PDA

View Full Version : Blue: 3k Plat Wiki Challenge!

loramin
04-26-2020, 09:58 PM
What is This?

When you're starting out on Blue, a little plat can go a long way. I like to help newer players out with some plat ... but as a Shaman of the Tribunal I can't just give treasure away for free: you have to earn it, by helping your fellow players and improving the wiki!

What do I Have to Do?

In past challenges (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334356) I've focused people on specific wiki areas (eg. fashion screenshots or hunting spots). This time I'd like to try something new: you get/have to make your own wiki mission!

Find a way to improve the wiki and post about it in this thread, along with your wiki username so I can verify. You are welcome/encouraged to post your idea here first before doing the work; this is optional, but I can offer advice, mention if the wiki already has something similar, etc.

If you don't know what to do, the hunting guides (Per-Level and Treasure) always need entries, many cities still don't have starting guides, many zones haven't been "loc-mapped", tons of fashion screenshots are still needed ... just look around (and/or look at past challenges).

How Much Will I Get?

I will "judge" all submissions based on effort and accomplishment, and award up to 3k. If you post your "mission" here first before doing it I can tell you in advance.

As a simple example, adding a single very basic new hunting guide (https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level%20Hunting%20Guide) entry, with very few details, might only get you 500 plat. To get 3k plat you could add six such entries, or maybe just three entries with tons of details and some screenshots of the monsters ... or maybe even just a single entry could be enough, if it had it's own wiki page full of details and maps/screenshots (see the guides in the Hunting Spots Category (https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Hunting_Spots) for examples).

How Long do I Have?

Between now and midnight on Sunday the 3rd of May.

How do I Claim My Reward?

My Druid will deliver it to you at your choice of Druid ring. Alternatively I could also meet at most banks (we can communicate the details in the thread or via PM).

I Have Other Questions!

Post them here and I'll answer them.

I hope everyone enjoys this chance to earn a little extra spending cash while helping the wiki!

loramin
04-26-2020, 10:19 PM
P.S. Another couple ideas: https://wiki.project1999.com/Tech_Support could use tons of help (and there's a lot of information in the technical forum that could be very valuable if added to the wiki). Also if anyone is a big fan of EQ Youtube videos, http://wiki.project1999.com/Videos could use some love also.

Both of those are things that even the newest players to the server could contribute to. But again, there are also many, many other opportunities in the wiki for improvement, so don't let these ideas limit you.

aspomwell
04-27-2020, 12:22 PM
I'd like to thank Loramin for the last plat challenge he did before Green launched. I was a noob at that point and even though my submissions were late he still honored the deal and even gave me a little extra (total of 700pp).

It made a world of difference not needing to scrounge for plat each spell level. Thanks Loramin!

(stealth bump)

loramin
04-27-2020, 12:54 PM
I'd like to thank Loramin for the last plat challenge he did before Green launched. I was a noob at that point and even though my submissions were late he still honored the deal and even gave me a little extra (total of 700pp).

It made a world of difference not needing to scrounge for plat each spell level. Thanks Loramin!

(stealth bump)

:D

7thGate
04-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Hm. I might to do something for this, as my favorite part of this game is uncovering mechanics stuff. I have a number of experiments I've run over the years that gathered information that I don't think is on the wiki. Some ideas:

--Information about archery and NPC spell ranges, Z-axis behavior (Archery is not range capped at 300 range, NPC hitboxes add to range, range can exceed dragon fear)
--How to vertically climb open air with gflux and mage lev rings
--NPC vs. NPC aggro mechanics
--A map of Siren's Grotto with all the spawn points listed with a sample mob that spawns at that location, and a guide to breaking into the temple down the hole
--NPC debuff line equivalents for the Buff Lines page, based off the spell effects dat info. I've got a spreadsheet somewhere where I worked out theoretical maximum lines for debuffing AC and the various resists IIRC.
--Tradeskill information (information regarding greater than 95% success rates on deep trivial combines, tradeskill skillup modifiers for different tradeskills from stock eqemu. Would be willing to prove if Brewing matches the predicted base eqemu skillup rate here to statistically significant levels (believe it does based on personal experience, but haven't done a statistical analysis), but there's too many tradeskills for me to be willing to prove them all at different skillup levels.)
--I should probably link the Shardwing Courier quest onto the XP hunting table since it got me maybe 20% of 59, its a decent solo XP pickup for rogues or people with the right faction, even if its not really campable per se.

Jayya can't take outside plat, but I have some mechanics tests involving average root duration on specific Tashed/Maloed mobs that I would like to run, as well as a mechanics tests involving feared and rooted mobs fighting each other that I would like to run in GD between giants and dwarves. Would you be willing to pay me by assisting with those Loramin? Shouldn't be more than half an hour or so for each plus some travel time, I would expect (and I'll put the results on the wiki).

loramin
04-28-2020, 11:38 AM
--How to vertically climb open air with gflux and mage lev rings

This sounds like a great addition to the https://wiki.project1999.com/Advanced_Techniques_Guide . I'd think this could be worth 250-750, depending on how detailed you make it and whether you take the time to include a screenshot or two. 250 would be for just a few sentences (like many of the other advanced techniques), whereas 750 would be for a nice detailed description (which may even require its own separate page, as the recharging did).

--NPC debuff line equivalents for the Buff Lines page, based off the spell effects dat info. I've got a spreadsheet somewhere where I worked out theoretical maximum lines for debuffing AC and the various resists IIRC.

As the person who compiled the Buff Lines page, let me just say that while I would love to see that, and while the wiki has all the data you need, making such pages are a lot of work. Thus, even if you only made a fraction of such a page (eg. only one class's spells, or only a few "lines") it could be enough to earn the entire 3k.

But as for your spreadsheet, just be careful: if it's based on unclassic sources you may need to update it with classic data from the wiki.

A map of Siren's Grotto with all the spawn points listed with a sample mob that spawns at that location, and a guide to breaking into the temple down the hole

This could be super useful also. SG has no guides in the wiki currently, and the maps are ... not EQAtlas maps (which is to say they could definitely benefit from some additional details).

Even just a single, well-done, SG guide could also be worth the entire 3k, but it would have to have all the relevant details (like the better guides in https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Hunting%20Spots).

--I should probably link the Shardwing Courier quest onto the XP hunting table since it got me maybe 20% of 59, its a decent solo XP pickup for rogues or people with the right faction, even if its not really campable per se.

The hunting spot guides always need more places to hunt, so this too would be great. As I said in the original post, the exact plat reward would vary based on how detailed the entry was (0.5-1k).

As for all of the rest of the "research" ideas, those all sound great too! I can't give specific plat numbers without knowing more details, but in general if you add any significant chunk of data to the wiki that requires any significant amount of in-game (or online classic) research, that would very likely qualify for the whole 3k. And even the "easier" ideas (you mentioned one that you thought would only require half an hour of research) would still be worth at least 1k.

Jayya can't take outside plat

Ah yes, ALS :) I can give the plat to another (non-ALS) character of your's, or you can do anything else you want with it (eg. give it to a non-ALS friend).

Can't wait to see what you contribute!

Jimjam
04-28-2020, 11:41 AM
My submission is a page on death.

I suggest this page includes the penalties for death, such as respawning at your bind without your equipment, a limited time period in which you can return to the place you died to retrieve your unbanked equipment as well as what XP penalties are for dying and when they may occur.

The page could include advance strategies for dieing, such as erudite casters farming skill ups so they can actually solo a level 1 mob, using it as a ghetto FD, using it to restock supplies/bank before being rezzed back to camp and so on.

There also could be an NPC section, describing what happens to NPCs on death, depending on NPC type and how the NPC was killed.

Death is an integral part of Everquest, and I was amazed recently to see there is not a page dedicated to this mechanic.

My wiki profile is Eldrath, and I apologise for the update I recently made to the disclaimer page.

7thGate
04-28-2020, 12:18 PM
As the person who compiled the Buff Lines page, let me just say that while I would love to see that, and while the wiki has all the data you need, making such pages are a lot of work. Thus, even if you only made a fraction of such a page (eg. only one class's spells, or only a few "lines") it could be enough to earn the entire 3k.

But as for your spreadsheet, just be careful: if it's based on unclassic sources you may need to update it with classic data from the wiki.

