PDA

View Full Version : Blue server npc ganks newbie zones

Moberly
05-04-2020, 05:54 PM
So is this a part of the norm, while in the newb area in qeynos lvl 3 was ganked by a skelly after he killed me ? Took both bags and my 2 crates and filled to the brim. Now have nothing and have to start another character. Wasnt expecting this lol.

LoricL1222
05-04-2020, 06:00 PM
npc dont take items

Moberly
05-04-2020, 06:02 PM
im just asking since when i went to loot my corpse everything was gone, i was right next to the rez spot...

Gustoo
05-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Dude you're making me think somehow you got discord full body item loot enabled and I'm all psyched now

but your body probably just disappeared buggy style / petition

mcoy
05-04-2020, 08:16 PM
Type /corpse and see if you have any other corpses in the zone. Corpses (even under level 5) don't decay for at least 24 hours (I think - it might be the same 7 day timer). If there is, you can ask a nearby necro/sk/bard to locate it for you. If there isn't - petition and the admins can restore the corpse. They usually recover them to EC but maybe if you specify you're a naked level 3 they'll pop it back in Qeynos for you.

-Mcoy

-Mcoy

Moberly
05-04-2020, 10:03 PM
thx, had created another toon, then ran across my corpse. Logged back into toon and was able to recover items. Must have been a glitch because it had disappeared earlier.

Sinistria
05-26-2020, 08:10 AM
Any of you remember (if you played it) how dieing in UO was?

The screen turned black (like when you close you eyes)
Then turns up again in black & white, you see yourself standing in a grey robe next to your corpse and see your stuff beeing pulled (like floating over the screen) out of your corpse into the mobs inventory.

Richard Garriot is a funny guy :D

Jimjam
05-26-2020, 08:26 AM
I'm gonna level with you, a level 3 character naked is better than a level 1 character with 5 bread, milk and a shortsword*.

Punch gnoll pups for a rusty dagger and get back on track.

loramin
05-26-2020, 10:57 AM
I'm gonna level with you, a level 3 character naked is better than a level 1 character with 5 bread, milk and a shortsword*.

Punch gnoll pups for a rusty dagger and get back on track.

Work that unarmed skill ;)

But seriously OP, there's a "trick" you might want to use while you're starting. It will require giving up one of your six hotbar slots (if you're on Green; on Blue you get ten so it's less of a big deal), but it will pretty much guarantee that you can always find your corpse when you die.

Make a macro that calls /loc and sense heading (you can call sense heading from a macro with /doability 1, if sense heading is your first ability)
Put that macro in a hotbar slot
Hit ALT + O to open the options, and click the Keys tab. On that tab find the key for whichever hotbar button you put your macro in, and bind it to the same key you use to turn left or right (eithe "a"/"d" or "left"/"right")

Now that you've done that, every time you press left (or right) you will log a "loc" (location coordinates) for where you just were. As an added bonus, you'll also attempt to Sense Heading, which will help you raise that skill. Now whenever you die unexpectedly, you'll have a loc from the last time you turned left/right, which should be very close to where you died, so you'll be able to find your corpse again.

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 11:16 AM

Then turns up again in black & white, you see yourself standing in a grey robe next to your corpse and see your stuff beeing pulled (like floating over the screen) out of your corpse into the mobs inventory.

Speaking of UO, I have a newbie question. Something changed, or seemed to change, in the 2000s. I am not knowledgeable with this so.. was it voxels or just an artstyle change?

from this
https://i.imgur.com/mheNVXK.jpg?1

to something like this
https://i.imgur.com/6VoiZYX.jpg

Jimjam
05-26-2020, 12:23 PM
bind a key to /loc

This is a great trick!

Also it's worth keeping a spare rusty weapon in the bank at low levels... the stuff you have on your corpse isn't worth that much, sometimes it is faster to 'get back on the horse' by grabbing your banked weapon than trying to retrieve your stuck/lost corpse.

Sinistria
05-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Speaking of UO, I have a newbie question. Something changed, or seemed to change, in the 2000s. I am not knowledgeable with this so.. was it voxels or just an artstyle change?

from this
https://i.imgur.com/mheNVXK.jpg?1

to something like this
https://i.imgur.com/6VoiZYX.jpg

wow

No idea.

The first screenshot is a customized building. You just buy a foundation and then build from a big toolbox that houst what you like.

