PDA

View Full Version : Mrylokar's Armor?

Seungkyu
10-13-2019, 06:01 AM
Never played a rogue and I'm scratching my head regarding the gear. What is the purpose of Mrylokar's Armor? The only benefit I really see is +10 Sta and +100 HP from wearing Mrylokar. In the trade off, you lose 16 STR.

A rogue's role is DPS. DPS comes from STR.
A rogue doesn't tank. Tanking stats are HP/AC.

Woven Shadow armor has more STR.
Mrylokar's has more HP/AC.

:confused:

Legidias
10-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Kunark class armor is 95% clickies

Tethler
10-13-2019, 08:15 AM
You're right OP. Gaining access to spell clickies on a melee class, no benefit at all.

Shrubwise
10-13-2019, 08:16 AM
It's to look cool as heck

Wallicker
10-13-2019, 09:13 AM
HP/resists = alive rogue

Alive rogue does significantly more dps than dead rogue

GinnasP99
10-13-2019, 10:54 AM
The heal on the BP is 6 second cast, all the velious ones are like 15 seconds or something like that

Solist
10-13-2019, 12:58 PM
Gear is irrelevent, fashion is literally all that matters.

So wear and use what you enjoy to look at. The game's been beaten.

Seungkyu
10-13-2019, 03:23 PM
I redacted a lot of information to make this an easier read, but the Mrylokar clickies dont seem that good. It has no resists. Maybe the BP could be useful on raids.

Guess I just found it confusing after playing tank classes so long. Was hoping someone knew something I didnt.

All tank classes get a huge upgrade with at least one really good clicky.

Jimjam
10-13-2019, 03:40 PM
You're comparing drops that are generally attainable by half a group to those that are gotten through raiding.

Besides which, rogues can take hits fine if played properly.

The worst thing in groups is when the tank needs to afk for 5 mins and the camp is no longer broken because neither rogue ever bothered keeping their defence skill capped nor equipping a decent amount of ac/hp items 'because I am a dps class so I don't need them, only strength' so won't / can't tank.

Mentathiel
10-14-2019, 07:43 AM
I think what we see here is the end-result of MUDflation; there are two entire classes of armour here, perhaps even three.

Set 1: stuff you pick up in KC and Old Seb
All those clickies (well, maybe not all) are good for pick-up groups and soloing. In our case, we can forget soloing because we are rogues. We have a self-heal to reduce downtime, a cancel-magic for ridding ourselves of debuffs, a STR buff, and some summoned daggers for pulling. Not one of those is useful in a decent raid where you have a guild buffing you, but as essential as jBoots when you are not even sure you will have a tank in five minutes' time.

Set 2a: stuff you pick up in the planes
Woven Shadow is a good example; it's got stats and no clicky effects at all. This will keep you alive in Hate, Fear, Sky, etc. You want a heal? Ask a cleric. You want +STR or haste? Ask the shaman and the enchanter who ported up with you. The whole point of this set is that you need a good raid, not just a party; I have one or two pieces, but only because I am in a guild which visits the planes.

Set 2b: quested planar and Velious stuff
The really good bits are not easy to get. You fight giants in Kael, Coldain in Thurgadin, dragons in the Temple of Veeshan, bosses in the Plane of Sky, and then you hand in for gear with stats and chest-pieces with a slow self-heal. You are not getting Velious armour or Sky quested gear without devoting a fair amount of time to raiding.

deven1313
10-17-2019, 03:26 PM
Has anyone found a use for the boots? As far as I can tell, the "Fade" spell is completely useless.

Cecily
10-17-2019, 04:25 PM
This is a video game where adults spend hours, days, months, and years collecting outfits for their online paper dolls.

evilkorn
10-17-2019, 07:00 PM
Has anyone found a use for the boots? As far as I can tell, the "Fade" spell is completely useless.

