PDA

View Full Version : Bad typer

Whoop
04-17-2020, 07:05 AM
I suck at typing. I need to look at the k-boar and I often miss keybuttons and what not.

Any advice on how to improve? The obvious anser if ofc "type stuff" but educational in order to learn I think. Teaching old dogs and all that...

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 07:17 AM
https://www.google.com/search?q=typing+tutor&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS891US891&oq=typing+tutor&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l6j5.1881j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 07:18 AM
https://www.speedtypingonline.com/typing-tutor this is exactly how i learned as a kid now i type a million werdz per minute

eventually u will stop looking at the keyboard, the on screen keyboard helped me, the complexity increases

my kid program had a cute little graphic of like a girl and a dog that jumped around on the screen and was all UWU :3 thats probably why i am ultra gay, hope that doesn't happen to you

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 07:20 AM
best of luck

and remember to always break ur posts into like 2 or 3 posts

and sentances

don't ever use paragraphs they hinder typing ability

Mblake81
04-17-2020, 07:23 AM
EQ without voice chat was my original stress, communicating in a dungeon with bad pulls etc while also manipulating the character for the task at hand, it was a lot to juggle for me at the time. Prior to that all I had was the standard computer class in middle school that taught you the home row keys. I still sometimes need to visually check where my fingers are in relation to some keys to get started on a sentence.

20 years later and I still miss keystrokes /shrug
It also means I have enough experience to make out what people are trying to say most of the time. Automatically fills in the gaps.

*I still associate computer games with text chat, I really don't care for voice communication.. might as well put on the xbox 360 headset. We have a keyboard for communication. Read & Write.
I also think that text chat is critical for online role playing, I don't sound like an Ogre or a Troll or a Dark Elf. I will type out sentences that I would never ever say in RL.

Jimjam
04-17-2020, 07:35 AM
I have a terrible memory so I prefer having a written record.

EQ really taught me how to spam out those keyboard buttons!

Mblake81
04-17-2020, 07:52 AM
If you want, there are games out there specifically made for the improvement of typing while being entertainment.

The Typing of the Dead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3M6oDcPlU) which is a play on House of the Dead.

Initial D typing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiQSN4Ifnw) which is a play on the anime show about mountain pass racing in Japan.

These are just two examples, there are many more 'Edutainment' games out there. I guess people take typing as a given today with the prevalence of cellphone texting with kids. They probably have something for Ipads. /shrug

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 07:54 AM
EQ without voice chat was my original stress, communicating in a dungeon with bad pulls etc while also manipulating the character for the task at hand, it was a lot to juggle for me at the time. Prior to that all I had was the standard computer class in middle school that taught you the home row keys. I still sometimes need to visually check where my fingers are in relation to some keys to get started on a sentence.

20 years later and I still miss keystrokes /shrug
It also means I have enough experience to make out what people are trying to say most of the time. Automatically fills in the gaps.

*I still associate computer games with text chat, I really don't care for voice communication.. might as well put on the xbox 360 headset. We have a keyboard for communication. Read & Write.
I also think that text chat is critical for online role playing, I don't sound like an Ogre or a Troll or a Dark Elf. I will type out sentences that I would never ever say in RL.

too bad i sound exactly like a dark elf

Whoop
04-17-2020, 07:56 AM
If you want, there are games out there specifically made for the improvement of typing while being entertainment.

The Typing of the Dead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs3M6oDcPlU) which is a play on House of the Dead.

Initial D typing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adiQSN4Ifnw) which is a play on the anime show about mountain pass racing in Japan.

These are just two examples, there are many more 'Edutainment' games out there. I guess people take typing as a given today with the prevalence of cellphone texting with kids. They probably have something for Ipads. /shrug

Thank you. Found this one typeracer.com. Rocking around 30-35 wpm with 90% accuracy atm!:p

Mblake81
04-17-2020, 08:03 AM
That is pretty good, I tried a few but couldn't get past the start haha. I find that I make many typos and have to go back to correct them. Seems I am terrible at copying something on screen as it is written, that isn't how I have typed since I became more active on social media/forums since 2010.

I only bothered to interact on maybe one or two forums prior to that, one being [H]ardforum (https://hardforum.com/threads/my-sg33g5b-shoe-box.1214662/). My screen name was Magnum G.I before I lost the login information. The PC games section at [H] depresses me these days so I don't go there anymore.

