PDA

View Full Version : Locked frames - no longer smooth!

eclipseone
09-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Hey duders

After the new patch, and the forced 60fps.. on a 144hz monitor, I'm finding when you slew your mouse look, it's no longer smooth.

Any suggestion? Can't force my monitor down to 60hz.

Thanks!

Kinaki
09-09-2019, 10:52 AM
Short of lowering your screen refresh rate in nvidia/amd options, there is also the option of WinEQ. WinEQ can still provide a refresh rate cap -under- the hardcoded cap.

bomaroast
09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
I actually kept my frames locked at 42 because I play on a potato. Are mine now hard locked to 60?

Rogean
09-09-2019, 11:28 AM
I've had a 144 HZ Monitor for years and always had my FPS Capped at 60 in EQ, never an issue, and I run a 240 HZ Monitor now at the same 60 Cap. I think it will just come down to adjusting your monitor and video card settings.

eclipseone
09-09-2019, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys. Issue for me is that it’s a laptop panel, so Nvidia has no control over it. Any suggestions on specific settings ? Nvidia control panel will not allow a refresh rate change.

It’s bizarre as when I’m running around it’s smooth, soon as i slew it’s very apparent

eclipseone
09-09-2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys. Issue for me is that it’s a laptop panel, so Nvidia has no control over it. Any suggestions on specific settings ? Nvidia control panel will not allow a refresh rate change.

It’s bizarre as when I’m running around it’s smooth, soon as i slew it’s very apparent

I should add, running the game on a new laptop system has proven difficult in the past.

Kinaki
09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Why can't you change your monitors refresh rate on a laptop? regardless, I just upped my monitor's refresh to 144 and, like Rogean, I'm still getting the ~60fps in-game. So, not really sure about your issue.

WinEQ is still an option though:
https://i.imgur.com/Obot6Uk.png

eclipseone
09-09-2019, 12:43 PM
it's not the frames, it's the laptop. I've had this issue in the past with getting it to run on laptops. I'll keep tinkering - wineq is ineffective for me, likely because I don't know how to set it up

loramin
09-09-2019, 01:01 PM

I know some graphics card/monitor hardware can only handle certain refresh rates at certain resolutions.

Even if you don't want to play at a lower resolution, one thing you could try (if only to get another data point of information) would be lowering your resolution and seeing if that let's you change the refresh rate.

eclipseone
09-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys...

It's nothing to do with refresh after some looking. It's the same stuff I get every time I get a new machine. It has to do with CPU load and how it interacts with EQ. I've had this problem on the last 3 laptops - which I can generally fix with adding extra back ground tasks like "Steam" or "Epic Games". Unfortunately after this patch, my "tricks" are no longer working. I've tried a new install as well. No joy. Maybe it's the end for me.

eclipseone
09-10-2019, 01:28 AM
Reinstall fixed all.

BoneyBoney
09-10-2019, 08:04 AM
Reinstall fixed all.

Hi, I have exactly this same issue. Moving, as in running forward, is smooth. Panning around laterally or vertically is very jarring and juddery, by comparison. Certainly compared to pre-patch.

When you say reinstall do you mean start afresh with the EQ Titanium client or the operating system?

eclipseone
09-10-2019, 10:18 AM
New EQ install sir :)

BoneyBoney
09-10-2019, 11:37 AM
New EQ install sir :)

Didnt work for me. Reinstalled completely afresh from the Titanium disks, exact same problem in game.

Client has 60fps set. Video mode has 60hz set. I also set my 144hz monitor to 60hz, doesn't make a single difference.

eclipseone
09-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Are you using a laptop? If so, load up some tasks like Steam or something similar. That’s been my fix for years and multiple laptops, EQ doesn’t challenge the CPU much. Before my install, I couldn’t even mouse look at all in EC tunnel, it was 1fps. After reinstall, it’s a locked 60fps, no stutters - but still obviously not 144fps.

BoneyBoney
09-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Are you using a laptop? If so, load up some tasks like Steam or something similar. That’s been my fix for years and multiple laptops, EQ doesn’t challenge the CPU much. Before my install, I couldn’t even mouse look at all in EC tunnel, it was 1fps. After reinstall, it’s a locked 60fps, no stutters - but still obviously not 144fps.

Sadly not, a gaming tower.

I'm fairly up on framerate and refresh selections, having a gsync monior but none of these changes make any sense to me. Overnight (pre-patch) I went from an incredibly smooth gameplay experience to one that's now so frustrating when mouselooking or panning left and right, that it makes me feel sick.

Of all the changes that went in, this is the one I just can't live with.

Tibbs12
09-10-2019, 05:06 PM
Yea, my game does not run smooth either with the 60fps cap.

Jimjam
09-11-2019, 01:49 AM
Have you tried to set the affinity of the process to a specific processor?

BoneyBoney
09-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Have you tried to set the affinity of the process to a specific processor?

Yes, made no difference. This issue was not present before the latest patch.

Izmael
09-11-2019, 09:04 AM
Logged in today for the first time and indeed it immediately felt unsmooth, running around.

It definitely doesn't feel like 60 fps. More like 30. Maybe something about the software FPS capping not being "in sync" with the monitor frames, and sometimes the monitor displays 1 frame while the game counted 2 ? Something like that.

Maybe it can be capped at somethinkg like 99 FPS? It will still achieve the same goal of avoiding framerate cheats, but hopefully will feel smoother? (99 and not 100 because at 100 mouse-looking starts to become buggy).

BoneyBoney
09-11-2019, 01:21 PM
So I signed up to EQ Live to confirm and its smooth as butter. Whatever this server enforced 60fps cap is, its directly conflicting with the local system and so far, after hours to troubleshooting it, I cannot solve the problem.

knucklehairs
09-14-2019, 10:48 PM
Any fix to this problem yet I'm having the same problem on desktop ever other time I turn it stutters so bad I lose track of which direction I'm going

ReadOnly
09-15-2019, 12:20 AM
You guys need to install Fraps or use the Nvidia game recorder and turn on the FPS display so you can see if you are in fact running at 60 FPS.

Kiwix
10-07-2019, 05:23 AM
Still having issues here even though I tried every good advice on this forum. Game is unplayable atm :(

wt* is Steam? And how do I test this 17th thing?

/cry baby on

Kiwix
10-08-2019, 05:49 AM
Update to my situation:

I gave up and re-started with a new installation of EQ. This worked! And im totally lag free just like in the good old days. However, I was still puzzled about the cause that had triggered this.

Today I talked with a friend, at he said the same thing had happend to him not long ago. He had, just like me, unzipped the patch files directly in to the EQ folder. Somehow that method doesnt proporly replaces some of the files when they land into the folder from the zip file. Insted the files should be unzipped in a different folder and then copied in to the EQ folder. Im not too technical about this, because I simply dont know better. Maybe others can elaborate.

Anyways, this might be a thing to test for others in my situation.

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
10-08-2019, 06:05 AM
Unzipping directly and unzipping into a folder and copying should theorectically be the same. I would expect if there were any issues unzipping and overwriting winzip (or 7z whatever you use) would tell you if there were any violations etc.

Very odd. Not saying you're wrong but i cant think of a reason for it.

Anyway as it happens I always extract a new release in a seperate hotfix folder anyway. Always seems the safest way to me.