PDA

View Full Version : I am remaking Kelethin in a more modern engine here's a preview.

Chewybunny
02-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Hey y'all, a long while ago I posted very early parts of this personal project of mine, remaking Kelethin (and Greater Faydark) in a more modern game engine, but I have a fairly good result to show off now: https://youtu.be/316ycW1d808

I am also in early stages of having Kelethin in VRChat, so you can mess around in that as well.

Check it out:
https://youtu.be/316ycW1d808

Smellybuttface
02-07-2020, 11:33 PM
Wow, that’s really impressive. Are you doing it just as a pet project? It’s too bad there’s not going to be a new iteration of EQ, I’d love to see all the zones with this level of graphics.

Izmael
02-08-2020, 05:43 AM
Amazing!

What is the engine and what is your project?

Chewybunny
02-08-2020, 06:23 AM
@smellybuttface yes it's a personal project of mine, something I started in 2013, but then took a hiatus on working on it for several years. I recently returned to it as part of a portfolio piece, but with things like VRChat I want to take it further. One day I'd like to re-imagine a lot of the other favorite zones of mine, the next one being probably East Karana.

@Izmael
I made everything in 3d Studio Max, and textures in photoshop. I put everything into Unity3D, and all the fX, modeling, lighting etc, was my doing. The only exception is the melody.

Asteria
02-08-2020, 09:16 AM
Well done port of Kelethin!! :D Thanks for sharing this with us all.

SmallpaulTZ
02-08-2020, 11:26 PM
Great work there mate. Lovely job! :)

You know, it makes you think what several people working on a project like this, or Daybreak getting a clue and doing it for EQ and several expansions, wouldn’t have a viable product that folks would pay a subscription for?

Honestly, I probably would :)

Chewybunny
02-09-2020, 05:36 AM
Maybe Daybreak can give me a job doing this :D

derpcake2
02-09-2020, 07:06 AM
Maybe Daybreak can give me a job doing this :D

Daybreak doesn't employ talent, or at least doesn't give employees the chance to show it.

shovelquest
02-09-2020, 07:34 PM
Your bridges are upside down!

But cool :)

But flip those bridges! :o

Smellybuttface
02-09-2020, 10:24 PM
Your bridges are upside down!

But cool :)

But flip those bridges! :o

Please god no. Keep the handrails. My clumsy ass doesn’t need to fall off Kelethin anymore than I already have.

PDX0621
02-10-2020, 02:17 AM
That is a truly incredible piece of work. Well done!

Danth
02-10-2020, 06:37 AM
Hey y'all, a long while ago I posted very early parts of this personal project of mine, remaking Kelethin (and Greater Faydark) in a more modern game engine, but I have a fairly good result to show off now:

Great work. I think you do a good job of demonstrating--very effectively--that EQ's art style remains quite sound. The game's art suffers severely from the limitations imposed by the technological realities of its mid/late 90's era but there's nothing wrong with the concept.

Do the buildings in your construction have interiors?

Danth

Mblake81
02-10-2020, 08:54 AM
Please god no. Keep the handrails. My clumsy ass doesn’t need to fall off Kelethin anymore than I already have.

Nerf padding the fake worlds of escape.

koala
02-10-2020, 09:12 AM
I really love this. I wish EQ2 had been something like this instead.

Dac321
02-10-2020, 10:20 AM
I enjoyed this thoroughly.

Great work.

Luci
02-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Really lovely, very impressive, thank you for sharing!

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
02-10-2020, 12:40 PM
Excellent stuff! looks amazing

loramin
02-10-2020, 01:22 PM
That looks so amazing, like a trailer for EverQuest 3. Please do the following, if it's not too much trouble:

1. Quit your day job

2. Rename this to "Calathin" (to avoid being sued)

3. Publish it as a zone in the new game you then build and release, with a completely unique and original name: OngoingQuest ;)

Bigsham
02-10-2020, 03:39 PM
this is unbelieveable can you do the entire game please so i can play it?

they keep coming out with new garbage games i dont want to play, i want EQ Remastered 1!!!!!!

dwmaze
02-10-2020, 04:32 PM
Wow, that looks really amazing. Nice job! But who do you think you are adding rails around the platforms? The elven blood sacrifices must continue - Tunare demands it.

magnetaress
02-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Your kelethin work is greatly appreciated.

I like the limitations of the 90s engine environment. Would love to explore a modern game designed in the old style with detailed pixels.

Modern games have too much going on, are visually noisy, architecturally simple, overly linear. "loot tubes" with lots of shiny rocks.

Runneye, Sola, guK > deadmines, eternal palace...

Mblake81
02-10-2020, 04:58 PM
The game's art suffers severely from the limitations imposed by the technological realities of its mid/late 90's era

I doubt a new version would exceed it, in fact it might be the reverse.

https://i.imgur.com/plNTkas.jpg

Mblake81
02-10-2020, 05:10 PM
I like the limitations of the 90s engine environment. Would love to explore a modern game designed in the old style with detailed pixels.

Modern games have too much going on, are visually noisy, architecturally simple, overly linear. "loot tubes" with lots of shiny rocks.

What is this thing I see in so many new games with the graphics that have a plastic like quality. I have circled some examples in this EQNext screenshot.

