PDA

View Full Version : Which mage pet for soloing on green?

Lunababy
10-22-2019, 05:58 PM
AFAIK it's either Earth for root nuking or Fire for the DS dps. When would you use what and why?

NegaStoat
10-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Water. Water is the absolute champ for levels 4-20 if we're talking about solo. You never want a rooted mob that would prevent the 'death march' of a dying mob if you are doing solo work outdoors. Water has a decent DD spell that matches Fire, which is 'meh' but better than Root for making something dead. Water also has the 2nd highest health, just below earth.

For grouping, it's Air elementals all day long, easy. The stun is just snazzy and always appreciated. I guess a case could be made for Earth in how it's constantly rooting and that would help a warrior style tank that has low aggro in Vanilla, assuming that he's the one standing nearest to the target. But Air is the one you could just use by default and everyone will love it.

Quick side note - absolutely no one is going to have access to Focused pets at the server's start, and that's a big deal for the solo magician. Keep in mind that pets can accept armor pieces and wear them, and substantially benefit from the AC. If you have the plat to spare and intend to do a solo camp for hours and are a bit cautious about your pet durability, even Tattered leather armor suits can make a difference.

At higher levels when I would solo certain dungeon camps where reclaiming a pet isn't such a hot idea, I'd cheerfully trash the under 30pp cost of a full set of banded armor (less one bracer) as I had the skill to make it and equip a max summon pet with it to make it far more durable. More than likely I'll do the same again on Green.

Vexenu
10-22-2019, 06:48 PM
On Green it's gonna be whichever you can get from the vendor at each spell level. As you level you will often only be able to choose one and the rest will be research only. Fire is the best for reclaiming if you are able to find mobs that are just barely dark blue. They will melt on the DS and you finish them with one nuke. If you're grouping water is preferable (air vs. a lot of casters). If you're duoing Earth can be good, just keep him DSed and buffed with beefy HP buffs, he is very easy to keep up with a healer, even when tanking multiple mobs/breaking spawns.

soulzek
10-23-2019, 07:43 PM
Is pet exp penalty going to be active from day 1 on green? If so, how do you balance between dps for 51% damage and not taking aggro? (If you CAN even out-dps your own pet at earlier levels)

dekova
10-23-2019, 09:05 PM
In my experience it's typically not worth out damaging your pet early on.

Baler
10-23-2019, 10:33 PM
Fire Pet chain summoning from level 16 to 50
Earth pet for a personal tank
Water pet high level with backstab for grouping
Air pet optional to use against mobs that cast. It's stun can interrupt their casts sometimes.

Endorra
10-24-2019, 02:46 AM
Is pet exp penalty going to be active from day 1 on green? If so, how do you balance between dps for 51% damage and not taking aggro? (If you CAN even out-dps your own pet at earlier levels)

Yes, even though it's not classic. Not classic at all.

Duo or small group with other pet classes. Your pets are going to be stronger than melee characters anyway. Couple encs, couple mages, couple necros... 6 pets or 5 pets + healer will be easymode. No pet xp penalty in groups.

Albanwr
10-24-2019, 03:31 AM
Yes, even though it's not classic. Not classic at all.

Duo or small group with other pet classes. Your pets are going to be stronger than melee characters anyway. Couple encs, couple mages, couple necros... 6 pets or 5 pets + healer will be easymode. No pet xp penalty in groups.

6 pets or 5 pets is 2 too many or 1 too many.

tkelly5
12-26-2019, 11:20 PM
Fire Pet chain summoning from level 16 to 50
Earth pet for a personal tank
Water pet high level with backstab for grouping
Air pet optional to use against mobs that cast. It's stun can interrupt their casts sometimes.

How is chain summoning supposed to work?

Siege
12-27-2019, 12:34 AM
How is chain summoning supposed to work?

Chain summoning just means summoning a new pet before it dies rather than letting it heal up. This doesn't really become a viable strategy in Vanilla EQ until pet costs decrease at level 29 and you can buy fire pet from a vendor. 34 - 39 is an awkward level range because you can't vendor fire pet, which is by far the best pet to chain summon because you don't need to waste mana putting a damage shield on it. You'll also be stuck with earth pet at level 49 if you don't find another mage who's willing to make a fire pet for you.

Ostepop
12-27-2019, 04:10 AM
It's been some years since I chained pets last, but here's how I remember it:
Pet have a fairly stable damage intake, and the spells have a long cast time, so with practise you can finish casting a new pet just as the old one is near death. You have to manually type in /pet get lost and hit enter just before your cast finishes. In subsequent casts you can just shift+up arrow to recycle already entered commands.

liquidki
12-30-2019, 03:40 PM
I'm playing a mage for the first time on Green, I'm only at level 17 but I'm enjoying the different pet strategies I've found so far.

Pets seem to be around 80% of the Mage toolkit so I'm spending time with each pet seeing how they do breaking 2 and and 3-spawns of blues. I've found good success with the fire, water, and earth pet in different situations. I haven't tested the air pet much yet.

The fire pet's damage shield is 3x stronger than the castable damage shield at my level, which opens up some interesting strategies. The earth pet has SO MANY HP, and is a great off-tank for your group in dungeons when an enchanter isn't in the group. The water pet is solid DPS and still quite tanky, my water pet could off-tank yellow and red mobs without dying while the group dealt with another mob. I'm interested in testing air pet more when fighting casters, the stun seems like it would be quite useful.

So far I'm really enjoying the class. Good luck in your adventures!

Vexenu
01-01-2020, 12:17 PM
The first thing is to always use your highest level available pet, regardless of the type. If you have multiple pets to choose from then it's a question of what type of XPing you're doing. Fire is very good for pet chaining against low blue cons while solo. Earth is good for buffing to the gills with a Cleric partner (especially when CH is a factor) and just keeping it hasted and DSed while it tanks everything. Water is good for max DPS while grouping. Air is good for grouping in dungeons that have a lot of casters.

In general, fire pet will always be your riskiest pet, having the lowest HP in exchange fort the huge DS. Earth is your safest pet, with the most HP and the root proc. So if you're solo or duo choose between them depending on how comfortable you are with the mobs you're fighting. If you've got a lot of experience at a camp and a good understanding of the mob levels/hp/damage/etc... and just want to burn through them as fast as possible then lean on the fire pet. If you're trying out a new zone or aren't 100% dialed in for whatever reason, take advantage of the extra beefiness of the Earth pet for an added margin of safety. And then most of the time in a group just pull out the Water pet for maximum DPS and a little offtanking as needed.

Christina.
01-02-2020, 01:26 AM
I remembering using a fire pet from 16 to 49 back when I leveled up lol. He will be your bread and butter. Their damage shields are just too nice to use other pets over it.. this is solo of course. Earth pet comes second place.

Edit : I also had alot of experience with magicians and knew the camps/mobs I hunted very well. Another thing i made sure I got done at a low level was the Torch of Alna pet focus item out of SolA it made my pet noticeably Meaner! Insta reclaim/+1 pet mod