I went back and checked, and I'm not 100% sure that the info I pulled for this was classic, so I'll probably skip this one. Like all eqemu or non-classic sources, its useful as a personal guide to what might be true here, but I don't have access to the characters to validate this easily.

loramin
04-28-2020, 12:41 PM

I suggest this page includes the penalties for death, such as respawning at your bind without your equipment, a limited time period in which you can return to the place you died to retrieve your unbanked equipment as well as what XP penalties are for dying and when they may occur.

The page could include advance strategies for dieing, such as erudite casters farming skill ups so they can actually solo a level 1 mob, using it as a ghetto FD, using it to restock supplies/bank before being rezzed back to camp and so on.

There also could be an NPC section, describing what happens to NPCs on death, depending on NPC type and how the NPC was killed.

Death is an integral part of Everquest, and I was amazed recently to see there is not a page dedicated to this mechanic.

My wiki profile is Eldrath, and I apologise for the update I recently made to the disclaimer page.

I think this would be an awesome addition, but somehow I'm guessing you don't need 3k Jimjam ;)

P.S. ROFL

I had to go look that up :) Honestly I just don't have time to do as many wiki edits as I could before, so I try to make the biggest mark I can by focusing on templates, Javascript, and encouraging others. But I do still edit from time to time.

Jimjam
04-28-2020, 12:44 PM
don't need, nor deserve!

7thGate
04-28-2020, 12:55 PM
Added
Salmon Laddering with Gravity Flux and Levitate Rings
To the Advanced Techniques page to start, since its a small edit (7thGate is wiki name)
Will do some more later.

Edit: I can't actually screenshot this, as I had assistance with the original testing; I don't have any of the right characters to attempt to replicate now.

loramin
04-28-2020, 12:57 PM
Added
Salmon Laddering with Gravity Flux and Levitate Rings
To the Advanced Techniques page to start, since its a small edit (7thGate is wiki name)
Will do some more later.

Awesome, we have our first official contestant! That looks like about 600p so far (throw in a screenshot or youtube video if you want 750).

Keep 'em coming, and if you want to "cash out" at any point before 3k just let me know.

7thGate
04-28-2020, 02:26 PM
Added sections to https://wiki.project1999.com/Archery with notes on Range, and Ranger DPS with Archery with some numerical support.

loramin
04-28-2020, 02:38 PM
Added sections to https://wiki.project1999.com/Archery with notes on Range, and Ranger DPS with Archery with some numerical support.

Looks great! My only (very minor) suggestion would be to try and use neutral/encyclopedia language as much as possible, but again that's a great contribution.

Let's call that 1k, putting you up to 1.6k total.

7thGate
04-28-2020, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I wasn't sure how to write that with specific cases. Minor edit to clean that up a bit, but I'm not sure how to best write the part with specific examples in a neutral language perspective.

7thGate
04-28-2020, 03:21 PM
Added Shardwing_Courier to https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide#Hunting_Spots_50-54

EDIT: I also added a line to the Shardwing Courier page describing his pathing.

Jimjam
04-28-2020, 04:45 PM

If someone would like to do the work for my suggestion, I'm sure Loramin will pay out for it and I'll match his payment. Sounds like an easy way to make up to 6k.

loramin
04-28-2020, 06:19 PM
Added Shardwing_Courier to https://wiki.project1999.com/Per-Level_Hunting_Guide#Hunting_Spots_50-54

EDIT: I also added a line to the Shardwing Courier page describing his pathing.

Great, let's call that 700 more, putting you at 2.3k.

Also, just FYI, in wiki links you don't have to include the underscores, so you can just do [[Shardwing Courier]] (you don't have to do [[Shardwing_Courier]]).

7thGate
04-28-2020, 06:32 PM
Cool, I'll keep that in mind!

I added my annotated Siren's Grotto Maps to https://wiki.project1999.com/Annotated_Sirens_Grotto_Maps , and added a section to the main SG page to link to it (they're kind of big, so I decided to stick them in their own page instead of inline).

GardylooGubbins
04-28-2020, 07:15 PM
I added a solution to the tech support wiki for the "screen transparency" problem I've encountered several times when trying to log into the game. This is when certain portions of the screen (specifically the "Enter World" button) register as transparent, and clicking on them minimizes the client. Name was GardylooG

7thGate
04-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Added information to Harla Dar's page, fixing some of her stats and including drop information emphasizing Torpor. Added a link from Torpor's page under "Where to find".

loramin
04-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Cool, I'll keep that in mind!

