PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Soloing - 40+

gherron
01-26-2020, 06:47 PM
Currently soloing HGs in rathe. Do you guys have any other spots that may not be as camped? I was thinking of trying oggok guards but whittling ogre guards down through bow kiting seems rather tedious.

Yes I’ve checked the per-level hunting guide too but I think so have many others :(

Edit: This is also my first character/main so I can’t afford to buy high end stuff.

Robersonroger38
01-26-2020, 07:59 PM
Green server or blue?

gherron
01-26-2020, 08:26 PM
Green. So I can’t even fear kite animals.

Tenderizer
01-26-2020, 08:35 PM
why are you trying to solo 40+ on the most inefficient solo class? I would suggest getting groups because its just as fast if not faster in most groups.

YendorLootmonkey
01-26-2020, 08:35 PM
You're going to have a tough time... all your soloing ability in classic is going to be based on you avoiding getting hit as much as possible. As you mentioned, bow kiting is tedious. You get druid spells about 20 levels later than would be useful, so you're not going to be killing stuff with DoTs or DD spells without running out of mana and then being in a bad spot if you have to heal/snare/root to get out of trouble.

If you haven't already, buy one or two Ebony Bladed Swords so you are not spending mana rooting shit in place. You can use the time the mob is rooted to back off and heal up if needed.

Otherwise, face-tanking stuff that would give you experience at 40 is not going to be terribly efficient. I assume you are soloing because you are AFK a lot and/or can't commit to a group for whatever reason. Unfortunately, you picked a class that does not solo efficiently without gimmicky gear in Kunark (Swarmcaller, Earthcaller, Fungi Tunic, etc.) or until you get Panic Animal in Velious.

Your last option in Classic is trying to camp a bunch of Red Wood Wands and trying to find something open that you can quad AE down that isn't already camped by a class that can already do that naturally.

In most cases outdoors, a duo with a class that can Fear would be far more efficient for you.

Keebz
01-26-2020, 08:40 PM
HHK and MM have stuff to kill and are outdoors. I've done both. I've also done Sol A a bit early 40s, but the mr on gnomes is really annoying. There's probably stuff in CT as well.

Guards are doable but generally camped.

Wallicker
01-26-2020, 08:54 PM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Vhalen_Nostrolo

Wallicker
01-26-2020, 08:56 PM
If mistress Anna is 6min she would be great in Highkeep

Cecily
01-27-2020, 02:48 PM
Ranger is a bad time soloing without a fungi.

gherron
01-27-2020, 08:34 PM
I was able to get groups from like 1-39 pretty easily. But with a combo of my work schedule and the merger, I have been forced to solo with my limited time online. I would love to group as I’m more of a social player, but times are tough...

Molitoth
01-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Back in P99 Blue Classic, I spent 35-45 duo'ing at the Kedge zone in.

Find someone to duo with, solo isn't efficient.

Rhambuk
01-28-2020, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure how different green is from blue but i solod oggok guards on my ranger with 2hs. He want crazy twinked, dots and self heal between swings if things get real shaky root him and step back to bow/nuke between healed then get back in there. I can't remember what weapon i used but having 2h made soloing so much easier.

Lartanin63
01-29-2020, 03:26 AM
I'd hit up RM and pick a static HG and ride it out. Might get a petrifin tag as well.

Adron
01-30-2020, 12:34 PM
2 static spawns in WK of hill giants,
North karana would give you wandering HG's (3?), plus griffons, which are easier for you by a good bit
East karana, 1 HG static spawn, 1 static griffon spawn

Adron
01-30-2020, 01:00 PM
Oh, spectres in Feerott as well

Ennewi
01-30-2020, 06:09 PM
2 static spawns in WK of hill giants,
North karana would give you wandering HG's (3?), plus griffons, which are easier for you by a good bit
East karana, 1 HG static spawn, 1 static griffon spawn

Have seen a maximum of 4 HGs up at once in NK; same for Oasis, though there seem to be more potential spawnpoints for SGs there.

hewopepweow
02-05-2020, 04:51 PM
I've solod my ranger from 40-45 on green at the moment. It hasn't been the fastest but its been the most doable. Solo somewhere with a Zem and some easy blues (Uguk, MM, CT)

magnetaress
03-12-2020, 04:43 AM
I just grind coin or camp rares when I don't really have the time to play seriously

Go inside mm the back way. With harmony n roots u r a killing machine. Will be a lot easier @ 46+ camp, snare, root to split spawns an single pull

could probably snipe like, 3 HGs a day with bow n dot kites also

Root swards r amazing n give free med time

Wallicker
03-12-2020, 07:47 AM
I killed a 4th floor guard in Highkeep that gave me exp at 50 yesterday... I’d imagine you’d get pretty solid xp til 46 up there even if it’s dark greens with that zem, bonus it’s flagged outdoor zone, good loot and no casters or resistant mobs. Mytin, Kheb, Sintra always seem to be on the higher end of the lvl spectrum so maybe start with those 3 and maybe Gechop if you can handle at 4th before repops since he paths?

