PDA

View Full Version : CONSTANTLY crashing when switching characters

DMN
11-28-2019, 03:41 AM
Not only does it crash me once, but then when it lets me after character timeout delay it boots me a SECOND time and I have to wait for ANOTHER timeout. About completely killing my desire to continue on p99.
And it gives me this

"Error in XML

Error in your GUI XML files. Check out UI errors.txt"

I have 100% stock installation. Tried window and non windowed.

Kavious
11-28-2019, 04:03 AM
Set your shortcut to use compatibility mode for Windows XP

DMN
11-28-2019, 04:15 AM
Can't change compatibility mode for shortcuts, but the everquest.exe is set on Xp SP3 already.

Helped a lot for crashing when camping but hasn't done anything for when changing characters. I really am about at my wits end with this. With crash and double timeouts its like 10 minutes with my thumb up my ass.

And just to be clear:

You loggout fine, but when you try logging in with other character on account you get booted back to the EQ login splash screen. Then time out. Then log in. Crash again. Then get error.

Kavious
11-28-2019, 05:19 AM
Shortcuts to batch files do not have a compatibility tab, but you can make your shortcut open eqgame.exe directly and do the same thing that the batch file does (run eqgame.exe with the patchme command). Instructions on how to do that here:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3027708&postcount=4

I had this same problem. I could not switch characters without crashing. I did the above and it fixed the problem completely

ArunaGreen
11-28-2019, 07:30 AM
Not only does it crash me once, but then when it lets me after character timeout delay it boots me a SECOND time and I have to wait for ANOTHER timeout. About completely killing my desire to continue on p99.
And it gives me this

"Error in XML

Error in your GUI XML files. Check out UI errors.txt"

I have 100% stock installation. Tried window and non windowed.

WinEQ2 if you aren't already using it.

Xruptor
11-28-2019, 07:40 AM
go to your everquest install folder. Find eqgame.exe, right click it go to properties. Find compatibility tab, set it to Windows XP SP2 or SP3. Click Apply.

That should do it.

DMN
11-29-2019, 12:11 AM
like I said the exe in the EQ folder was already changed long ago for winxp compatability mode.

I guess it's the only thing "extra" i did to this installation.

Kubaton
12-01-2019, 11:52 PM
Good thread.

Not only did I have this problem, but when I did clean installs the spell file missing crap started again.. Ironically, nothing helped or worked. Until I tried one thing..

Good thing I've saved all the previous patches over the years.. I used an old one to patch, then patched over it.. and it resolved the problem.

The current patch is VERY garbage. Dont know why.. all these years only a few problems, but now everything is highly botched to all hell and constantly doing fixes.

Xruptor
12-02-2019, 12:02 AM
Good thread.

Not only did I have this problem, but when I did clean installs the spell file missing crap started again.. Ironically, nothing helped or worked. Until I tried one thing..

Good thing I've saved all the previous patches over the years.. I used an old one to patch, then patched over it.. and it resolved the problem.

The current patch is VERY garbage. Dont know why.. all these years only a few problems, but now everything is highly botched to all hell and constantly doing fixes.

I'm assuming you mean the P99 Patch updates.

Kubaton
12-02-2019, 05:24 PM
I'm assuming you mean the P99 Patch updates.

Yes, all previous P99 patch updates.
I've saved all of them over the years. =)

baakss
12-03-2019, 07:52 PM
Good thread.

Which old patch specifically? What was the zip file name?