PDA

View Full Version : How long before dropped items rot?

eddyystop1999
01-27-2020, 03:06 PM
I need to transfer plat/gear between some noob chars. The P99 program crashes most every time I log off a character. In addition to that, the chars are on separate accounts (old school habit).

I can't afford to pay someone to help me transfer, and I'd be anxious doing that anyway. Besides I need to transfer twice, outside Grobb and EFP.

How long do I have between dropping an item/bag and having another char pick it up?

Videri
01-27-2020, 03:13 PM
About 5 minutes.

Lots of people will help with transfers for free. I’ve never seen someone steal a transfer.

mcoy
01-27-2020, 03:23 PM
Stealing is also bannable so just ask anyone high(ish) level and in a reputable guild.

If you do ground xfer - note that staff will not reimburse you for any lost items. If someone picks it up it's basically finders-keepers.

-Mcoy

aspomwell
01-27-2020, 05:38 PM
Also, you can't drop coin. To transfer money you'll need to hand it off to someone.

Having said that, I've done the drop item/transfer thing at least a dozen times, with a couple client crashes while logging the second guy in. I haven't lost an item/bag yet.

VexNemox
01-27-2020, 09:47 PM
Also, you can't drop coin. To transfer money you'll need to hand it off to someone.

Having said that, I've done the drop item/transfer thing at least a dozen times, with a couple client crashes while logging the second guy in. I haven't lost an item/bag yet.

I had as well until today, lost some stuff, but I knew the risks. The biggest problem is the crashing this game does >90% of every time I camp, it just can't make it to the character selection screen...

mcoy
01-27-2020, 10:41 PM
I had as well until today, lost some stuff, but I knew the risks. The biggest problem is the crashing this game does >90% of every time I camp, it just can't make it to the character selection screen...

Set compatibility on eqgame.exe to XP SP2 (or SP3).

-Mcoy

VexNemox
01-28-2020, 12:10 AM

-Mcoy

Tried both, neither worked.

DMN
01-28-2020, 12:42 AM
Tried both, neither worked.

Your best bet then is to simply /ex or /q from the game instead of trying to camp. As long as your other character is close by you should have no trouble getting the item in time.

Swish
01-28-2020, 04:18 AM
Your best bet then is to simply /ex or /q from the game instead of trying to camp. As long as your other character is close by you should have no trouble getting the item in time.

Drop your items on "5 seconds to go", that way you don't have the IP lockout to consider when you're logging across to another character/account.

Also OP, consider handing your items to a Dial A Port porter... for a tip I'm sure they'd appreciate, they're usually awesome at doing trades like that.

DMN
01-28-2020, 04:36 AM
Drop your items on "5 seconds to go", that way you don't have the IP lockout to consider when you're logging across to another character/account.

Also OP, consider handing your items to a Dial A Port porter... for a tip I'm sure they'd appreciate, they're usually awesome at doing trades like that.

Good lord, read. He's not talking about successfully logging out. He's talking about crashing, which will keep the character locked in until a full timeout period lapses.

VexNemox
01-28-2020, 11:41 AM

-Mcoy

Coming back to this thread because I followed your advice as previously stated and it didn't work BUT I changed the setting on the wrong executable, I had set Everquest.exe to compatibility modes, which of course did nothing. After paying attention and following your advice I am not getting crashes on camping now. Thanks.

Mattvvx
02-01-2020, 05:11 PM
VPN worked wonders from me, went from always crashing on logging out... crashing 20 times before I could get in to zoning 100 times before crashing!

Cen
02-02-2020, 12:05 AM
FYI, Swish, and anyone about the camp timer, if you camp, and crash after the camp timer ends, your not out of the game. You then are logged out a bit longer then if you had /quit from the point of the crash. Its like your logout is you losing connection ;D

Smellybuttface
02-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Usually people are pretty helpful with this sort of thing. Perhaps consider joining a guild, that way you can have some steady contact with the person helping to transfer.

I had someone recently just randomly come up to me in EC tunnel, hand me a Robe of the Oracle, and ask me to transfer it. Never talked to the person in my life. But I guess my dwarf has an honest face. He logged back on and I gave him the robe, no other words exchanged.

Of course back in the day on live around 2002/03, I gave a friend the gear from my ranger since I wasn't playing anymore. He tried to ground transfer the stuff to another character, and proceeded to lose all of it lol. It was an Iksar ceremonial breastplate, two lamentations, and quite a bit of other fairly high end gear. So be warned!