PDA

View Full Version : Classes that are currently in demand

bigups43
05-04-2011, 01:19 AM
The title pretty much sums it up. Im just wondering whats in need right now. I have a 21 mage, 8 bard, and 8 monk, and Im wondering which one to start playing again in order to be desirable to groups.

My guess out of the three, would be bard.

gnomishfirework
05-04-2011, 02:03 AM
You'll be fine with a bard. Wizards are in real demand.

Bruman
05-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Monks are in really short supply.

soup
05-04-2011, 03:19 AM
Monks are in really short supply.

Monks are INCREDIBLY common. Monks who knows how to do their job (pulling) very well are far less common.

With that said, both monks and bards are highly desired. Bards are much less common but quality players for either class are about equally common.

Magician is much less desired in groups, but can still be a decent addition, as well as being a great character to have for soloing when you can't find a group. Geared monks can be amazing soloers as well, and I know bards have some powerful solo capabilities, but I can't really comment on them since I have limited bard experience.

bigups43
05-04-2011, 04:07 AM
Ill probably level up my bard then. My main back on Innoruuk was a 70 bard, so Ive def got some exp under my belt haha.

Supaskillz
05-04-2011, 05:07 AM
monks and mages are both very common. Bards just are not that popular for groups, they usually are a 2nd choice CC or filler dps. However bards are in short supply for raid scene and are important there

falkun
05-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Bards are retarded easy on this server:

1) Get to lvl 20
2) Go to OT
3) ???
4) Ding lvl 46

Messianic
05-04-2011, 08:11 AM
You'll be fine with a bard. Wizards are in real demand.

Too bad wizards aren't that great in groups. Wizards are desired and in high demand for raids, to be accurate.

Warnie
05-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Why aren't wizards desired for groups? Not enough utility to go with the dps?

Cheers

falkun
05-04-2011, 08:24 AM
The fact that their sustained DPS is inferior to most other DPS classes, even mages. Welcome to the world where min-maxing meets Everquest.

Savok
05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Ill probably level up my bard then. My main back on Innoruuk was a 70 bard, so Ive def got some exp under my belt haha.

Who was your main Bard on Innoruuk? (old Inny bard here)

Messianic
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Why aren't wizards desired for groups? Not enough utility to go with the dps?

Cheers

The fact that their sustained DPS is inferior to most other DPS classes, even mages. Welcome to the world where min-maxing meets Everquest.

That. It's okay - I still love playing my wizard. I just know the numbers tell me i'm clearly not as much of a contributor to a nuclear group that a rogue would be - not that wiz snare and my 5 billion stuns aren't a lot of help, in addition to dropping caster/healer mobs in split seconds - but if you just need misc DPS (which is usually the case if a wizard is even a choice), it's typically better to go rogue/mage/necro/etc.

I'd say other than frontloading our damage quickly, our best strength is stunning the garbage out of single mobs. It's definitely not efficient and its debatable whether the wizard is just better off nuking than chain stunning, but it might keep a tank alive.

Root-park? Sure, we can do that fine (and have a few really long-lasting roots), but there are way better classes for it that you'll probably already have (enchanter, shaman, druid) don't need to use peridots to prevent getting owned and needing heals.

falkun
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
That. It's okay - I still love playing my wizard. I just know the numbers tell me i'm clearly not as much of a contributor to a nuclear group that a rogue would be - not that wiz snare and my 5 billion stuns aren't a lot of help, in addition to dropping caster/healer mobs in split seconds - but if you just need misc DPS (which is usually the case if a wizard is even a choice), it's typically better to go rogue/mage/necro/etc.

I'd say other than frontloading our damage quickly, our best strength is stunning the garbage out of single mobs. It's definitely not efficient and its debatable whether the wizard is just better off nuking than chain stunning, but it might keep a tank alive.

Root-park? Sure, we can do that fine (and have a few really long-lasting roots), but there are way better classes for it that you'll probably already have (enchanter, shaman, druid) don't need to use peridots to prevent getting owned and needing heals.

I wasn't trying to say wizards are a useless class, that's why I put the min-maxing thing in. Honestly, a scrub group of classes played by good players will beat the shit out of and have more fun than some scrub-normal skill-level group of pures.

