PDA

View Full Version : Will I have a tough time on Green server with these classes?

Thelonious_Drunk
02-11-2020, 12:12 AM
Since the inception of Green on Project 1999 i've been anticipating getting back into EQ. I've never enjoyed playing any caster classes in Everquest, and in classic that leaves me with a tough choice.

I really only like to play Warrior, Ranger, and Paladin. I understand there are still EXP penalties in effect for the hybrid type classes, is it painstaking? Are these classes super gear dependent? Will I have a tough time early on?

What class of the three I chose will have an easier time grouping, making plat?

I've considered playing monk, since I do enjoy melee over any other type of gameplay but for some reason I can't get into the whole "lore" of the monk style. But I think I may have more fun in the end because they seem to be more dynamic than other melee classes.

I enjoy the plate wearing/mail wearing, sword yielding, melee combatant, in the front lines of battle type of gameplay, I also like to be useful and dynamic.

Lampolo
03-13-2020, 02:48 PM
War>SK>Pal in almost every situation except when there's bad DPS, which will be most of the time lol. War is so much better unless your looking for the trickery that an SK gets with the FD, pet, spells, clicks. Pal is only good for eating Death Touch

Lampolo
03-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Ranger good for Death Touch too

magnetaress
03-13-2020, 03:21 PM
Don't let people fool you, now is a good time to have a lot of fun with a lower lvl melee, hybrid, just don't expect end game to be a breeze, everyone here is really competitive and not really into RP so much.

But a ranger is awesome fun. Go for it. Make friends. Friends are more important than pixels. You can help people farm stuff on a ranger too )

gherron
03-13-2020, 09:15 PM
One factor to think about is what your goals are.

-Just level 50 and mess around/explore solo? Ranger> pal> warrior

-Need to solo a lot? Pal> ranger (no panic animal till velious)> warrior

-actively raid with a guild? War> pal > ranger

-not planning for 50 and wanna do dungeons? Pal=ranger > warrior

-Fashion Quest? Pal > war > ranger

Edit: for what it’s worth I’m a 50 ranger.

magnetaress
03-13-2020, 09:48 PM
Rangers are more fashionable then pals. IMO

gherron
03-13-2020, 10:44 PM
Rangers are more fashionable then pals. IMO

Erud paladin in full plate and soul fire vs my ranger in full mithril. Erud pal wins

Spineripper
03-13-2020, 10:45 PM
Paladins the best :)

Fammaden
03-13-2020, 11:02 PM
Play the monk. If anyone comes in here after me and tells you not to because "Iksars something something hurr durr" ignore them.

gherron
03-13-2020, 11:44 PM
Play the monk. If anyone comes in here after me and tells you not to because "Iksars something something hurr durr" ignore them.

Agreed. The regen is great of course but with the Iksar penalty + monk penalty, you’re essentially playing a hybrid with that 40% penalty

Faxi
03-13-2020, 11:52 PM

cmon dont mislead him. In truth, Iksar is clearly the superior choice for monk. everyone knows this. the OP is asking "will I have a tough time with these classes?"... Iksar monk will have a much easier time than human which is why 9/10 monks are Iksar. requires more exp but: AC bonus that stacks, Regen that stacks, swimming, night vision, forage. iksar

trust me, i hate the fact that SOE made Iksar so overpowered but this is the Norrath we live in. id say gherron's first reply is the way to go

Lampolo
03-14-2020, 12:08 AM
Basically as a Paladin or Ranger there is always going to be a class better than you at any given task. They are well known to be the two most gimped classes. I don't know if these guys are trolling or if they are just noobs. I would only recommend those two classes for RP or fashion. If you want melee and you don't want to be a gimp your stuck with War, Monk, Rog and SK. SK may receive some hate for being a hybrid but they seem to be loved by noobs for the snap aggro.

Lampolo
03-14-2020, 12:09 AM
If you have a chance to test Iksar regen vs Human it may cause you to reroll when your laying there FD waiting for some HP. That is also something to consider

Videri
03-14-2020, 12:24 AM
Maybe he can play one of his favored melee classes, then make a monk at Kunark.

It's certainly more typical to have one farm character to gather plat and items (like an enchanter, necro, mage, or even bard) and one melee character to twink with it all (monk, rogue, warrior, ranger, other). However, a level 50 character of virtually any class can at least gather platinum; and Kunark is many months away.

Tethler
03-14-2020, 05:46 AM
Basically as a Paladin or Ranger there is always going to be a class better than you at any given task. They are well known to be the two most gimped classes. I don't know if these guys are trolling or if they are just noobs. I would only recommend those two classes for RP or fashion. If you want melee and you don't want to be a gimp your stuck with War, Monk, Rog and SK. SK may receive some hate for being a hybrid but they seem to be loved by noobs for the snap aggro.

Paladin and Ranger both have their niche. Paladin (and SK) are both better tanks in non-raid leveling content. Ranger as an outdoor puller. You also say that rogue is good in classic with this terrible weapon itemization? In Kunark, and particularly after epics, rogues are great. Now? Nah.

You're in here calling people noobs, but it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about yourself.

Lampolo
03-14-2020, 11:32 AM
Paladin (and SK) are both better tanks in non-raid leveling content.

This is a typical noob opinion. The reason you would think this is because your so bad at playing you need the tank to have snap aggro. A warriors superior mitigation and dps make them a better tank for non-raid leveling. Warriors are better for trios, groups, raids.

magnetaress
03-14-2020, 11:38 AM
There is also something special about being the only human monk worshipping Quellious left on the box with VP loot making everything trivial anyway after 3 years.

El-Hefe
03-14-2020, 01:37 PM
This is a typical noob opinion. The reason you would think this is because your so bad at playing you need the tank to have snap aggro. A warriors superior mitigation and dps make them a better tank for non-raid leveling. Warriors are better for trios, groups, raids.

Nah.

Issar
03-14-2020, 03:28 PM
your so bad

You're so bad...

You can thank me later, when you land a job and begin earning your way to financial independence.

Tethler
03-16-2020, 01:01 AM

Nope

Chinetter
03-22-2020, 12:18 AM
Some current data of the Green server population which I just posted:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353063

unleashedd
03-30-2020, 07:49 AM
warrior agro is only a problem for impatient dps and bad cc

Guesty07
03-30-2020, 09:49 AM
warrior agro is only a problem for impatient dps and bad cc

Like when rogues hit backstab button immediately after the monster has been engaged by a warrior lol

Gustoo
03-30-2020, 12:03 PM
Warrior is best class in the game, definitely roll warrior.

Ranger or Paladin or SK are also great classes. SK would be my pick for big race and feign death utility.

BlackBellamy
03-30-2020, 12:51 PM
is it painstaking?

Are these classes super gear dependent?

Will I have a tough time early on?

What class of the three I chose will have an easier time grouping?

making plat?

yes

yes

yes

warrior

none