PDA

View Full Version : Mage damage shield potentially adding threat to caster.

Balimon
01-26-2020, 12:33 PM
Any other mages out there find that our damage shield is adding to our threat? I haven't done any tests to see if the damage is counted as ours ( although I suspect that it is ), however I have noticed that when chaining a pet it takes quite some time for it to snap aggro.

When I don't cast damage shield, the pet picks up aggro right away. I've done some limiting testing so far and before I commit to a bunch of tests with logs etc I would like to see what other people's experiences are first.

Dolalin
01-26-2020, 05:36 PM
When your pet fights a mob, part of the hate it generates goes to you. When you kill the pet (or it dies), that hate on you remains, and your new pet has to beat your hate to taunt the mob off. Nothing to do with the DS.

Balimon
01-26-2020, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the response. I understand what you're saying and invite you to test it yourself. Comparing my blue mage to green mage it's night and day. Even with whatever small hate I acrue generally a pet snaps aggro within a couple of seconds. On green (when using DS) it takes until a pet taunt or root, sometimes 15-20 seconds.

DMN
01-26-2020, 09:28 PM
As long as the mob doesn't have aggro on your pet and sees you cast the damage shield on it, your DS does not contribute any additonal hate towards you. it's purely neutral damage. I'm ot sure whats going on with getting aggro on chained pet ive seen mages complain about it on green, but your pet should be able to get aggro back in not to long as long s you ave done nothing else to make the mob hate you.

Christina.
01-27-2020, 03:25 AM
When your pet fights a mob, part of the hate it generates goes to you. When you kill the pet (or it dies), that hate on you remains, and your new pet has to beat your hate to taunt the mob off. Nothing to do with the DS.

This.

Velerin
01-27-2020, 08:38 AM
I’ve seen some strange things on agro since coming back to green. For instance when I’m farming green trash I’ll pull stuff with tash (supposedly capped agro on pulling) and my pet will have to get the thing to like 30-40% health before it’ll turn on him.

DMN
01-27-2020, 09:25 AM
I’ve seen some strange things on agro since coming back to green. For instance when I’m farming green trash I’ll pull stuff with tash (supposedly capped agro on pulling) and my pet will have to get the thing to like 30-40% health before it’ll turn on him.

You are too near the mob after pet engages. make sure to run way from mob -- strafe run and try to run around corners if ina dungeon because mobs move slower around them. When you get more seperation from the mob you will fid that the pet pulls aggro much quicker. Also use your best haste...

Balimon
01-27-2020, 10:34 PM
I appreciate the responses guys, but please understand that I do understand how pet aggro works. I'm having a buggy issue and looking for help not people regurgitating the same information.

/sigh, guess I'll have to just to do all the testing and do the bug report by myself then.

Vaarsuvius
01-29-2020, 08:54 AM
I appreciate the responses guys, but please understand that I do understand how pet aggro works. I'm having a buggy issue and looking for help not people regurgitating the same information.

/sigh, guess I'll have to just to do all the testing and do the bug report by myself then.

Hello all,

If I remember correctly from my previous life as a 75 MAG on the Rathe, any debuff spell (Malo, etc.) will land you a lot of aggro (more so when it gets resisted and you have to cast it a couple more times before it finally lands), and your pet might have to work for a bit before it gets first on the mob(s) hate list. I don't know whether damage caused by a pet transfers to you when it dies in case you're chain summoning though.

I'm only 13 atm on Blue having fun in Crushbone with DSed Water pet regularly engaging 3-4 mobs, and I've never had any mob make a beeline for me, even after using our lvl12 AoE (Column of Fire) once my pet has hit them/ caused a few DS hits.

So I would be tempted to say that DS damage sticks to your pet, but I'm not sure low level pets work as higher level ones do on p99.

Hope this helps,

Vaarsuvius

Bulzie
02-05-2020, 11:50 AM
I was coming to start a Thread on this issue also. Something in one of the last 3 patches changed to where we get aggro from our pets even if we do no dmg to the mob. Sometimes if a pet casts a spell it picks up the mob quickly but most times the mob runs faster then the pet and we have to run around before the mob can hit it enough times to get aggro. This effectively has killed Mage solo and chain pet casting. Mages do not get any cc so this is a lame change whatever it is.

I did some brief testing and looks like if the 2nd pet comes soon after the first pet does some dmg and is sent away, the 2nd pet picks up mob right away. But if the pet does say 10sec or more of dmg on the mob, then it takes even more time for the pet to pick up the mob.

Anyone know if there was something in one of the patches on this or is this a bug?

Balimon
02-05-2020, 11:48 PM
It's some kind of bug that started during the green patches. I was playing my blue mage exclusively right before that and didn't have any issues.

The problem is no one believes us and thinks we're imagining things or just not understanding mechanics and then proceed to explain how it's supposed to work again...and again...and again.

I haven't done super thorough testing but whenever I don't use my DS I can chain pet's no problem and have zero issues having him pick up the mob during chain summons.

Guess I've just been too lazy to put together the evidence and bug report it.

Bulzie
02-17-2020, 02:37 AM
It is not the dmg shield, i used 54 water pet with water staff, when i recast new pet, the mob just ran thru it and came at me. So no dmg shield was on them. Something was changed and we need it changed back to where mages will not get aggro if not doing dmg. We are squishy enough as it is.

Natewest1987
02-17-2020, 03:07 AM
Honestly I’m more interested in why it takes so many casts to get a decent earth pet than fire. Lol. 🤷*♂️😑.

Wallicker
02-17-2020, 12:16 PM
It is not the dmg shield, i used 54 water pet with water staff, when i recast new pet, the mob just ran thru it and came at me. So no dmg shield was on them. Something was changed and we need it changed back to where mages will not get aggro if not doing dmg. We are squishy enough as it is.

If you cast a spell on your pet mid combat, then chain a new pet, once first one dies all that aggro is just going to transfer to you. If you are chaining pets on something only chain pets do nothing else.

Balimon
02-18-2020, 12:06 AM
If you cast a spell on your pet mid combat, then chain a new pet, once first one dies all that aggro is just going to transfer to you. If you are chaining pets on something only chain pets do nothing else.

This does seem to help, but 90% of the time I cast DS before combat and do nothing else but med and still have issues.

Christina.
02-18-2020, 12:49 AM
If your pet is fighting something and it dies of course your going to get aggro lol damage shielded or not.

Balimon
02-19-2020, 04:29 PM
If your pet is fighting something and it dies of course your going to get aggro lol damage shielded or not.

Of course that's true, that's not what we're talking about. On green when chaining pets we are getting high aggro for seemingly no reason, whereas on blue (and I assume red) pets generally snap aggro almost immediately.

Natewest1987
02-20-2020, 01:14 AM
Had some strange situations tonight that made me wonder if this was happening. Was in a goblin group, had fire pet out. Damage shield on tank. Tank was fighting 2 monsters, myself not my pet never touched the second monster, but he came running right after me for no reason. I didn’t pull him. I was just standing with the group fighting the mobs on /assist. This happened several times through the night.

Christina.
02-20-2020, 06:34 AM
Of course that's true, that's not what we're talking about. On green when chaining pets we are getting high aggro for seemingly no reason, whereas on blue (and I assume red) pets generally snap aggro almost immediately.

Ah I see.

ultimatez2004
05-15-2020, 11:57 AM
This is still going on and is definitely a major issue for mages.

We get no CC. We don't have pet heal or mod rods in game yet. Root nets were already nerfed.

And we still can't chain summon properly since this change, the one and only major play in the mage's arsenal since classic in live that gave us the ability to solo SOME things with a lot of risk and dying and running oom before being able to summon another pet.

Meanwhile enchanters are still freely carrying on soloing everything in lguk with antics that have taken 20 years of exploiting and theorycrafting to abuse.

Can we PLEASE get some justice and balance as soon as possible? :(

axisofebola
05-15-2020, 03:18 PM
Meh, mages still require zero gear to be effective and are the highest DPS class in vanilla unless you start adding charm into the mix which is complicated to properly compare.

Balimon
05-17-2020, 12:09 AM
The problem is we don't really know why they aren't aggroing properly. I wasn't able to confirm the damage shield bit, and just don't understand the mechanics of what's not working right to let the devs know.