PDA

View Full Version : Monk Solo Leveling Speed

Boarder981
04-04-2020, 12:06 PM
This is for Blue server...

I know that the min/max Monk race is Iksar. My question is for pure leveling speed while soloing... does the increased regen make up for the 20% XP penalty?

I would be mildly twinked... SCHW, maybe a Jade Mace / Knucklebuster combo. Wu’s Quivering Staff for 2hb, and might be able to afford a Peacebringer later. However, Fungi Tunic is WAY outside my budget... so no worn HP regen.

Any advice is appreciated. Also if anyone has advice for good bang-for-your-buck Monk items that would be great. Thank you!

branamil
04-04-2020, 12:28 PM
I would save for a fungi, no other twink items come close. It's basically a free level 30 ding, the lower levels are that trivial with it.

Videri
04-04-2020, 12:31 PM
I can't say from experience whether the natural regen makes up for the 20% exp penalty, but I would like to point out that once you're at max level, the 20% exp penalty doesn't matter and you still have the regen (and AC bonus, and Infravision, but can't use certain items, etc.). Secondly, you will probably spend much more time at max level than you did leveling.

Boarder981
04-04-2020, 12:38 PM
I would save for a fungi, no other twink items come close. It's basically a free level 30 ding, the lower levels are that trivial with it.

Not even close to being able to afford a Fungi, and don’t have the means to get one :(

Boarder981
04-04-2020, 01:15 PM
I can't say from experience whether the natural regen makes up for the 20% exp penalty, but I would like to point out that once you're at max level, the 20% exp penalty doesn't matter and you still have the regen (and AC bonus, and Infravision, but can't use certain items, etc.). Secondly, you will probably spend much more time at max level than you did leveling.

You have a very good point. My problem is that playtime is very limited, which is why my question mainly centered around soloing. Of course I prefer to group, but if I only have 30 minutes to login it’s nice to be able to get some XP.

I highly doubt I’ll reach lvl 60 on this (or any other) character. Sad, but true.

fastboy21
04-04-2020, 05:16 PM
the regen will not compensate for the exp penalty. its a good question to ask, but it just isn't going to increase your kill rate solo'ing fast enough to make up for the penalty.

fastboy21
04-04-2020, 05:19 PM

this is the best way to think about all exp penalties imo. exp penalties are temporary, your skills and bonuses are forever.

i know the OP says he doubts he will ever get to 60...but then whats the big deal? if you are already beginning with the end goal in mind of never ever reaching max level then what difference does it make. play what you think is most fun.

tsuchang
04-04-2020, 07:16 PM
I play iki and human monks. The "seeing in the dark" issue is very Big.
If the regen balances the exp then play what you find most fun.
Being an Iki lets you make lots of lezerd comments.
If you are going to play the human monk please don't play that greasy haired one. ugh. get the eye patch guy.

Baler
04-04-2020, 07:17 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Zentile%27s_Level_59_Monk_Solo_Guide
https://wiki.project1999.com/Zentile%27s_P99_Monk_Pulling_Guide

I understand this is for level 59 but a lot of the same tricks and tips apply 20-60

zentile was one of my favorite monks

Snaggles
04-05-2020, 05:45 PM
Go with what you like the look of the most. All other things can be compensated for.

Regen only really is noticeable in the mid 50's and by then I expect FD regen is more useful than in-combat regen, from a solo perspective that is. Infravision is great as is the AC bonus but I'd kick all those perks to the curb if you want an eyepatch or something.

At level 60 an Iksar objectively has some nice perks over a human. It just wont change what you can or can't do.

Pint
04-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Iksar bonuses are worth it from how you describe your play time. They are stronger and since you aren't planning on hitting 60 why not take the extra bonuses.

Stonewallx39
04-14-2020, 05:24 PM
Regen can make a big difference soloing. After you bind wound to 50% and (maybe) popping mend being able to regen up while waiting on spawns will really help. Plus you can unrepentantly eat all the heathens who worship pathetic gods other then Cazic-Thule.

With all the monk tricks being evil is fun in Antonica.

jolanar
04-21-2020, 08:23 AM
The regen doesn't really come close to making up for the exp penalty IMO. It's hard to overstate how long it takes to get to level 60.

Personally there are many times I wish I went human over iksar, but primarily for aesthetic and faction reasons.

If I was a human though I'd probably be wishing I was iksar. The grass is always greener.

Gustoo
04-21-2020, 05:08 PM
At max level the iksar is better 100% no advantage to being human EXCEPT faction.

Human faction is worthwhile sometimes.

I think there is some large race junk that iksars can wear or throw that humans can't too, which is a bad deal.

Choose what you would rather be.

Regen shouldn't make up for the penalty when soloing, however, getting HP up faster feels good.

Snaggles
04-22-2020, 12:07 AM
At max level the iksar is better 100% no advantage to being human EXCEPT faction.

False: Eyepatch

tsuchang
04-22-2020, 02:27 PM
False: Eyepatch

That is a game changer as much as a quivering staff for sure.

Snaggles
04-22-2020, 06:33 PM
That is a game changer as much as a quivering staff for sure.

Yea I forgot about mustache too. All iksar monks should just forfeit and reroll to master race.

Izmael
04-22-2020, 07:02 PM
The problem with iksars is they all always look goofy. Not everyone likes looking goofy.

Bardp1999
04-24-2020, 05:14 PM
If you don't roll a Human with an Eye Patch then you are playing monk for all the wrong reasons

Kennie
04-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Iksar

Immok
04-26-2020, 09:48 PM
If you don't roll a Human with a moustache then you are playing monk for all the wrong reasons

wagorf
04-27-2020, 05:15 AM
what can iksar monks do in a game that a human monk can't, given the same level and gears?

jolanar
04-27-2020, 08:25 AM
what can iksar monks do in a game that a human monk can't, given the same level and gears?

Have higher AC and Regen that in theory makes you survive something you might otherwise not one out of a thousand times. Have easy access to 30 fire/cold resist in ranged slot (but also start with 10 less cold resist). Ability to see better at night that stops you from accidentally running into a mob that kills you.

Another benefit for human:

Now that puppet strings recharges are nerfed and significantly more costly, going Human Agnostic is a pretty nice bonus for the ability to get your own OT Hammer with minimal effort as well.

Jaxon
04-28-2020, 12:14 AM
Not a monk here, but I can give you some info from leveling my warrior solo in 59, decently twinked, and how much additional regeneration would have helped.

The entire time I was leveling HP regen was my limiting factor. If I had had more regen, I could have killed more mobs and leveled faster than I did.

A level 59 Iksar monk would have a minimum of 7 additional hp regen per tic over a human(more if FD'd or sitting, but let's assume you're standing to calculate the minimum advantage you would get). There are 10 tics in a minute so Iksars at that level regen 70 HP per minute > humans.

My average fight lasted around 140 seconds, and the NPCs did around 10 DPS to me, meaning I needed to regen on average 1400 hp each fight.

With 70 additional HP per minute, it would allow me to kill an additional mob every 20 minutes, or 3 additional mobs an hour. My regen was limiting me to about 16-17 mobs every hour. Three additional mobs per hour for me would have been close to, but not quite 20% extra experience.

So in my particular case, the regen bonus would have mostly made up for the 20% experience penalty. Your results would depend on how much damage you take and how fast you can kill. It could potentially be the same for your monk.

beel
04-28-2020, 11:49 AM
combat bind wound macro