PDA

View Full Version : New patch broken on MacOS?

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 07:57 AM
Having replaced the patch files with the newer versions, P99 loads for a bit and then crashes without opening any windows when launched via WineSkin.

Anyone else having this problem?

fuzzy871
09-08-2019, 08:03 AM
I am! I was just coming to the forums to post about it. Wineskin opens in the dock then goes away! I had avoided updating my macOs several patches ago because I heard it caused issues, but was wondering if now I need to update my MacOS. /shrug

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 08:07 AM
I'm currently on 10.14.6 Mojave. I see a supplemental update is available - I'll install it and report back.

If I had to guess, I bet the problem is case-sensitive filenames. Common programming mistake when porting between Windows / UNIX-y systems.

fuzzy871
09-08-2019, 08:09 AM
I stopped at High Sierra 10.13.6

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 08:28 AM
The OS update didn't change my MacOS version number, nor did it fix the problem with P99 not launching.

Next, I'll look for a copy of the last patch files and do a diff to see if any config filenames changed. Maybe some path strings in the config files aren't capitalized correctly, causing the loader to fail.

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 08:41 AM
Nothing obvious in the diff. I also see that new/revised patch notes were uploaded a minute ago; I have installed them, and am still getting the same bug (loader crashes before opening any windows).

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 08:45 AM
In Program Files/Sony/EverQuest, my dbg.txt hasn't been modified at all since applying the new patch. The last "Starting EverQuest" log is from before I applied the new files.

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Giving up for now, unless Rogean and crew have any updates for us.

Henlolizar
09-08-2019, 09:01 AM
I'm having the same problem.

ssin314
09-08-2019, 09:02 AM
I use the EverQuest_V45 install to run on mac, however EQ will no longer load after this new patch. I've narrowed it down to the file dsetup.dll that seems to be causing the issue. Client will still load after adding every single other new patch file (albeit the char screen loads as human and tells me files are out of date) until dsetup.dll is added, then it just stops working. Please help!

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 09:16 AM
I use the EverQuest_V45 install to run on mac, however EQ will no longer load after this new patch. I've narrowed it down to the file dsetup.dll that seems to be causing the issue. Client will still load after adding every single other new patch file (albeit the char screen loads as human and tells me files are out of date) until dsetup.dll is added, then it just stops working. Please help!

Sounds consistent with everyone’s reported symptoms. Dynamic loader failure would kill the process before opening any windows or writing to any log files.

supercalif
09-08-2019, 09:25 AM
No issues for me using wineskin on my Mac. Every time a new patch goes up I manually drag each file and replace. I don’t just move the zip contents and replace all files. That creates issues for me in the past.

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 09:27 AM
I also replaced the files manually. However, thinking back, I may have dragged the "default" and "velious" folders into uifiles rather than doing a per-file move on those directories. I'll find their original contents and try again.

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Didn't fix it for me. I'll try patching from a fresh install later.

jacobar
09-08-2019, 10:02 AM
New patch also broke my install. Uable to select character, Keep getting the spell file Error even after putting in new patch v49 folder

Xenmir
09-08-2019, 10:03 AM
I am also experiencing this issue- I did the per-file move as detailed above and am 100% confident i put everything in the correct place. The P99 App launches briefly and then closes after about 6 seconds. Terminal logs not showing any errors, but haven't dug much deeper than that.

Ruien
09-08-2019, 10:07 AM
I know this is only tangentially related, but the new patch did not break while running under linux, specifically with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) on ubuntu 18.04. It was working under V48 patch and continues to work flawlessly under the V49 patch.

I mention it because it rules out some possible issues, helping to narrow the solution space of possible causes. Best of luck with this!

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 10:07 AM
New patch also broke my install. Uable to select character, Keep getting the spell file Error even after putting in new patch v49 folder

This sounds like a different issue (vs. the launcher loading for a bit, then crashing before displaying any windows). I'd recommend making a separate thread.

erlkoenig
09-08-2019, 10:08 AM
No issues for me using wineskin on my Mac. Every time a new patch goes up I manually drag each file and replace. I don’t just move the zip contents and replace all files. That creates issues for me in the past.

supercalif, could you share your MacOS version on the off chance it's related? Apple symbol in top left -> About

jacobar
09-08-2019, 10:28 AM
I know this is only tangentially related, but the new patch did not break while running under linux, specifically with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) on ubuntu 18.04. It was working under V48 patch and continues to work flawlessly under the V49 patch.

I mention it because it rules out some possible issues, helping to narrow the solution space of possible causes. Best of luck with this!

Running linux here and it broke my install ubuntu 19.01 with wine 3

Lusick
09-08-2019, 10:29 AM
Same issue for me here as well. Fresh install, new patch files, still not working.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 10:39 AM
me three

MacOS 14.6 supplemental
Vile's zip becomes broken after applying final p1999 patch files today

Does this have to do with the old nektulous files or something else?

/cry

Ruien
09-08-2019, 10:57 AM
It's very interesting that this broke for jacobar under linux. That means there could be a common cause for the wine-related pain.

I am running successfully under linux, still substantially the same install as the original guide (https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126081) from six years ago. The eqclient.ini is marginally different; d3dx9_30.dll is the same.

These are my current versions of eqclient.ini and d3dx9_30.dll:

http://mirror.ryansanden.com/EQ_linux_2019-09-08/d3dx9_30.dll
http://mirror.ryansanden.com/EQ_linux_2019-09-08/eqclient.ini

Want to try backing up your files and trying these?
Beyond this, I can't think of anything suggest, but it might be worth a shot.

matticas
09-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Having replaced the patch files with the newer versions, P99 loads for a bit and then crashes without opening any windows when launched via WineSkin.

Anyone else having this problem?

I’m having the same problem.

matticas
09-08-2019, 11:16 AM
I also replaced the files manually. However, thinking back, I may have dragged the "default" and "velious" folders into uifiles rather than doing a per-file move on those directories. I'll find their original contents and try again.

I wondered about this. I didn't find a "velious" folder to replace the files in, so I simply dropped that folder into my "uifiles" folder. That "uifiles" folder now has three folders: "default" "default_old" and "velious" -- is that correct, or should I move/delete something there?

Henlolizar
09-08-2019, 11:21 AM
I wondered about this. I didn't find a "velious" folder to replace the files in, so I simply dropped that folder into my "uifiles" folder. That "uifiles" folder now has three folders: "default" "default_old" and "velious" -- is that correct, or should I move/delete something there?

Echoing this question. I tried the same thing.

Lusick
09-08-2019, 11:21 AM
I tried both ways, adding the velious folder, and merging the velious with the default..still no luck.

chchen
09-08-2019, 11:27 AM
same problem here.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 12:13 PM
i just decomm'd my last windows laptop too a week ago

guess we'll need to dual boot windows again until we figure it out

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Might have to go back to this way of playing EQ unless this is fixed. **Won't be able to test it out until Civ 6 session ends later tonight.

So for those of you that upgraded to macOS High Sierra, here's what I did to get Project 1999 running on my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch Early 2013).

First, obtain a Windows 7 x64 bit Professional full installation standalone .ISO, (you'll need a Windows license) NOT an OEM manufacturer Windows .ISO.

Follow this KB article VERBATIM:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Upon completion of the above article, run windows update otherwise your graphics card won't be detected by EQ.

I copied an existing installation folder of p1999 off my backup drive to the MacBook and then downloaded the latest Project 1999 files patch. *(Project 1999 Files (V45) <-- at time of this post

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

Prof

https://i.imgur.com/tzjoV4T.jpg

supercalif
09-08-2019, 01:03 PM
supercalif, could you share your MacOS version on the off chance it's related? Apple symbol in top left -> About

I’ll post more details on my setup to help you troubleshoot when I get home later today.

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 01:06 PM
Yep it broke the game for me too. The window doesnt load in at all. Everquest comes up on the toolbar then goes away after nothing happens. : (

jacobar
09-08-2019, 01:29 PM
Yep it broke the game for me too. The window doesnt load in at all. Everquest comes up on the toolbar then goes away after nothing happens. : (

Same here. Tried about everything I can manage as far as extracting files go, a fresh install is next but unsurenhow this will help. Im trying because at some point in the past I used a eqlite totorial which helped me make my eq folder smaller and maybe something has been removed due to that so fresh install here I come

Lewkeng
09-08-2019, 02:01 PM
someone fix this shit lol

sacman08
09-08-2019, 02:05 PM
I got a message about missing dsetup.dll... might be related.

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 02:06 PM
My computer quarantined it but i moved it back before launching...didnt help

jacobar
09-08-2019, 02:16 PM
My computer quarantined it but i moved it back before launching...didnt help

Fresh install with new patch put in on ubuntu 19.01 using wine still unable to log in due to "spells missing" Patch installed sucessfully best of my knowledge, been through a couple patches, never had this issue before.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 02:26 PM
it's broken guys

Sensibo
09-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Have GMs responded to anybody on this issue?

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 03:00 PM
It has broke it for me as well. Test run logs says failed to launch eqgame.exe.

jacobar
09-08-2019, 03:11 PM
It has broke it for me as well. Test run logs says failed to launch eqgame.exe.

How are we passing pqtchme on linux / mac? I for one am ccalling it in my script, matbe this can be a part of the issue? maybe we should launch the titabium vatch file instead of eqgame.exe?
i have not tried this yet

jacobar
09-08-2019, 03:12 PM
would require a frwsh install if for somereason it pushed the patch when we tried to launch through eqgame.exe instead of the titanium laumcher

jacobar
09-08-2019, 03:13 PM
I have to start to get ready for bed soon but if there isnt a fix before tonight I'll keep working on ideas

Atychiphobia
09-08-2019, 03:13 PM
me three

MacOS 14.6 supplemental
Vile's zip becomes broken after applying final p1999 patch files today

Does this have to do with the old nektulous files or something else?

/cry

Hey guys I have the same problem.

Had Vile's awesome install and play. Worked perfectly to patch up other times but now it broke. Launching the game and it crashes before anything happens.

orblivion
09-08-2019, 03:16 PM

Same issue for me following install of patch v49. Running Mojave 10.14.6.

Had to disable my anti-virus as I got message about dsetup.dll too.

jacobar
09-08-2019, 03:22 PM
mayne this can help per the notes on the install guide. " . Some users have experienced trouble installing Titanium to their Program Files directory with Windows Vista/7/8, so an alternate path should be specified (Example: C:\EQEmu)."

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 03:26 PM
So when I updated spell files earlier, my P99 Wine client would try to boot then crash. I checked wine logs and it said it was dlsetup.dll failing to load, eqgame.exe could not load. So I tried to do a new wine install but can't even remember all the new steps I had to do when I updated to the newest mac os. I now can't even reinstall if I wanted too. But when I went into the reinstalls package contents and went to the sony folder, I saw DLSETUP.DLL as opposed to dlsetup.dll in the new v49 spell files. I copy pasted the DLSETUP.DLL into my original p99 wine file that worked before today and now it CAN BOOT UP AGAIN and get all the way to the character screen. Unfortunately it says my spells are out dated though so not really a fix

TLDR
Updated spell files, it broke my wine launcher to the point it wouldn't even open anymore. Took original p99 installation DLSETUP.dll and replaced the new dlsetup.dll from v49. Wine will now boot all the way to char screen but say spell files are outdated

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 03:31 PM
I kept saying DLsetup, I meant dsetup.dll

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 03:35 PM
So when I updated spell files earlier, my P99 Wine client would try to boot then crash. I checked wine logs and it said it was dsetup.dll failing to load, eqgame.exe could not load. So I tried to do a new wine install but can't even remember all the new steps I had to do when I updated to the newest mac os. I now can't even reinstall if I wanted too. But when I went into the reinstalls package contents and went to the sony folder, I saw DSETUP.DLL as opposed to dsetup.dll in the new v49 spell files. I copy pasted the DSETUP.DLL into my original p99 wine file that worked before today and now it CAN BOOT UP AGAIN and get all the way to the character screen. Unfortunately it says my spells are out dated though so not really a fix

TLDR
Updated spell files, it broke my wine launcher to the point it wouldn't even open anymore. Took original p99 installation DSETUP.dll and replaced the new dsetup.dll from v49. Wine will now boot all the way to char screen but say spell files are outdated

If I change the DSETUP.DLL file back to the new one included with v49 spell files, wine will no longer boot at all so it has to be the new dsetup.dll file. Theres also a difference in the .dll files, the original one DSETUP.DLL is from 2015 while the new one included in v49 files dsetup.dll is from today at 8:30 apparently.

jacobar
09-08-2019, 03:52 PM
If I change the DSETUP.DLL file back to the new one included with v49 spell files, wine will no longer boot at all so it has to be the new dsetup.dll file. Theres also a difference in the .dll files, the original one DSETUP.DLL is from 2015 while the new one included in v49 files dsetup.dll is from today at 8:30 apparently.

on a fresh install with no patch both files are present, as i do not discount that the problem isnt with the dsetup.dll file, as that is possible. in a fresh install no patch both dsetup.dll and DSETUP.dll are already present in the eq folder.

has anyone tried to fresh install into a simple path yet? im unable to try right now, per ibstall notes its suggested to try to install to C:/EQemu instead of defult C:/Default Files/Sony/EverQuest. because it is said that this can cause problems to some users. I will try later if no one has try yet by then

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 04:03 PM
on a fresh install with no patch both files are present, as i do not discount that the problem isnt with the dsetup.dll file, as that is possible. in a fresh install no patch both dsetup.dll and DSETUP.dll are already present in the eq folder.

has anyone tried to fresh install into a simple path yet? im unable to try right now, per ibstall notes its suggested to try to install to C:/EQemu instead of defult C:/Default Files/Sony/EverQuest. because it is said that this can cause problems to some users. I will try later if no one has try yet by then

You can't have 2 exact filenames in the same folder. I did a fresh install before patch and there is ONLY "DSETUP.DLL" If you were to try to put a dsetup.dll it would replace the DSETUP.DLL .

Lewkeng
09-08-2019, 04:20 PM
You can't have 2 exact filenames in the same folder. I did a fresh install before patch and there is ONLY "DSETUP.DLL" If you were to try to put a dsetup.dll it would replace the DSETUP.DLL .

that worked for me and got eq to open and go to char select, still says files out of date now tho

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 04:23 PM
that worked for me and got eq to open and go to char select, still says files out of date now tho

Yeah, I don't know what to do anymore. I think it has solely to do with the dsetup.dll included with the v49 spell files released today. If I use any other version of dsetup.dll wine boots... but if I use the new v49 version wine won't even boot. I'm out of ideas now.

Lewkeng
09-08-2019, 04:27 PM
Well it has to be something wit that, wasnt it causing a problem on windows for a birus or something? Is the mac readin it as a virus and not opening?

jacobar
09-08-2019, 04:28 PM
hey everyone. Delete all dsetup.dll files in your eq directory and put in the one from the v49 patch and rename it to DSETUP.dll. this will fix thisngs

Lewkeng
09-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Not fixin anythin for me when i try renameing new one

supercalif
09-08-2019, 04:36 PM
So I am working on macOS Mojave version 10.14.6 with no issues using Winskin

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 04:37 PM
hey everyone. Delete all dsetup.dll files in your eq directory and put in the one from the v49 patch and rename it to DSETUP.dll. this will fix thisngs

There can ONLY be one dsetup.dll in the same folder on a mac, I've already tried renaming the v49 file to DSETUP.dll and it just causes wine to not boot at all again. Are you actually on mac? You cannot have two exact filenames in the same folder to begin with, it is jot case sensitive

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 04:38 PM
So I am working on macOS Mojave version 10.14.6 with no issues using Winskin

Im jealous, I cant figure out what is causing my issues besides the dll file.

jacobar
09-08-2019, 04:40 PM
not on mac or linux because the recognize differemt file names

jacobar
09-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Im jealous, I cant figure out what is causing my issues besides the dll file.

the V49 patch dll file name is lower casem rename the file to capital

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 04:43 PM
renaming dsetup.dll to DSETUP.dll
hard reboot

does NOT correct the issue for my vile p1999 macOS 10.14.6 (18G95) supplemental install

do we need to put back Nektulos files or something else?

