PDA

View Full Version : On the question of Merging...

garfo
10-21-2019, 09:45 AM
I, for one, hope that we DO have a merge into Blue at the end of Green's lifetime.

Not for the purposes of 3-year investment in Manastone Futures Commodities, but simply because, as a casual, it feels fun and good to think that my playtime on Green and Blue are somehow linked, that all of my "work" is ultimately going to end up in the same place.

Does that make any sense? I dunno, I really liked the idea that my hard-earned Green toons would one day end up in the character selection screen alongside my grizzled Blue vets.

Just my 2cp.

Endonde
10-21-2019, 09:57 AM
The majority of players wont last 4 years on p99, but they should make legacy items become no drop when transferred servers.

Baler
10-21-2019, 10:03 AM
I hope green merges into blue and green starts fresh. Even more classic.
No special changes for the merge.

10 years on p99, I'll be here in 5 more when the merge happens. :o

Izmael
10-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Definitely merge to blue and start a new green.

Yes, people who already own legacy items on Blue will see their value decreased, and some of them will certainly oppose the merge.

But the same people will have an opportunity to acquire more/other legacy items on Green and bring them back to Blue upon merge, so look at the glass half full.

garfo
10-21-2019, 10:10 AM
Yes, I'd totally be down for making legacy items no drop or lore. Frankly, I don't think it really matters -- the only people who are upset about the "influx" of legacy items 3 years from now are the mega neckbeard EC Fat Cats who have the few manastones on Blue and are already sitting on hoards of plat.

Mostly I want to make sure that we don't end up fracturing our small community over time -- people get very attached to their toons, that's part of what makes EQ so great, and fast forward three years from now, can you imagine a situation where we have the Blue server, the current Green server, and an old Green shard as well? What about three years after that, will we have two Green shards? If we siphon off the playerbase into smaller chunks, even if only 50-100 folks play on an old shard, that's an impact that we'll feel.

Baler
10-21-2019, 10:11 AM
Make Sleeper/warder loot trade-able.

in seriousness, merging with no special changes to blue is the best thing for the health of the community. It gives people a reason to log into blue (to play their old characters) and a reason to keep coming back for green launches.

I think making multiple new servers after green and purple would be a Bad idea. (aforementioned fracture the community)
Green dumps into Blue
Purple dumps into Red

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 10:15 AM
At the very least I think manastones should be set to no drop status after the merge. Anything that can be done to discourage antisocial neckbeards from poopsocking that camp (any more than they already will) should definitely be done. The window for them dropping is already so small the competition will be insane. If you make it know that people will be unable to sell their manastones on Blue after the merge it should alleviate a good amount of the pressure on that camp.

Baler
10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
At the very least I think manastones should be set to no drop status after the merge.

There is no good reason for that. That's not even classic.
It sounds like some kind of Feelings and Emotion argument.

bad idea that wont help anything. It will not alleviate any pressure on the camp nor help you get a manastone.
Guise is no drop and that will be camped to hell and back also. So your argument is INVALID

Just accept that you'll need to sit infront of your computer for 72+ hours to get a guise or manastone.
If that's a problem then you don't need either item anyways. Welcome to project 1999 classic everquest.

Set realistic goals for yourself.

BlackBellamy
10-21-2019, 11:08 AM

Let's agree on a new unit of time. A "manacamp" or "MC" is three days. e.g. "My Mountain Dew supply is good for three MCs!"

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 11:29 AM
There is no good reason for that. That's not even classic.
It sounds like some kind of Feelings and Emotion argument.

bad idea that wont help anything. It will not alleviate any pressure on the camp nor help you get a manastone.
Guise is no drop and that will be camped to hell and back also. So your argument is INVALID

Just accept that you'll need to sit infront of your computer for 72+ hours to get a guise or manastone.
If that's a problem then you don't need either item anyways. Welcome to project 1999 classic everquest.

Supply and demand has nothing to do with feelings and emotions. Fact is there are a small number of no-lifers who intend to roll on Green for no other purpose than to acquire as many manastones as possible. That's it. That's their entire goal. By simply removing the incentive of this small but extremely dedicated neckbeard contingent to poopsock the camp you reduce the demand for manastones. This makes the camp less of a shitshow, which it will certainly be even with the List. The result will be closer to a classic feel.

I don't see why anyone would object to this unless they planned to no-life the camp and attempt to hoard manastones. I can also see now why people are so staunchly defending their use of GINA, since audio cues will be basically required to afk camp the manastone and remain on the list.

Baler
10-21-2019, 11:35 AM
Supply and demand has nothing to do with feelings and emotions. Fact is there are a small number of no-lifers who intend to roll on Green for no other purpose than to acquire as many manastones as possible. That's it. That's their entire goal. By simply removing the incentive of this small but extremely dedicated neckbeard contingent to poopsock the camp you reduce the demand for manastones. This makes the camp less of a shitshow, which it will certainly be even with the List. The result will be closer to a classic feel.

I don't see why anyone would object to this unless they planned to no-life the camp and attempt to hoard manastones. I can also see now why people are so staunchly defending their use of GINA, since audio cues will be basically required to afk camp the manastone and remain on the list.

Your view is incorrect at it's foundation. Tradeable or not tradable it will be a shit show with high pressure on the camps/area. It's just the realism of the situation. Supply and Demand have NOTHING to do with it. More than 50% of the people who want manastone (or guise) have no intent to sell it on blue. They want it because they want it. Even if they don't need it.

You bring up GINA, you are jaded or bias on the subject matter. Which you've made clearly obvious by this point.
ps. There will be an afk check that likely won't have any log text. So get that idea out of your mind right now.
The p99 staff are smart.

I say to you again,.. Set realistic goals for green. Stop trying to bend reality in favor of your real life situation.
If you can't dedicate the time that is going to be required don't try and ruin people's experience.

Octopath
10-21-2019, 11:36 AM
I always hoped project 1999 would be like diablo does it with ladder and non ladder. Once a ladder (or green) ends, your characters goes to non ladder (ie. Blue server)

That way blue will always live. My decision whether I would play on green really weighs heavily on whether they will merge or not. Guess I won’t know for a while.

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Lol Baler accusing me of rule lawyering to benefit myself by making a proposal that would result in more people actually acquiring and using manastones rather than in a dozen pathetic neckbeards no-lifing the camp for months on end just to sell them on Blue. I think we can see where your bread is buttered, my friend.

Also I will be very surprised if the afk check does NOT involve log text. I'm not sure how that's even possible to code into the client otherwise. It's not like they will have GMs there 24/7 forcing people to sit/stand or move around. GINA will basically be a requirement for anyone who wants a guise or manastone. You know this which is why you freaked out when people proposed banning GINA on Green.

Byrjun
10-21-2019, 12:10 PM
GINA will basically be a requirement for anyone who wants a guise or manastone. You know this which is why you freaked out when people proposed banning GINA on Green.

I see P99 is just as pants-on-head crazy as it was when I left a few years back.

Wow.

GINA is nothing. Someone with no programming experience could probably Google their way into compiling something similar. I'm not sure how it would even be possible to ban it. But doing so would be ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous would be suggesting that no one can pass a simple AFK check without a log parser.

Izmael
10-21-2019, 12:21 PM
I don't like making manastones nodrop - not more than making guises droppable.

IMO just merge Blue into Green. Maybe delete legacy items from Green beforehand, if this is such a problem.

But I think it's important to bring the actual characters back to Blue to keep Blue going. Otherwise it will become a desert after a cycle or two.

Daldaen
10-21-2019, 12:25 PM
Just launch Luclin on Blue and allow Blue characters to transfer to Green at the end of Green’s timeline if they want to stay in Velious.

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Equally ridiculous would be suggesting that no one can pass a simple AFK check without a log parser.

