PDA

View Full Version : Mount and Blade

Sibelia1
03-09-2020, 11:17 PM
how do i play this? wat one do i buydownload? how do i play gekokujo? Thanks!

DMN
03-09-2020, 11:45 PM
Well there are a bunch of different mount and blade spinoffs, so it's hard to say exactly which you want. Mount and blade: warband would be my recommendation though, as I'm pretty sure that's the version that has the mod you are looking for. You get warband installed and the you install the gekokujo mod separately. Load it up and have fun.

Mblake81
03-10-2020, 07:36 AM
You get warband installed and the you install the gekokujo mod separately. Load it up and have fun.

Played the original M&B, this mod looks pretty good. Total War: Shogun vibe. The freedom open modding gives.

https://i.imgur.com/zgYjTTM.jpg

Lojik
03-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Banner Lord coming out soon

eadric
03-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Warband is a classic. I still play it now and then.

Madae
03-16-2020, 08:14 PM
I started Gekokujo a week ago. I'm surprised it's as polished as it is, and pretty fun. Lot of neat changes there, like the castle sieges being more than just a single ladder for scaling walls or a siege tower.

Lojik
03-29-2020, 03:44 PM
Bannerlord launching one day early (tomorrow.)

Sibelia1
03-29-2020, 04:16 PM
bannerlord is launching tomorrow? :O

Lune
03-31-2020, 08:04 PM
Is Bannerlord any good? Does it add anything substantive or is it the Warband re-skin it looks like?

Bardp1999
03-31-2020, 11:19 PM
I played one of these games and didn't like it at all

Lojik
04-01-2020, 02:21 PM
Is Bannerlord any good? Does it add anything substantive or is it the Warband re-skin it looks like?

Mostly a reskin I would say.

It's early access, who knows when the full version comes out. I've only mucked about with it so far. Plenty of bugs still, and I think a lot of features they were intending aren't fleshed out yet.

Things worth noting, battles can field up to a few thousand units if your comp can handle I think
Improved sieges with usable siege equipment
I think they added more to late game like kids, hopefully more intricate politics. You can die, Lords can die, hopefully econ is a bit more complex.

I'd personally hold off a bit on purchase until either full release

Sibelia1
04-01-2020, 03:27 PM
Played the original M&B, this mod looks pretty good. Total War: Shogun vibe. The freedom open modding gives.

https://i.imgur.com/zgYjTTM.jpg

Shingen, nice taste :D

Cen
04-02-2020, 06:38 PM
I love games like Mount and Blade and Kenshi, but they are VERY hard for new players to get into, kind of like old EQ.

BlackBellamy
04-03-2020, 06:29 AM
I was intrigued by the original Mount & Blade, it looked kind of janky and weird but it seemed to be trying to do things no one else was so I followed it here and there, never really finding the time to get into it.

I was bored looking for something to occupy during the quarantine and I saw Bannerlord came out so I checked out the reviews and they were brutal. I mean Brutal with a capital B. There were some real detailed ones from people with 100s of hours into the franchise and besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

I still kinda want to pick it up (not for 45 bucks though jeez) just because it seems so weird and stupid. Not sure :/

Lojik
04-03-2020, 09:17 AM
I was intrigued by the original Mount & Blade, it looked kind of janky and weird but it seemed to be trying to do things no one else was so I followed it here and there, never really finding the time to get into it.

I was bored looking for something to occupy during the quarantine and I saw Bannerlord came out so I checked out the reviews and they were brutal. I mean Brutal with a capital B. There were some real detailed ones from people with 100s of hours into the franchise and besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

I still kinda want to pick it up (not for 45 bucks though jeez) just because it seems so weird and stupid. Not sure :/

I'd agree with those. Lots of things are off, game feels a bit empty. Just like with warband I'm doing a lot of the custom battles to start. The mechanics are different than warband and take getting used to, but the ai seems MUCH better in combat, being a human isn't as big an advantage. I think campaign ai is bad, snowballing is out of control, sieges are kind of broken (bad pathfinding and ai... So bad it often crashes games.) Bad things aside I think it will be pretty good once it's fully released, especially once the modders get to work.

Sibelia1
04-03-2020, 06:14 PM

I'd agree with those. Lots of things are off, game feels a bit empty. Just like with warband I'm doing a lot of the custom battles to start. The mechanics are different than warband and take getting used to, but the ai seems MUCH better in combat, being a human isn't as big an advantage. I think campaign ai is bad, snowballing is out of control, sieges are kind of broken (bad pathfinding and ai... So bad it often crashes games.) Bad things aside I think it will be pretty good once it's fully released, especially once the modders get to work.

bummer. Good thing I don't buy anything boys buy it for me.

Burk
04-03-2020, 10:36 PM
Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Einhorn. Warband = Bannerlord.

Topgunben
04-04-2020, 12:50 AM
I have about a 1000 hours into Mount and Blade Warband. Like EQ, it is one of the best games I ever played, warts and all.