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 04:49 PM
Renaming does not work for me, I already tried it

jacobar
09-08-2019, 05:21 PM
dsetup.dll < DSETUP.dll

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 05:23 PM
not on mac or linux because the recognize differemt file names

On a MAC you CAN'T have the same file name whether it be dsetup.dll or DSETUP.dll STOPPPP GIVING BAD ADVICE. We are talking MAC not LINUX. If you are really on a mac try copying the same file to the same folder and having the same names, it will not work.

ssin314
dsetup.dll < DSETUP.dll

still doesnt work for me =\

jacobar
Try reinstalling to a clean one word drive. like C:/eqemu. instead of C:/Program Files. I did these two things and was having the same exact issue and thisnis what fixed it for me

jacobar
09-08-2019, 05:35 PM
to note When i renamed the file on first reinstall after trying to launch the game the first time It did not work for me, a reinstall might be manditory at this point if renaming the DSETUP.dll in your eq filder is not working for you. but too they may be more issues. its all a maybe at this point. seems to work for some right out of the box amd not for other. some work on rename. some bot. hard to tell

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 05:55 PM
to note When i renamed the file on first reinstall after trying to launch the game the first time It did not work for me, a reinstall might be manditory at this point if renaming the DSETUP.dll in your eq filder is not working for you. but too they may be more issues. its all a maybe at this point. seems to work for some right out of the box amd not for other. some work on rename. some bot. hard to tell

Renaming does nothing... the v49 dsetup.dll is what's causing wine to not open. The original DSETUP.DLL lets wine open. The v49 dsetup.dll will not allow wine to open whether it's capital or lowercase.

Sensibo
09-08-2019, 06:31 PM
I'm in Scjanaski's position

Lewkeng
09-08-2019, 06:45 PM
bullllshittt someone fix this /sigh

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 06:52 PM
tried to rename the dsetup file did not work. I was skeptical that just making a filename capital letters would change anything...and I was correct - it did not fix the problem. Perhaps the issue has been unresolved among MAC users who are using wineskin?

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 06:56 PM
bullllshittt someone fix this /sigh

Yes, depressing. I've tried everything. Reinstalled several times, same issue everytime. Only way to get it to even boot is use the OLD DSETUP.dll as v49 spell files "dsetup.dll" causes my wineskin to not even be able to boot. I don't know what else to do.

Sturge
09-08-2019, 07:11 PM
All this, and no response. I'm disappointed.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 07:16 PM
staff knows it's broken for macOS

i recommend setting up bootcamp running windows dual boot off your Mac until a fix is issued

Videri
09-08-2019, 07:17 PM
All this, and no response. I'm disappointed.

It has been less than half of one day. Be patient. Above all, don't shoot digital dirty looks at the staff. They're volunteering. We want them to FEEL LIKE fixing stuff for us. Capisce?

Rogean
09-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Hi guys,

While we don't typically support anything other than windows, I would be willing to possibly investigate the cause behind the patch affecting mac users. It's obviously something to do with our DLL Changes, which was significantly revamped since the last time it was distributed. This file contains a lot of API/Hooking to edit the client's memory space for classic and anti cheat reasons.

I'll need help from a few of you to test the reasons for the crash, including running debug versions of the DLL. If you are a tech savvy person and are willing to help, contact me on Discord.

Spirit
09-08-2019, 07:18 PM
I have been using WineSkin on Mac to play p99 since 2016 and all of the patches have worked perfectly up until the latest 49 patch. Any help resolving this problem would be greatly appreciated!

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 07:21 PM
Cant be mad at developers, thats like bein mad that someone who gave you 100$ didnt give you 200$. I want the issue resolved but lets not forget this is a free thing people are doing because they're choosing to...

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Cant be mad at developers, thats like bein mad that someone who gave you 100$ didnt give you 200$. I want the issue resolved but lets not forget this is a free thing people are doing because they're choosing to...

I agree, just trying to figure out what is happening.

MikeXG
09-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Same for me. very disappointing.

does anyone run in VMware, parallels, or any other virtual machine? how is that? rather not boot camp.

Ashintar
09-08-2019, 08:07 PM
I've been able to get the Mac to work by re-copying over a working v49 windows install into my wrapper. Is anyone else able to try this and see if it works for them too?

jacobar
09-08-2019, 08:16 PM
tried to rename the dsetup file did not work. I was skeptical that just making a filename capital letters would change anything...and I was correct - it did not fix the problem. Perhaps the issue has been unresolved among MAC users who are using wineskin?

Have you tried to reinstall eq into a single file name directory? like C:/eqemu? per the setup guide?
was the onlybway it worked for me

jacobar
09-08-2019, 08:18 PM
I'm in Scjanaski's position

Have you tried a clean installl to a single file directory per the eq install guide on p1999 wiki to install to C:/eqemu instead of C:Program Files?

jacobar
09-08-2019, 08:21 PM
I've been able to get the Mac to work by re-copying over a working v49 windows install into my wrapper. Is anyone else able to try this and see if it works for them too?

This is a gpod idea, install to a VM of windows amd copy the files to see? seems like this is mostly effecting mac and aome linux users

fuzzy871
09-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Thanks Rogean for being willing to help troubleshoot! I appreciate all the developers do. I cannot begin to fathom the amount of effort you put into this.

Slackerkid26
09-08-2019, 08:42 PM
Hi guys,

While we don't typically support anything other than windows, I would be willing to possibly investigate the cause behind the patch affecting mac users. It's obviously something to do with our DLL Changes, which was significantly revamped since the last time it was distributed. This file contains a lot of API/Hooking to edit the client's memory space for classic and anti cheat reasons.

I'll need help from a few of you to test the reasons for the crash, including running debug versions of the DLL. If you are a tech savvy person and are willing to help, contact me on Discord.

Hi Roegan, would you consider rolling us back to the older version while the community works to troubleshoot?

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 08:50 PM
This is a gpod idea, install to a VM of windows amd copy the files to see? seems like this is mostly effecting mac and aome linux users

Are you saying this out of experience having set up Everquest on a mac or are you just guessing? There's no such thing as a C directory in MAC its all created by Wineskin so I'm really not savy enough to know the mechanics of it. I can rename the C directory in wineskine to EQemu...

3d_glasses
09-08-2019, 09:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfNbEUVweM

this is the video I originally used to install EQ on my mac. This is my only frame of reference on how this problem can be resolved...should I completely wipe the files I have and re-do step by step from this video but with new P49 files. Has anyone tried this and had success?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-08-2019, 10:46 PM
not looking forward to re-installing bootcamp but i have never successfully figured out the clean macOS wineskin p1999 install via that video i always assumed that 2013 video was outdated when i became a mac person in 2017

have been using Vile's install since 2017

been a good run but i shoulda had a bootcamp windows partition anyway
u get lazy when things work

szjanoski
09-08-2019, 11:46 PM

this is the video I originally used to install EQ on my mac. This is my only frame of reference on how this problem can be resolved...should I completely wipe the files I have and re-do step by step from this video but with new P49 files. Has anyone tried this and had success?

I have done this several times today. It still ends up the same, if you use the new v49 "dsetup.dll" , wineskin will not boot at all. If you use the old(I was using v47, I don't see a posting for v48 even) "DSETUP.dll" wineskin will boot and you will make it all the way to the character select screen but it will just be the naked human and it will say Spell Files are outdated.

wagorf
09-09-2019, 02:11 AM
hope there's a solution for us mac users, thanks dev and to all who volunteered to troubleshoot

for us avg joes who aren't tech savy, we can only check this thread multiple times a day...

Katran
09-09-2019, 05:39 AM
Hm strange.... i use an old Macbook Pro with Wine and P99. Simply dragged new patch file into EQ folder there, was starting as usual without any issues...

kabouter
09-09-2019, 06:31 AM
Hm strange.... i use an old Macbook Pro with Wine and P99. Simply dragged new patch file into EQ folder there, was starting as usual without any issues...

Which version of MAC OS are you using?

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 07:05 AM
I imagine older versions of mac os may work, I cant test now but if anyone is on 10.12 or earlier it may work.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for reaching out. I’m fairly tech-savvy, happy to run debug tools/collect logs/etc., will contract you on Discord.

Katran
09-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Which version of MAC OS are you using?

Will check when I am at home again. Think it is OS X 10.11: El Capitan but not sure.

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 08:04 AM
Will check when I am at home again. Think it is OS X 10.11: El Capitan but not sure.

This makes sense and might be an option as a work around. I forget if it is 10.12 or 10.13 but Apple slowly started to reduce support for older applications that were not 64bit. Workarounds in WINE aloud us to bypass that (for now anyway) but this patch may have changed that. I'll re image one of my older computers and see what newest version works. Would be great to get it working on Mojave (10.14) But if people don't want to buy a copy of windows and do bootcamp they could always partition their drive and install an older OS (since apple software is free).

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 08:20 AM
Im running el capitan 10.11.6

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
Im running el capitan 10.11.6

And it does NOT work for you? Or is it working on 10.11?

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
And it does NOT work for you? Or is it working on 10.11?

It does not work

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 08:35 AM
It does not work

Hmm okay, well there goes that idea. Ill still try on some older versions of the OS but might just be a wine issue.

Has anyone had any luck with virtual machines? I often work on my mac while I play and bootcamp would hinder that.

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 09:27 AM

I re-installed game and did everything that this video instructs, except removing zone files that in the new update are said not to be needed to be removed and it did not work. It is definitely something particular to new update because the client would open before inserting P49 files. After that wineskin will not start everquest window - comes up in toolbar then goes away.

Ayla
09-09-2019, 09:54 AM
It works fine here with Wine for macOS, so it seems to be an issue with Wineskin

https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS

https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 09:55 AM
Ok so its something to do with the dsetup.dll file - earlier someone posted that they switched out this file for an earlier update (P99 Files 47 instead of Files 49)'s version of it and got the client to run again;however, you get to the character screen and it says your client is out of date. I was able to do this. The new dsetup.dll from Pfiles49 is always flagged by my anti-virus but even after putting it back into the file, client still will not run. Anti-Virus is AVG.
I then uninstalled AVG from computer...still the client would not run

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,

I'm certainly willing to help out, I can't seem to find you on discord. I am tech savvy in regards to operation but I am no coder so I might not fit the bill.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Hmm okay, well there goes that idea. Ill still try on some older versions of the OS but might just be a wine issue.

Has anyone had any luck with virtual machines? I often work on my mac while I play and bootcamp would hinder that.

I've tried running EQ in Wine under Linux w/ Virtualbox, but it was unplayably slow on my machine (mid-2015 Macbook Pro). My research seemed to indicate that Windows wouldn't run it any faster, at least under Virtualbox, given poor support for GPU virtualization. You may have better results with a more expensive option like a VMWare product.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 10:28 AM
I've tried running EQ in Wine under Linux w/ Virtualbox, but it was unplayably slow on my machine (mid-2015 Macbook Pro). My research seemed to indicate that Windows wouldn't run it any faster, at least under Virtualbox, given poor support for GPU virtualization. You may have better results with a more expensive option like a VMWare product.

I have never used P99 on VM, but I have a buddy on the server who uses Parallels and he says it works great. I ended up bootcamping Windows 10 as a temporary fix. Win 10 bootcamp on my mac air seems to run fine from my characters POV, but all mobs and players seem to be rubberbanding by like a 1/4 of a second, sorta annoying but it works. I sure hope the wineskin issues can be ironed out.

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
It works fine here with Wine for macOS, so it seems to be an issue with Wineskin

Just to confirm, you got Project 1999 working with the latest patch? (on a Mac)

chchen
09-09-2019, 10:45 AM

What is your wine version?

chchen
09-09-2019, 10:48 AM

do we need to upgrade or downgrade wine or wineskin? What is your suggestion?

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 10:49 AM

To add, on the newest Mac OS? I'm pretty sure it's the new v49 "dsetup.dll" file. Wineskin will boot into the char screen when I use the v47 "DSETUP.dll" file but will say my spell files are outdated. When I use the v49 "dsetup.dll" Wineskin will not even open, it will try to open / hang / then close itself. The wineskin logs say "dsetup.dll" failed which in turns causing eqgame.exe to not launch.

Ayla
09-09-2019, 11:15 AM

yes, running on macOS Mojave 10.14,6 with Wine Stable 4.0.1 and I am not using the Wine wrapper Wineskin

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 11:58 AM
To add, on the newest Mac OS? I'm pretty sure it's the new v49 "dsetup.dll" file. Wineskin will boot into the char screen when I use the v47 "DSETUP.dll" file but will say my spell files are outdated. When I use the v49 "dsetup.dll" Wineskin will not even open, it will try to open / hang / then close itself. The wineskin logs say "dsetup.dll" failed which in turns causing eqgame.exe to not launch.

Yes same here

wagorf
09-09-2019, 12:23 PM
so are we wineskin wrapper (version 2.6.2) users supposed to switch to Wine Stable 4.0.1 ?

3d_glasses
09-09-2019, 12:29 PM
so are we wineskin wrapper (version 2.6.2) users supposed to switch to Wine Stable 4.0.1 ?

Wine is for MacOS 10.8 (?) Or higher, i couldnt find a version online for MacOS 10.1

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 12:39 PM
I can confirm that EQ works for me on patch 49 with Wine Stable 4.0.2. Graphics run smoothly, I can log in and camp out without client crashing.

Downloaded Wine from here:

If I had to guess why Wine Stable works and Wineskin doesn't, I'd bet Wineskin uses an older version of Wine which doesn't support whatever new stuff's in that DLL.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Just to add - if you previously used Wineskin and want to use Wine Stable instead, here are the exact steps:

1. Download the Wine Stable .pkg from the above link, and install
2. Click "Wine Stable" from Launcher. Approve all the permission pop-ups
3. In the terminal that pops up, navigate to the directory with your P99.app (or whatever you named the Wineskin app for EQ)
4. Go into P99.app, it's a directory. Inside, go to drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest
5. Run EQ with `wine eqgame.exe patchme`

You can make a shortcut icon if you figure out where Wine Stable put its executable, just with the command `<full path to wine> <full path to eqgame.exe> patchme`

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 01:04 PM
Just to add - if you previously used Wineskin and want to use Wine Stable instead, here are the exact steps:

3. In the terminal that pops up, navigate to the directory with your P99.app (or whatever you named the Wineskin app for EQ)
4. Go into P99.app, it's a directory. Inside, go to drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest

You can make a shortcut icon if you figure out where Wine Stable put its executable, just with the command `<full path to wine> <full path to eqgame.exe> patchme`

Thank you! Ill try when i get home

draconov
09-09-2019, 02:16 PM
Going to try wine stable tonight. I haven't updated anything yet. Erlko, this works regarless of the OS or do I have to update to Mojave? I think I am still using High Sierra.

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 03:53 PM

I'm receiving
FINAL Couldn't open or read UIFiles\default\EQLSUI.xml
Nothing is read only or access restricted. Files from latest patch are there.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Going to try wine stable tonight. I haven't updated anything yet. Erlko, this works regarless of the OS or do I have to update to Mojave? I think I am still using High Sierra.

Can’t speak to that, I only have Mojave. I would be optimistic, though, assuming EQ worked before the patch and you’re using Wine Stable.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 04:08 PM
I'm receiving
Nothing is read only or access restricted. Files from latest patch are there.

Hmm, new one on me. You’ve double-checked that that file exists, with the logged file name capitalization? I don’t think it should matter, but you could also make sure you’re running wine from the EverQuest directory (where eqgame.exe is located) instead of from another directory. Might be a relative file path thing.

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 04:21 PM
Hmm, new one on me. You’ve double-checked that that file exists, with the logged file name capitalization? I don’t think it should matter, but you could also make sure you’re running wine from the EverQuest directory (where eqgame.exe is located) instead of from another directory. Might be a relative file path thing.

Well hot damn. That was it, relative path. I ran the WineStable app, cd'd to the EQ directory, then it ran no problem. Thanks for the insight!

Lusick
09-09-2019, 05:01 PM
I tried the wine stable process, and it just goes to a white screen (about the size of EQ in windowed mode through wineskin). The white screen just hangs and wont let any other window or program display over it. An EQ icon appears at the bottom and is titled "wine pre-loader"

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 05:03 PM
I tried the wine stable process, and it just goes to a white screen (about the size of EQ in windowed mode through wineskin). The white screen just hangs and wont let any other window or program display over it. An EQ icon appears at the bottom and is titled "wine pre-loader"

Are you running eqgame.exe with the "patchme" modifier?

Lusick
09-09-2019, 05:10 PM
Yes. However, Im not sure I'm doing it right, as I do not know how to navigate to eqgame through wine. Im just dragging the icon into the terminal, which adds the entire file path, then adding patchme after. I sent you a PM if you wouldn't mind walking me through it.

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Yes. However, Im not sure I'm doing it right, as I do not know how to navigate to eqgame through wine. Im just dragging the icon into the terminal, which adds the entire file path, then adding patchme after. I sent you a PM if you wouldn't mind walking me through it.

No need for PMs, other people may have this issue as well.

Navigate to your EQ directory in Finder, find the eqgame.exe file.

When you run WineStable it opens a terminal window, correct?

In terminal, type "cd" then drag the eqgame.exe file from Finder into terminal. Press enter.

Then type wine (space) then drag eqgame.exe again, then space, then patchme. Then enter.

Lusick
09-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Yea, that’s what I’m doing. Getting hung up at pre-loader.

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Yea, that’s what I’m doing. Getting hung up at pre-loader.

You're cd'ing into the directory first?

Lusick
09-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Ok, wasn't cd'ing it, but that yields the same result. In the terminal, after cd'ing, it shows the file path and says "not a directory" with a space after cd. Without a space I get "no such file or directory"

ReadOnly
09-09-2019, 05:58 PM
Ok, wasn't cd'ing it, but that yields the same result. In the terminal, after cd'ing, it shows the file path and says "not a directory" with a space after cd. Without a space I get "no such file or directory"

sorry, for CD, you need to remove /eqgame.exe from the end. Just CD to the directory.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 06:15 PM
sorry, for CD, you need to remove /eqgame.exe from the end. Just CD to the directory.

When I try to install Wine stable it says I need XQuarts 2.7 or higher first?

Lusick
09-09-2019, 06:18 PM
that worked! now how do I create a direct icon to it?

Henlolizar
09-09-2019, 06:28 PM
that worked! now how do I create a direct icon to it?

Worked for me as well! Thank you! Would also like to know if a direct icon or shortcut could be made.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 06:31 PM

How do I link to inside of my P99 Wineskin path? I'm a bit confused...

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 06:33 PM
When I try to install Wine stable it says I need XQuarts 2.7 or higher first?

I must’ve had it installed already, or I’d have included it as a step. Apologies.

XQuartz lets Wine use Linux-style window management:

https://www.xquartz.org/

Katran
09-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Ok i checked it, i am running 10.13.6 High Sierra.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 06:42 PM
How do I link to inside of my P99 Wineskin path? I'm a bit confused...

Once you have Wine Stable installed, running it from Launcher by clicking its icon will open a command-line terminal. On this command-line, you will use ‘cd’ (plus ‘ls’ and maybe ‘pwd’) to navigate around. The P99 app looks like a program in Finder or on the desktop, but actually it’s just a special directory. You can navigate inside it on the command-line like a regular directory.

I don’t know how to make shortcut icons on MacOS. Google probably has some good tutorials.

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 06:45 PM

I seem to be having some trouble I've installed wine stable, the terminal window pops up, i navigate to the p99.app (/applications/EQp1999.app) I can then further navigate with the CD command to the everquest directory (/Applications/EQp1999.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest) but seem unable to get beyond that point? Am I missing something silly? I've tried run commands open commands changed the directory right to the eqgame.exe any guidance from those who have it working?

draconov
09-09-2019, 06:45 PM
I'm with szjanoski on this one. Is there a screenshot tutorial for this? I'm not tech savy at all. I downlaoded quartz and followed the steps so far. Im stuck at the terminal pop-up part.

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 06:47 PM
I seem to be having some trouble I've installed wine stable, the terminal window pops up, i navigate to the p99.app (/applications/EQp1999.app) I can then further navigate with the CD command to the everquest directory (/Applications/EQp1999.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/EverQuest) but seem unable to get beyond that point? Am I missing something silly? I've tried run commands open commands changed the directory right to the eqgame.exe any guidance from those who have it working?

So when you open Wine Stable and go to that directory, do you enter ‘wine eqgame.exe patchme’? What happens then?

Xenmir
09-09-2019, 06:52 PM
Can confirmed that Erlkoenig's instructions worked for me.

[insert German Romantic art song joke here]

erlkoenig
09-09-2019, 06:54 PM
See ReadOnly’s recent posts if you are a command-line newbie. My RSI has flared up, so I can’t post any more today.

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 06:55 PM
See ReadOnly’s recent posts if you are a command-line newbie. My RSI has flared up, so I can’t post any more today.

Got it working mate, thanks for all your help.

Slackerkid26
09-09-2019, 06:57 PM
Can someone help? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. So far I have:

1) Downloaded and Installed Wine Stable
2) Gotten into the command line
3) Typed 'wine eqgame.exe patchme’

When I do that, I receive a bunch of errors saying:

"/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'

I've also tried going right to the eqgame.exe file in my WineSkin wrapped and selecting open with Wine Stable. It tries to open and then I get a pop-up saying open everquest.exe. Have also tried dragging the eqgame.exe file into Wine Stable and that won't work either (I get a cannot open binary file message).

100pp for anyone that can help me out! :)

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 06:58 PM
Once you have Wine Stable installed, running it from Launcher by clicking its icon will open a command-line terminal. On this command-line, you will use ‘cd’ (plus ‘ls’ and maybe ‘pwd’) to navigate around. The P99 app looks like a program in Finder or on the desktop, but actually it’s just a special directory. You can navigate inside it on the command-line like a regular directory.

I don’t know how to make shortcut icons on MacOS. Google probably has some good tutorials.

This worked for me, great job community! My only question now would be... is anyone else having issues with quality of text? Everything seems a bit distorted compared to what it used to be for me. Gameplay is great, but the text is a bit distorted/ugly/not clear. Any way to fix that?

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Anyone figure out a clear way to create the shortcut?

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 07:02 PM
This worked for me, great job community! My only question now would be... is anyone else having issues with quality of text? Everything seems a bit distorted compared to what it used to be for me. Gameplay is great, but the text is a bit distorted/ugly/not clear. Any way to fix that?

its a font issue, try adjusting the size of the text in game.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Can someone help? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. So far I have:

1) Downloaded and Installed Wine Stable
2) Gotten into the command line
3) Typed 'wine eqgame.exe patchme’

When I do that, I receive a bunch of errors saying:

"/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'

I've also tried going right to the eqgame.exe file in my WineSkin wrapped and selecting open with Wine Stable. It tries to open and then I get a pop-up saying open everquest.exe. Have also tried dragging the eqgame.exe file into Wine Stable and that won't work either (I get a cannot open binary file message).

100pp for anyone that can help me out! :)

So this is how to get it work through Winestable

1. First go into your existing Wineskin P99 .app file (show package contents) and then navigate to your Everquest folder, for me it was Drive C>Program Files > Sony > Everquest. Find your eqgame.exe file in there.

2. Open up Wine Stable.

3. In Wine stable type cd THEN drag and drop your eqgame.exe file from the Wineskin directory into Wine Stable. BE SURE TO DELETE ALL OF EQGAME.EXE so your path just ends at the Everquest folder, NOT at Everquest/eqgame.exe but Everquest HIT ENTER

4. Then type wine THEN drag and drop eqgame.exe back into Wine Stable again THEN hit space and type patchme, hit enter.

Lusick
09-09-2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks to everyone for getting this worked out! Has anyone worked out a way to create a shortcut?

Slackerkid26
09-09-2019, 07:26 PM
So this is how to get it work through Winestable

1. First go into your existing Wineskin P99 .app file (show package contents) and then navigate to your Everquest folder, for me it was Drive C>Program Files > Sony > Everquest. Find your eqgame.exe file in there.

2. Open up Wine Stable.

3. In Wine stable type cd THEN drag and drop your eqgame.exe file from the Wineskin directory into Wine Stable. BE SURE TO DELETE ALL OF EQGAME.EXE so your path just ends at the Everquest folder, NOT at Everquest/eqgame.exe but Everquest HIT ENTER

4. Then type wine THEN drag and drop eqgame.exe back into Wine Stable again THEN hit space and type patchme, hit enter.

So close, I can now launch the screen but have a greyed out/white screen as previously reported. Is there a fix for this?

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 07:29 PM
Everything works great for me except my text looks somewhat blurry, I have tried other fonts and some of them look ok. I don't understand why I can't use the default arial and have it not be somewhat blurry but small problem to have.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 07:30 PM
So close, I can now launch the screen but have a greyed out/white screen as previously reported. Is there a fix for this?

When you do the cd screen, does wine say anything to you back? If it does you might not be clearing out everything you need to clear out. It should just nonreactively accept the command, it shouldn't shoot any text out at you.

Slackerkid26
09-09-2019, 07:35 PM
When you do the cd screen, does wine say anything to you back? If it does you might not be clearing out everything you need to clear out. It should just nonreactively accept the command, it shouldn't shoot any text out at you.

Shooting a ton of text back, which files need to be cleared out? Thanks again for the help!

MikeXG
09-09-2019, 07:52 PM
I'm working on a bash script for shortcut, not sure if it will work but I hope so. If anyone else has a shortcut, let me know.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 07:55 PM
Shooting a ton of text back, which files need to be cleared out? Thanks again for the help!

You don't need to clear any files out, leave all as it is. When you are doing the cd command though you don't want eqgame.exe in the command.

So for example, my p99 wineskin.app is on my desktop

THE cd command for me is:

cd /Users/username/Desktop/JanoEQ.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest

it would not be

cd /Users/username/Desktop/JanoEQ.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest/eqgame.exe

draconov
09-09-2019, 08:14 PM
So I got this thing to finally run through wine stables. I get the message Error in your GUI xml files. Check your ui text files. Any fix for this? I copied files carefully and didn't copy paste folders (huge mistake I made long ago).

jacobar
09-09-2019, 08:29 PM
An hpdate here with my stuff. wine_stable version yea. it seems that everything works fine on wine v3.0 bot nothing works right on wine 4.0

Henlolizar
09-09-2019, 08:35 PM
Everything works great for me except my text looks somewhat blurry, I have tried other fonts and some of them look ok. I don't understand why I can't use the default arial and have it not be somewhat blurry but small problem to have.

Yes I have that pixelated/blurry text effect as well, and every time I zone, my display turns to really high gamma momentarily. Neither are terrible, but a bit strange.

draconov
09-09-2019, 08:53 PM
Update: I didn't even use wine stables. Just opened up my old wineskin link and it worked.

szjanoski
09-09-2019, 09:03 PM
Yes I have that pixelated/blurry text effect as well, and every time I zone, my display turns to really high gamma momentarily. Neither are terrible, but a bit strange.

Anyone know a way to fix this? Changing font size to a bigger font size sort of fixes it, but only in the chat windows. All the other text (Spells, hotkeys, group etc) stay blurry

chchen
09-09-2019, 09:44 PM
Update: I didn't even use wine stables. Just opened up my old wineskin link and it worked.

That's cool.
Do you mean that we can solve it by merely downgrade wineskin version?
What is the version of your old wineskin? Thanks!!

draconov
09-09-2019, 09:58 PM
I didn't downgrade anything. I kept the same version for years. I was at my last resort too. Was about to give up with stables when I said " What the hell, I'll just open it up like I've always done". Boom, it just worked. Running High Sierra still with Wineskin 2.6.2 wrapper.

Chintofv
09-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Thanks! Downloaded the 2.6 version of wineskin, reinstalled, and now I am back in action.

Videri
09-10-2019, 02:48 AM
Thanks! Downloaded the 2.6 version of wineskin, reinstalled, and now I am back in action.

Can you link to the 2.6 version or 2.6.2? I can only find the version 1.7 download link.

kabouter
09-10-2019, 04:33 AM
I didn't downgrade anything. I kept the same version for years. I was at my last resort too. Was about to give up with stables when I said " What the hell, I'll just open it up like I've always done". Boom, it just worked. Running High Sierra still with Wineskin 2.6.2 wrapper.

That's odd, you didn't change anything compared to the first time you tried?

I can't get it working at all, used to open it with Wineskin 2.6.2 before.

Was careful as well not to copy complete folders so the issue is definitely not there. However I am running Mac OS Mojave, so that might be why it isn't working.

Hope they come with an update for us mac users who aren't so tech savvy.

Chintofv
09-10-2019, 06:06 AM
Can you link to the 2.6 version or 2.6.2? I can only find the version 1.7 download link.

When you open wineskin winery, you will need to delete your current engine by hitting the minus button. Then, hit the plus button. search for 2.6. Select that engine, then install like normal.

Ayla
09-10-2019, 07:11 AM
My shellscript looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

export WINEDEBUG=-d3d,fixme-all,-loaddll,err-all
export FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35"

cd ".wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Sony/EverQuest"
wine eqgame.exe patchme

The first export suppresses the errors and warnings.

The second export fixes the blurred fonts issues by setting another font handling in xquartz

I have a short cut on my desktop to Wine Stable and start the shellscript in the terminal window that opens by type sh Everquest.sh

3d_glasses
09-10-2019, 08:07 AM

Do you mean you got it to work using only wineskin or wineskin+wine ?

3d_glasses
09-10-2019, 09:11 AM
When you open wineskin winery, you will need to delete your current engine by hitting the minus button. Then, hit the plus button. search for 2.6. Select that engine, then install like normal.

I did this and it WORKS! Yahoo thanks so much

draconov
09-10-2019, 09:33 AM
That's odd, you didn't change anything compared to the first time you tried?

I can't get it working at all, used to open it with Wineskin 2.6.2 before.

Was careful as well not to copy complete folders so the issue is definitely not there. However I am running Mac OS Mojave, so that might be why it isn't working.

Hope they come with an update for us mac users who aren't so tech savvy.

Yeah this fix was for people who upgraded to high Sierra. Unsure about Mojave. Did you try the wine stable method that has been working for everyone (did not work for me)?

wagorf
09-10-2019, 09:58 AM
wine stable worked for me, im a wineskin user using mojave 10.14.6

after inputting the command in terminal window under wine stable, it threw a bunch of build errors like some has previously posted, and popped a window asking to install something, i canceled it, it threw few more lines of errors , then the game started

yes game is playable but something is wrong with the gamma/color/text - the gamma issue extends to other applications such as my browser and stuff, something isn't right

MikeXG
09-10-2019, 10:19 AM
wine stable worked for me, im a wineskin user using mojave 10.14.6

after inputting the command in terminal window under wine stable, it threw a bunch of build errors like some has previously posted, and popped a window asking to install something, i canceled it, it threw few more lines of errors , then the game started

yes game is playable but something is wrong with the gamma/color/text - the gamma issue extends to other applications such as my browser and stuff, something isn't right

I had the gamma issue also, i went into the games options menu and lowered the gamma to 50% looks totally normal across all applications now. Hope that helps!

erlkoenig
09-10-2019, 12:15 PM
FWIW I get the weird gamma behavior on my Windows PC, too.

ssin314
09-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Has anyone been able to get this working using Vile's install? Been using this since i couldn't get Wineskin working correctly originally when I first started the game.

Also, if I am to go the wine route and need to DL EQ Titanium, is there a mac version for it? or can I just use the regular PC version of Ttitanium?

Videri
09-10-2019, 11:17 PM
Also, if I am to go the wine route and need to DL EQ Titanium, is there a mac version for it? or can I just use the regular PC version of Ttitanium?

Use the PC version. Also, I doubt there is a Mac one. We Mac users are running PC software inside a wrapper or partition.

kabouter
09-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Has anyone been able to get this working using Vile's install? Been using this since i couldn't get Wineskin working correctly originally when I first started the game.

Not me I'm still hoping on a new version of the dsetup.dll file that works with the Vile's version.

I was hoping that now they added the pet window again with update 49b, it would be working again, but I'm afraid not.

I hope there will be someone who can fix Vile's version.

Videri
09-10-2019, 11:34 PM

Thanks. I deleted my other engines and added 2.6. However, this didn't make my old wrapper start working again. Would reinstalling help?

I have been able to log in using Wine Stable, but it still feels visually uncomfortable (gamma and fonts). I hope to get Winery working again.

Chintofv
09-11-2019, 06:06 AM
Thanks. I deleted my other engines and added 2.6. However, this didn't make my old wrapper start working again. Would reinstalling help?

I have been able to log in using Wine Stable, but it still feels visually uncomfortable (gamma and fonts). I hope to get Winery working again.

I just created a new wrapper using the older engine.

szjanoski
09-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Has anyone found a fix for using Wineskin? I got it to work using Wine Stable but the fonts look like shit, blurry/pixelated.

busted
09-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Hey friends!

Is there verified working fix for this?

I see some people saying partial fixes (but blurry text/crashes etc)

Many thanks for the debugging ya'll have done!

erlkoenig
09-12-2019, 02:50 PM
I think you can replace some font files with Wine Stable to de-fuzz the text. Haven’t done it myself, but might be worth Googling.

I suspect this font file is included with Wineskin, hence the difference with Stable.

Rick Sanchez
09-12-2019, 02:55 PM
I love overpaying for lesser computer parts. /mac.

Atychiphobia
09-12-2019, 03:43 PM
I love overpaying for lesser computer parts. /mac.

It's not only about the hardware in 2019. I like Mac OS more than windows for work, but depends on your situation.

Might just buy a cheap PC to play P99 and so I can get GINA timers, will be crucial for /pet report on green.

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 03:57 PM
Has anyone found a fix for using Wineskin? I got it to work using Wine Stable but the fonts look like shit, blurry/pixelated.

Yes, if you do everything in this video except: use wineskin wrapper 2.6, not the CX something they use. It works with that. Its been a little buggy - when I run it sometimes doesnt open the window and goes away. This happened first after I adjusted the size of the windowed mode by changing the W and L numbers. When this happened again I just opened the client file and didnt do anything and then opened up the 'everquest' wineskin app and it worked again.
ALSO I did not remove the zone files they say to remove because the update said they do not need to be removed anymore.

ALSO ALSO, Reagan just put out updated P99 files and he mentioned changing the DLL I believe. For this reason, you may be able to just run it the old way after adding the files; however I have not tried this.

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 03:58 PM

This is the video I am referring to above

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 04:57 PM

This is the video I am referring to above

That method no longer works with v49. dsetup.dll causes Wineskin to not launch at least with Mojave. I'm about to give up, it seems futile(no disrespect meant). I have it working with both Wine Stable and Bootcamping windows but wine stable distorts fonts and I just don't want to bootcamp. It was a good run though.

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Yes, if you do everything in this video except: use wineskin wrapper 2.6, not the CX something they use. It works with that. Its been a little buggy - when I run it sometimes doesnt open the window and goes away. This happened first after I adjusted the size of the windowed mode by changing the W and L numbers. When this happened again I just opened the client file and didnt do anything and then opened up the 'everquest' wineskin app and it worked again.
ALSO I did not remove the zone files they say to remove because the update said they do not need to be removed anymore.

ALSO ALSO, Reagan just put out updated P99 files and he mentioned changing the DLL I believe. For this reason, you may be able to just run it the old way after adding the files; however I have not tried this.

The CX they use in the video is the engine, not the wrapper.

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 05:07 PM
The CX they use in the video is the engine, not the wrapper.

Ok engine then. Do what the video says but use the 2.6 engine. I did what I'm explaining to you and it works for me...

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 05:10 PM
Ok engine then. Do what the video says but use the 2.6 engine. I did what I'm explaining to you and it works for me...

Tell me what engine you are using exactly and I will try it(this video is the method I have always used up until v49). The most updated wrapper version is 2.6.2 which makes me think you may be confused. Also, are you on the most up to date version of Mac OS?

Thanks

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Actually reading through your post history, you may mean Wineskin application version 2.6.0?

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 06:10 PM
Actually reading through your post history, you may mean Wineskin application version 2.6.0?

No I don't, use engine WS9Wine2.6

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 06:11 PM

I am on El Capitan 10.11.6

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 06:15 PM
I am on El Capitan 10.11.6

Could be that's why its working for you, El Capitan will be 4 years old on the 30th. I'll try WS9Wine2.6 though, thanks for the suggestions.

3d_glasses
09-12-2019, 06:21 PM
Could be that's why its working for you, El Capitan will be 4 years old on the 30th. I'll try WS9Wine2.6 though, thanks for the suggestions.

I dont know I also used that P99 video to install the game and have been playing with no problems since last winter. When I updated my everquest files with the latest update, it would not start any longer. I discovered the solution I told you through the posts in this thread. It was not until I reinstalled everything using the different engine that it worked.

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 06:25 PM
I dont know I also used that P99 video to install the game and have been playing with no problems since last winter. When I updated my everquest files with the latest update, it would not start any longer. I discovered the solution I told you through the posts in this thread. It was not until I reinstalled everything using the different engine that it worked.

Gonna try using engine WS9Wine2.6 reinstall here soon, appreciate the suggestions whether or not it works. I never had an issue either until v49 and I've been on p99 since January 2016. I am also using the most recent Mac OS , we shall see here shortly.

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 08:14 PM
Yeah it didn't work, I imagine it has to do with you using a 4 year old version of mac os. Thanks anyway though

Chortles Snort|eS
09-12-2019, 11:08 PM
So should I setup Boot CAmp Windows 10 tomorrow, or does the wine wrapper fix actually work on Mojave 10.14.6 and does p1999 opeRate well, visually, etc. ?

Pls adviSe

tyty

Hideousclaw
09-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Can confirmed that Erlkoenig's instructions worked for me.

[insert German Romantic art song joke here]

LURED BY THE ELF KING!

In seinen Armen das Kind war tot.

szjanoski
09-12-2019, 11:22 PM
So should I setup Boot CAmp Windows 10 tomorrow, or does the wine wrapper fix actually work on Mojave 10.14.6 and does p1999 opeRate well, visually, etc. ?

Pls adviSe

tyty

Did not work for me on Mojave 10.14.16, installing the way I always have in addition to trying with suggestions to use 2.6 engine.

Wyclef31
09-13-2019, 02:12 AM
Yeah I am on Mojave and can confirm that none of the suggested fixes here will work if you have this operating system of Mac. I almost got it to work in the WineStable, but it kept giving me a ui bug that no matter what i did could not be fixed. I am no expert though. Best bet might be using bootcamp to install windows - that is my next attempt.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-13-2019, 07:16 AM
tKs guISe

kabouter
09-13-2019, 07:32 AM
Yeah I am on Mojave and can confirm that none of the suggested fixes here will work if you have this operating system of Mac. I almost got it to work in the WineStable, but it kept giving me a ui bug that no matter what i did could not be fixed. I am no expert though. Best bet might be using bootcamp to install windows - that is my next attempt.

Same for me I'm on Mojave.

I'll just wait for the next p1999 update and hope the dsetup.dll file is fixed then. Because that is the reason why it isn't working.

Wineskin worked perfect before, I don't want to run bootcamp, because that means I can't do any multitasking.

Perhaps if this setup.dll file doesn't get fixed Parallels might be an option or will p1999 run to slow then?

Chortles Snort|eS
09-13-2019, 08:44 AM
IMO this macOS only DLL issue does NOT sound like a quick fix scenario.

Consider BootCamp, as it will at least allow you to play!

Valakut
09-13-2019, 08:54 AM
updated eq on a mac using wine without copying over UI file folder and it crashed after the character login screen.

copied over the ui files folder

p99files49b working like a gem on mac with wine.

szjanoski
09-13-2019, 09:27 AM
updated eq on a mac using wine without copying over UI file folder and it crashed after the character login screen.

copied over the ui files folder

p99files49b working like a gem on mac with wine.

What version of Mac OS are you running though?

kabouter
09-14-2019, 12:43 AM
IMO this macOS only DLL issue does NOT sound like a quick fix scenario.

Consider BootCamp, as it will at least allow you to play!

Meh I'll wait till one of the techies in this thread figures out a solution with wineskin instead.

Hopefully before green launches :).

I guess it is because of the new anti cheating code that was implemented in the last dll file. However as far as I can see there are also some users on windows and linux experiencing problems, so it might be that they implement it in a different way with the next patch, fingers crossed.

szjanoski
09-14-2019, 11:36 AM
I have two macs, both were running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.16 until last night. I took my 2013 MacBook air and formatted the drive and did a OS recovery. That brought my mac air OS all the way back to 10.10.5 High Sierra. I can CONFIRM that if you are a running a 5 year old OS and switch your Wineskin engine to WS9Wine2.6 from the original WS8WineCXG10.3.0 Wineskin will indeed work with P99. This method however does not work with Mojave at all. It seems the best option for Mojave users will be to either use VM software or bootcamp Windows.

Note: Windows does offer free downloads of Windows 10 ISO that you will not even need to activate(unless you want customization features) to work. If Mojave users are going to bootcamp and download the Windows 10 ISO, bootcamp essentially does everything for you so you really need no technical knowledge.

Stargazer
09-14-2019, 11:57 AM
What about with El Capitain? Are there any known issues to trying the WS9Wine2.6?

szjanoski
09-14-2019, 12:14 PM
What about with El Capitain? Are there any known issues to trying the WS9Wine2.6?

If you have your original wineskin p99 app still installed, just test it by changing the engine to WS9wine2.6

Someone on this thread said they have it working with El Capitan. On a serious note, Mojave is far superior than these versions and Bootcamping windows would be a better idea. You can get a perma free copy of Windows 10 iso from Windows.

chchen
09-14-2019, 03:40 PM
If you have your original wineskin p99 app still installed, just test it by changing the engine to WS9wine2.6

Someone on this thread said they have it working with El Capitan. On a serious note, Mojave is far superior than these versions and Bootcamping windows would be a better idea. You can get a perma free copy of Windows 10 iso from Windows.

Thanks for your information. I have succeed login and playing by changing to WS9wine2.6 Engine. My mac os version is El Capitan.

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 03:46 PM
setting up BootCamp now finally... let's see if dis works

szjanoski
09-14-2019, 05:18 PM
setting up BootCamp now finally... let's see if dis works

It works perfect on Bootcamp

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 05:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oEOwZBm.jpg

Confirmed p1999 operational on Mojave 10.14.6 via bootcamp partition Windows 10 installation

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

then ran windows 10 updates until none left
then
**used vile's install folder and then transferred it via USB to the bootcamp windows 10 partition and then patched it with p1999 zip
then
excluded Windows 10 Trojan warning (pls dont look at ex ogre gf nudes) and allowed it to run and turned windows defender off
**granted, i had to click through a bunch of errors after launching the p1999 patch files exe, but it appears to work

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 05:53 PM
it does run a hell of a lot better in 2019 Windows 10 vs 2017 windows 7 i might add

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 06:59 PM
also if you lower gamma to 15 night time looks quite classic to me

Rogean
09-14-2019, 07:57 PM
it does run a hell of a lot better in 2019 Windows 10 vs 2017 windows 7 i might add

Windows 7 came out in 2009 >_>

Chortles Snort|eS
09-14-2019, 09:41 PM
i had a windows 7 iso easily accessible at the time at work in 2017 when i was messin around with bootcamp figurin it out
wanna pvp fite?

(kidding)

kabouter
09-15-2019, 07:00 AM
Are we allowed to run p1999 in parallels?

I vaguely remember reading that it wasn't allowed due to people multi boxing. If it is allowed I'll give that a try, since bootcamp probably isn't an option for most mac users.

I like to play short session while still being able to take skype calls/send emails, etc... Don't want to set that all up in Bootcamp.

On the up side I guess we can use GINA then.

Tethelin
09-15-2019, 07:28 AM
Can confirm using engine WS9wine2.6 works on Sierra. I did a fresh install to get it working. Possible I didn't need to, but I'm on now.

Atychiphobia
09-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Was a bit fed up with playing on a mac so I packed up my old laptop from 2012-2013. Updated to windows 10 and it runs sooo much better than my 2015 macbook pro.

Also now I am able to use GINA timers so I am not looking back.

I wish you all good luck!

Jahdu
09-15-2019, 09:22 AM
I did a fresh install using the steps in this video https://youtu.be/_xfNbEUVweM
The only difference was I used WS9Wine2.6 instead of WS8WineCXG10.3.0
I'm running Yosemite on an iMac. Works fine.

Regarding the Velious folder in patch, instead of dragging and dropping it into the uifiles folder I made a folder called velious and dragged and dropped the contents of the Velious (patch) folder into the new folder. I don't know if this makes any difference what so ever but that's the way I did it.

Also right click on your shortcut, go to Show Package Contents, double click on the Wineskin file. The Wineskin window opens up. Click on Set Screen Options. Here you can set the gamma if the game is opening up too dark for you.

Rogean
09-15-2019, 10:42 PM
if 49 worked and 49b doesn't, try this: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files49c.zip

kabouter
09-16-2019, 03:41 AM
if 49 worked and 49b doesn't, try this: http://www.project1999.com/files/P99Files49c.zip

Couldn't help but give this a try on macos mojave 10.14.6 even though 49 didn't work for me either.

Sadly it didn't work. Not sure what update in macOS broke it, fwiw swapping the dsetup file with the 47 version makes it possible to launch till the character select screen, but then we get the spells outdated message.

I've tried turning off the firewall on my mac, but that didn't change anything either. If anyone here on Mojave found a way to run p1999 without bootcamp, please let the rest of us know.

I'm sure this is not on the top of your list Rogean, but still thanks for looking into it!

Rogean
09-16-2019, 03:59 AM
Couldn't help but give this a try on macos mojave 10.14.6 even though 49 didn't work for me either.

Sadly it didn't work. Not sure what update in macOS broke it, fwiw swapping the dsetup file with the 47 version makes it possible to launch till the character select screen, but then we get the spells outdated message.

I've tried turning off the firewall on my mac, but that didn't change anything either. If anyone here on Mojave found a way to run p1999 without bootcamp, please let the rest of us know.

I'm sure this is not on the top of your list Rogean, but still thanks for looking into it!

You need to do what other people in this thread have been doing to get 49 to work, which afaik is using the latest version of Wine Stable. The 49c was for people that had 49 Working and 49b didn't.

jacobar
09-16-2019, 04:10 AM

This fixed things for me, thank you!

kabouter
09-16-2019, 09:31 PM
You need to do what other people in this thread have been doing to get 49 to work, which afaik is using the latest version of Wine Stable. The 49c was for people that had 49 Working and 49b didn't.

I couldn't get it working in wine stable either, I'm not sure if others that got it working are on Mojave yet. Either way I did see complaints about it being blurry on wine stable.

I'll give parallels a try when green comes out :).

kabouter
09-19-2019, 05:36 AM
If anyone is interested I've tested bootcamp but I had a lot of compatibility issues (macbook pro 15 - 2016).

1. No bluetooth
2. No external screen
3. Wifi kept dropping

I then tried my older version of parallels (13) with Mojave and to my surprise it worked perfectly. At least in the starter zones it seems like it is running at 60fps in window mode (1920x1200), not sure if there is any way to show the fps.

The newest version (15) should be better for games. So if others are in the same boat and rather not use bootcamp (or can't get it to work) then I can recommend parallels.

Videri
09-19-2019, 05:37 PM
So I set up a new Wineskin wrapper using the 2.6.2 engine, and it worked for a few days, but just now I crashed zoning and haven't been able to start it up again. When I open it, the icon in the dock pops up for just a moment and then sits back down like I didn't just open it.

I guess I could reinstall yet again (I almost have the process memorized) but I'd have to rearrange my UI on every character all over again. Any tips?

jacobar
09-19-2019, 05:43 PM
I couldn't get it working in wine stable either, I'm not sure if others that got it working are on Mojave yet. Either way I did see complaints about it being blurry on wine stable.

I'll give parallels a try when green comes out :).

If its blury you have to make sure you install the "core fonts" with wine

jacobar
09-19-2019, 05:45 PM
(I almost have the process memorized)

3d_glasses
09-19-2019, 11:30 PM
So I set up a new Wineskin wrapper using the 2.6.2 engine, and it worked for a few days, but just now I crashed zoning and haven't been able to start it up again. When I open it, the icon in the dock pops up for just a moment and then sits back down like I didn't just open it.

I guess I could reinstall yet again (I almost have the process memorized) but I'd have to rearrange my UI on every character all over again. Any tips?

This would happen to me.sometimes after i set the windowed mode W and L to some pretty random numbers. When i set them back to what they were before it worked again. Then what you are saying happened again so i opened the eqclient.ini file again to see if something changed. It hadnt and i didn't change anything but when i opened up Everquest again it ran fine. In short, either try adjusting the windowed mode size in the eqclient.ini file or just open it and then after closing it try running the game.

Henlolizar
09-20-2019, 09:06 PM
Can anyone comment on the specific issue I'm having with Wine Stable?

admins-MacBook-Pro:EverQuest admin$ cd /Users/admin/Desktop/EQEMU/MyCoolWrapper1.app/Contents/Resources/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest
admins-MacBook-Pro:EverQuest admin$ wine eqgame.exe patchme
-bash: wine: command not found

the file path I copied is correct - dragged and dropped.