No dungeons and dragons here but you did get a parkour Lion-O character that make the redditors holla.

https://i.imgur.com/a8N2e3f.jpg

Chewybunny
02-10-2020, 05:14 PM
That looks so amazing, like a trailer for EverQuest 3. Please do the following, if it's not too much trouble:

1. Quit your day job

2. Rename this to "Calathin" (to avoid being sued)

3. Publish it as a zone in the new game you then build and release, with a completely unique and original name: OngoingQuest ;)

Actually I am currently in between jobs which is why I had the time to really work on it again. My previous job kept me super busy.

I also have a VRChat version that is still in work in progress:
https://vrchat.com/home/launch?worldId=wrld_5e2f5a06-1465-49ad-88ae-681a124cb268

Chewybunny
02-10-2020, 05:16 PM
What is this thing I see in so many new games with the graphics that have a plastic like quality. I have circled some examples in this EQNext screenshot.

No dungeons and dragons here but you did get a parkour Lion-O character that make the redditors holla. (My generation, the 30 somethings that grew up with some of the best games, became so lame and crave even lamer things.)

https://i.imgur.com/a8N2e3f.jpg

I wasn't big on the cartoony EQNext style, at all. I wanted to keep the textures more realistic, with normal maps, specularity, metallic, things like that.

My goal is to eventually create the entirety of Greater Faydark re-imagined. Or if i get a bit exhausted by it, I also really wanted to do East Karana as well.

magnetaress
02-10-2020, 05:25 PM
I think it's bump maps, uv, normal maps that make stuff plastic-ish. It's supposed to give 2D textures depth, 3D detail, & lighting. I really personally find it gimmicky. That & the whole selection glow, quest objectives highlight thing.

Mblake81
02-10-2020, 05:26 PM
I wasn't big on the cartoony EQNext style, at all. I wanted to keep the textures more realistic, with normal maps, specularity, metallic, things like that.

My goal is to eventually create the entirety of Greater Faydark re-imagined. Or if i get a bit exhausted by it, I also really wanted to do East Karana as well.

So that was made for VRChat? I clicked the link. Seen something at the bottom that caught my eye. Got hit with a computer visual nostalgia that I can't put my finger on.

https://i.imgur.com/nPey8ew.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pk2lVyN.jpg

Edit: Where will Garrett enter to steal the loot?

Chewybunny
02-10-2020, 05:34 PM
So that was made for VRChat? I clicked the link. Seen something at the bottom that caught my eye. Got hit with a computer visual nostalgia that I can't put my finger on.

https://i.imgur.com/nPey8ew.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pk2lVyN.jpg

Edit: Where will Garrett enter to steal the loot?

Originally I did it as a fun personal project, to add to my portfolio, but about a year ago I discovered that lo-and-behold VRChat was made with Unity (the engine I am most familiar with, and work the most with), and figured I'd give it a shot. But due to my overwhelmingly difficult work schedule this past year I didn't have much of time to really delve into it. Sometime in January I left my job (they went a different direction and my position became kind of obsolete) and while I am in search of a new one I figured I'd give this a shot.

I have a version for VRChat that is currently public, but I am still working on it, I would like to eventually do the entire Greater Faydark in this manner. Although, with significant liberty to the zone, such as adding a wood elf village or two to the more "empty areas" to kind of give it a more realistic setting. I thought it would be neat to make the area near Crushbone more desolate, destroyed, with a lot of tree stumps (as if the Orcs were tearing down the trees) And make the area leading to Butcherblock, hilly, cragy, and gradually going upwards.

Bigsham
02-10-2020, 06:02 PM
the plastic like textures are what we got from wow, they run smooth and look good.

Mblake81
02-10-2020, 06:14 PM
the plastic like textures are what we got from wow, they run smooth and look good.

Hard Pass.

Whos alt btw?

aspomwell
02-10-2020, 06:21 PM
You left out the part where you fall off to your death...

Lammy
02-10-2020, 06:31 PM
That's nice. Did you make all of the assets yourself?

Chewybunny
02-10-2020, 06:46 PM
That's nice. Did you make all of the assets yourself?

Yes. Everything I modeled and textured, and all the fX and atmospheric things I also made.

Smellybuttface
02-10-2020, 06:49 PM
I doubt a new version would exceed it, in fact it might be the reverse.

https://i.imgur.com/plNTkas.jpg

My god, what I wouldnt give to have clip planes in P99 look like this.

Bigsham
02-10-2020, 08:54 PM
they did look like that, GFay has fog which prevented that, if you want to see what gfay looks like without fog log on the grand creation server and go see.

Chewybunny
02-18-2020, 03:55 AM
You left out the part where you fall off to your death...

When I was a young lad in 2000 my friend showed me EQ. as a UO player I thought this was a massive upgrade to what I wanted to play and asked him if he can buy me a copy and I will pay him back (I was 15). He gave me the instruction booklet to give me lore, and race/class ideas to play with while he went to get me a copy. All night I poured every detail, and after much thought I settled on playing a Wood Elf Ranger.
Finally, I got the game, downloaded the patch, logged in, and created my character.
And the first thing that I do is fall of Kelethin.

It was traumatizing for me.

xabler
04-08-2020, 12:01 AM
Amazing. If only we had EQ Remastered with these graphics up to Velious.

Kaight
04-08-2020, 07:51 PM
Ain't NUTHIN like that Kelethin music.