PDA

View Full Version : Question about starting Ranger stats

magusfire24
10-11-2019, 07:52 AM
Thinking of starting a ranger on green when it launches. Going wood elf as I did before but thinking of a different path. I would like to focus more on archery , root/snare and shoot. Would dumping all my starting points into dex be a good help? That would put me at 100 dex to start. Or would it still be better to put them into strength?

I would of course be doing fletching to make my own stuff too

Thanks

Aaramis
10-11-2019, 08:06 AM
Focusing on an archery Ranger is a bit like saying "I want to play a Rogue who only throws daggers". Sure, it can work. Kinda. But it's barely effective.
The truth is, Ranger archery is pretty crap for damage prior to Velious. It's what you do when you're almost out of mana, and you need to snare + kite an enemy.

IMO, go strength and melee - use archery to pull (with sneak and harmony).

magusfire24
10-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Ok sounds good. What I might do different is yes go Str. ( also worried about always being overencumbered with 70 str). And just keep up my archery skill better. Last time I played I tried to level it up from almost nothing to max around lvl 30. that kinda sucked.

Will see how that goes mixing up melee and archery too sometimes. Thanks

magusfire24
10-11-2019, 09:36 AM
My late father who died a few years ago got me into the game . He was a wood elf ranger. Think I might remake his character on green. Be like he is walking Norrath again!

Aaramis
10-11-2019, 06:43 PM
That sounds like an awesome tribute. Go for it!

You'll realize quickly how much reliance Ranger has on melee over archery, so my post will make more sense once you dive in.

Enjoy, though!

darkreap
10-11-2019, 07:40 PM
I usually ended up tanking in groups. I just max STA.

Snaggles
10-12-2019, 12:22 PM
If you put points in strength it still will not be easy to cap until kunark. Especially if you wear hp rings.

If you are a raider and plan to be through the expansions then a slight annoyance in the beginning makes sense to put points in Stamina. At 4.5 how/Stam at level 60 tho I’d frankly rather under-optimize than be annoyed when I can’t carry bronze and fine steel.

Cecily
10-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Rangers are kinda average all around so I just went 5 str sta dex agi. Most of what makes them cool later on is proc-based, though, so I'd support going 20 dex for more epic slows etc.

Legidias
10-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Pick whatever gets you to weaponshield the fastest

Graahle
10-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Did all stamina on my human ranger because I keep telling myself “it will pay off in the long run” when I hit 60 17 years from now.

deezy
10-26-2019, 11:23 PM
i recommend stam and stack armor as much as you're able to. if you group you're gonna be tanking a lot, either purposefully or by accident. focusing on archery, while it could be done, is extremely slow.

jolanar
10-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Stamina is the safe bet longterm. Strength is the best for quality of life while leveling.

Cool kids go charisma and dive into all the extra plat they will have in a couple years scrooge mcduck style.