PDA

View Full Version : Game Mechanics: Pets

jilena
04-18-2011, 10:25 AM
At some point between right before kunark launched to present a change was made in pet behavior that seems very off to me.

Prior to whatever happened pets behaved like this:

You tell pet to attack mob, pet stays on mob unless hit by another mob that generates more hate. This would be obviously noticeable when fear kiting as the pet would get smacked by a new mob and lose aggro on the mob it was chasing. If any mob hit you, the pet queued them up on their attack list and would immediately attack them after the mob they were on died, unless you told them to back off beforehand.

Now:

You tell pet to attack mob, pet stays on mob so long as mob is hitting it back and maintaining aggro unless another mob hits pet and generates greater hate. Where this changes, is now when you get smacked by another mob, if pet is in aggro range (seems to be the same range you can sic pet from) and is not actively being hit by the mob it is attacking (i.e. fear kiting or mob running away low health) it switches to the mob hitting you.

I say the pet has to be in /pet attack range because if you are fear kiting a mob, put the pet on it, and run away and get smacked way out of the range of /pet attack, the pet will not switch to the new mob until you move close enough to it.

I have tried this both with my necro skeleton and with my enchanter animation. I have not tried it with charmed pets. On the necro this is only a minor annoyance. But on an enchanter, if you pull 2 mobs, have your pet on one, and mez the other with it hitting you once... As soon as the first mob turns to flee the animation will switch to the mezzed mob breaking mez and leaving you with one aggro mob and one almost dead mob running off into other mobs.

jilena
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Am I the only one having this issue? I have played around with it a bit and it always seems to work this way.

baalzy
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
I've noticed my pet doing weird stuff if I have 2 mobs being fought.

If I snare & fear a mob, and get agro from another my pet will run and start hitting it. If I then fear that mob off, my pet will go after its first target.

AFAIK pets should just stay on whichever target it has the higher hate for unless you use back/attack to make it retarget.

The new behavior becomes especially annoying if you're trying to ST a mob to mez it, then you pet hits it and breaks it.

Edit: This is since the patch.

Glitch
04-20-2011, 02:43 PM
An old bug recently resurfaced, where when your pet is fighting two mobs and one goes into run mode, the pet will switch to the other and come back and kill the running one after.

Lelroni
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
An old bug recently resurfaced, where when your pet is fighting two mobs and one goes into run mode, the pet will switch to the other and come back and kill the running one after.

I've noticed something similar to this, if my pet is attacking a mob, and I get it ready to attack another nearby mob (by telling it to attack it), when the current mob starts to run it sometimes will stop attacking its current target and switch to the next mob that I told it to attack. Can be annoying at times.

Also a seperate question since I have some pet classes in here : ), does 'bloodlust' effect pets? I.e. if a mob is low on hp (I think below 20 or 15%) will my pet stay on that target if its getting beat on by another mob? And vice versa (if my pet is low on hp, will mobs want to kill it more). Does this effect players as well?

philbertpk
04-22-2011, 12:30 PM

same happens to me. makes things interesting in groups.

Haynar
04-23-2011, 01:05 AM
That was a pain to fix in the first place. I have not kept up on all the aggro/hate changes being made. So something probably broke this. I will try to take a look.

H