvesting CB belts which i will use for leveling.

At lvl11 I will go to Minotaurs, I tried with my Druid on Green and no problem, Magician should be even easier. There drops axes for 3 platina. Those axes should give me platina for lvl 12 spells. After that, I'm good, then money gets easier. :D

Besides, I have stack or two of bone chips and spider silk with me, just in case I see someone buying them... :p

stewe
05-13-2020, 08:55 AM
Only plebs on blue think it is better so of course they will say it is, this is even posted in the blue forum so DUH. The real way to see what the p99 community likes better is to look at the numbers and green has a bigger playerbase. Hell most of the p99 community doesnt even come to these forums to begin with so just read the numbers, they dont lie.

pivo
05-13-2020, 11:45 AM
Only plebs on blue think it is better so of course they will say it is, this is even posted in the blue forum so DUH.

Well, the question wasn't which one is better. I tried to figure out, if it is worth starting a toon on Blue also.

In my case, it is. Leveling is easier/faster, since there is less competition for good spots. I will play on both and you can play on Green only and we are all happy ;)

Baler
05-13-2020, 03:06 PM
It has all the content P99 offers.

pivo
05-14-2020, 12:45 PM
How quickly things change! I worried that I will not be able to get money for spells. But then i sold stack of bone chips. And kobolds gave me several cracked staves. Then I went to Orc (CB) to get belts for leveling up. I didn't expect there would be any belt buyers. Wrong!

I'm now just about to ding lvl11 at Minotaurs and I have over 90 platina already. Enough for lvl12 spells and then some. And after that i can harvest sisters. And no camping problems, cool ;-)

Allishia
05-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Blue has more dragons! :p

strongNpretty
05-14-2020, 03:30 PM
All 3 servers are good for their own reasons :)

pivo
06-09-2020, 08:35 PM
Today I loaded custom ui skin, QQUI. Boy, how nice it is! Semi transparent, much more efficient space, basically it is gorgeous, you can see the whole screen even with all windows displayed, and I can finally read the text. It is just perfect. Someone put a lot of work & thought into this one. Great work, thank you! Makes me want to play blue only. And I have 3 toons on green and only one on blue.

Btw, default/original one, has meditate button. I was clicking that button to mediate for many levels. Only with new skin I've learned I didn't have to...

I can see exactly how much XP I'm getting per kill, to evaluate if I'm doing more damage than my pet. percentages instead of numbers, just perfect!

I'm going to miss this UI on green now...

p.s.
Looks like there are few other custom UI available. I'm using QQUI for casters. Is there any one better for casters than this one? Hard to believe that anything could be bettered. :)

p.p.s
Oooo, there is a fork of QQUI? Gotta check this one out!

Philistine
06-09-2020, 10:24 PM
For me it was mainly that, after a year on Blue, my two main guys were finally starting to get geared and leveled to where they were a ton of fun to play when green launched. To restart on Green would have required another year to get back to where I was having a really good time with it again. I wanted to try new classes and new zones, and I'm still able to do that on Blue.

Fammaden
06-09-2020, 10:50 PM
Check out duxa ui.

Snaggles
06-09-2020, 11:51 PM
If you want to play a melee blue is so much better. No hybrid penalties (40% on green). Cheap weapons make the game just easier to live with. It’s not “easy” on blue but when you can buy a .75 ratio weapon for a couple hundred plat or a couple .5 ratio weapons for 1k those xp npcs die way easier. Oh and rangers can even fear kite animals on blue.

If you are genuinely new don’t be afraid to kindly. Half of us have stuff sitting in the bank we would love to to pay forward.

kaizersoze
06-10-2020, 12:14 AM
There's more to do, more loot to collect and more places to go.

Trexller
06-10-2020, 01:28 AM
well if you want to see velious soon, play blue.

on green you will have to wait for like 2 years or so. (green timeline may change, it already has)

Like most of these guys have said, Blue is the completed project that Rog-Bog initially started to build, while Green is the fruition of that project which is to follow a set timeline (sort of)

Blue will simply have many more opportunities for Gear, weapons, and places to go.

At green launch the blue server took a big population hit, which has rebounded pretty well.

These days the blue server is pretty much always ~75% of green server population.

So to play blue or not to play, that is the question...

Its all just down to the EverQuest experience that you want

kjs86z
06-10-2020, 09:06 AM
blue has more to offer

Loadsamoney
06-10-2020, 06:42 PM
I have a counter question to the original question.

Once Green catches up to Blue in content, how will the two servers differ?

Trexller
06-10-2020, 06:49 PM
I have a counter question to the original question.

Once Green catches up to Blue in content, how will the two servers differ?

They won't differ at all.

After green catches up to blue in content, expect a merger into the blue server within a year.

Then a new green progression server will launch (so they say is the plan right now)

Loadsamoney
06-10-2020, 06:51 PM
They won't differ at all.

After green catches up to blue in content, expect a merger into the blue server within a year.

Then a new green progression server will launch (so they say is the plan right now)

So Green is, in essence, going the Diablo 2 route and is going to be like a Ladder server, where once it catches up in content and plays it for a bit, it will merge into the Non-Ladder Blue server and everyone will have to start over again?

pivo
06-12-2020, 10:19 PM
There's more to do, more loot to collect and more places to go.

Yes, I like Blue more and more. Soon toon on Blue will be the highest level of all my toons.

p.s.
Are you the real kaizersoze or imposter? ;) :D

pivo
06-13-2020, 10:43 PM
I got 4 Shralock Packs on Blue in the same time I got 1 on Green. Blue better ;)

White_knight
06-13-2020, 11:32 PM
Have toons on Blue that let me log in and play casually.

Why spend 1,000,000 hours getting to the same stage you will be on Blue in a few years for the sake of doing it with a rusty dagger vrs a kunark tradeable item?

Loadsamoney
06-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Or having to wait out ten people just to get your Ancient Ring for JBoots? Or a three-hour wait to get Nybright Sisters at Lv12-13? Or a four-hour wait to get Sisters in OoT? Or a four-hour wait to get Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains?

No thanks. Blue has the perfect balance of a community to do content with, without having the life-draining competition and having to fight tooth and nail just to get a decent camp.

Though I do wonder what this Teal server nonsense is all about. We have Blue, Green, and Red, but unless I'm missing something, there's no Teal on the server list.

pivo
06-17-2020, 09:39 AM
Or having to wait out ten people just to get your Ancient Ring for JBoots? Or a three-hour wait to get Nybright Sisters at Lv12-13? Or a four-hour wait to get Sisters in OoT? Or a four-hour wait to get Hill Giants in Rathe Mountains?

Though I do wonder what this Teal server nonsense is all about. We have Blue, Green, and Red, but unless I'm missing something, there's no Teal on the server list.

About Teal, (per reading, I wasn't playing then) when Green launched, it was too busy, so they split it into two, Green and Teal. Later they were merged back into Green. If I understood correctly.

Yep, liking Blue more and more. I love custom GUI and less waiting time. Yesterday I had the whole island of Gargoyles for myself. :D

Jimjam
06-17-2020, 11:53 AM
Honestly I wish green were busier. Very rarely are groups at highpass gnolls or orcs. Aome of my favorite classic memories were at those camps.

tsuchang
06-17-2020, 12:05 PM
It's like cheeze man. Blue cheeze is good. If yer cheeze is green, not good.