Moral of the story: get some friends that know what they're doing and ignore this "must has fastest exp NAOW" attitude. Enjoy the journey, because you're not taking any items when you leave.

bigups43
05-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey my bard was "Feud". I was in Ashen Vendetta for a bit. You?

stormlord
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
The fact that their sustained DPS is inferior to most other DPS classes, even mages. Welcome to the world where min-maxing meets Everquest.I think people like you are responsible for the brain dead raids/encounters where dps is the single most important factor. You eat it up like a dog. Outside of a controlled environment where powergamers min/max, chaos rules and wizards being able to drop a mob fast is useful when things go wrong. They can evac. They can port. What am I missing. When the sh** hits the fan you need versatility and the powergaming groups when taken outside their element fall to pieces. They want to powergame and be versatile too at no cost. No different than any other player I've seen in my time. We all want our cake even after we've eaten it. Developers are as bound by this insanity as the bean counters are. It's a row of dominos that fall one after the other. Bottom line, the craziness starts with us, the payers, the players.

Somewhere in our playing we forgot to ADVENTURE and instead we powergamed. Everything was down to a science. We had it all measured. We knew exactly what we needed and when and where. We removed as much versatility as we could afford. But then when the rug was pulled from under us, we complained as though we had never made any compromises. Gasp, what a surprise! Games become too boring when everything is a science. The magic is in the unknown, the chaos, the adventure, the journey, the improvisation. Versatility and unending answers to problems are what make a good game, but somehow we forget that in the sea of numbers that's mistaken for a roleplaying game. Numbers are a means, not the end.

I really believe hte heart of EQ is meant for all to enjoy, of all creed, of all class. The game was never meant to be about X/Y/Z. It was about high adventure with a random bunch of people. We wnet out and, given our tools, we would construct an answer for whatever we confronted. That's the way it should be. The problem is that in many games the designers as much as the players get caught up in the numbers and totally forget that there's more than one way to slice cheese. There's more than one way to kill a bad guy. It should never have come this far. Tank and spank. Tanking, Healing, DPS. The empire of the triangle blinds us.

Hard to blame us. We grew up with swords, armors and healers. It's what we know.

I swear, if I ever get a chance, to help change this way of thinking. To open the floodgates.

I know i'm taking this personally. I'm not accusing you. Don't hate. To be honest, I'm blaming myself as much as others for not trying harder to change this course of events that's led us here.

I've powergamed in the past. I've raided. I'm guilty as charged.

jval2529
05-04-2011, 11:38 AM
I think people like you are responsible for the brain dead raids/encounters where dps is the single most important factor. You eat it up like a dog. Outside of a controlled environment, the kind that powergamers foster, chaos rules and wizards being able to drop a mob fast is useful when things go wrong. They can evac. They can port. What am I missing. When the sh** hits the fan you need versatility and the powergaming groups when taken outside their element fall to pieces. They want to powergame and be versatile too at no cost. No different than any other player I've seen in my time. We all want our cake even after we've eaten it. Developers are as bound by this insanity as the bean counters are. It's a row of dominos that fall one after the other. Bottom line, the craziness starts with us, the payers, the players.

funny you mention that, ALL raids in wow are like that in the fact that DPS is the single most important factor, I really can't imagine it any other way, if DPS is not high enough the healer runs out of mana and the tank dies.

Kassel
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Wizards are the most needed class no one wants to group with. Wizards can be great in a group if you get a good one who is willing to CC/Stun/spend a gem and if your group has some mana regen. Every raiding guild on the server wants more wizards. If you want to feel needed all the time, try the holy trinity or a rogue.

Dr4z3r
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Bards are great if you're the out-going type, willing to put together your own group. Bards enhance every class except for other bards, so you can just grab whoever.

On the other hand, if you don't enjoy playing a bard, it's not going to matter how easy it is to solo/get a group, because you'll be having no fun.

So, the moral of this story is play what you enjoy playing.