For WK or NK mobs such as Griffon + HG you can alternate pulls to the double guard tower and a single guard pather(guards are lvl 30) the monster will kill guard(s) but they will do quite a bit of free dmg then you finish off.

Snaggles
03-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Yea classic solo with a ranger is tough with good gear unless you are fighting close to someone selling vendor arrows and have resistant carpals.

I'd level the ranger and another toon at the same time. Can't get a group, bounce to the other. Maybe drop the groups a note that you're ready to join if you are needed.

Freakish
03-13-2020, 08:34 AM
I haven't played green, why can't you fear kite animals? Is that spell a later addition?

afelipe1189
03-13-2020, 11:20 AM
Velious spell

Kanuvan
03-16-2020, 01:28 PM
i know this thread is old now but sola goblins at 40 are light/dark green and still give xp, and since the modifier is so massive the xp is still acceptable even on my monk with a 20% xp penalty, might be a problem geting singles though

still just group the majority of the time since its simply way better xp

gherron
03-16-2020, 08:42 PM
I’m the OP and had hit 50 a while ago. From other threads that I read (primarily Laratin’s) seems like the best solo options for rangers are:

40-45 HGs at rathe mountains
45+ Oggok guards

Soloing without harmony was a bit too much.

Adron
03-16-2020, 09:12 PM
in addition to rathe mts, there are hg's in east k, west k, sand giants in sro/oasis, and spectres in various places (which are easier by far than hill giants). griffons, including a 6 min spawn in a static point in east k, are also easier than hill giants.
It is insanely easy to solo on a level 40 ranger. a full mana bar, bow shots in between nukes, trotting backwards from a sowed critter, and then doing a meager amt of melee towards the 50-30% health mark of the critter, with a damage shield on yourself, no problem. random number generater screwing you even when the critter is at 30%? root and med, bowshot in between med tics.

Lartanin63
03-17-2020, 11:40 AM
HG were suggested back when I made the guide for best gains for your kills, spectres are lower hp than hg for sure, only issue with that is they are undead and your bow damage is like min 6 dmg every shot. They proc that stupid stun and can range life tap. If you got the mana around 45ish you can just dot and lightning strike em down. Ive been messing around recently looking for some other solo spots. Pretty limited on non casters if you don't want to kill guards. I'll let you guys know if I find something different since I'm skipping oggok guards this time around since I have a mask and they seem over camped. There is a rogue in lake rathe that can be soloed and I believe he's 37, hits kinda hard and seems a bit higher on resist. But bow lightning and dots do the trick. I just snared him since root seems to break way more and the island has limited room. Only downside is he doesn't drop anything, not even coin. He is an option though.

YendorLootmonkey
03-17-2020, 01:05 PM
You can solo lancers in the first room in Kedge until they stop giving XP (low to mid 40s?) Lull whatever you can see with Calm Animal (this one isn't like Harmony, it can and will resist, and even aggro), especially the piercer/impaler, and then pull a lancer to the zoneline. If more than one show up, root one and zone to split.

Ebony Bladed Swords are key here, so you can root-lock the lancer mana free in case you need to back off and heal. If you get into any trouble, the zoneline is right there.

Kind of mana intensive between Calm Animal, keeping EB up, etc.

I don't believe Kedge has the good ZEM on Green server (at least it doesn't seem like it), so probably not worth the hassle/tedium to solo... but you guys are talking about bowkiting shit -- in which case maybe you enjoy tedium so I thought I'd throw it out there... LOL

encopitt
03-27-2020, 04:29 AM
why are you trying to solo 40+ on the most inefficient solo class? I would suggest getting groups because its just as fast if not faster in most groups.

Cause of the stigma rangers got back in the day when no one understood XP penalties.

Choice 1... spend hours in LFG, paying for ports and finding out
1.your spot was taken enroute
2. the new guy won't group with hybrids
3. you already have a dru or war in the group

Choice 2... spend hours kiting high green, low blue mobs to try and catch up to your friends who will actually group with you?

-encopitt

Christina.
03-27-2020, 03:52 PM
Don't solo, level up in groups...

