PDA

View Full Version : Getting fed up

Gnoway Jose
09-08-2019, 12:39 PM
This game is becoming impossible for normal people to patch and install. Updating I must now fight windows 10 permissions and DSETUP.dll is missing.
I almost cant even do this anymore I dont know anyone to come to my house and help me fix all this.
Make this game playable, make this game patchable without taking a weekend course on how to be a PC tech.
I couldnt get new people to come play p99 if i wanted to its impossible to easily install and play.
I dont even know where to begin to fix all this now
DSETUP.DLL WHERE ARE YOU !!?!?!??!?!

aaezil
09-08-2019, 12:44 PM
Nice meltdown

galach
09-08-2019, 12:49 PM
This game is becoming impossible for normal people to patch and install. Updating I must now fight windows 10 permissions and DSETUP.dll is missing.
I almost cant even do this anymore I dont know anyone to come to my house and help me fix all this.
Make this game playable, make this game patchable without taking a weekend course on how to be a PC tech.
I couldnt get new people to come play p99 if i wanted to its impossible to easily install and play.
I dont even know where to begin to fix all this now
DSETUP.DLL WHERE ARE YOU !!?!?!??!?!

You need to whitelist this file. It is picked up by most anti virus programs as a virus.

Gnoway Jose
09-08-2019, 01:22 PM
permissions and anti virus
windows 7 and windows 10 neither allow permissions
I feel this process could be made MUCH EASIER

I cant be the only person on p99 thats screwed by this run around instal process WE JUST NEED A GAME PATCHER or some tech support

toasteroven
09-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Why is it getting flagged as a virus? What exactly are you doing @ P99 Staff

Atmas
09-08-2019, 03:10 PM
I feel this process could be made MUCH EASIER

I cant be the only person on p99 thats screwed by this run around instal process WE JUST NEED A GAME PATCHER or some tech support

Why don't you pay for someone to make you one. Or help you with your free experience. How did you even get on the server in the first place if you had so much trouble extracting files?

Kavious
09-08-2019, 03:12 PM
It contains the anticheat code. It can see things

elwing
09-08-2019, 03:51 PM
You need to whitelist... Ok fun, how do we do wheb bitdefender antivirus has no option to whitelist?

Mark11
09-08-2019, 09:17 PM
When i read all the helpful and friendly posts here, i can imagine how a project1999 would be, when only prisoners of a supermaxx would be allowed to play it.
Maybe we need a helpforum where only community-helper and mods can write.

poofph
09-10-2019, 07:10 PM
Its because p99 installs what is basically spyware/virus so they can have complete access to your computer.. not just normal drm stuff but beyond. anti cheat reasons they claim.

Ampsonic
09-10-2019, 07:22 PM

Windows 10 does. I just did it like an hour ago. I'll walk you through it:

1.) Click on start button, start typing "virus" and click on Virus & threat protection
2.) Under the "Current Threats" heading, you'll see a link that says "protection history." Click it.
3.) One of the recent threats blocked should be the "dsetup.dll" file. Find it and click restore.
4.) You'll get a new message in the protection history that says "Threat Removed or Restored." Click on that, find the drop down, and click "allow."

All set.

Flowe
09-10-2019, 11:25 PM
I get the virus threat also. Why is this program not probing the accounts on the server. Instead you want to look at my pc. A little to much for me. There are ways to detect cheating on the server it self, and not peoples pc. I don;t want you probing my pc info. Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock is what I get in file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\dsetup.dll. With this This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

Won't play until this is gone, and put on the server. NOT MY PC

Stonehaven
09-11-2019, 12:45 AM
Why don't you pay for someone to make you one. Or help you with your free experience. How did you even get on the server in the first place if you had so much trouble extracting files?

Gnoway Jose, extracting files are a very basic task to managing your computer. The biggest problem i have when first learning to extract files were that it often creates a folder for those files but, if this was the case for you EQ wont be able to read the files so all you have to do is open that folder and copy and paste (or move them) to the EQ folder then delete that useless folder.

Ive been playing for idk getting close to 7 months maybe and had to patch just once, however a few days after this recent patch windows security did start flagging a file as a virus but it was an easy fix on windows 10 to just allow the file and restore it, though i still posted an inquery on this - i found the steps on how to do this in the forums very easy. Its not a bad thing to be ignorant in some areas of computer management, learning always helps though

For an old FREE game it sounds like your just a bit too upset and have your expectations set a bit too high, ask specific questions and leave all that other junk out, you will still likely get your answer without everyone thinking your being too intense and needy.

I get the virus threat also. Why is this program not probing the accounts on the server. Instead you want to look at my pc. A little to much for me. There are ways to detect cheating on the server it self, and not peoples pc. I don;t want you probing my pc info. Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock is what I get in file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\EverQuest\dsetup.dll. With this This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker.

I dont think all cheating software is easily detectable via server-side. I believe most games use anti-cheat software most notably counter-strike and WoW, why shouldn't EQ?

We humans are naturally suspicious and paranoid, it has been a very needed survival trait which will likely stick around with us for a long time into the future, but unfortunately in the advanced society we are evolving into it has some negative side effects such as causing us to distrust when its really ok to trust. I really dont know thats the case here, if we can trust all the files from the P99 team, only time will tell; but all of us have trusted the files so far up till now and our PC's haven't blown up yet, ive trusted and allowed that recent file and so far no smoke or sizzling happening over here - Im pretty sure we can continue to trust the files from them.

Raije1000
09-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Yo Flowe, relax, im over here in Gilbert. Been on p99 for 7 years, its just anticheat software. get your ass in here

Flowe
09-11-2019, 02:13 AM
I played eq and eq2 for years and never had a virus threat with patches. I want to know what they are looking at. I have private files I don't want people probing. If other games use software to find out your cheating that does not make my virus protection go off on it. I don't trust something I don't know what they are probing. And what about people who can't use the keyboard with their hands. Because of a illness. They use bots to use their voice to do keyboard input. Is that going to flag them as cheaters? They put it there and don't explain what it looks for and why it was put there. Maybe SOE should get involved. Because this seems not right to put a virus on people computer. I am all for catching cheaters. But to put a virus on my computer is not the way to go.

Just saying. Gilbert person.

FYI Blizzard shut them down. So no more WOW. So Blizzard is making a classic server.

aaezil
09-11-2019, 02:27 AM

People this ignorant also vote. . .

Le sigh

Flowe
09-11-2019, 02:37 AM
Boy that was harsh. About my concerns of a virus on my PC. The dumbest question is the one not asked. I know as a programmer nothing is not hack-able. If cheaters are cheating don;t you think they can hack the anti-cheat software?

aaezil
09-11-2019, 02:40 AM
Boy that was harsh. About my concerns of a virus on my PC. The dumbest question is the one not asked. I know as a programmer nothing is not hack-able. If cheaters are cheating don;t you think they can hack the anti-cheat software?

There’s no virus in the p99 files and this server has a reputation for cheaters getting quickly caught and banned.

I also want to address the recent issues with false positive anti-virus flags on our files. As I've explained in the past, we run our Custom DLL through a layer of obfuscation using a program called Themida. This program alters several aspects of the code to make it significantly harder for someone to reverse engineer and disassemble it. The reason we do this is that it contains anti-cheat mechanisms. Our files alone do not flag any anti-virus, and have a complete 0 detection on VirusTotal. Therefore it is entirely the Themida protection that triggers these flags. There are two reasons for this. First, the anti virus programs can't read our files and determine what they are doing, so they are flagging it out of an abundance of caution. Secondly, there are many viruses out there that DO use Themida to mask what their virus is doing, and many Anti Viruses have opted to completely blacklist any file protected by it. I want to reiterate something I've said in the past that remains true: Our Anti-Cheat system does not send any information to our servers about the files and programs on your computer unless they are Everquest files, or have interacted with the Everquest client.

With all of that said, with this latest file pack, I've reverted back to an older version of Themida that should hopefully result in less false positives. I will continue to investigate alternatives to prevent this, such as Certificate Code Signing.

Thanks all, and keep an eye out for some Green news coming soon! :)

There are new required files. Download and extract the Project 1999 Files (V49b) (http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files49b.zip) to your EQ Titanium Directory.

Flowe
09-11-2019, 02:57 AM
Thank you, That piece of info explains a lot. Now instead of calling me ignorant why did you not just direct me to this?

PS Going to reinstall eq and play. On an pc I don't have anything on of importance on it.

Flowe
09-12-2019, 10:14 AM
Almost every time I camp my toon out Game crashes. Help plz.

Never did that until the patch

Flowe
09-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Themida is an application aimed at protecting software from being pirated.

Flowe
09-12-2019, 10:23 AM
Themida is an application that protects and hides the nature of trojan infections. While Themida itself is not a trojan or a virus, it can be used by the creators of these programs to hide the nature of the malware threats.

Flowe
09-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Vulnerabilities in software protectors
Other software protectors have important vulnerabilities, which prevent them from being a perfect solution to protect an application against reverse engineering or cracking. The following section identifies some of those vulnerabilities and shows how Themida resolves them.

Obsolete protection techniques
Most modern software protection systems use already broken techniques that are quite easy to bypass. Normally, an attacker will reuse the same proven tools that have been used over years to break protection systems. Often the attacker will release a global technique to attack every application protected by a specific protection system. SecureEngine uses new technology in software protection to ensure each protected application is unique thus preventing any cracking tool from being used to create a universal crack to your application.

Attackers are one step ahead of the protection system
When a software protection system has been broken, their authors implement patches to avoid a specific attack from being used again on new versions. Typically attackers will inspect the new changes that have been applied in the new version and will easily bypass them again. In this common scenario, attackers are always one step ahead from the protection system because the new applied patches can easily be identified and defeated.
SecureEngine has a different approach to avoid this. If vulnerability is found the vulnerable object is quickly changed (due to the mutable technology used in SecureEngine) instead of releasing a patch against the specific threat. The new object, joined with the rest of the SecureEngine objects, creates a completely new protection system. The benefits of this, when compared to common software protectors, is that attackers will have to reexamine the whole protection code to bypass the new changes.

Understanding the risk

When an application is being created, the Compiler will compile the application source code into several object files made of machine language code. Then the object files are linked together to create the final executable.

In the same manner that the source code of an application is converted into machine code at compilation time, there are tools that can convert a compiled application into assembly language or a higher programming language. These tools are known as dissemblers and de-compilers.

An attacker can use a dissembler or de-compiler to study how a specific application works and what a specific routine does. When the attacker has a good knowledge of the target application, he can modify the compiled application to alter his behavior. For example, the attacker could bypass the routine that checks for the trial period in an application and make it run forever or even worse, cause the application to behave as if it was registered.

Flowe
09-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Since software protectors were born, many attackers have centered most of their efforts on attacking the software protectors themselves instead of the applications. Many tools have been developed that aid in the attacking of software protectors. These attacks often result in the attacker obtaining the original application that is decrypted and has the protection wrapper removed.

The main problem with software protectors is that they use protection techniques very well known by crackers, so they can be easily bypassed with traditional cracking tools.

Another important problem in software protectors is that they have restricted execution by the operating system, that is, they run with normal application privileges. Because of this attackers can use cracking tools that run at the same priority level as the operating system allowing them to fully supervise what a software protector is doing at a certain time and attack it in specific places.

Something new to decode virtualized code.
Usually these sections are important enough that the game developer wants to hide in the client so they are probably important for at least something; client authentication, etc.

Now you can decode these sections with an IDA Plug-in this guy made:
DeCV — a decompiler for Code Virtualizer by Oreans
https://github.com/pakt/decv

Hoppkins_Wytchfinder
09-16-2019, 09:00 AM
EQ used to be a lot worse. Fighting with sound drivers, graphics drivers, directX etc.

And all the same problems with AV etc.

I remember velious came out DirectX version switched, i had awful problems for days. Had to buy a new gpx card in the end. Be thankful that all that is behind us now.

KOOLLAYD
09-16-2019, 09:43 AM
This is exactly why my off ramp for my primary OS was Windows 7. Windows Shit 10 is such a pain in the ass to run anything on anymore now days. While I do keep a copy of it for DX12 games on a bootable storage partition on my hard drive and keep Windows 7 on another hard drive for competitive games. I will say my main OS on my rig now is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and I have had very little issues when it comes to running older games on Wine. I would say if you guys are that worried about viruses then I'd break off a partition for either that OS or another Linux distribution of your choice. The odds of you copping a virus on a Linux distro. is about the same as you winning the lottery in real life mates. lol :D

sonicjoose
09-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Had to reinstall my windows to install the 49b patch. Kept saying my EQ folder was in use, when it was not. But it's all working good now.

KOOLLAYD
09-17-2019, 08:18 AM
Had to reinstall my windows to install the 49b patch. Kept saying my EQ folder was in use, when it was not. But it's all working good now.

Glad you got it sorted out mate. I am curious. Did you ever work out why you had to do a complete reinstall of Windows though? I was just wondering because usually a reboot would fix that issue as far as Windows is concerned. :cool:

Bbeta
09-17-2019, 09:43 AM
https://i.imgur.com/K6DfAeW.jpg

jacobar
09-20-2019, 07:42 AM
https://i.imgur.com/K6DfAeW.jpg

did this and am not laughing now, why do this to me? Next what you will want my cookies?