PDA

View Full Version : Should the auction channel be server-wide?

snyder43
11-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Given the low population of Blue and the lack of people in EC, should the auction channel be changed to server-wide?

ScottBerta
11-29-2019, 07:52 PM
It would make selling things easier as not having to waste time in EC but will get annoying to continually see the items over and over again while playing. Plus, people will be auctioning anything they have for sale now so theoretically you could have over 400 people now auctioning and that would be insane. I feel that is what forums (trading hub) is for.

Torik
11-29-2019, 11:44 PM
The /occ channel on Red was (is?) server-wide, and with a population of 200-300, it seemed like half the people used it as a global /auc channel. The auctions were not bad, for the most part, but the /occ trolls were annoying. That being said, /ignore works wonders, and with the GM presence on Blue, I think they would squash any hardcore trolling pretty quickly in global chat.

Baler
11-30-2019, 08:14 AM
NO

What happens in EC stays in EC.

also inb4 someone starts spamming bad words in global chat.

Traak
11-30-2019, 10:34 AM
why is the beta server still up?

Lhord99
11-30-2019, 11:15 AM
It sounds like a nightmare, but it’ll die down. Put auction in another chat window. People who are in the market for something can stay at their camp or in their group and make prearrangements to purchase - sounds civilized, rather than just /auc to an empty zone outside prime time.

Tilien
11-30-2019, 11:35 AM
why is the beta server still up?

Not sure why beta is still up, but the Alpha green server is up too. Problly gonna keep beta green and alpha blue both up until actual classic launch. The 80% spawn reduction, xp nerfs, and plans to merge green and teal are all hic ups I'm sure they'll remove on the real release :)

Enjoy your custom server on Green!

El-Hefe
11-30-2019, 12:16 PM
Blue = Alpha

Green = Beta

Teal = Galaxy Brain Full Release Version 1.0

On topic: I feel like the auction forums on here serve the same purpose as a global auction channel does.

Lhord99
11-30-2019, 12:28 PM
On topic: I feel like the auction forums on here serve the same purpose as a global auction channel does.

Fully agree, but it doesn’t allow for impulse purchases. As someone who deals in Britney Spears records and novelty hot sauces, it’s my livelihood!

Tilien
11-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Blue = Alpha

Green = Beta

Teal = Galaxy Brain Full Release Version 1.0

I'm okay with Green being beta and Teal being the full release. Most of the people who seem to be trying to abuse pixels for personal pixel gain seem to be on Green from what I've seen.

Serious response: I'm not sure what percent of users use the forums on any of the servers, I feel like it's under half and therefore global /auc has more real time response and a wider audience than the forums.

Crede
11-30-2019, 01:19 PM
This is one of the Best ideas I’ve heard on these forums. Really hope it happens

GnomeLuvr
11-30-2019, 02:57 PM
No, it should not.

They kept introducing (and removing) server-wide chat channels when I played WoW, and without exception, they were used for nothing more than an attempt at validation for attention-starved basement-dwellers.

East Commonlands is an integral part of the sense of community that Everquest has. When the Bazaar was introduced on live, the server-wide sense of community took a huge hit. The community was fractured enough with the introduction of the Green server; we do not need to be asking for it to be damaged further by the introduction of any server-wide channels.

As someone who plays the game for the social aspects, even more than loot and killing stuff, I would probably quit playing if a server-wide auction channel was introduced.

Crede
11-30-2019, 07:16 PM
No, it should not.

They kept introducing (and removing) server-wide chat channels when I played WoW, and without exception, they were used for nothing more than an attempt at validation for attention-starved basement-dwellers.

East Commonlands is an integral part of the sense of community that Everquest has. When the Bazaar was introduced on live, the server-wide sense of community took a huge hit. The community was fractured enough with the introduction of the Green server; we do not need to be asking for it to be damaged further by the introduction of any server-wide channels.

As someone who plays the game for the social aspects, even more than loot and killing stuff, I would probably quit playing if a server-wide auction channel was introduced.

You been to EC lately? There is no community there. It's a ghost town, server-wide would at least give us a chance to actually find buyers/sellers.

Danth
11-30-2019, 09:33 PM
We had global chat in the past and it was removed in no small part because P99's resident population of drug addicts and mentally ill unsurprisingly couldn't control themselves. Is there anyone who thinks that reality is any different now?

Danth

Nirgon
12-01-2019, 12:28 AM
We had global chat in the past and it was removed in no small part because P99's resident population of drug addicts and mentally ill unsurprisingly couldn't control themselves. Is there anyone who thinks that reality is any different now?

Danth

Agreeing with no to a global chat for above reasons

+ Not classic

jolanar
12-01-2019, 06:33 AM
Yes but have it strictly moderated, anyone not posting sells or buys gets banned from it.

Hazek
12-01-2019, 07:41 AM
No cause people will use it as global OOC, there's too high of a population and would be scrolling too fast, and it would ruin the feeling of EC.

Ekl_Mortain
12-01-2019, 07:50 AM
You could have it set so you have to /channel GA (Global Auction) to be able to see the global channel. I know it's Not classic, but it would both assist those looking for buyers/sellers and those not interested in seeing the chat. And of course repeating the command would remove that channel.

Edit* Grammar

Torik
12-01-2019, 01:30 PM
You could have it set so you have to /channel GA (Global Auction) to be able to see the global channel. I know it's Not classic, but it would both assist those looking for buyers/sellers and those not interested in seeing the chat. And of course repeating the command would remove that channel.

Edit* Grammar

I really like this idea!

I wonder if they can limit the number of messages one can post.. If they limited it to 1 per every 5 minutes, it would cut down on spam quite a bit.

Ekl_Mortain
12-01-2019, 01:54 PM
I really like this idea!

I wonder if they can limit the number of messages one can post.. If they limited it to 1 per every 5 minutes, it would cut down on spam quite a bit.

I don't see why not. It'd probs have to be set to something like

If player count >10 Count 100ms
If player count <10 Count 600ms

Ect ect. That way the chat can never be bogged down by greater player rates but will also adjust to lower amounts of active players. The downside is it will count all players active in a server. So you'd have to find the max players then adjust the amount till it's balanced.

Teddie1056
12-01-2019, 04:54 PM
Fuck no. Not classic and I hate it. Makes the game feel small.

Might as well allow boxing

Torik
12-01-2019, 05:10 PM

You know what makes the game feel small? Logging into EC and seeing the same 11 people trying to buy and sell the same stuff they were two weeks ago. ;)

Sonark
12-01-2019, 05:45 PM

DanthI like honest answers like these ones.

Of course a global channel for auctions, and for chat, make perfect sense.

But the Classic purism denies it.

They'd also be more toxic than the things people abused so badly from the original, core game that had to be patched in completely unClassic ways to allow them to continue.

"great idea, will never happen"

Basically

Loke
12-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Fuck yes. Bring back global OOC too. IIRC they originally got rid of global channels because the server pop blew up and it became unwieldy. It looks like blue is back to hovering around pre-kunark population, so seems like we could at least try it and see how it works.

Global OOC was so entertaining back in the day, and if you don't like it, just turn it off. I need updates on the adventures of Andain, Danth, and the Eurdite with red shoes and gold teeth.

kjs86z
12-03-2019, 02:42 PM
If Red can have it, why not Blue?

If you don't want to see the chat, throw it in its own window and hide. Simple.

This would make finding / selling items so much better. It doesn't hurt anyone's experience. No brainer.

Frug
12-05-2019, 05:55 PM

Reeee!