PDA

View Full Version : Enchanter Race - DElf vs. Gnome

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 07:16 AM
Hello,

I am deciding between D.Elf and Gnome as a race for enchanter; while I understand there are 'better' races in terms of starting stats (e.g. High Elf or Human), I am set on either D.Elf or Gnome because I can't really stand how the other races look except for maybe Erudites, but Erudites don't get hide or tinkering!

Gnomes have more stamina when comparing the two races side-by-side after adding +25 CHA and +5 STA to either, which also seems 'better'.

I see tinkering as fun and entertaining and I could make stalking probes for necromancers - including my own - but am not sure if there's really any benefit to having tinkering as an enchanter - is there? I just don't know the ins-and-outs as I am still pretty green to all of this.

Additionally, a gnome enchanter may also serve as a legit. blacksmith too in that they could also enchant ore to create magical items from what I understand - is that correct? Not that a D.Elf enchanter - or other race - couldn't do the enchanted ore and magical item crafting thing, but it makes more sense to have a more focused crafter like having tinkering AND blacksmithing all on the same enchanter, right?

Is 'hide' really that important for an enchanter in that it is 'game-changing' or a 'game-breaker'? Is 'hide' really that much more important than 'tinkering' and +5 more STA by default? +5 STA seems way more important then -1 INT when comparing the two side-by-side anyway.

Hope that wasn't too wordy, and, thanks in advance for the help!

-Oz

koala
04-09-2020, 07:38 AM
There's nothing *wrong* with it, and you should play what you like.

That said, I rolled an Erudite enchanter on live and always regretted it. Ultravision is amazing and Hide is very helpful (not necessary, but helpful) for breaking charm/anim on demand.

That said, this is the worst class to play where you are selecting the race based on looks/appearances. You can always illusion to a different race if you like the aesthetics, but more importantly, you're very likely to end up spending a lot of your time as an air or water elemental anyway for reagent-free levitate/EB.

axisofebola
04-09-2020, 07:51 AM
D elf and gnome both have garbage starting cha. It's the cloest thing to a "game breaker". It's not go to make much difference long term when you are fully geared... but as soon as you start lulling and charming when doing CR you are going to massively miss not having high start cha. There only three nechanter races imo human, erudite, high elf.

Mblake81
04-09-2020, 08:15 AM
D elf and gnome both have garbage starting cha. It's the cloest thing to a "game breaker". It's not go to make much difference long term when you are fully geared... but as soon as you start lulling and charming when doing CR you are going to massively miss not having high start cha. There only three nechanter races imo human, erudite, high elf.

My min max!

Hey OP, do you think dark elfs are cool or do you like gnomes? do you have a little story about your character or find something interesting about them?

As far as dungeon CR lulls go.. oh well. The dark lord Innoruuk didn't bless you with the ability and prefers you to just dominate, by his will if you or your group mates die like fools deep in a dungeon.. GOOD! your punishment is bad lull pains.

As for gnomes..I don't know, use your imagination rather than something stats because the next thing you will be asking is if a Duke controller is compatible with EQ.

Baler
04-09-2020, 09:03 AM
agnostic erudite is neutral which has it's own perks that dark elf or gnome may suffer from

Mblake81
04-09-2020, 09:05 AM
For OP (http://familletaussig.org/~rulnak/Council_Backgrounds/Council_Bk.html)

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 09:12 AM
Erudite put all points in AGI

*** gnomes TRIGGER me

solleks
04-09-2020, 09:26 AM
I'm leaning hard on dark elf these days, they are so cool looking and can see SO WELL.

BlackBellamy
04-09-2020, 09:41 AM
You're gaining 6-7 int and losing 20 cha over the elf. Hide and Tinkering and 5 stamina are worthless I mean you if must tinker then I understand but the practical effects are nil.

At 50, you'll notice those missing 13-14 points very little. At 60 you won't notice them at all.

I did all the research and I chose my enchanter race based on how it renders the breasts. I like a certain look.

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 10:02 AM
You're gaining 6-7 int and losing 20 cha over the elf. Hide and Tinkering and 5 stamina are worthless I mean you if must tinker then I understand but the practical effects are nil.

At 50, you'll notice those missing 13-14 points very little. At 60 you won't notice them at all.

I did all the research and I chose my enchanter race based on how it renders the breasts. I like a certain look.

Erudite butts best butts

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 10:20 AM

LOL

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Erudite butts best butts

lol!

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Erudite put all points in AGI

*** gnomes TRIGGER me

Are you joking or are you serious? Because I can maybe actually see why this would be a good idea, but there's more sarcasm around these parts than not, which is why I thought I'd ask!

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Are you joking or are you serious? Because I can maybe actually see why this would be a good idea, but there's more sarcasm around these parts than not, which is why I thought I'd ask!

