PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Solo?

Jorvaar
04-30-2020, 11:54 AM
Interested in rolling a cleric as I like to heal. I mainly want to group but I'd like to have the option to solo if I can't.

What do you think?

Tilien
04-30-2020, 11:59 AM
I've done a lot of cleric solo, Swish has a guide for it. Pre-kunark it's possible through 50 but a lot of your spots will be in high competition. Unrest 20-39 basically, then specters through 44, lower guk to 50. Specs can technically get you to 50 too, I think.

In Kunark it's viable at a decent rate until 50 or so with a lot more options. 50+ you can afk grind (ie, 1 kill very 6-10 minutes while you're doing other stuff) if you get a decent spot, but active killing is *basically* off the table.

Manastone makes it more viable.

Kich867
04-30-2020, 11:59 AM
I'd just do it. Don't let people tell you how to play the game. I'm playing a solo-self-found dwarf warrior because its fun.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 12:31 PM
Viable. Even starting naked. Nuke undead. Don't let people push you around because you're nuking undead. U can even nuke living stuff and fight wisps with your magic summoned hammer at lvl 14 or w/e. This pretty effectively till 40 or so, even after but the exp slows down. Consider the undead camps in nektulous and the undead wandering oasis, and s ro as alternatives to unrest.

+max wis if u want a swift journey, twink a melee weapon if u want a slower more face tanky journey.

You can spec evoke, and then respec to alteration with this quest http://wiki.project1999.com/Respecialization if you are so inclined. It should literally take about an hr of your time to respec once you decide to. In casting your minor heal 300 times. Fear is alteration as well... and fear + nuke is the best way to solo. Don't worry about snaring, just find a spot u can chain cast fear in. Use panic or the short 3 tick fears if you don't want to chase mobs too far.

it's entirely possible you will become 'adopted' by a few leveling partners before you are even level 30, this happened to me everytime i played a cleric

just about any shield helps u not die instantly at low lvl

loramin
04-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Did it with my Cleric too (he's 41 now). Now to be clear, I randomly joined a Cazic Thule group once, and got an entire level in well under half the time it would have taken me to get solo. In other words, just to be clear, soloing as a Cleric is very much not the fastest way to get a high level Cleric!

But, if you're like me and just want a more interesting solo challenge, solo Cleric can be a lot of fun. If you can afford it I'd recommend a Fungi and a Velium Crystal Staff (and maybe an FBSS or SCHW) to speed up the low levels, but beyond that twinking won't do a ton for a Cleric (of coure, 6/65 rings and similar gear certainly won't hurt). Oh, and also one of those Braziers of elemental summoning can make the early levels fly by (I love using those to "PL" all my new toons to 10 or so).

As for a leveling path, if you want to follow mine the https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide (click Cleric at the top) actually has a decent one up to 40 or so. Basically you start with scarecrows in WK, move on to Lake Rathe (at night) and Rathe Mountains (during the day), and then head over to Tower of Frozen Shadow and do its first two levels.

You cold keep doing ToFS, but CRs on the third level up are a giant PITA (heck even level 2 is super annoying unless you have an alt parked nearby to help get you the key). I'm now exploring City of Mist, but I want to go back to TT and try the undead soon (at 41 they were blue, but too high to solo). If anyone has any other good level 41 suggestions I'd love to hear them.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 12:41 PM
CoM was the best exp I ever had solo on my red99 cleric. Lull made it pretty straightfoward, bring a few invis pots to get past the dumb golems.

Camp out any bad pulls, be patient, and use lull root and /camp to split mobs.

Jorvaar
04-30-2020, 12:51 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great advice! Seems like I'm good to go with my cleric. :)

Really appreciate your help guys!

I'll be sure to follow your guides.

kjs86z
04-30-2020, 12:58 PM
Also note you can proactively form your own groups instead of having to wait for one.

/who all (level range here) and start sending tells!

loramin
04-30-2020, 01:15 PM
Karnors is only good because of the PUGs.

Yeah, everyone talks about Karnor's like it's the greatest place ever, and also like Field of Bone is the best n00bie zone ever. If other people like them that's cool, and I don't mean to disagree, but personally I was having no fun at all playing my Iksar Necromancer in either zone. Then I got him ported to Karana, started murdering humans (there's a great camp for 13-15 in the northwest corner of WK) ... and I began having a blast with my Necro!

Based on everyone loving both zones so much here in the forum, I personally was disappointed by FoB/Karnor's, and I'm really glad I left when I did instead of trying to "power through them". But YMMV.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 01:15 PM
FM is right next door to karnors and so is FV lol???? melee bind in both...

Continent Zone Limited Area
Antonica Arena
Antonica Freeport
Antonica Grobb
Antonica Halas
Antonica High Keep
Antonica Highpass Hold
Antonica Neriak
Antonica Northern Plains of Karana Gypsy Camp (#6) (Not until March 2001 patch)
Antonica Oggok
Antonica Qeynos
Antonica Rivervale
Antonica Surefall Glade
Faydwer Ak'Anon
Faydwer Felwithe
Faydwer Greater Faydark Entire zone bindable including Kelethin
Faydwer Kaladim
Odus Erudin
Odus Paineel
Kunark Cabilis
Kunark City of Mist
Kunark Field of Bone Ruins outside of Kaesora (#6) (Not until March 2001 patch)
Kunark Firiona Vie Anywhere inside the Elven outpost and docks (#11)
Kunark Frontier Mountains Empty Ruins (#6) (Not until March 2001 patch)
Kunark Overthere Evil Outpost (#1-4)
Velious Kael Drakkal Only restricted areas near the zone entrances are bindable for anyone. [2]
Velious Skyshrine
Velious Thurgadin Icewell is no longer bindable.
Velious Iceclad Ocean The Docks @ Approx +5000, 0

I hate karnors ... bad exp, lots of trains, poor zone design, too many people trying to solo stuff like tstaff no one respects that evils have drolvarg faction with the sentries....

loramin
04-30-2020, 01:18 PM
FM is right next door to karnors and so is FV lol???? melee bind in both...

"Right next door" is a little bit of an exaggeration, but also ... I thought you could bind at the Kaesora ruins as a melee in FOB? Am I misremembering that?

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 01:22 PM
"Right next door" is a little bit of an exaggeration, but also ... I thought you could bind at the Kaesora ruins as a melee in FOB? Am I misremembering that?

you can, FM is 1 zone away from Karnors......

loramin
04-30-2020, 01:26 PM
FM is 1 zone away from Karnors......

I must be missing something: what 1 zone connects FM and FoB? You can go to LOIO, then go through Cabilis, but I don't see any single zone that directly connects the two.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 01:43 PM
I must be missing something: what 1 zone connects FM and FoB? You can go to LOIO, then go through Cabilis, but I don't see any single zone that directly connects the two.

i think we are confusing karnos and keasora...

u can bind right outside kaesora

and u can bind in fm which is like nexto DL... if heading to karnors....

suprised cand bind in dreadlands at the combine outpost with the skeles in the druid/wiz port area....?

anyway binds are pretty convienient in this game, convienient enough i would definately nerf caster binds to only the current bindable locations

Zephire
04-30-2020, 01:54 PM
Interested in rolling a cleric as I like to heal. I mainly want to group but I'd like to have the option to solo if I can't.

What do you think?

49 3/4 Cleric here

Solo'ing is viable from lvl 1 to about 25 or so. Undead are your primary targets as fighting living mobs isn't our forte.

After that I spent a majority of my time grouping. It's the most viable exp until you get into your 40's at which time you're going to go back to Undead. I hit Spectres at lvl 44 (some people go in sooner but I found it wasn't efficient until 44) Then it's easy street until you hit 50. For reference I did lvl 45 over two play sessions for a total time of 12.5 hours.

So, solo'ing is out there. But at a certain point you're going to want to group.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 01:55 PM
I dinged 29 on a gnome cleric on live... in LOIO pre-velious...

on green i wouldnt mess around trying to solo so much u will have a hard time fighting over spawns with all the necros and mages running about thinking they will farm 40 guises.

Crede
04-30-2020, 03:24 PM
49 3/4 Cleric here

Solo'ing is viable from lvl 1 to about 25 or so. Undead are your primary targets as fighting living mobs isn't our forte.

This simply is not true.

Unrest hag tower, which can be done 29-40 solo, is some of the best xp out there, and will likely trump any group xp unless you're in an optimized duo/trio. From there you can move into specs/lguk undead side/TT spectral keepers which can take you into the early/mid 50s with ease.

