PDA

View Full Version : Art vs. Tech

hedbonker
04-26-2011, 01:28 PM
My husband tends to get hung up on technology...

Last night I pointed out something that I thought would make a cool pic. So he sets up a tripod with the DSLR and then decides that he has to have his wireless monitor to take the picture so he starts setting that up. He cannot find the power supply to the monitor so I leave him to it. I come back 30 minutes later and he is still looking for it. I go over to the camera, frame it, focus it, set exposure / WB and take the shot. I then pointed out to him that he did not need it and in the amount of time he pissed away looking for it I could have shot an entire fucking portfolio. Then the fight started.

Ihealyou
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
What is art?

hedbonker
04-26-2011, 04:11 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=What+is+art%3F

Ihealyou
04-26-2011, 04:19 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=is+let+me+google+that+for+you+art%3F

hedbonker
04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
It would appear the the results from your lmgtfy query were ambiguous. The query I provided was unambiguous in it's results as they pertain to your initial query.

Halflers: +1

toddfx
04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
While it's true the wireless monitor was obviously not required, I'd say what was done here was still very much technology assisted. Using a modern DSLR is already like 70% tech, while the other 30% art comes from the skillz to both notice a worthy subject and then to properly frame and light said subject.

Of course the percentage of art might go beyond that depending on what kind of purpose you have in art direction, but in general anything that uses modern day gadgets is very much digital art.

Not to say that is a bad thing, in fact I believe it's a very good thing. Digital art (although not necessary photography) is what my life revolves around. The melding of art and technology has no bounds, thus making it the best form of art there is today. It is certainly the fastest path from imagination to realization.

hedbonker
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
When technology impedes art, I step in :D

Arclyte
04-26-2011, 09:07 PM
philistine 4 lyfe

Sorn
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Sounds more like his skill with technology was impeding art. Technology is just another medium, after all.

No idea how time-sensitive your subject was, but I'm guessing whatever it was was just sitting there, so he felt like he could mess with all his shiny toys to get the best experience of taking a shot rather than just taking the damn shot.

hedbonker
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
It was a natural light shot - He had everything he needed to make the shot and make it great.

stonebeard22
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Has to have his wireless monitor to take the picture...

How does this help taking pictures? I'm a complete Camera Noob!

Klyre
05-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Sometimes art is not only in the finished product but in the process. Bonker, you gave him a project that I am assuming is a hobby of his.

My husband tends to get hung up on technology...

Last night I pointed out something that I thought would make a cool pic.

Sorry I left out some of your quote to save time.

So for him he was dinking around with his hobby, which I am sure is part of the enjoyment for him. Could he have just walked up and snapped a picture? Yeah, probably, but some of the enjoyment comes in the preparation.

If you were having friends over for a meal and you were setting the table with all your best dishes and he came along and brought out paper plates and said that this would do the job, you might be a little pissed off.

Sorry, a little exaggeration there, my only point being that after you got him going you threw cold water on him.

Has to have his wireless monitor to take the picture...

How does this help taking pictures? I'm a complete Camera Noob!

Well as a novice camera boob I would assume so that as he was taking pictures he could get a bigger and clearer view of the shot so that he could make adjustments as he wanted it.

Taryth
05-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Could've just taken the photos in your style, and then let him proceed with his business until he was able to take some shots. Why does it have to be one way or the other?

I think your husband is much like me: oft-forgetful tinkerer. It's fun to mess around with technology, and sometimes you have to trouble shoot. And then you fix the problem, which, depending on it's complexity, gives something like the feeling of dinging from a hell level. What you did was train him, cause him to lose his corpse deep in the dungeon, and ragelog- to put it in EQ terms.

Journey, not the destination? Come on, you play EQ! How could you not understand what he was doing?