PDA

View Full Version : Cleric woes - no change here then...

Golur
04-07-2020, 09:40 AM
Back to EQ after many years, like so many. I wondered what has changed, and what remained. One thing has deffo not changed- Clerics still get grief!

- Sit and Med, I'm not pulling my weight, and I'm bad
- Hit stuff - I've not enough mana to heal, and I'm bad.

Is it me still being crap after all these years, or just one of those eternal verities of the healer's life?

Adron
04-07-2020, 10:24 AM
any group complaining that you're medding should force you to use this macro:

/group CH tank 10 secs
/pause 1
/q

Kavious
04-07-2020, 10:28 AM
Who doesnt want the healer to sit so he has mana to heal? Thats normal play there

Medding does take a long time until you get to level 8 and can train meditate

Videri
04-07-2020, 11:34 AM
The people that complained about you medding are just wrong.

That said, if you're sitting there at full mana not doing anything, that's wasted mana regen. It's best to cast something when at full mana, such as a nuke or a re-buff. However...I don't think it's that common to be sitting at full mana for very long. :)

Hitting stuff while not FM is probably not a good idea, though, past level...14 or so.

Gustoo
04-07-2020, 12:56 PM
You need to think about your full range of utility. Stun spells. Root. Root is a rare and important spell most classes don't have it, so keep that in mind. All your pacify / lull spells are also important.

You also do want to keep your melee skills maxxed out so be active and get hits in and take some hits to keep your character healthy and strong.

And stay full mana. Explain to your group that each heal spell takes 30 percent of your mana and if you are at half mana you basiclaly only have 1 heal in your pocket..or whatever the case may be.

MAkes me want to re-roll a new cleric just to enjoy the best class ever, again.

strongNpretty
04-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Playing a cleric for the first time on green. I can tell you, the clerics job is normally straight forward.. Heal.. sometimes root, sometimes calm, and when possible stun mobs to help enchanters.

But half the time, i'm stuck in a group that does nothing to minimize the impact on my mana pool... Bouncing agro all over.. I root mobs, call the mob rooted, and nobody moves the mobile mob.. Everybody plays a roll in mana consumption.... Help us help you.

Videri
04-07-2020, 03:53 PM
Playing a cleric for the first time on green. I can tell you, the clerics job is normally straight forward.. Heal.. sometimes root, sometimes calm, and when possible stun mobs to help enchanters.

But half the time, i'm stuck in a group that does nothing to minimize the impact on my mana pool... Bouncing agro all over.. I root mobs, call the mob rooted, and nobody moves the mobile mob.. Everybody plays a roll in mana consumption.... Help us help you.

Root 'n' Scoot!

Gustoo
04-07-2020, 05:52 PM
You gotta communicate with these (fucks)

strongNpretty i assume you better be playing a dwarf cleric but you gotta direct your team mates into staying alive. Ideally you make the group so you can kick people from it for being borderline AFK retards that waste mana and don't help shred up the mobs.

Gotta form a nice TEAM

XOXO

gherron
04-07-2020, 11:12 PM
Uhhh what if you went on "strike" during a pull for this rudeness? Maybe they'll change their tune then.

unleashedd
04-08-2020, 06:28 AM
heal only the tank. let the rest of the group figure out what theyve done wrong

Golur
04-08-2020, 06:37 AM
I think Unleashed's comment is great! I may do that ( 'maybe' only temporarily) and see if anyone notices!

Dogma
04-08-2020, 08:46 AM
Always keep gate mem'd. Groups are full of stupid people and stupid people can get you killed. Always have a way out.

If you're spending more time/mana healing DPS then that DPS should spend more time dead instead. They're not doing their job properly if they're making yours harder.

10-15% mana is OOM. Never run completely dry in group settings. Save some for Gate or an emergency root.

If you do find yourself at full mana, try to not stay there too long. Refresh a buff or chuck a nuke. Full mana is wasted mana (in my opinion).

Golur
04-08-2020, 09:56 AM
There's probably more useful info on this thread for a tyro Healer than most orther places, so thanks to all.

V Good hint about keeping Gate mem'd as well.

Lampolo
04-08-2020, 11:28 AM
heal only the tank. let the rest of the group figure out what theyve done wrong

Need more of this. Would really help the server. I have done this before and it feels great!

Gustoo
04-08-2020, 11:58 AM
As a full blown brave fighter, I always keep gate AND divine aura memmed.

Secretly I also keep divine barrier up too, for full coward, I mean brave fighter status.

Videri
04-08-2020, 12:29 PM
As a full blown brave fighter, I always keep gate AND divine aura memmed.

Secretly I also keep divine barrier up too, for full coward, I mean brave fighter status.

Me too. :) /salute

People are shocked when I tell them I have 3 spell gems dedicated to DA, DB, and Gate, plus a fourth one that's always Root, because not having some kind of Root available can cause you to die or train or flee... And I'm like, yeah, I have to sit and mem other spells a ton, but that's the cost of being prepared.

Naxy
04-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Standard spell load-out.

Small heal
Big heal
Stun
[open]
Root
Gate
Divine Barrier
Divine Aura

Bound outside of a dungeon mostly, or at a convenient travel distance.

As the circumstances allow I swap out/use the open slot for Stun for Nuke or Buff, depends on what is happening. If it is a group which doesn't need much healing, then I can even swap a heal for another stun (Holy Might) or a nuke. Sometimes Gate is replaced by another Stun, or Pacify if pulling requires it. Stun-locking mobs can be more mana efficient than healing.

Raiding is something different.

Gustoo
04-08-2020, 02:11 PM
Me too. :) /salute

People are shocked when I tell them I have 3 spell gems dedicated to DA, DB, and Gate, plus a fourth one that's always Root, because not having some kind of Root available can cause you to die or train or flee... And I'm like, yeah, I have to sit and mem other spells a ton, but that's the cost of being prepared.

Sometimes you 1 v 1 a wizard and he uses his best nuke 1 time on DA on accident, then uses his best nuke 1 more time on DB because he didn't think you had that. Then you got an idol in your pocket, and you're full buffed, so he no longer has enough mana to kill you. RIP.

But having both DA and DB up is kind of a lot. I am contemplating more aggressive and more manly strategies that may remove gate in favor of more versatility ready at hand.

Videri
04-08-2020, 03:13 PM
Yeah, Gustoo, I think you can remove Gate to free up a spell slot while DA and DB are available. If you need to Gate in a time of safety, you can temporarily forget another spell; if you need to Gate in the middle of a battle, you can use DA or DB, forget it, mem Gate, and click it off and gate.

Dogma
04-08-2020, 03:21 PM
DA and DB don't mean much if you're really deep in a dungeon. Just pick whichever safety spells you prefer.

I like the look of horror on my allies faces when they see the bubbles of their doom from the cleric. Gate is best.

And I can use it on all my casters so I don't ever have to really think about my egress plan. Push the button and hope it doesn't fail.