PDA

View Full Version : New Gaming PC inquiry

Kubaton
09-24-2019, 10:49 PM
Soo.. Im looking to gain another gaming pc, but I thought to ask here first if there's anything I should be warned about.

A very long time ago Im pretty sure I read that this emulator will only run if you have windows 7 OS...

Does it run on anything newer, with mass ram and multi cores etc? Any issues I might run into that are avoidable?

Thanks

PS, this old antiquated pc is going to be my wifes gaming pc when I get her playing.. LOL!

Secrets
09-25-2019, 02:41 AM
It'll run on anything Windows 7 and later.

RAM maximum doesn't matter, anything 2GB or higher can run EQ.

Multi-core doesn't matter either. EQ only really uses a few threads and only two of them are used intensely, so normally a dual core or higher machine is fine.

Your best bet would be a machine with a solid state drive. Faster the better.

Let's put it this way: Windows 10 takes more resources than EverQuest does.

Legidias
09-25-2019, 08:34 AM
Limit your CPU speed. There's a known issue when people have OC'd their CPU's and P99 doesn't like that.

SSD is great for loading zones super fast.

Benanov
09-25-2019, 11:08 AM
You want a fast disk. Everything else is pretty much going to ship standard on a decent pc over $400.

MaCtastic
09-25-2019, 11:15 AM
I run on Win 10 using Titanium client. Like everyone said, SSD or NVMe for super fast load times. I run on a Lenovo Yoga judt fine, only get slight stutter in frames in the tunnel.

My desktop, which is in storage/transit because I moved, has a dedicated graphic card and run of the mill SSD. It runs the client flawlessly.

Old CPU 3770k, 1080ti, 2100mhz ram (32 gb)

loramin
09-25-2019, 11:27 AM
My desktop, which is in storage/transit because I moved, has a dedicated graphic card and run of the mill SSD. It runs the client flawlessly.

The one thing I'll say about this (for anyone considering getting just onboard graphics) is that while for like 90% of peoples' cases the onboard graphics are probably fine, especially if you plan to use your computer the way it was meant to (ie. a desktop as a desktop and a laptop as a laptop) ...

... if you're like a lot of people these days, who buy a laptop but mostly use it as a desktop, then getting an actual graphics card (even a comparatively cheap/weak mobile one) might be worth your while. An onboard graphics card can likely run EQ with a laptop screen or even a single external monitor just fine ...

... but if you're like me and use your laptop to power two (very large/high resolution) monitors and you want to play EQ on them ... your onboard graphics may not be enough. Personally my computer came with both and I tried running only the onboard for awhile (to save power), but ultimately I had to switch to the real graphics card.

Kubaton
09-29-2019, 12:43 AM
All very good information, thanks for that.

Any recommendations on a cheap rig? I wont be using it for anything but playing p99. But, I dont want to be locked up playing a cleric on raids =)

Didnt find any reasonable priced rigs with ssd.. Ironic b/c priced independently they're pretty inexpensive.

loramin
09-29-2019, 01:14 AM
All very good information, thanks for that.

Any recommendations on a cheap rig? I wont be using it for anything but playing p99. But, I dont want to be locked up playing a cleric on raids =)

Didnt find any reasonable priced rigs with ssd.. Ironic b/c priced independently they're pretty inexpensive.

Amazon has lots of reasonably priced laptops with SSDs. For instance: 15.6", 128 GB SSD, $315:https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=laptop&qid=1569733868&s=pc&sr=1-3 (not recommending that one specifically, just using it as an example).

Kubaton
09-29-2019, 07:58 PM
Forgive me I am old and out of the tech loop since 2004.. So, I thought laptops are over heating junk.

loramin
09-30-2019, 01:19 AM
Forgive me I am old and out of the tech loop since 2004.. So, I thought laptops are over heating junk.

Heh, I hear you: I'm from the old days when men were men and we built our own (gianormous) desktops.

If you want to play the latest 3D shooter you still have a reason to buy/build a traditional gaming PC. But today, for P99 ... and really for just about everything except the newest games ... a cheap laptop, partnered with 1-2 monitors (not too cheap if you want two monitors) and a keyboard/mouse, gives you everything a desktop can ... plus you can take it with you.

kaev
09-30-2019, 02:06 AM
It'll run on anything Windows 7 and later.

Still runs fine on this "not dead yet" WinXP box

Kubaton
10-09-2019, 10:25 PM
I was tempted to get that cheap laptop, but realized its storage is small.
I just checked properties of the Sony file to see how large Eq client is... 179g... wtf

How large is yours?

Llandris
10-09-2019, 10:28 PM
~4gb

BlackBellamy
10-10-2019, 12:10 AM
and really for just about everything except the newest games ... a cheap laptop, partnered with 1-2 monitors (not too cheap if you want two monitors) and a keyboard/mouse, gives you everything a desktop can ... plus you can take it with you.

I got an Acer Helios 300 two years ago and that GTX 1060 card has kept me going at ultra settings for everything I play at really decent frame rates. And it’s still a champ! It’s not a budget laptop but it’s been the best computing money I ever spent. So glad I went with that instead of trying to roll my own again.

Kubaton
10-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Is there a file checker, Landris? Wondering if I have trash that needs disposed of.

Snagglepuss
10-11-2019, 04:10 PM
I got an Acer Helios 300 two years ago and that GTX 1060 card has kept me going at ultra settings for everything I play at really decent frame rates. And it’s still a champ! It’s not a budget laptop but it’s been the best computing money I ever spent. So glad I went with that instead of trying to roll my own again.

I'm in the market for a new PC (my motherboard died on my old one), and I'm currently playing on a very old macbook through boot camp.

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of gaming laptop you guys like or have heard good things about? I did read about the Acer Helios 300. I'm looking to spend about $1kish, and I have monitors and accoutrements already.

I was initially looking at desktop PCs, but now I'm thinking about a laptop. Is there any reason to go desktop now a days?

loramin
10-11-2019, 04:13 PM
Go to Amazon, check the SSD box, and pick one you like. If you want to drive multiple monitors (desktop-style) off of it, get one with an extra/better graphics card (not just the on-board).

CPU/RAM/Hard Drive Space all matter for the same reasons they matter on any computer, but our old game will run fine pretty much regardless of what those specs are. Everything else (eg. size) comes down to your preference.

Oh and:

I was initially looking at desktop PCs, but now I'm thinking about a laptop. Is there any reason to go desktop now a days?

No, not really, unless you're in to cutting edge PC gaming or something. If you like to play (say) 3D shooters or racing games, then desktops can give you better hardware for less money. The same is true if you're into digital animation, bitcoin mining, or anything else hardware-intensive.

But for normal people, laptops are plenty good, even pretty cheap ones.