Fryhole
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I think people like you are responsible for the brain dead raids/encounters where dps is the single most important factor. You eat it up like a dog. Outside of a controlled environment where powergamers min/max, chaos rules and wizards being able to drop a mob fast is useful when things go wrong. They can evac. They can port. What am I missing. When the sh** hits the fan you need versatility and the powergaming groups when taken outside their element fall to pieces. They want to powergame and be versatile too at no cost. No different than any other player I've seen in my time. We all want our cake even after we've eaten it. Developers are as bound by this insanity as the bean counters are. It's a row of dominos that fall one after the other. Bottom line, the craziness starts with us, the payers, the players.

Somewhere in our playing we forgot to ADVENTURE and instead we powergamed. Everything was down to a science. We had it all measured. We knew exactly what we needed and when and where. We removed as much versatility as we could afford. But then when the rug was pulled from under us, we complained as though we had never made any compromises. Gasp, what a surprise! Games become too boring when everything is a science. The magic is in the unknown, the chaos, the adventure, the journey, the failings. Versatility and unending answers to problems are what make a good game, but somehow we forget that in the sea of numbers that's mistaken for a roleplaying game. Numbers are a means, not the end. It's a dead end.

I really believe hte heart of EQ is meant for all to enjoy, of all creed, of all class. The game was never meant to be about X/Y/Z. It was about high adventure with a random bunch of people. We wnet out and, given our tools, we would construct an answer for whatever we confronted. That's the way it should be. The problem is that in many games the designers as much as the players get caught up in the numbers and totally forget that there's more than one way to slice cheese. There's more than one way to kill a bad guy. It should never have come this far. Tank and spank. Tanking, Healing, DPS. The empire of the triangle blinds us.

You missed his last post while you were busy typing that rant. :D
I do agree with you - a lot of the magic EQ had was in the unknown. (at least for me)

Bruman
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Monks are INCREDIBLY common. Monks who knows how to do their job (pulling) very well are far less common.

I was being sarcastic :). I can't fart without it wafting into 2 or 3 other monks, and in many groups I'm 1 of 2 or 3 monks.

Harm
05-04-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm playing a wizard of late on this server. Decided I didn't want to go with a SK again, at least not as my main, not because it wouldn't be fun, but more because it seems there's already some good SKs here. So anyways, its good hear that my wizard will have a place in raids, if I get that far on that server. I can always solo to 60, there's that quad kiting thing that I want to try. Does anyone do AE groups here? I wanted to try that too.

Raavak
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Does anyone do AE groups here?

It's good work if you can get it...

Dantes
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
The server needs more Froglok Landscapers.

Duie
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
bards probally the easiest class to play. all you gotta do is get mana song and go afk w/ a farming mage!!!!!!

HAR HAR

Raavak
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM

Going offtopic a little, but I've been liking Draught of Jiva, DD with 0 sec stun, alot in dungeon groups. You have to watch for the mob to start casting, but it keeps you awake...

That's if someone will invite you to a group in the first place.

(like my segue back to the topic?)

Kender
05-04-2011, 04:15 PM
wizards get awesome in velious

soup
05-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I was being sarcastic :). I can't fart without it wafting into 2 or 3 other monks, and in many groups I'm 1 of 2 or 3 monks.

I figured you were implying something else by it than literally monks are rare, such as they never pull and just pretend to be rogues or something :D

Mcbard
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Does anyone do AE groups here?

Yes. :)

Bubbles
05-04-2011, 05:35 PM
If you have anything resembling decent playing time, and get a wizard, cleric, or rogue to raid level.

You will be in demand.

Desert
05-04-2011, 07:11 PM
funny you mention that, ALL raids in wow are like that in the fact that DPS is the single most important factor, I really can't imagine it any other way, if DPS is not high enough the healer runs out of mana and the tank dies.

Yeah...but you can't stack dps and expect to win either.

For example, on Vaelastrasz the Corrupt in bwl you literally could spew unlimited dps, heals, and threat because you had unlimited mana, rage, and energy...but that's not how you avoid wiping.

The biggest, single most important factor in wow was having a raid full of people that are paying attention and want to win.

Mcbard
05-05-2011, 02:17 PM
The biggest, single most important factor in wow was having a raid full of people that are paying attention and want to win.

From my experiences this is all it really takes in EQ as well. I sense a trend.