Get planar, kunark then velious gear then continue grouping hehe

Lartanin63
04-09-2020, 02:48 PM
So I found an alright solo spot from like 40-44/45. Down the cooks hall in mistmoore, there is the 4 spawn gargs . Can Harmony and single em to that corner and it's a safe spot. They don't run because of proximity to other mobs, trains are minimal if non existent as long as noone is at servents. Main issues if the higher level ones hit kinda hard, the enchanter mob in noble room cast rune and j belive haste. One other mob can cast damage shield. Usually need to dispell before pulling till you get them broke. This is straight tank and spank spot. Easier gargs green out at 44, but still offer exp and eye money potential. I've moved on to specters and I'm about ready to finish 44.

phloridaman
05-06-2020, 03:22 PM
Any advice for a 31 Ranger on soloing (Green)? I have decent gear from hustling EC and love to bow kite in open spaces. I was doing mammoths, but that XP started to suck at 30. In CT now, but too many casters. The groups have been fun though and the ZEM is nice. Any outdoor spots to kite I should consider soon? Maybe Mistmoore? I think the ZEM got nerfed though.

Gustoo
05-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Kinda sucks until luclin when you can do cougars and than stuff in great divide with panic animal.

Otherwise just any mob you can find in a big outdoor zone, which becomes pretty limited pre kunark.

I suggest a group

YendorLootmonkey
05-06-2020, 05:20 PM
I love to bow kite in open spaces.

Go talk to Ivory on these forums. Mention archery.

Otherwise, prior to getting Panic Animal in Velious, it's probably way less tedious and quicker to group up for XP. At least duo with a class that can Fear.

magnetaress
05-06-2020, 05:24 PM
I seen some rangers wearing like solro armor and mithral with like, root swords and stuff soloing in mm, but that is about it, i probaby already replied to this thread way back when, panic animal is cool

Gustoo
05-06-2020, 05:48 PM
Swarmcaller in kunark is game changer also

So kinda...classic is rough. Go get that one twig 2/10 or whatever from the planes that will help.

Molitoth
05-06-2020, 09:30 PM
I did Kedge Keep zone in for quite awhile back in Blue Classic as a solo/duo.
It's been 10 years, but I think it was from like 35-43 ish?

Keebz
05-07-2020, 03:09 AM
Anyone have ideas for 49?

Steamfont guards have greened out and HHK nobles are too much hassle with the splitting and the wanderers. I'm considering mowing down high green gnomes in sol a or checking out neriak guards again, though they might be green at this point as well.

I am grouping when I can (primarily in HHK, because sol b is slow and I find guk to be terrible without self ivu), but like to grind out some exp when no one is biting.

bricke75
05-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Kinda sucks until luclin when you can do cougars and than stuff in great divide with panic animal.

Otherwise just any mob you can find in a big outdoor zone, which becomes pretty limited pre kunark.

I suggest a group

Panic Animal is in game now, it's a lvl 22 spell.

YendorLootmonkey
05-07-2020, 03:46 PM
Panic Animal is in game now, it's a lvl 22 spell.

Not on Green for rangers it isn't. If it is, that's a bug report that needs to be filed.

Adron
05-07-2020, 07:38 PM
for 49, the two level 37 bouncers in Feerott. or, you know, any of the Hill/sand giant zones. or the outside spec in feerott (still blue i think?).

Griffons in NK...etc.

for 31... Griffenes in NK? South K aviak harriers and avocets, cent corsairs and chargers.

gherron
05-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Not on Green for rangers it isn't. If it is, that's a bug report that needs to be filed.

Oh I can't wait to try and mem the spell when I get online later. Will report/petition if the bug is there.

YendorLootmonkey
05-08-2020, 02:07 PM
Oh I can't wait to try and mem the spell when I get online later. Will report/petition if the bug is there.

Pretty sure the class/level restrictions on it say RNG(255)

Lartanin63
05-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Panic animal isn't usable on green. Mistmoore is my suggestion for soloing at 30s. Population dropped when. Exp got modified. U can Harmony/invs and focus on just the melee mobs. Use your root swords and tank and spank and move back and root for/bow med if you got to. You can kill crap in there till like 44 or something. SK is an option for soloing gnoll scrolls or aviaks through your 30s to 40s. 49 I'd just kill gripphons/hg or specs.

encopitt
05-11-2020, 01:08 AM
Well, I'm 2 zones away from hitting 46 with gnoll scroll turnins (which will get you about1.5 to 2% at that level, so not great, but something) and HGs in the karanas is the only good xp I could get solo. Problem is, even though you can track em halfway across the zone, you always gotta double check that they're not tagged by someone else soon as they are in sight.

-encopitt