PDA

View Full Version : lvl8+ what to give pet summoned dagger or summoned staff

pivo
05-04-2020, 12:12 PM
I got to lvl8 and now I'm wondering which weapon to give my pet, summoned dagger from lvl1 spell or lvl8 spell: Staff of Tracing.

My first though was to give him Staff of Tracing, since it has higher damage plus extra light at night can't hurt ;)

But then I saw this guide recommends lvl1 dagger: "Make sure to give your pet a magical weapon (Summon Dagger) so it can hit the earth elementals!" at lvl8 leveling section: http://wiki.project1999.com/Afid%27s_Beginner_Magician_Leveling_Guide_(1-20)

So, I'm curious, why is lower damage preferred?

Btw, I Mage has vendor bought fast dagger, per memory 24 or 25 delay. Should I use this dagger or spell Staff of Tracing?

I hope I didn't waste platina on useless spell lol

Another question, guide mention: "The drakes and earth elementals drop gems and other items that sell for 8 gold to 8 plat each."

These items are to be sold to vendors or to players for upper mentioned amount?

Guesty07
05-04-2020, 12:26 PM
Sold the vendors. At level 8 the best weapon to give to your pet is the highest damage weapon you can get your hands on, usually a rusty 2 handed sword. This is because pets use the weapons damage value but not its delay. So your pet will hit for 2x the damage of the weapon you give it. Rusty 2 handed is 9(?) Damage so will hit for 18, whilst still retaining your pets normal attack delay. You will eventually realise that your pets innate damage values out match the damage you can (easily and cost effectively) give it from weapons. The magical part is so that your pet can hit creatures that magical weapons are required for. I'm pretty sure the staff of tracing is also a magical weapon.

Tallika
05-05-2020, 12:45 PM
Rusty Halberd is the best trash weapon to give your pet, he'll hit hard

Tenloar
05-06-2020, 01:00 AM
Low Level pets (Pre-20) really shine with a 2 Handed Weapon.
Seek out Rusty Halberds (best), Rusty Two Handed Sword/Rusty Two Handed Battle Axe (2nd best) and Rusty Scythe (Decent). Scout out any Skeletons (Decaying are the easiest) or vendors for these weapons.

Pets become super strong killing machines, as pets dont factor in the Delay portion of the weapon and can easily hit for 21 max damage with the Rusty Halberd (and scaling downward per other weapons listed respectively)

Of course once the pet level gets to 20+, dual wielding is better for the pet

Jimjam
05-06-2020, 01:20 AM
Find halberds and sharpen them. Level 1 enc pet was hitting for 23 damage with tarnished halberd and the strength buff.

Vaarsuvius
05-06-2020, 05:46 AM
I'll second what others have said:

try & get rusty from vendors rusty scythes/ halberds / 2 handed hammers | axes | swords (more expensive) and give one to your pet.
But remember to cause at least 50% of damage to mobs or your harder hitting pet will get half the xp.

And stay away from of elementals, mummies & will o wisps until your pets are considered magic and can hit them

Tenloar
05-06-2020, 05:50 AM
If youre really worried about Magic Damage, you could always ask a +34 Magician to summon you a Staff of Symbols (http://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_Symbols). It has the same damage as a Rusty Halberd and is considered Magic. These are Lore so what I typically do is give one to pet and then hold onto one as a backup in case I die or need to zone.

Jimjam
05-06-2020, 06:18 AM
Doesn’t even need to be a weapon btw. Just a primary/secondary slot item tagged as magic. A bunch of summoned ac stones... fill all the slots with them. Npcs don’t care.

pivo
05-09-2020, 09:05 PM
Thank you everyone, for your responses. You answered all my additional questions. I was wondering, one handed, two handed... So mage pet gets duo yielding after 20, good to know. I wrote down your suggestions, best, second best... and I will be on a look out for them.

Bottom line, that staff spell purchase was probably waste of money. Although it is nice that it lights up the area at night in mine or pet's hand ;)

I do have one off topic (sort of) question. My necro pet can dual yield at lvl 6 (and probably earlier, but I didn't think to pass him two weapons before to try). Say I have 2 times 5-6 damage weapons and say, one 2H 8 or 9 damage item. Should I gave necro pet two lower damage weapons that combined have more damage than higher damage 2H weapon?

Tenloar
05-09-2020, 09:17 PM
The pet may hold a weapon in each hand at level 1, although he will not use the weapon offensively. The pet will only use the primary weapon given to it.
I believe it will begin to dual wield properly with your +20 pet summons.
Most 1-handers you come across will do less damage than a 2-hander, hence the 2-handed suggestion.

Blingy
05-10-2020, 01:26 AM
Alternatively make a fire pet then give it whatever armor you find on mobs. That beasts innate damage shield will destroy mobs and the armor will make the mobs hit for less.

pivo
05-10-2020, 05:51 AM
The pet may hold a weapon in each hand at level 1, although he will not use the weapon offensively. The pet will only use the primary weapon given to it.
I believe it will begin to dual wield properly with your +20 pet summons.
Most 1-handers you come across will do less damage than a 2-hander, hence the 2-handed suggestion.

Ahh, this is how it works, thanks!

pivo
05-10-2020, 05:52 AM
Alternatively make a fire pet then give it whatever armor you find on mobs. That beasts innate damage shield will destroy mobs and the armor will make the mobs hit for less.

will give it a try, thanks