Sure, you can pass them without a log parser. If you're literally willing to stay up for three days straight staring at your computer screen the entire time. Meanwhile the GINA users will just set up their audio cue macros and sleep next to their computers/do other shit and be notified when it's time to pass an afk check.

Which of these people is more likely to finish the camp and get a manastone?

I will say it again: GINA use will be essentially required by anyone who wants a legacy item. There is no other way you're going to compete against the people who are using it unless you are also.

Endonde
10-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Just launch Luclin on Blue and allow Blue characters to transfer to Green at the end of Green’s timeline if they want to stay in Velious.

I would also be very happy with this, do a PoP locked server, and a Velious locked server.

Deathrydar
10-21-2019, 12:41 PM

Outside of the scope of the project. Will never happen!

dekova
10-21-2019, 12:53 PM
I will say it again: GINA use will be essentially required by anyone who wants a legacy item. There is no other way you're going to compete against the people who are using it unless you are also.

So this afk check writes to the log? I can't imagine that being the case.

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 12:58 PM
So this afk check writes to the log?
That's my supposition. It's not confirmed. But I can't envision a mechanism that does not involve sending the client at least some recognizable string of text. I mean, how else are they supposed to notify you?

dekova
10-21-2019, 01:01 PM
That's my supposition. It's not confirmed. But I can't envision a mechanism that does not involve sending the client at least some recognizable string of text. I mean, how else are they supposed to notify you?

You get lots of prompts that don't write to the log. Most of them in fact.

These item's don't combine.
Do you really want to drop this item?
Do you really want to destroy this item?
Soandso wants to rez you.
Soandso has invited you to a guild.
Etc.

GINA isn't going to help for squat.

Endonde
10-21-2019, 01:01 PM

They have no obligation to notify you, they could check a number of things to tell if you are actively playing without ever notifying you.

Llandris
10-21-2019, 01:02 PM
There are no log outputs for AFK checks. You have to be at your computer, paying attention to pass the check or you will be removed from the list.

Vexenu
10-21-2019, 01:06 PM
There are no log outputs for AFK checks. You have to be at your computer, paying attention to pass the check or you will be removed from the list.
Excellent. Glad to be corrected on that. Thank you for the clarification.

Niedar
10-21-2019, 02:20 PM
Cant wait to wire up some OCR to an alert then.

cd288
10-21-2019, 02:21 PM

You sound like someone who has manastones on Blue, doesn't want their value decreased 4 years from now, and is trying to make up an argument against it because you know people will just ignore you if you complain about your manastone value in 2023 being degraded.

Bazia
10-21-2019, 03:00 PM
I would also be very happy with this, do a PoP locked server, and a Velious locked server.

that project already exists, and it was dead on arrival because of the allowance of boxing

Baler
10-21-2019, 03:03 PM

I told them the staff are smart but I guess i'm taken for a troll so w.e

Bazia
10-21-2019, 03:10 PM
im gonna farm a bunch of them with my brother, then hand them out for free post merge

RMTers SEETHING

Tobius
10-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Honestly I wish they would clarify the merge thing.

I'm emotionally invested in blue and invested too much time in it and don't reaaaallly have enough to justify green.

However the thought of brining over a couple of manastones and a new firepot bound cleric with guise who can then be used to rezz my brothers char afterwards makes it overall worthwhile.

I really fucking hope they clarify this before launch. I don't want to 'waste' my time, anymore then doing any server is a huge fucking no life thing already.

Baler
10-21-2019, 03:21 PM
Honestly I wish they would clarify the merge thing.

Server Merge - The staff has had considerable discussion internally regarding the merging of Green into Blue at the end of the timeline. We've heard your concerns. At this time, we haven't made a final decision, but we have also decided that we will leave the door open. A lot can change in 3 years, and we may chose to leave Green running independently as we open additional servers in the future.

Tobius
10-21-2019, 03:26 PM
See that sucks and in is the worst of both worlds.