The option to solo as a cleric is always there, just have to know where to hunt.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 03:29 PM
This simply is not true.

Unrest hag tower, which can be done 29-40 solo, is some of the best xp out there, and will likely trump any group xp unless you're in an optimized duo/trio. From there you can move into specs/lguk undead side/TT spectral keepers which can take you into the early/mid 50s with ease.

The option to solo as a cleric is always there, just have to know where to hunt.

agreed yup - just not that hard, requires a little attentiveness, can be a bit enduring but still great exp

loramin
04-30-2020, 03:43 PM
This simply is not true.

Having not soloed Unrest hag tower I can't say for certain ... but based on the experience I was getting in a CT pyramid group, I would be amazed if any Cleric solo spot could possibly beat it. Clerics simply don't kill that fast on their own.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 03:47 PM
Having not soloed Unrest hag tower I can't say for certain ... but based on the experience I was getting in a CT pyramid group, I would be amazed if any Cleric solo spot could possibly beat it. Clerics simply don't kill that fast on their own.

hags have low hp and are easy to interrupt they die pretty easily )

Kich867
04-30-2020, 03:48 PM

That may be true, but thats very predicated on having a genuinely good and efficient group. Clean pulls, no interruptions, etc. I often like soloing because I know I'll be efficient with my time, even if the XP/hour is potentially less, it's often higher because group dynamics are more complicated and have more moving parts. Tank goes AFK, someone has to leave and you can't find a replacement, someone accidentally over pulls causing a train to zone, players aren't efficient with their mana and require more time medding than they should, etc.

Being in a very good group in a very good XP zone the game is super trivialized but I just so rarely happen into that. I find I consistently make more progress in tight-knight duos or trios or just soloing.

Zephire
04-30-2020, 04:53 PM
Good luck finding hags not camped

The OPTION to solo may be there, but that doesn't mean it's the most efficient way to do it.

Zephire
04-30-2020, 05:02 PM

I agree 100%. I did pyramid camp in my mid 30's and got three levels in one sitting. Low stress, easy exp and great loot. No way hags can compare to that.. and that's if you can even get the camp

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 05:04 PM
had 2 good groups at pyramid and 3 real bad ones over the years....

Zephire
04-30-2020, 05:04 PM
"Being in a very good group in a very good XP zone the game is super trivialized but I just so rarely happen into that

That's why you group up and make friends with the good ones :) I've got a healthy friends list and I like to think I do a good job healing as I constantly get /tell for groups from people that have grouped with me in the past.

magnetaress
04-30-2020, 05:06 PM
"Being in a very good group in a very good XP zone the game is super trivialized but I just so rarely happen into that

That's why you group up and make friends with the good ones :) I've got a healthy friends list and I like to think I do a good job healing as I constantly get /tell for groups from people that have grouped with me in the past.

I would like to point out that some of us are not the most socially inclined, that doesn't mean we 'should not play a cleric'.

badthingfactory
05-01-2020, 01:31 PM
I'd just do it. Don't let people tell you how to play the game. I'm playing a solo-self-found dwarf warrior because its fun.

Are you the guy I've been watching on Twitch for the past week?

Kich867
05-01-2020, 01:35 PM
Are you the guy I've been watching on Twitch for the past week?

;)

scifo76
05-11-2020, 05:50 AM
Before reaching level 40 (when Dawnstar can proc), is there a similar undead nuke proc weapon that a soloing cleric can use?

loramin
05-11-2020, 11:08 AM
Before reaching level 40 (when Dawnstar can proc), is there a similar undead nuke proc weapon that a soloing cleric can use?

It's not undead-specific but https://wiki.project1999.com/Velium%20Crystal%20Staff works from level 1.

FTN806
05-11-2020, 11:44 AM
I always had a great time soloing on a Cleric. There is an abundance of zombies and skeletons in Norrath, and a ton of unique or unconventional camps to be made.

Gustoo
05-11-2020, 04:33 PM
I did hags, spectres, lower guks

Never did pyramid maybe would be cool for next time.

Can't imagine slow mo soloing cleric on a server playing like green is right now.

kaizersoze
05-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Befallen - kurns - unrest - kaesora / lower guk / howling stones. could theoretically go from 1-60