I added my annotated Siren's Grotto Maps to https://wiki.project1999.com/Annotated_Sirens_Grotto_Maps , and added a section to the main SG page to link to it (they're kind of big, so I decided to stick them in their own page instead of inline).

Looks great. For future reference, in the wiki you can show bigger images in smaller places by adding "|someNumberpx". For instance, to show your map with a width of only 600 pixels, you could use:

[[File:Sirens grotto layer 1 fancy smaller.jpg|600px|Second Map of Siren's Grotto]]

However, if you do that the writing is too small to be useful, so I think you made the right call putting those maps on their own page. If you could somehow double the font size on your maps though, I could totally see your version replacing the current one on the SG page :)

Regardless, even your current version is a whole lot better than the current "location key" for that zone (ie. none), so I hope you don't mind, but I moved your alternate maps link up to the top, where the location key normally would be. It seems to me if I'm looking for "where is stuff in SG?" and I can't find a normal location key, your maps will be what I want instead.

Finally, this puts you up to the max of 3k, so congratulations on being this challenge's first winner!
https://i.imgur.com/HepQkn5.gif
https://i.imgur.com/PCya2rM.gif
https://i.imgur.com/nqqrK41.gif

PM me with your in-game character name (whoever is picking up the plat) and when you would like to meet up.

P.S. One last thing: I would encourage you (and all editors!) to add your recent additions to https://wiki.project1999.com/Notable%20Updates.

You don't have to, and even if you do I wouldn't add all your changes (eg. not the new hunting spot) ... but adding the bigger stuff to that page (eg. the maps) can be a great way to let people looking for "what's new on the wiki?" to know what you added.)

Added information to Harla Dar's page, fixing some of her stats and including drop information emphasizing Torpor. Added a link from Torpor's page under "Where to find".

Uh oh. You'd already hit the limit of the challenge, and that means ... you just edited the wiki without a reward ;) Even if you didn't realize it, no take-backs:

https://i.imgur.com/ZCj40Dn.jpg

loramin
04-29-2020, 11:20 AM
I added a solution to the tech support wiki for the "screen transparency" problem I've encountered several times when trying to log into the game. This is when certain portions of the screen (specifically the "Enter World" button) register as transparent, and clicking on them minimizes the client. Name was GardylooG

Awesome! That tech support page can be a real life saver (both for people in need of tech support ... and because it saves the nice people who provide help in the tech support forum from having to give the same answers repeatedly :)).

I hope you don't mind, but I "upgraded" your addition to have its own heading (ie. the text with equal signs around it, eg. "=== Problem: Other Errors/Crashes when Logging In ==="). This will make it easier to find in the table of contents at the top of the page, plus it will make the actual problem itself have larger text.

As for your reward, given that you had to do some "research" to add that entry, I think it'd be fair to call that 750 plat. You can "cash that out" at any time, or keep editing (until Sunday night) to try and hit 3k.

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 12:42 PM
Awesome! That tech support page can be a real life saver (both for people in need of tech support ... and because it saves the nice people who provide help in the tech support forum from having to give the same answers repeatedly :)).

I hope you don't mind, but I "upgraded" your addition to have its own heading (ie. the text with equal signs around it, eg. "=== Problem: Other Errors/Crashes when Logging In ==="). This will make it easier to find in the table of contents at the top of the page, plus it will make the actual problem itself have larger text.

As for your reward, given that you had to do some "research" to add that entry, I think it'd be fair to call that 750 plat. You can "cash that out" at any time, or keep editing (until Sunday night) to try and hit 3k.

Don't mind at all! So, can I update the wiki with answers I find on the tech support forum, even if I didn't come up with them myself?

loramin
04-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Don't mind at all! So, can I update the wiki with answers I find on the tech support forum, even if I didn't come up with them myself?

Definitely!

The goal of the Tech Support page (and related pages) is to build a resource that anyone having trouble can use to find their answer. Taking useful knowledge that is scattered across umpteen million posts/threads in the forum, and putting it into that easy-to-find "problem: solution" format so that anyone can access it, is absolutely doing the community a service.

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Added the following to the Tech Support page:

Game Crashing When Zoning or Camping

Many have reported that running the game in Administrator Mode or setting the file eqgame.exe to run in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 2 has solved (or at least reduced) the problem. To set Compatibility Mode:

Locate the file eqgame.exe in the folder where you stored your Everquest installation files.

