PDA

View Full Version : Why Gnome Rogue

CPT_Purge
10-23-2019, 08:51 PM
Brand new to EQ. I've been told to play a gnome rogue when P1999 is released this week. Is that a good noob build? Thanks fam.

greatdane
10-24-2019, 06:47 PM
No, it's quite possibly the very worst choice for a new player with no network. It's the worst class to start out with on a fresh server, and the worst race for that class.

Sounds like you got trolled by someone.

Cecily
10-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Theyre cute. Have more tradeskill potential than other races. Can see through walls. Always shrunk. Can wear VP robe.

Solid choice. I'd recommend dark elf, human, or gnome for VP robe if you're gonna stop shaving your neck for awhile to hang out with whichever losers win the endgame.

Napoleon complex.. gnome / halfling

Aesthetics.. wood/dark elves or humans win.

Antiaesthetics and good str... Barb

Dwarf also good min/max race which doesn't look horrible.

STR / STA are rogue priorities. DEX / AGI are not. At all.

Split your bonus points between STR/STA and you can't screw up regardless which hideous avatar you choose.

Quizlop
10-25-2019, 05:51 AM
Antiaesthetics and good str... Barb

Disagree.

Barbarian ladies are pretty.

the worst race for that class.

Disagree.

Dark Elf is a worse option for a few reasons, and I think Dark Elf Rogue might be the worst possible race/class combo in the game.

Rudy
10-25-2019, 08:17 AM
Dark Elf is a worse option for a few reasons, and I think Dark Elf Rogue might be the worst possible race/class combo in the game.

I hope there are a few DE Rogue on the list for guise.

Baler
10-25-2019, 08:22 AM
tinkering is pretty cool

Videri
10-25-2019, 08:39 AM
I hope there are a few DE Rogue on the list for guise.

Snaggles
10-25-2019, 12:07 PM
I picked a halfling rogue on live circa 1999 which is very similar to a gnome. It's a fun class but definitely dependent on other people to keep you alive. The stat min-maxers will vote barb or dwarf but frankly maxing strength (eventually) when buffed is not hard.

I would be tempted to make a more capable class that can solo and figure out the game that way. A necromancer for example. Plus by the time you have picked up a few dozen levels if you still hate it you will prob have enough platinum for the most basic rogue equipment.

Sizar
10-25-2019, 12:22 PM
No, it's quite possibly the very worst choice for a new player with no network. It's the worst class to start out with on a fresh server, and the worst race for that class.

Sounds like you got trolled by someone.

Ignore this dude. Play what seems cool to you.

greatdane
10-25-2019, 10:23 PM
Ok yeah rogue is a fantastic choice for a new player on a fresh server and gnome is the strongest race for this class. Definitely good advice.

Invalid_Bard
10-25-2019, 10:52 PM
Anyone who thinks gnome rogues are bad has clearly never seen one work from the back.

Cecily
10-25-2019, 11:01 PM
Rogues races are purely aesthetic and it's really dumb to argue about this. Dark elf, gnome, or human are the right choices though.

Kinaki
10-25-2019, 11:54 PM
Dark elf, gnome, or human are the right choices though.

wtf, cec!

Endonde
10-26-2019, 12:18 AM
Rogues races are purely aesthetic and it's really dumb to argue about this. Dark elf, gnome, or human are the right choices though.

Pretty much this, all three of those races can wear PD Robe, Human is the best choice if you are ultra neckbeard because you can get an illusion for Gnome, and Dark elf. If you are part of the 99% that won't be getting a gnome mask, I think gnome looks better than human, Dark elves are my choice for most aesthetically pleasing but since it's easy to get a Dark elf mask as a rogue I probably wouldn't choose Dark elf at character select.

Barbarian does get one benefit later on with Primal weapons where they can transform themselves into gigantic gnomes or halflings, and that's pretty funny but it's about the only thing they have going for them.

Mendo
10-28-2019, 08:58 PM
Do you think with the new interrupt mechanics that Barbarian slam is important now?

pink grapefruit
10-28-2019, 09:00 PM
wood elves make the best rogues bc u can forage and give out food to ppl to make friends.

rogues need friends to survive. be a friendly rogue for ++rogue gains :)

Heywood
11-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Gnome because they can see through walls.

That’s very helpful when you’re pvping.

Tecmos Deception
11-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Do you think with the new interrupt mechanics that Barbarian slam is important now?

Slam shares cooldowns with backstab, iirc. So you'll basically never want to be slamming something.

Tethler
11-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Slam shares cooldowns with backstab, iirc. So you'll basically never want to be slamming something.

Yeah, pretty much this. Though I have used it on CHing mobs in KC from time to time, so not completely worthless.

Swish
11-13-2019, 12:39 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Throwing_Boulder

One reason to roll barb rogue, but not a great one :p

Palemoon
11-13-2019, 12:59 AM
https://wiki.project1999.com/Throwing_Boulder

One reason to roll barb rogue, but not a great one :p

actually a pretty good reason, on red. your victim decides to run to zone line to plug?

not so fast - splat

Traak
11-23-2019, 09:02 PM
If you want to win the Rogue BoTB, go barb and throw boulders.