BlackBellamy
04-17-2020, 09:36 AM
So I picked this up having no experience with the previous version and I'm liking it quite a lot.

It's like a much better Total War game with the main loop being RTS not turn-based which is awesome because that turn-based shit makes simulations into puzzles.

I like the open world that allows you to just play how you like. I like the combat with the zooming around on my horse with my awesome bow and my posse of also-awesome elite horse archers. I love the army mechanics where you spend influence to throw other people's troops into the meatgrinder, just like IRL. I like dressing up my Aserai in the latest they're-not-really-Romans armor. I like that there's three games going on here; the first one is your typical RPG where you gather a party and loots and get better at skills and the second one where you're part of a kingdom, rising in influence and gathering fiefs and participating in internecine conflicts, and the final phase where you have your own country and it's time to rock-n-roll. Really just a LOT of stuff to do here.

The game is in early access and it shows. Yesterday's patch totally broke the economy and all the cities are starving. Tons and tons of bugs and missing features and stuff that just doesn't work.

edit: fucking sieges are awesome! I got a giant polearm I'm the first up the ladder just start swinging that shit back and forth then the rest of my guys climb up then we clear the battlements and next thing I'm on top of a tower shooting gate defenders in the back so much fun. Also the music is just perfect. Tuh dum dum dum tuh dum dum tah dah I just want to march all day.

Mblake81
04-17-2020, 10:13 AM
besides the technical bugs which I'm willing to discount because of the game state, they specifically focused on the lack of depth, the terrible AI and that this was just basically a reskin of the older game.

Good a reason as any to be interested. I had a similar experience with the original, think I played it on and off for about two weeks. iirc, I could be wrong, it was a download only game back in the day before those things were standard. It was a novelty but I never took it seriously.

edit: just read the last comment, have a good time!

Cen
04-19-2020, 11:54 PM
So I picked this up having no experience with the previous version and I'm liking it quite a lot.

It's like a much better Total War game with the main loop being RTS not turn-based which is awesome because that turn-based shit makes simulations into puzzles.

I like the open world that allows you to just play how you like. I like the combat with the zooming around on my horse with my awesome bow and my posse of also-awesome elite horse archers. I love the army mechanics where you spend influence to throw other people's troops into the meatgrinder, just like IRL. I like dressing up my Aserai in the latest they're-not-really-Romans armor. I like that there's three games going on here; the first one is your typical RPG where you gather a party and loots and get better at skills and the second one where you're part of a kingdom, rising in influence and gathering fiefs and participating in internecine conflicts, and the final phase where you have your own country and it's time to rock-n-roll. Really just a LOT of stuff to do here.

The game is in early access and it shows. Yesterday's patch totally broke the economy and all the cities are starving. Tons and tons of bugs and missing features and stuff that just doesn't work.

edit: fucking sieges are awesome! I got a giant polearm I'm the first up the ladder just start swinging that shit back and forth then the rest of my guys climb up then we clear the battlements and next thing I'm on top of a tower shooting gate defenders in the back so much fun. Also the music is just perfect. Tuh dum dum dum tuh dum dum tah dah I just want to march all day.

As a big MB fan, glad to read all this. They fixed the issues you mentioned in a hotfix. There are daily patches and its going to be great. There's no other game that combines all the elements you have here at once, its like mixing total war with crusader kings but a little bit of a solo RPG all in one.

Lojik
04-20-2020, 12:30 AM
Lots of people bought it early release on steam, I think the influx of cash will be good for them to finish developing. I've never participated in an EA before, but it seems like they're really on top of releasing patches etc. (they patched everyday for the first...8 days or something) and they seem to listen to at least some of the main complaints.

Many issues need to be worked out, I think they're still going to change some combat mechanics too. Lots of optimization issues need to be fixed, mem leaks etc. I am going to hold off playing it, I think all the updates and grinding through all the bugs would burn me out. I just hope they don't settle for "good enough" on some of the mechanics and just copy warband for the crappy stuff, like poorly designed bandit hideout clearing and not enough quests.

If you mostly played warband SP and you're looking forward mostly to SP and mods, I think this will be a great game upon full release, whenever that is. While the graphics look like they'd be good in like 2010, I think that's pretty damn good when you remember that there's potentially THOUSANDS of AI scripts running. I can only imagine how awesome the mods for this game are going to be. Here's just a cheer mod (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngazrjpqPQ)

If you played warband MP just sieges and stuff just for fun, this looks pretty good too, I haven't jumped in MP yet but looks pretty damn fun.

If you played warband MP and you were like serious about dueling and being one of the top players you'll probably dislike a lot of the changes they put in, block delays and smaller hitboxes etc. They might tweak this stuff...at the moment it's almost impossible to time chamberblocks now. However, the combat mechanics now are much more complex, not just block but also passive block and active block (parry,) different stances, weapon handling stat, balanced and unbalanced swings, and chaining attacks.