I am serious :( :eek: :cool:

just so u know tho charisma is the most important stat for an enchanter, however, it will making charming in the lower lvls much easier, and u can gear almost every other stat seperately to a decent degree

i believe an erudite with maxed agi, int, and low charisma would probably end up a wash, you'd have to gear cha, which would be cheap, but your mana pool will always be decent and when mez/charm breaks u wont get 1 shotted, maybe 2 shotted instead, pretty good deal, its hypothetical craft tho

Baler
04-09-2020, 10:35 AM
Race ........STR...STA...AGI...DEX...WIS...INT....CHA
Erudite .... 60 ... 70 ... 70 ... 70 ... 83 ... 117 ... 80
Dark Elf ... 60 ... 65 ... 90 ... 75 ... 83 ... 109 ... 70
Gnome .... 60 ... 70 ... 85 ... 85 ... 67 ... 108 ... 70

STA+INT+CHA
Erudite = 267
Gnome = 248
Dark Elf= 244

Erudite has the easier road to stat caps
Put 5 points into Agi
20 into Cha
and 5 into str
for...

65 str, 70 sta, 75 agi, 70 dex, 83 wis, 117 int and 100 charisma
:cool:

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 10:39 AM
I'm liking this Erudite booty! ;) ...can Erudites go to Neriak and bank at Neriak? In other words, can I do levels 1 through 7 or 10 or whatever in Neriak / Nektulos with minimal KOS if I avoid the third gate?

Baler
04-09-2020, 10:46 AM
I'm liking this Erudite booty! ;) ...can Erudites go to Neriak and bank at Neriak? In other words, can I do levels 1 through 7 or 10 or whatever in Neriak / Nektulos with minimal KOS if I avoid the third gate?

You can as an enchanter! :D
*cough*at level 12 (https://wiki.project1999.com/Illusion:_Dark_Elf)*cough*

Izmael
04-09-2020, 10:46 AM
Gnome is a very valid Enc race choice, being able to gnomevision through the walls without ever having to unmem X / mem gnome illusion / wait on it to freaking come up / cast it / recast cuz fizzle / unmem gnome illusion / mem X, is really nice.

oZtiaZ
04-09-2020, 10:49 AM
You can as an enchanter! :D
*cough*at level 12 (https://wiki.project1999.com/Illusion:_Dark_Elf)*cough*

Hahaha, thanks man! Think I found 'the' one! :)

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 10:54 AM
Race ........STR...STA...AGI...DEX...WIS...INT....CHA
Erudite .... 60 ... 70 ... 70 ... 70 ... 83 ... 117 ... 80
Dark Elf ... 60 ... 65 ... 90 ... 75 ... 83 ... 109 ... 70
Gnome .... 60 ... 70 ... 85 ... 85 ... 67 ... 108 ... 70

STA+INT+CHA
Erudite = 267
Gnome = 248
Dark Elf= 244

Erudite has the easier road to stat caps
Put 5 points into Agi
20 into Cha
and 5 into str
for...

65 str, 70 sta, 75 agi, 70 dex, 83 wis, 117 int and 100 charisma
:cool:

AGI+INT+CHA
High Elf = 277

Base: 85 AGI, 102 INT, 90 CHA, 30 BONUS
+17 AGI, +1 INT, +12 CHA
Total: 102 AGI, 103 Int, 102 CHA = 307

ewjax
04-09-2020, 11:51 AM
I can tell you as a 50 human enchanter....I am soooooo envious of DE Hide, i.e. the ability to instantly break charm. Every time I'm casting a 4-second IVU and hoping I've timed it right, I'm wishing for that Hide button.

I can also tell you that until I got Serpent Sight, and then ultimately Ultravision, I was pretty dang envious of DE vision too. But that's a manageable problem.

You want to tinker? Start a gnome alt. Need to CR? I have rarely (maybe never) relied on nakey un-buffed CHA pacify/calm to do that, just invis/IVU in and drag to a safe spot to loot it.

From where I'm sitting, that Hide button is the key differentiator.

Mblake81
04-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Its nice on a melee class that doesn't have spells. It doesn't work everytime you click it though and there are no skill ups in it.

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 12:41 PM
Goblin Ghazugi ring / circlet of shadows - hide obsolete

you can do sir lindeals quest for a cloak that i believe is any slot clickable 2 charges of invis vs undead :D useful in a pinch https://wiki.project1999.com/Cloak_of_the_Undead_Eye he is almost always up and almost always dies when i run through lavastorm and pretty much drops the testimony every time near as i can tell. super handy in guk

branamil
04-09-2020, 01:28 PM
Stats are borderline meaningless in this game. 95% of resist checks are level and magic resist, not your own stats.

Also the game is borderline unplayable without ultravision. Game looks like absolute ass without it and you don't want to re-cast it every time you zone. I really can't imagine not playing a dark elf.

Baler
04-09-2020, 01:33 PM
playing an evil race means looking over your shoulder in good cities.
food for thought

magnetaress
04-09-2020, 01:50 PM
playing an evil race means looking over your shoulder in good cities.
food for thought

Is this a threat?

Gustoo
04-09-2020, 01:53 PM
They are all good. I would probably be a high elf for the best stats and nobility status, but any of these races are good.

Gnome has tactical advantage of being able to fit into small places without illusion. Has tactical disadvantage of being able to be forced to duck on accident in places where full size players are not encumbered.

Baler
04-09-2020, 02:13 PM
Is this a threat?

LOL no, Just if your illusion ends while in a good city the guilds will get ya! :eek: