PDA

View Full Version : Erudite Caster Starting Stats (Agility) Poll

TheDudeAbides
01-23-2020, 10:31 PM
I've never rolled an Erudite Caster before but I have played an Erudite Paladin (Where the 5 points in agility at creation makes sense

I've scoured threads and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. The discussions are never class specific. Just a generalized "If you're an Erudite you must put 5 points into Agility)

I understand sub 75 AGI gives a significant hit to AC, but on a Necro for example does this really matter? You're not really tanking and you're a cloth class. It's not like you're rolling in AC to begin with and your gear does not give much AC anyways

Wouldn't those 5 points be better spent elsewhere?

DMN
01-23-2020, 10:54 PM
I've never rolled an Erudite Caster before but I have played an Erudite Paladin (Where the 5 points in agility at creation makes sense

I've scoured threads and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus. The discussions are never class specific. Just a generalized "If you're an Erudite you must put 5 points into Agility)

I understand sub 75 AGI gives a significant hit to AC, but on a Necro for example does this really matter? You're not really tanking and you're a cloth class. It's not like you're rolling in AC to begin with and your gear does not give much AC anyways

You picked perhaps the worst erudite to put the 5 points into agility because it's a class that makes good use of str, cha, sta, wis. Essentially those points could be doing you a lot of good elsewhere, while you simply just get yourself some silver plated leggings.

You gave a necro for an example, so where else you going to put the points on a necro? Sta? And get like 10 hit points at like level 60? Additionally casters are viable to kill things naked, so your naked stats will be more relevnt for CRs and such. And i don't even udnerstand he logic of "I aleady have low AC why should I care about getting more"? Would you say the same thing about hit points on a caster?

TheDudeAbides
01-23-2020, 11:10 PM
You picked perhaps the worst erudite to put the 5 points into agility because it's a class that makes good use of str, cha, sta, wis. Essentially those points could be doing you a lot of good elsewhere, while you simply just get yourself some silver plated leggings.

You gave a necro for an example, so where else you going to put the points on a necro? Sta? And get like 10 hit points at like level 60? Additionally casters are viable to kill things naked, so your naked stats will be more relevnt for CRs and such. And i don't even udnerstand he logic of "I aleady have low AC why should I care about getting more"? Would you say the same thing about hit points on a caster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgH9BxnfhMw

DMN
01-23-2020, 11:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgH9BxnfhMw

It's a good thing I wrote it, then.

TheDudeAbides
01-23-2020, 11:51 PM
It's a good thing I wrote it, then.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

DMN
01-23-2020, 11:55 PM

Yes, you've found the proper forum this should probably be posted in, since you don't seem to be interested in any qualitative discussion involving the topic.

TheDudeAbides
01-24-2020, 12:21 AM
Yes, you've found the proper forum this should probably be posted in, since you don't seem to be interested in any qualitative discussion involving the topic.

Pyrocat
01-24-2020, 12:48 AM
Erudite Paladin is a great choice. I would skip the 5 points in agility as you will almost assuredly get that from gear. If nothing else it makes the gear selection game more interesting.

Jimjam
01-24-2020, 04:37 AM
For real casters, not paladins, i would go 5 agi and then all remaining points in strength. Not a joke post.

Asteria
01-24-2020, 10:35 AM

I voted 5 in AGI like DMN said - I agree with him in this case.

Imagine thinking you gotta curse like a sailour to make something RnF-worthy and thinking that not cursing automatically makes you sound completely decent like DMN seems to.

Tecmos Deception
01-24-2020, 10:58 AM

I'd do the agility I think. You don't make a habit of getting hit, no, but when a FD fails and you need to survive until you can try again? When a charm breaks and you're suddenly being beat on? If you're trying to split a camp up and something goes wrong? If you're lifetap tanking something once in a blue moon? When you're on a CR or otherwise have no +agi gear? Those seem like enough reason to put the 5 points in there.

Chanter yes even moreso than necro.

Mage? Meh.

Wiz? Nah.

TheDudeAbides
01-25-2020, 12:56 AM
I'd do the agility I think. You don't make a habit of getting hit, no, but when a FD fails and you need to survive until you can try again? When a charm breaks and you're suddenly being beat on? If you're trying to split a camp up and something goes wrong? If you're lifetap tanking something once in a blue moon? When you're on a CR or otherwise have no +agi gear? Those seem like enough reason to put the 5 points in there.

Chanter yes even moreso than necro.

Mage? Meh.

Wiz? Nah.

Thank you for your reply

I was debating Necro or Enchanter. Both are very strong classes and with my work schedule I can only play at odd times and I wanted to play a decent solo class. I did put 5 points into AGI for the very reasons you stated. Regardless of class I don't want to rely on a piece of gear to get me over the cap.

Tough call between the two. Enchanter is clearly more powerful, but Necro has some interesting tools that seem like a lot of fun. Both classes are very self sufficient. Erudite has some interesting gear/quest choices down the road that appeal me as well (Mantle of Souls / Flayed Skin / Paineel Quests, ect)

I voted 5 in AGI like DMN said - I agree with him in this case.

Imagine thinking you gotta curse like a sailour to make something RnF-worthy and thinking that not cursing automatically makes you sound completely decent like DMN seems to.

The guy reminds me of this every time he posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6rtL_bOto

Wallicker
01-25-2020, 01:01 PM
No you will have some piece of gear that gives you 5 agi eventually