PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts

Caravelle1
04-21-2011, 04:10 PM
I've been following the threads here and just want to put forth my ideal version of the server, open to discussion.

1. Secrets MortalQuest server: I think that permadeath offers a special allure to people looking for the ultimate challenge. EQ is already a very difficult game to master PvE compared to other games, throw in permadeath AND FFA PvP and you have one of the most challenging leveling environments available.
What I learned about that server is that Permadeath and losing all your loot sucks, even on a server where it only takes 10 hours to get to lvl 55.
Permadeath would be popular at the start, but only really hardcore players would have the patience to keep leveling after the second or third death.
Same goes for loot, if it's going to be classic drops, even dropping ONE item would be pretty substantial, people would probably avoid PvP.
Ideas:

A percent chance that an item would drop upon death?

A system that transfers plat between bank accounts as reward/punishment?

A reward system would be nice, perhaps with the ability to buy temporaty items or buffs. I played Sullon Zek, and I played a solo chanter with crappy gear past the PoP era, so I got owned really hard and could never afford any of the PvP rewards. A weekly stipend would be nice, that adds or deducts point based on kills.

Temporary RARE items from monsters that would say last a few days to a week or 2 that are exceptionally powerful, but are guaranteed drop upon death. The Temporary would make people not afraid to use them.

Alright as for resists: as a chanter playing in the PoP era I remember even tashing someone, I don't think I ever landed ONE spell, EXCEPT for rapture on targets that were not above the level range. Every single nuke I ever casted, or root or debuff was resisted, probably 200 casts in my career. obviously this was POP era so I cant offer insight for classic. BUT, having the experience of facing UBER resists, I can say that a custom resist calculator should be implemented that is tested and balanced.

I support the idea of roots that last 1-10 seconds, or mez and stun that lasts 1-10 seconds. I like the resist calc that knuckle posted with a scaling resist calculator. Offering a system where spells hit fairly often, but for reduced damage and effect offers a longer more skillful PvP encounter then say, a tank that is completely obliterated by a nuke, or a caster that is unable to land any spells.

I also think balance changed should be made regularly if something is deemed to powerful, I recall to any PvP game I've ever played, balance changed were constantly introduced every patch if some player found a way to use it in a way that was deemed unfair.

As for factions vs FFA - I say FFA, but I wouldn't really care if factions were implemented, and it could be really fun if done skillfully and correctly.

that's all.

Haul
04-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Were here to play classic EQ pvp bro, this isn't "what would Caravelle1 or the next scrub do world." None of the shit you talked about is within means.