PDA

View Full Version : Will I be okay as a newb tank?

Obxolicious
04-15-2020, 05:01 PM
So with green server being around I've been wanting to come back to P99 for a while and just haven't until today. I had a level 35 pally on blue server a couple years back before I stopped playing.

I'm wanting to roll high elf paladin on green and I did but not even 10 minutes into playing, I saw another level 1 paladin decked out in gear. So my question is will I be okay as a newb tank making my way through the levels? I really wanna experience EQ and earn my gear / levels but I'm aware of the fact I can't compete with twink tanks. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could play? I enjoy healing as well.

Broor
04-15-2020, 05:23 PM
As long as you're keeping aggro, you're fine. Just try to rustle up a decent weapon, save all the money you can for bronze/banded, and spam flash of light once you hit level 9 and you'll be a better aggro machine than a twinked warrior.
Edit: But if you want the twink experience for melee/tank, roll a priest first and get some money saved up to spend on your eventual character-

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 06:01 PM
I would say as a pally definitely do not worry too much about it. Solro armor is not even in.

Some people may be snobby but you are better off going at your own pace. Definitely start up a tradeskills or two if it seems like you are having a tough time getting a group. There's a lot of "professionals" on green still trying to catch up to the FTE on hate & fear. The politik isn't really about you or your gear.

You'll be fine. It'll be almost another 6 months till kunark drops. Betting it is after Xmas.

Videri
04-15-2020, 06:48 PM
The server is at the stage where a lot of people have the characters and wealth to equip alts. You will see twinks. Don't be worried, though; groups need tanks. Do your thing. Also, I advise you join one of the leveling guilds for advice, groups, and green text chatting.

Zephire
04-15-2020, 07:08 PM
You should be fine until Kunark releases. irrc that's when a number of mitigation changes go in that positively affect warriors making them the better raid tank. Pali's SKs were usually relegated to off-tanking.. especially in places like Chardock

Hybrids are always good group tanks though!

magnetaress
04-15-2020, 07:11 PM
If you run into anybody with better gear then you just tell them they don't need that gear and it makes them look bad that they can't handle the same fights with a rusty knife and tattered furs.

JJAndrews
04-16-2020, 06:23 AM
So with green server being around I've been wanting to come back to P99 for a while and just haven't until today. I had a level 35 pally on blue server a couple years back before I stopped playing.

I'm wanting to roll high elf paladin on green and I did but not even 10 minutes into playing, I saw another level 1 paladin decked out in gear. So my question is will I be okay as a newb tank making my way through the levels? I really wanna experience EQ and earn my gear / levels but I'm aware of the fact I can't compete with twink tanks. Does anyone have any suggestions what I could play? I enjoy healing as well.

Hi,
I think everything is fine. If you play more often, then your levels will be higher and there will be more experience.

unleashedd
04-22-2020, 08:25 AM
you only need Flash of Light to keep agro. spend all your money on the most AC you can get

kaizersoze
04-22-2020, 10:39 AM
If youre rolling a new character and going hie paladin first, can get a full set of bronze armor from doing the cleaner / card quest in kaladim and OOT.

Indecisive
04-22-2020, 11:03 AM
You'll be just fine. Yeah there are "twinks" around, but really... twink gear isn't much outside of a handful of items in classic. It's not like blue where you'd get laughed out of a group trying to tank in banded.

Just enjoy the journey! Hybrid penalty is going to ensure you get a long one, haha.

Cen
04-22-2020, 11:16 AM
You're gonna be great kid! GET THE MOBS ANGRY