The second screenshot looks more like minecraft to me ;)

I am just playing on Vetus-Mundus from time to time and there it looks the classic way (like it does on live, i know from a friend)

And sorry for being off topic :D

Grimstrike
05-26-2020, 06:25 PM
npc dont take items

Pirate NPCs do indeed steal items, but it is only if you drop said item on the ground.

Try it on Sister Island in OOT, there is a lvl15 pirate up the hill behind the huts as soon as you get off the boat. You drop items on the ground and he will steal them, since you can kill him and his corpse will not have your items.

Mblake81
05-26-2020, 07:07 PM
wow

No idea.

The first screenshot is a customized building. You just buy a foundation and then build from a big toolbox that houst what you like.

The second screenshot looks more like minecraft to me ;)

I am just playing on Vetus-Mundus from time to time and there it looks the classic way (like it does on live, i know from a friend)

And sorry for being off topic :D

Well, the question is confused on my part because I don't know exactly what I am asking about.

Outside of old engines vs. new engines I am curious where that old artstyle found in games in the mid to late 90s went. Maybe it was an engine change over the years (no specific game, those were just examples) and they can no longer make that sort of art or the artists themselves changed with the market and the old ways fell out of favor.

We still have sword & sorcery games from time to time. My eye sees a difference in them. Maybe its like Diablo 1 vs. Diablo 3... I guess.. Nevermind, I am not making any sense.

Old_PVP
05-26-2020, 08:35 PM

You got me all misty eyed with nostalgia. UO was a helluva game. I remember getting murdered a lot... the last words I often saw... "Corp Por".

Sinistria
05-27-2020, 03:15 AM
Well, the question is confused on my part because I don't know exactly what I am asking about.

Outside of old engines vs. new engines I am curious where that old artstyle found in games in the mid to late 90s went. Maybe it was an engine change over the years (no specific game, those were just examples) and they can no longer make that sort of art or the artists themselves changed with the market and the old ways fell out of favor.

We still have sword & sorcery games from time to time. My eye sees a difference in them. Maybe its like Diablo 1 vs. Diablo 3... I guess.. Nevermind, I am not making any sense.

Ah, now i think i have it.

I don't no either, it realy seems the oldschool look of games is not the taste of the majority of players. It is probably us old fashioned ones that like it.

Still there are some game following this oldschool path but mostly they are smaller in content and from smaller publishers.

I liked to play PIXEL HEROES: BYTE & MAGIC for a bit. Quite simple but not that easy to finish. (I never did)

And lucky us, there are freeshards like P1999 (praise the devs) and UO has a lot of different freeshards as well. Some with XP boosts.
Llike UO-forever, where there is a nice interview with Richard Garriot from the shards 5. anniversary where he is telling how they experienced how player swarm all over the world and killing everything after they tried to balance out the fauna.

Or his discussion with a thief... Also there is Lord Blackthorn. Quite nice to watch the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hSkPvNtrg

Very nice funny video.

I think we are doomed to play our old elf-sims over and over again.

But that is kind of 1. world problem.

Since there are so many nice people here it could be worse.

... it could rain :D

Sinistria
05-27-2020, 03:16 AM
You got me all misty eyed with nostalgia. UO was a helluva game. I remember getting murdered a lot... the last words I often saw... "Corp Por".

Hahaha yes.

Kal Vas Flam (longer time till spell effect hits you)

followed by a Corp Por

uuhhhuuuuu

*Blackscreen* :D

Baler
05-27-2020, 09:45 AM
you see yourself standing in a grey robe

:cool:

Sinistria
05-27-2020, 11:37 AM
https://i.imgur.com/CBhHDpV.gif

Gustoo
05-27-2020, 01:15 PM
All wandering NPC's in everquest can pick up items. Thats why drop transferring is dangerous and unregulated lol

loramin
05-27-2020, 01:32 PM
All wandering NPC's in everquest can pick up items. Thats why drop transferring is dangerous and unregulated lol

Technically I don't think that's where the real risk comes in though (here at least). If you drop transfer and an NPC grabs your item, I believe you can /petition to get it reimbursed. It might take quite awhile, so you do lose your item, but only temporarily.

The real risk is that another player might grab it, because then you can't get it reimbursed. I've heard that the staff might give you the name of the player who grabbed it, so you can beg them for it back, but they're not in any way obligated to.

Gustoo
05-28-2020, 02:32 PM
Shouldn't count on petitions returning items that NPC's picked up due to your bad drop transferring but yeah.