Fammaden
04-17-2020, 08:10 AM
Once upon a time I took a typing class in high school (before internet or ubiquitous PC's, I'm old) and faked my way through it hunting and pecking. Later as an adult I got a job which required more and more typing/computer data entry and became embarrassed of my two-to-four finger typing.

So I started using an online touch typing tutor and forcing myself to touch type at work. It was SLOW going at first compared to my old habits. But in the long run I learned to do actual ten finger homekey touch typing. I'm still not a great typist by any stretch, but I highly recommend just sucking it up and making the change. The entire keyboard was designed to be used this way, there's no sense in refusing to learn how it works.

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Once upon a time I took a typing class in high school (before internet or ubiquitous PC's, I'm old) and faked my way through it hunting and pecking. Later as an adult I got a job which required more and more typing/computer data entry and became embarrassed of my two-to-four finger typing.

So I started using an online touch typing tutor and forcing myself to touch type at work. It was SLOW going at first compared to my old habits. But in the long run I learned to do actual ten finger homekey touch typing. I'm still not a great typist by any stretch, but I highly recommend just sucking it up and making the change. The entire keyboard was designed to be used this way, there's no sense in refusing to learn how it works.

I personally believe some people lack whatever module it is in their brains that allow them to type.

I know several who are genius savants in some way but cannot type because they just can't its like physically impossible. I hate all of them because they all have really annoying personalities, but that not with standing they have some other incredible talents and shouldn't hate on themselves. Like they typically do.

BlackBellamy
04-17-2020, 09:11 AM
I was taught how to type 60WPM by a guy who would yell out "Type gooder!". When I joined the Army I was like I want a job with Intelligence and I want to work on Computers. So they were like super, looks like you're good with the security clearance now here is an 8-week typing class. Now I not only type like a motherfucker but I compose the proper headers to allow command to authenticate me.

Edit: oh yeah, so join the army if you want to type or shoot typists take your pick.

Edit2:

I personally believe some people lack whatever module it is in their brains that allow them to type.

Yup, same with map reading. No matter how loud or how often the guy would yell, some people flunked right the fuck out cause their brain-to-finger circuits were just wrong. Or they could not imagine rotating a flat piece of paper into a fully loaded zone in their head. Just brains like that.

magnetaress
04-17-2020, 10:47 AM
I was taught how to type 60WPM by a guy who would yell out "Type gooder!". When I joined the Army I was like I want a job with Intelligence and I want to work on Computers. So they were like super, looks like you're good with the security clearance now here is an 8-week typing class. Now I not only type like a motherfucker but I compose the proper headers to allow command to authenticate me.

Edit: oh yeah, so join the army if you want to type or shoot typists take your pick.

Edit2:

Yup, same with map reading. No matter how loud or how often the guy would yell, some people flunked right the fuck out cause their brain-to-finger circuits were just wrong. Or they could not imagine rotating a flat piece of paper into a fully loaded zone in their head. Just brains like that.

edit 1: can do both
edit 2: i wanted to say lol hi chelsae but im' afraid i'll be banned, i just did :(

pras for ur service m8 the army fucking sux lol

Sibelia1
04-17-2020, 11:20 AM

Edit2:

haha wow that's really funny. I have a strong general intelligence so I can't relate to this stuff, including joining the army :p:D

Sibelia1
04-17-2020, 11:22 AM
150wpm until god nerfed my hands for sinning w/ them. Now I dictate and sometimes type extra letters with my nose.

Baler
04-17-2020, 12:13 PM
I learned how to type fast moderating justin tv back in 2008 :)

Cen
04-22-2020, 11:02 AM
I learned to get ONE line out extremely quickly. Its an important skill you need for when you get knocked unconscious on rallos zek server and need to throw one line out before you die. Usually it contains the word fuck.

GinnasP99
04-22-2020, 04:25 PM
http://www.realmsofdespair.com/

Learned to type playing this 26 year old text MUD.

Evia
04-22-2020, 05:35 PM
Everquest taught me how to type. Playing it when I was 13 or so and trying to communicate with everyone. I only use 8 fingers total, but I can type 60-65wpm.

mcoy
04-22-2020, 06:02 PM
EQ taught me as well. Came back from summer break and our computer teacher (typing teacher) was amazed I spent all summer "practicing"...

I like Z-Type https://zty.pe/ can load your own text or a website and it'll use that text as the targets.

-Mcoy