Not to be ungrateful but if I grind my ass to get pre-nerf items and then find out it was all for nothing cuz they aren't gonna merge after all....

Damn.....

Well thanks for the relavent info pal.

Bazia
10-21-2019, 03:35 PM
just play blue if you like blue, sounds like you answered your own concern

Zekayy
10-21-2019, 04:22 PM
the only problem I have with the merge is theres only like 8 char slots on green and blue and if they merge then thats 16 chars on one account EQ live only allows up to 12 but I would hate to delete a full epiced 60 toon to play another or whatever food for thought people seem to be not talking about this

zodium
10-21-2019, 04:30 PM
See that sucks and in is the worst of both worlds.

Not to be ungrateful but if I grind my ass to get pre-nerf items and then find out it was all for nothing cuz they aren't gonna merge after all....

Damn.....

Well thanks for the relavent info pal.

Damn.....

NegaStoat
10-21-2019, 04:43 PM
Blue has always been looked upon as a Beta environment, complete with its non classic stagnant timeline advancement, leveling exploits, non classic plat generation and even item duping (remember the constant DDoS crashes during the summer years back involving this?), rapid fire ranged damage macros and more. The server staff made a promise to never delete people's characters, and they've stuck to it. I can't think of a single reason why they should shove the 'clean' and classic accomplishments of players that play in a genuine environment on to Blue, other than doing so for a majority of player preference.

We'll all find out for sure in a little under 4 years. If I were to put money down on a bet with how this will pan out, I think Blue is going to end up feeling lonely.

garfo
10-21-2019, 05:00 PM
... I can't think of a single reason why they should shove the 'clean' and classic accomplishments of players that play in a genuine environment on to Blue, other than doing so for a majority of player preference....

I think you've just accidentally made the point that those of us who want to see the servers merge are saying: once the timeline is over, the Green characters become "non classic." So why not merge them with Blue, and thereby continue the feeling of cohesion across the Green and Blue servers?

Let's not lie: a huge part of the draw of EQ is the feeling of accomplishment you get when you acquire plat and items. I know I'm not alone when I say that a big draw of Green is the fuzzy thought of seeing those characters on Blue one day. Again, I say this as a CASUAL -- I have no intention of getting even one manastone on Green.

If Green wipes at the end of its timeline, or otherwise becomes archived as as "Green Season 1," then I suspect that after the novelty wears off, we'll see many players go back to Blue where all of their "work" has a more lasting sense of accomplishment and value -- and the players remaining on Green will be doing it for the museum ALS-esque experience or for the neckbeard server first races.

Zekayy
10-21-2019, 10:13 PM
the only problem I have with the merge is theres only like 8 char slots on green and blue and if they merge then thats 16 chars on one account EQ live only allows up to 12 but I would hate to delete a full epiced 60 toon to play another or whatever food for thought people seem to be not talking about this

Bump nobody else worried about this?

Rader
10-21-2019, 10:47 PM

Use a different account, don't make more than 8 characters between Blue and Green on a single account

Arvan
10-22-2019, 12:03 AM
Make blue merge into green :O

Swish
10-22-2019, 12:17 AM
Give green characters the chance to merge onto red... I know that won't be entirely popular on the red side but at this point the voice of dissent can't be too loud.

Izmael
10-22-2019, 03:03 AM
Give green characters the chance to merge onto red... I know that won't be entirely popular on the red side but at this point the voice of dissent can't be too loud.

This is actually a great idea.

People should be able to pick whether they want to merge to red or to blue at the end of the cycle.

/blue to flag your character for blue merge
/red for red

Jimjam
10-22-2019, 03:07 AM
This is actually a great idea.

People should be able to pick whether they want to merge to red or to blue at the end of the cycle.

/blue to flag your character for blue merge
/red for red

Nah, no need for a command. Just PoD book your green toon if you want to end up on red. Its not like there is a pod book community on blue.