The whole shadow step line is pretty useless for PvE as a melee. Makes boots and the jumpy hat pretty useless. Only thing I really used were the helm for a junk buff pre velious and gloves before the dispel changes. Gloves still nice to carry around as a just in case but you might as well carry a couple pumice stones from a vendor with probably a more reliable result. The bracer is ok but if you have to do any real pulling you might as well have a bow and arrow.

Jimjam
10-18-2019, 02:14 AM
I use shadow step to avoid large chunks of fall damage and to escape inopportune roots.

This is a video game where adults spend hours, days, months, and years collecting outfits for their online paper dolls.

Shoes are always the starting point of a great outtfit!

Snaggles
10-18-2019, 04:26 AM
You’re comparing high ac fashionable armour you can buy and sell (some pieces like 400p) to stuff you have to spend multiple Hate raids to acquire. That’s comparing apples to orangutans...

I recall carrying half a set of Mrylokar for years. Str buff, throwing daggers, ultravison. The last one (helm) being a great piece so you can use the mask of obtenebration and win at fashionquest while not being blind.

Cecily
10-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Agreed. Black plate boot aesthetics make Mrylo boots a top choice pre-Velious. Boot itemization for rogues is pretty bad.

kjs86z
10-18-2019, 02:51 PM
HP and Resists above all else.

Videri
10-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Never played a rogue and I'm scratching my head regarding the gear. What is the purpose of Mrylokar's Armor? The only benefit I really see is +10 Sta and +100 HP from wearing Mrylokar. In the trade off, you lose 16 STR.

A rogue's role is DPS. DPS comes from STR.
A rogue doesn't tank. Tanking stats are HP/AC.

Woven Shadow armor has more STR.
Mrylokar's has more HP/AC.

:confused:

Firstly, as I’m sure you know, the original EQ designers didn’t and couldn’t completely know how the game would be played. There are a lot of items, especially older ones, that have weird and/or useless stats.

Secondly, you can wear the armor with good stats and resists, and keep the clicky pieces in bags to equip and click when needed. (If you’re like me, then you have to get your hoarding under control to make this workable.)

Third, as some people have pointed out, rogues do need HP to prevent death due to accidentally taking aggro or getting hit by AEs. DPS drops to zero when dead!

Ravager
10-18-2019, 07:47 PM

So wear and use what you enjoy to look at. The game's been beaten.
Agreed. Min/Max is pointless.

Seungkyu
10-19-2019, 05:26 AM
Alright since so many people responded I guess I should reply :D

HP/resists = alive rogue

True, too bad Mrylokar's doesn't have any resist.

The heal on the BP is 6 second cast

Interesting! I did not notice different Trak BP's have different cast timers.

Why not be fashionable AND geared? ;)

The worst thing in groups is..rogue... can't tank.

No worries, I plan on keeping my defense skill up to date, but I hope I'm not tanking too much.

Set 1: stuff you pick up in KC and Old Seb
Set 2a: stuff you pick up in the planes

I look at Mrylokar's and see Venril Sathir, Trakanon. Woven Shadow seems easy in comparison.

The whole shadow step line is pretty useless for PvE

Is it good in PvP?

I use shadow step to avoid large chunks of fall damage

I'm not sure how to use the 3 sec cast boots to avoid fall damage. Could you explain?

There are a lot of items..that have weird/useless stats.

keep the clicky pieces in bags.

DPS drops to zero when dead!

Yeah I was planning on getting Mrylokar's Vambraces for the clicky. It's just the rest seemed weird as you stated.

Also, I've never died in EQ before.

Jimjam
10-19-2019, 12:56 PM
Shadow step moves you to the ground so you only take the 3 seconds worth of fall damage from the cast time instead of the whole fall. As a melee this will only work when you maintain your x/y coordinates to avoid interruption.

Seungkyu
10-19-2019, 06:33 PM
That's actually really cool if you could pull it off and avoid a death!

Wallicker
10-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Yea it’s a great alternative to bard DA song for groups dropping into the hole now if your bard isn’t yet level 60

Cecily
10-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Is there time to pull that off? That's pretty awesome.

Alternatively, just pick the lock and sneak down with sow. You'll be there before all the people who died get done rezzing