Right click and select Properties.

Click the Compatibility tab.

Click "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"

Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

Note: Some have reported still having issues after changing the settings, so this is not a guaranteed fix.

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 01:42 PM
Also added this to the graphics tech support page:

Problem: Can't See Other Player's Spell Effects

Some players report problems with spell effects/animations not displaying properly when cast by other players. This occurs when the spell is cast on a different PC or NPC than the player having the issue.

Potential Solution: It has been reported that this is a big caused by the UI when a player changes spell filters on the main chat window. Possible solutions include resetting the UI or turning on all spell messages in the main chat window.

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 01:52 PM
And I added this one. Even though it seems obvious, I sat like a dummy staring at the screen for a couple minutes until I realized what to do, and I saw someone else mention it on the forums.

Problem: The "SonyEQ" Loading Screen Won't Go Away
Just click the mouse button and it lets you through.

Baler
04-29-2020, 01:53 PM
Very cool. Always happy to see people contributing towards the wiki. :)

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 02:04 PM
I also added a section on the tech support page called "Installation Best Practices" and added the following entry:

Create an Installation Backup
After setting up your game the way you like it, copy the contents of your Project 1999 EQ directory to a new directory and name it "Backup" or something similar. If you encounter a problem that requires a reinstallation, simply copy and paste the backup directory's files. This prevents you from having to reinstall everything from scratch.

The above was an old suggestion from Telin on the tech support forum and I thought it was a good idea. Gonna actually go do it myself.

loramin
04-29-2020, 05:07 PM
I also added a section on the tech support page called "Installation Best Practices" and added the following entry:

Create an Installation Backup
After setting up your game the way you like it, copy the contents of your Project 1999 EQ directory to a new directory and name it "Backup" or something similar. If you encounter a problem that requires a reinstallation, simply copy and paste the backup directory's files. This prevents you from having to reinstall everything from scratch.

The above was an old suggestion from Telin on the tech support forum and I thought it was a good idea. Gonna actually go do it myself.

Good suggestion. Another good place for it would be as a new optional "2.5" step on http://wiki.project1999.com/Getting%20Started.

As for your reward, rather than work out exactly what each contribution was worth, let's just say you're now up to 2.25k. Keep those enhancements coming!

GardylooGubbins
04-29-2020, 05:52 PM
I updating the "crashing while zoning" section under the graphics tech support wiki with the solution from my previous post, so that it is in both places. I also added the following two entries:

Problem: Meditate Button Not Appearing or is Blacked Out

Potential Solution #1: It has been reported that this issue can be fixed by reloading the UI. To do this type /loadskin 1 while in game.

Potential Solution #2: Another suggestion is to delete the Velious UI skin from the EQ Directory.

Problem: Game Experiences Intermittent Stuttering

It has been reported that this problem may be caused by the log file gets too big.

Potential Solution: You can move your existing log file to a backup folder, causing the game to start a new one.

GardylooGubbins
04-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Good suggestion. Another good place for it would be as a new optional "2.5" step on http://wiki.project1999.com/Getting%20Started.

As for your reward, rather than work out exactly what each contribution was worth, let's just say you're now up to 2.25k. Keep those enhancements coming!

Added the "Backup" Advice to the section you mentioned.

loramin
04-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Great stuff! I think we can call that a total of 3k, which means ... we have another winner!

https://i.imgur.com/vIf0lAD.gif

PM me your character's name and when you plan to be on so I can deliver your winnings.

As for everyone else ... look at how easy it is to win 3k! We have two winners already, and plenty of time for more before Sunday.

loramin
05-02-2020, 12:16 PM
I just want to remind everyone that the challenge lasts until tomorrow night, so anyone wanting an easy way to earn 3k for their starting character still has plenty of time to do so!

https://i.imgur.com/x7E5K4b.gif
https://i.imgur.com/fZ8vcjM.gif
https://i.imgur.com/j50j0Ap.gif?noredirect

Baler
05-02-2020, 02:14 PM
https://i.imgur.com/NOtSkd3.gif

GardylooGubbins
05-02-2020, 02:49 PM
Let me just say, as a returning player grinding out the early levels on green, switching to blue and gaining the platinum was a huge boon! If you're having trouble gearing up a new character, this is a great opportunity!